PoF - Purchase Clarification

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zushada.6108

Zushada.6108

A few of my friends have come over from another game recently and are playing on free accounts. They would like to purchase the HoT unlocks but have been holding off until the announcement of the PoF release date.

I just took a look at the bundle postings and they indicate that PoF and the core Central Tyria is included; however, there is not indication of whether the HoT content is as well.

Can you please confirm or deny that HoT is included in this price?

Thank you for clarifying!

Posted by: Fishae.2503

Fishae.2503

HoT is not included when buying PoF but there should be a bundle for HoT + PoF

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

A few of my friends have come over from another game recently and are playing on free accounts. They would like to purchase the HoT unlocks but have been holding off until the announcement of the PoF release date.

I just took a look at the bundle postings and they indicate that PoF and the core Central Tyria is included; however, there is not indication of whether the HoT content is as well.

HoT is not included in the price, however you can add HoT to your cart when buying PoF and receive a discount.

Posted by: Invisible Pete.7290

Invisible Pete.7290

PoF is a standalone expansion pack.

Arenanet announced that HoT can be purchased as a combo along with PoF, at a reduced price.

You just need to pick which version of PoF you want, then during checkout you can add HoT (I believe the price for adding HoT was $20 [US]).

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

: “With the purchase of any edition of Path of Fire, you can add in Heart of Thorns during checkout and purchase both expansions together for less than the combined prices of the expansions. If you already own Heart of Thorns or only want to play Path of Fire, you can purchase Path of Fire separately.”

From https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010688287?_ga=2.111328580.133531747.1501525481-291613596.1411503758

So it looks like you pay a little bit more to add HoT in but can still get the bundle for less than HoT originally cost? There will be yelling from players over this, given the previous policy statement that all expansions would be included in the newest one. I bet they are trying to avoid the yelling about veterans not getting a discount for already owning previous releases. They can’t win here.

Posted by: Zushada.6108

Zushada.6108

Thank you, thank you! I was getting an error code when I went to look so I posted here. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I was hoping to bring an alternate account up to date from base game, I guess not now with HoT not being included in the price.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

HoT is not included in the price, however you can add HoT to your cart when buying PoF and receive a discount.

This is correct.

Buying the Bundle

The option to purchase the bundle of Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire will appear at the end of the purchase flow, when you are reviewing your order. Please note that if you already own HoT, the upgrade/bundle option will not appear. But if you do not own HoT and are looking to purchase Path of Fire and add Heart of Thorns at a reduced price, it should appear as I described above.

Please let me know if it does not appear for you, and thanks!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Just a question ; is it necessary to have HoT to play PoF ? Some friends are interested in the latter, but they don’t have the former.

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

No, PoF and HoT are totally separate.

Sorry…that was me….. :(

Posted by: robertjan.2197

robertjan.2197

This is correct.

Buying the Bundle

The option to purchase the bundle of Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire will appear at the end of the purchase flow, when you are reviewing your order. Please note that if you already own HoT, the upgrade/bundle option will not appear. But if you do not own HoT and are looking to purchase Path of Fire and add Heart of Thorns at a reduced price, it should appear as I described above.

If you received a level 80 boost from HoT, will you get one more for purchasing PoF?

Posted by: akenoyuki.8210

akenoyuki.8210

This is correct.

Buying the Bundle

May I ask another question? can you buy the PoF expansion with gem?

- Guild Wars 2 Helper Android App -
* Event Timer (including HoT Meta), Daily, WvW, Pact Supply, Account. Trading Post, etc:
* Google Playstore Link

Posted by: Rong.5470

Rong.5470

Well, my bro wants to buy GW2 expansion and…
the only option he sees is PoF + HoT (HoT NOT DISCOUNTED)
also he would buy HoT only for now (I think it’s good idea), but he can’t buy HoT alone… please try to fix it (or maybe fix bundle – he bought core gw2 long time ago and didn’t buy HoT – In my opinion there should be some special discount for these people ^^)

Also I’d like to ask (anyone) does pre-purchase of PoF is discounted?
Or we just can’t get miniatures and skins by purchasing ‘normal’ version in september for the same price?

(edited by Rong.5470)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Will there be a physical release?

I know we are going digital, but I like some physical goodies.

I would really love the ultimate edition in my Hand with some goodies, instead of just some gems.

Is there a chance for that? I might be too oldschool, though.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Also I’d like to ask (anyone) does pre-purchase of PoF is discounted?
Or we just can’t get miniatures and skins by purchasing ‘normal’ version in september in the same price?

This will be the standard pricing, not an early adopters price. People that pre-purchase just benefit from the extra trinkets that comes with the pre-order.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m pretty sure that you can’t buy the expansion with gems, but you can upgrade from the standard PoF to deluxe for 2400 gems ($30 vs $25 if you straight up buy deluxe). This was the same with HoT when it was shipped.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

If you received a level 80 boost from HoT, will you get one more for purchasing PoF?

Have bought it and can confirm I have another level 80 boost up there with the account slots

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

Two years ago they made a promise: every new expansion would contain previous expansions for free. Now people have to buy them in bundle.

Two years ago they also made a second promise: with every expansion release, all non-upgraded accounts would get previous expansions for free. Now old accounts of core game will no longer get HoT.

Seriously ArenaNet?! You started breaking promises now?

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: akenoyuki.8210

akenoyuki.8210

I’m pretty sure that you can’t buy the expansion with gems, but you can upgrade from the standard PoF to deluxe for 2400 gems ($30 vs $25 if you straight up buy deluxe). This was the same with HoT when it was shipped.

I see, I’ll start saving up for the next expansion then
Thanks for the info!

- Guild Wars 2 Helper Android App -
* Event Timer (including HoT Meta), Daily, WvW, Pact Supply, Account. Trading Post, etc:
* Google Playstore Link

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

No, PoF and HoT are totally separate.

Correct!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Zen.6384

Zen.6384

Yeah you lost me. I was waiting and excited to buy this expansion ONLY if it included HoT. Since you guys already tried to make me buy the base game twice with that overpriced bs, I’m not feelin it now. Sorry guys.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Go through the purchasing process and you’ll see. Or read the FAQ’s.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Two years ago they made a promise: every new expansion would contain previous expansions for free. Now people have to buy them in bundle.

Two years ago they also made a second promise: with every expansion release, all non-upgraded accounts would get previous expansions for free. Now old accounts of core game will no longer get HoT.

Sorry, that is completely inaccurate. Please read the materials again, as we never made such comments or promises at any time.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Have bought it and can confirm I have another level 80 boost up there with the account slots

Thanks for sharing that, Safari.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Zen.6384

So true, this is seriously messed up.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Sorry, that is completely inaccurate. Please read the materials again, as we never made such comments or promises at any time.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Business Model Clarification
…In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.-GW2 team June 22, 2015

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

They promised that for each new expansion, you could get the previous expansions for a single price point. They are remaining true to this in providing bundles.

I don’t recall them saying that you would get previous expansions for free anywhere. Care to link a source?

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

This is correct.

Buying the Bundle

nice ty.

however with gliding, poisens, and other stuff which is an absolute MUST have from HoTs, people need to get that and grind that first for the masteries (mastery grind is not good imho, all it does is limit content untill you grinded for x hours.)

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

They promised that for each new expansion, you could get the previous expansions for a single price point. They are remaining true to this in providing bundles.

I don’t recall them saying that you would get previous expansions for free anywhere. Care to link a source?

that would also be wierd. i can understand if when the third expansion comes out they then make hot free.

but making the last expansion free for each new one, instead of just cheap, would be wierd marketing and make people speculated in not getting the expansion bc, soon it is free.

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

You were never getting both HoT and PoF for $30.

Instead of $50 for both(regardless of whether you already have HoT or not) which is what many of us were expecting, we are getting PoF for $30 and for those who don’t have HoT, $20 for HoT on top of that if they want.

Sounds like a much better model.

Edit: topic I originally posted in got merged into this one

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

(edited by Arcadio.6875)

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

that would also be wierd. i can understand if when the third expansion comes out they then make hot free.

but making the last expansion free for each new one, instead of just cheap, would be wierd marketing and make people speculated in not getting the expansion bc, soon it is free.

Indeed. You are all right and I was wrong. For some reason I had a wrong information in memory: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Behellagh.1468

They never said that non-upgraded accounts would get previous expansions for free.

HoT released as $50. If you buy PoV with HoT it too will be $50. So for the same price as the first expansion you can get the both. Also if you already have HoT it’s cheaper. Everyone wins.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I guess the silence in regard to any physical copy means, that there won’t be a way to get one.

So if anything we will only be able to get the standart edition if we walk into a store and no other.

My GW Shelf won’t grow anymore I guess

Behellagh.1468

Well they do make less money on physical copies …

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Just to feedback, thanks for making it easy to pre-purchase. My bank declining it first time aside, the pop up in game meant it was quick and easy to sort out without doing it externally and waiting for serial code emails and then logging back in to apply the code.

I also thought your pricing was much better this time and although I didn’t really object with HoT, it is good to see the company addressing the feedback from last time.

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

So if HoT and PoF are totally separate (see above) then presumably anyone who buys PoF without also owning HoT can’t play Revenant in any form and doesn’t get gliding.
They should still get auto loot however as this is Tyrian mastery.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

They never said that non-upgraded accounts would get previous expansions for free.

HoT released as $50. If you buy PoV with HoT it too will be $50. So for the same price as the first expansion you can get the both. Also if you already have HoT it’s cheaper. Everyone wins.

There’s just one problem with this model:

Good luck ever seeing another player on the HoT maps once the new expo drops. There will be no reason for anyone to play them, except maybe for legendaries and a bit of gliding masteries. All new players will just read about how bad the story was and jump straight into PoF, rendering the maps dead.

This will, by extension, negatively effect the LS3 maps too, since they depend on people owning both HoT and LS3 to enter them.

We’re quickly heading towards a future where when you ask someone to port to you, they say “I don’t have HoT”, “I don’t have LS3”, “I don’t have PoF”, and this will only continue to build stacks with each new LS and expo.

On topic:
I am looking forward to the reduced cost for people who already own the game.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Ahhhh! Technically yes. When you buy HoT bundled with the new expansion you are paying “one single purchase price”. Unfortunately, they didn’t explain it back then as to how exactly that would work in the future. Due to the language being vague, some people assumed it meant that when a new expansion comes out, any previous expansions would be included for free.

So they didn’t lie, but they could have clarified things better.

P.S. Since I saw a comment about it, I’ll let everyone know. You can not buy the expansion for gems. You have to pay for it with real money.

On the home page of the gem store there is a large ad banner you can click on and it takes you to a page to upgrade your account by purchasing the new expansion. It’s $29.99 for standard, $54.99 for deluxe, and $79.99 for the ultimate edition. Cheaper than HoT. It’s easier to buy the expansion through the gem shop than dealing with their messed up shop page on guildwars2.com.

However, I’m assuming it will be like HoT where if you buy the standard edition, you can upgrade to the deluxe edition for gems. But there won’t be any way to upgrade to ultimate if you bought the standard or deluxe editions. Just like with HoT, the only difference between the deluxe and ultimate edition is that the ultimate edition includes 4,000 gems at a discount (ultimate is $25 more than deluxe and 4k gems is $50 dollars normally, so you get the gems at half price).

So if you want to upgrade your account to ultimate you’ll have to go straight for that.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Behellagh.1468

There’s just one problem with this model:

Good luck ever seeing another player on the HoT maps once the new expo drops. There will be no reason for anyone to play them, except maybe for legendaries and a bit of gliding masteries. All new players will just read about how bad the story was and jump straight into PoF, rendering the maps dead.

This will, by extension, negatively effect the LS3 maps too, since they depend on people owning both HoT and LS3 to enter them.

We’re quickly heading towards a future where when you ask someone to port to you, they say “I don’t have HoT”, “I don’t have LS3”, “I don’t have PoF”, and this will only continue to build stacks with each new LS and expo.

On topic:
I am looking forward to the reduced cost for people who already own the game.

But if you want gliding in the PoF (as well as core Tyria) maps, you will need HoT. If you want the current elite specializations, you will need HoT (and maybe the HP there).

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Business Model Clarification
…In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.-GW2 team June 22, 2015

Yes, and that’s what we’re doing. At no time did we say “everything preceding the XP is included, or free, or part of the cost of the XP.” We said that core GW2, HoT, and PoF would be offered for a single purchase, and that’s what’s happening.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: okultis.3170

okultis.3170

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Heart of Thrones was very expensive and you try to cover that up with that promise… I have HoT, but this is just another lie, this time from Gaile… very sad moment on a day when we can order second expansion…
Cash grab … very nice! Great success!

PS you still did not delivered all HoT content.

(edited by okultis.3170)

Zen.6384

Literally lying to us. Greed. They said all previous expansions would be free.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Heart of Thrones was very expensive and you try to cover that up with that promise… I have HoT, but this is just another lie, this time from Gaile… very sad moment on a day when we can order second expansion…
Cash grab … very nice! Great success!

No, read again. Calling me a liar doesn’t make sense, when you can read the actual statement. As I said above, there was no you get a free game, and you get a free game, and you… As you will note with today’s announcement, there is an option to purchase a “bundle” for a reduced cost over the individual purchases, but the two expansion packs are not inter-dependent, and are separate purchases.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Folks, you really need to read the previous statement, not with what you thought it said, or hoped it said, or inferred it said, but read it for the value of what it actually said.

“In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.” We are offering the core game and the two expansion packs for a single purchase price. We are not offering the previous expansion pack for free, nor did we say we would.

At this point, the statement has been quoted, its context should be understood, and there’s nothing more to say on this subject.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet