PoF: Newbie vs Vet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

So, a friend of mine and I were talking about the fact that PoF is going to be stand alone, and with 5 zones.

So that means a newcomer could start with a level 1 in PoF. If that happens, that means at least some of the zones have to be dedicated to sub-80 characters. And if THAT happens, just how much will be so, meaning how much will be less appealing to the veterans of the game?

It was an interesting conversation we had. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So, a friend of mine and I were talking about the fact that PoF is going to be stand alone, and with 5 zones.

So that means a newcomer could start with a level 1 in PoF. If that happens, that means at least some of the zones have to be dedicated to sub-80 characters. And if THAT happens, just how much will be so, meaning how much will be less appealing to the veterans of the game?

All of those are level 80 zones.

Morfedel.4165

and level 1 zones as well? Remember, they said this was a stand alone and that newcomers could come play in it too.

Morfedel.4165

And level 1 as well? Remember, they said this was a standalone that newcomers could play in too.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

and level 1 zones as well? Remember, they said this was a stand alone and that newcomers could come play in it too.

Standalone as in your don’t have to purchase HoT. All of the maps are level 80 and there’s nothing else being added for players to level up in. If they pre-purchase, they get a free level instant level 80 boost.

Posted by: Elyssandariel.2679

Elyssandariel.2679

I don’t think they will be level 1 zones. I think they mean stand alone, as in, you don’t have to have HoT to play it. But they will still be level 80 zones. It makes no sense for them to be level one zones. You have to go through the rest of the story first to know what is happening and who your character is and why they are called “Commander.”

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

You are putting too much emphasis on the word “standalone”. That doesn’t really mean a level 1 player will find level 1 zones.

Also if you purchase you get a free level 80 boost, so it hardly matters.

Posted by: Kusumura.8642

Kusumura.8642

I don’t think they will be level 1 zones. I think they mean stand alone, as in, you don’t have to have HoT to play it. But they will still be level 80 zones. It makes no sense for them to be level one zones. You have to go through the rest of the story first to know what is happening and who your character is and why they are called “Commander.”

To be fair, I’ve never gone past the level 30-something quest where you pick your choice of joining Red Valor, Blue Mystic or Yellow Instinct. Beyond choosing Yellow Instinct, so I could have access to some hidden spoopies here and there around the maps, I really didn’t bother with the quests. At all.

Still managed to figure out what was going on. Context is king, exposition dump is dumpy.

… Now that I look at the team names, I’m either avoiding spoilers, or I’m jumbling up my games. Pretty sure I’m on-point, though.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

If you buy just PoF, you get the core game as well. That’s the level 1-80 experience.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Standalone as it doesnt require Hot. It will still include the base game bundled with it and come with a lvl 80 booster.

Elyssandariel.2679

To be fair, I’ve never gone past the level 30-something quest where you pick your choice of joining Red Valor, Blue Mystic or Yellow Instinct. Beyond choosing Yellow Instinct, so I could have access to some hidden spoopies here and there around the maps, I really didn’t bother with the quests. At all.

Still managed to figure out what was going on. Context is king, exposition dump is dumpy.

… Now that I look at the team names, I’m either avoiding spoilers, or I’m jumbling up my games. Pretty sure I’m on-point, though.

Did you play any of the living world season stories? If so, you probably knew why you were the commander. Did you play Heart of Thorns? If so, more clues about being the commander. My point is, you didn’t start off at level 1 in a HoT map. And you more than likely won’t start off at level 1 in a PoF map, either. It wouldn’t make sense for those who DO play the story.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Did you play any of the living world season stories? If so, you probably knew why you were the commander. Did you play Heart of Thorns? If so, more clues about being the commander. My point is, you didn’t start off at level 1 in a HoT map. And you more than likely won’t start off at level 1 in a PoF map, either. It wouldn’t make sense for those who DO play the story.

Just play the personal story and you will know why everyone calls you that.

Elyssandariel.2679

Yes, if you play the personal story, you will definitely know. My point was, they didn’t play the personal story, and they still knew. How? Probably from playing the other bits of story available at level 80. Not level 1.

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

Well, for starters, it’s not really ‘stand alone’… as an expansion, it will likely come with the core game as well. So there will be plenty of places to take a fresh character.

And as someone that accepted a challenge from a friend in HoT, I raised an engineer from 2 – 80 solely in HoT and LS3 maps, no tomes, no teams, no HP trains. There doen’t need to be places in these maps geared for nuhblets, in my opinion. ;D

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s ‘standalone’ in the sense that you can just buy Path of Fire (which comes with the base game included).

You don’t need to buy the original GW2 and then Heart of Thorns and then Path of Fire – which is what you’d have to do with a lot of games.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Morfedel.4165

ah, so I misunderstood that. I thought it meant you didnt even get the core game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you mouse-over any of the packages for offer on the official store site, you will see it states, “Get immediate access to the core Guild Wars 2 game upon redemption of… (the) serial code”, so all Path of Fire purchases include Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I think you’re forgetting that the core game is free and included in PoF

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Level 1 to 80 zones will be the base game which is free to play now.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

It’s a standalone xpac that will obviously include the vanilla version. So go to queensdale and level your ass up.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s a standalone xpac that will obviously include the vanilla version. So go to queensdale and level your ass up.

I didn’t see anything about a donkey mount in the announcements and you can’t level the expansion masteries in a core map. :p