PoF Preview: Pot of Soup Mastery Point

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ryokuro.8125

Ryokuro.8125

This mini game, mastery point thing is awful (that’s my opinion). It might just be because latency is high at the moment, or it’s just naturally buggy… but here’s the issue.

Myself, and a few others tried several times, and gave up after those infuriating attempts. Getting the ingredients is easy enough, aiming your throw at the Chef is easy enough, but actually getting the food items to him, is near impossible. If the Chef moves at all, your throw misses him, even if he’s in the circle. There are several times that even if you hit the Chef with the food, it doesn’t register. And then there’s the current time limit, which due the above issues, is not nearly long enough.

Core i7 3770K OC’d @ 4.5Ghz ~Asus P8Z77 V-Deluxe
GTX980 Strix ~ 32GB RAM
Crucial m4 256Gb SSD ~ Seagate 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD

(edited by Ryokuro.8125)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

be patient and remember where the ingredients are, that’s all you need. Chef will have a period of idle after running, wait until then to throw.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Roggle.2901

Roggle.2901

Overall, I don’t think the mastery point is that bad. Once I memorized his movement pattern it was much easier to get the food to the right place each time. The latency making aiming difficult and the Chef’s frequent movement does get frustrating, but I like the tight time limit — makes it a bit of a challenge.

That said, there are a couple QoL improvements I would like to see with that mastery point, especially since most people will have to make several (or many) attempts at it:

1. Shorten the pre-minigame dialogue for attempts past the first. Maybe add in another dialogue option to the pot for subsequent attempts that lets you go right to the minigame without the same explanation every time. The repetitive instructions at the start of each attempt were my least favorite thing about it.

2. Spread out some of the food items. This is mainly directed at the “clusters” of food items near the ovens where it’s possible to be within interaction range of two or three at the same time. I had a few attempts where I felt like I was standing right in front of the item I needed, grabbed the wrong one, and didn’t realize it until I threw it and the chef told me I was an idiot (or something along those lines). With the tight time limit, that’s almost enough to guarantee a failed attempt. Alternatively…

3. Make it clearer which food item we’re holding. If there was some way to identify the item we’re holding, we could see when we grab the wrong one and correct it more quickly than running and throwing the wrong item, and then having to run back.

I feel like with these minor improvements, a lot of the frustration could be reduced with the minigame while preserving the challenge.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

I tried this several times, and usually messed up a throw due to the chef moving just as I was throwing an ingredient. However, on my final try, I finally managed to not miss with any of the throws, but I still ran out of time. WTH?

Seems like the timer needs to be raised to make this actually be achieveable. It would also help if the chef didn’t move, or the target radius was bumped up.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: Galmac.4680

Galmac.4680

Just give it some tries. I got this point after like 6 attempts.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Agreed OP. What’s worse is that you have to play near flawless and you have to be lucky with the RNG. Sometimes he asks you for ingredients on the opposite side of the room 3 times in a row, when that happens you’re almost guaranteed to fail.

The mini game also drags on for way too long. I eventually managed to do it but only because I had luck with the RNG and a friend of mine was helping me by making sure I had permanent swiftness.

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

I like the minigame, but I’d say there’s too many food items spaced strangely. It’d be improved if there were fewer items or they were more closely clustered by type (meats in one place, fishes another, fruits, sauces/water/wolf pheromones). If there were fewer items in general it’d be better because you wouldn’t have to run around trying to speedread all the text on the first couple tries, or if the items were clustered by area it’d be more of a logic puzzle to go through mentally “oh that’s a fish it’ll be in that corner”. But it doesn’t matter too much since it’s only run once per account I suppose.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Posted by: Roggle.2901

Roggle.2901

Agreed OP. What’s worse is that you have to play near flawless and you have to be lucky with the RNG. Sometimes he asks you for ingredients on the opposite side of the room 3 times in a row, when that happens you’re almost guaranteed to fail.

The mini game also drags on for way too long. I eventually managed to do it but only because I had luck with the RNG and a friend of mine was helping me by making sure I had permanent swiftness.

These are good points too. The overall spread of the items makes the RNG factor bigger (especially with the ones around the corner from the majority of items), and by the end of my successful attempt it did feel a bit long.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I sat there watching people trying to do this and even switched to herald to give them swiftness. Alas, none of the poor souls were able to complete this. lol.

Posted by: Mudblup.5467

Mudblup.5467

It took me around 6-7 tries but i didn’t think it was that bad once i had everything memorized. When he is running, I would get ready to throw where he would stop and i had plenty of time. If he is already there and his hands go down, don’t throw and wait for his next stop. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

This one is awful. When I first saw it I liked the idea of something different but it is too hard to grab and target the chef before the timer runs out. I managed to get several but could not sustain for the length of time to get it. One I won’t bother with if it is going to be another mini game that I hate.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

It’s going to require a few tries.
Once you have somewhat memorized where most ingredients are, all you need to do is wait for the chef to stop (or be about to stop) before throwing them and reallocate yourself towards the center of the room.
Everything else is RNG (you may still fail some tries cause of bad luck).

(edited by Vargamonth.2047)

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

What I see here is people not being able to do it because of their personal problem(latency or lack of skill/patience) not the issue with the actual point.
I love it and it took me 5-6 tries.
I hope they will implement mastery points like this more often where you have to do something for them not “commune with this…”

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t like it either. My first impression was, “Cool an easy mastery point in the starting area to give me a start on my new mastery.” Then , “Darn a timed mini game similar to HoT adventures.” I thought some of the feedback from HoT was that people didn’t care for such things, maybe I am wrong. At least it isn’t locked behind a certain time on the map. Not my cup of tea as I find it not really challenging in a good way and more just annoying, but I suppose some people like things like that. An activity players will only complete once and never do again, maybe thankfully, because mastery points are account wide.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

See WoW has similar quests like this, but they implement it much better and give people more time to do things. Plus you are usually aiming at a static spot like a pot instead of an npc that likes to run around a lot.

Aerinndis.2730

See WoW has similar quests like this, but they implement it much better and give people more time to do things. Plus you are usually aiming at a static spot like a pot instead of an npc that likes to run around a lot.

Throwing it in the pot makes a lot more sense to me. That or take it to a prep table. I could live with that even if it meant putting a lot of ingredients in.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I got this on my third try, but my main complaint about this minigame is that literally ANYTHING blocks the throw. Even the 1 foot high counters block the throw.

Adjusting the throw arcs a little bit would fix this problem.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Took three tries to get it. Got a bit thrown off on the second try by the fact that the boar meat is not from the roasted pig on the table. Once I got the correct association between name and location it was pretty easy, this is definitely something I would recommend doing with sound.

It did feel a bit too long. I think it cycled through the ingredients at least 3 times.

Also what is up with the running around? If he is going to run around anyway what is the point of having someone around grabbing the ingredients for him?

I got this on my third try, but my main complaint about this minigame is that literally ANYTHING blocks the throw. Even the 1 foot high counters block the throw.

Adjusting the throw arcs a little bit would fix this problem.

Failed a throw due to the table with the shark meat. After that I just moved to the center/corner of the room for throwing.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I want the option to just kill the chef and take the soup. kitten the good guy kitten.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I could see this as some Activity to do, but not as a Mastery Point.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

It is doable, but I felt it was somewhat buggy.

Sometimes he would ask for an ingredient that was well away from others and when I threw it to him he would say “this is not what I wanted” and my timer would continue to go down.

So very annoying mastery point, but doable.

That being said, still think the expansion is looking very solid – for sure making me consider buying it (but I am still holding to the elite spec tests and hoping that the balance team does a better job with what is currently on the table as last patch had a lot of iffy things).

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

My problem is the item would miss even if he was standing still as well as the short time limit. Ive probably tried it 20-30 times and most of the time I cant get past the first ingredient because he wont catch it.

(edited by Silvercyclone.1462)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Did you use auto snap to target? Guaranteed to hit him if he’s standing still (unless latency is an issue, perhaps). I drafted a rather long-winded guide at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PoF-Spoiler-Puzzle-MPs-Tips-Tricks/first#post6691935

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

Got it on the 3rd try. First two times I failed due to his timing, running, being behind something that got in the way when my item was way on the other side. Even if he appears to be in the green target area, if there is a counter or some other obstruction it won’t hit.

I stopped, watched his pattern, went around and tried to remember where everything was. After about 2 minutes of research tried again and got it. Sometimes you just have to wait for him to move to the next station if there is stuff in the way and do a quick throw.

Posted by: Shena Fu.5792

Shena Fu.5792

i’m standing right behind him, and still misses. somehow throws it 10 feet away.

OKAY i got it now. The skill it GROUND targeted. so throw it at the ground where he is standing. targeting him doesn’t matter.

(edited by Shena Fu.5792)

Posted by: SunTzu.4513

SunTzu.4513

Mäh my most hated type of content is also in PoF. Every minigame wich need movement is my nemesis. Quit HoT first time in case of the minigame wich i need for the ascendet heroldshield.

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

Went for the first item, failed. That was it for me.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

More timed mini-games? Did the devs learn nothing from the feedback in HoT?

Posted by: Sarpan.9074

Sarpan.9074

Overall, I don’t think the mastery point is that bad. Once I memorized his movement pattern it was much easier to get the food to the right place each time. The latency making aiming difficult and the Chef’s frequent movement does get frustrating, but I like the tight time limit — makes it a bit of a challenge.

That said, there are a couple QoL improvements I would like to see with that mastery point, especially since most people will have to make several (or many) attempts at it:

1. Shorten the pre-minigame dialogue for attempts past the first. Maybe add in another dialogue option to the pot for subsequent attempts that lets you go right to the minigame without the same explanation every time. The repetitive instructions at the start of each attempt were my least favorite thing about it.

2. Spread out some of the food items. This is mainly directed at the “clusters” of food items near the ovens where it’s possible to be within interaction range of two or three at the same time. I had a few attempts where I felt like I was standing right in front of the item I needed, grabbed the wrong one, and didn’t realize it until I threw it and the chef told me I was an idiot (or something along those lines). With the tight time limit, that’s almost enough to guarantee a failed attempt. Alternatively…

3. Make it clearer which food item we’re holding. If there was some way to identify the item we’re holding, we could see when we grab the wrong one and correct it more quickly than running and throwing the wrong item, and then having to run back.

I feel like with these minor improvements, a lot of the frustration could be reduced with the minigame while preserving the challenge.

I really dislike the minigames but these are good suggestions if we have to live with this. At least you only have to do it once since it’s an MP.

I gave it a few shots then stopped. I’ll save up my frustrating experience for when it’s permanent.

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

This THE BEST mastery point in the game so far. I am biased a bit as an F&B manager.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I got it on the third try. It’s nice to have something different than just walking up to a point and “communicating” with it. ~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Ayli.1027

Ayli.1027

I hate anything timed. I don’t do adventures in HoT, completed most of them for the collections though. I tried this chef mastery for over an hour and couldn’t do it. I gave up on it for now. Maybe it will be improved with the suggestions above.

Posted by: BogdanInalt.3658

BogdanInalt.3658

I tried fustrating many times and last i got it, because that dialogue it look like shutters when chef move around and will hard to read it all and disappear in seconds. But again chef sometimes run and i missed it when my time runs out.
Should be dialog in chat to make easy to ready it?

Aerinndis.2730

Make it more realistic a real chef would not run around like a chicken with it’s head cut off around the kitchen… I could see sending a sou chef to get the item and bringing it to the chef while he is at one spot doing his work. That or let us just throw it in the pot.

Posted by: LaCoria.8549

LaCoria.8549

I think this is a great concept for a mini-game for a mastery point. That being said, the chef does move around way too much, and the fact that there is a delay to your throw means you often miss right as he’s running to the next spot. Sure, you can memorize his movements, but more often than not, if you miss even 1 throw, the time you lose in him running around guarantees a fail.