[PoF Spoiler] Puzzle MPs - Tips/Tricks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve seen some comments about problems with the soup pot, so I thought I’d set out how I managed to handle it along with the teleporter MP. These are things that worked for me, and may not work with other mental approaches, but hopefully it’ll help someone.

Soup Pot – Maybe do a few tries just to learn where the ingredients are. Once you have that down:

Make sure you have the auto-snap-to-target option on for ground targeting. Set target on the chef.

Trigger the pot then go stand at the end of the counter by the shark meat while the chef does his spiel. This will put you in the middle of all the options.

His dialogue shows up both in audio and in a speech bubble. You can read the name of what he’s asking for before he’s done talking and be on your way. You will have a green bar over your head that shrinks and turns yellow, then red; that is your timer. It refreshes a good amount each time you toss the right thing at him.

So head over to the correct ingredient, face it or click on it to make sure you’re getting the right one, and pick it up. Then run to where you have a clear LoS to the chef (counters will block you). If he’s moving, wait for him to stop, then tap 2. Your auto target will lob the ingredient right onto him without you needing to aim. Your timer then refreshes and you rinse and repeat.

I don’t know how many ingredients he asks for, I just finally got them all right enough times for it to succeed.

Teleporter – at first I didn’t even know what I was looking for because the puzzle procs behind you when you face the ghost to talk to him to trigger it. So turn around and look for the set of six little pyramids in the sand.

Stand at the base of the triangle suggested by the two converging lines of pyramids so you can see all six of them, looking down from above as much as you can. I mentally assigned numbers to them: 1 2 3 starting at near left, then 4 5 6 starting at far right and coming back to me.

The pyramids will light up with a pale blue glow in sequence. It’s a really big glow, enough to make it unclear which one lit up unless you pay close attention and are zoomed out and looking from above. I muttered the number of each pyramid to myself as it lit up, then repeated the sequence out loud as I touched each one in turn.

Keep in mind you must actually touch them, that means running to each correct one in order and pressing F. Since there will be more than one sequence, get back to position right away. The MP succeeded for me when I completed a six-number sequence.

Short form: Soup Pot — Set snap to target, Target chef, proc soup, station yourself at the middle, then pick up each ingredient soon as he says what it is; toss it at him when he is standing still.

Teleporter — Use mnemonics to remember which one lit up in which order, run to them to touch them in that order.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

People had problems with the teleporter one???

Really?

oooookay.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Soup Chef is really difficult if English is not your native language (like me). First you read/listen to whatever long, confusing and random sentence the chef throws out. Then you try to figure out which part of that was the required incredient. Then you try to find that thing on one of the tables. Once you actually understand which one is needed, several seconds have passed, and the whole thing becomes impossible to finish. It is basically a challenge of understanding English fast enough, on top of the challenge to get through the uncomfortable gameplay.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Really?

oooookay.

Some folk actually have short term memory issues for various reasons… No need to be snarky about folk who may have issues doing something seemingly as simple as this seems to be for yourself. (walk a mile in their shoes and you will view it differently) It is not easy to remember sequences even as short as those were and the last sequence was presented fairly quickly.

My trick for the teleport was drawing 3 sets of switches for each round like this:
O O
O O
O O
and I numbered them so I could see what switches to pull. That got me through it.

The chef one I would have like to have seen something more believable in cooking such as throwing into the pot or putting it on a cutting board. Actually having one make/discover a recipe would have been more fun and you could have gotten a recipe as well as the MP for it.

(edited by Aerinndis.2730)

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Its a mini game that literally goes back to the first game, and frankly no. Just no. This game requires people to commit WAY more information to memory just to play it. Seriously stop and think about the number of things about your character and your move set and enemies and buff, etc that you have to remember in a moment just to survive a simple level 80 encounter.

If we are doing that already, playing a version of a memory game from the 70s/80s (and one which has been replicated mechanically in MANY other games and MMOs) should not vex people THAT much.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

What is this thread about exactly? What soup pot? And what does MP mean?

I’m confused.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I’m confused.

Soup pot is in the city where you have to comple the mini game with the chef and it gets you the mastery point. MP is Mastery Point. This is in regards to the Demo area.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I’m confused.

Soup pot is in the city where you have to comple the mini game with the chef and it gets you the mastery point. MP is Mastery Point. This is in regards to the Demo area.

Wonderful.

Another mastery point shoved behind some stupid mini game. I guess Anet didn’t learn from HoT after all, and this will be the same awful mini-game hidden masteries that so many hated in HoT.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

Really?

oooookay.

Some folk actually have short term memory issues for various reasons… No need to be snarky about folk who may have issues doing something seemingly as simple as this seems to be for yourself. (walk a mile in their shoes and you will view it differently) It is not easy to remember sequences even as short as those were and the last sequence was presented fairly quickly.

My trick for the teleport was drawing 3 sets of switches for each round like this:
O O
O O
O O
and I numbered them so I could see what switches to pull. That got me through it.

The chef one I would have like to have seen something more believable in cooking such as throwing into the pot or putting it on a cutting board. Actually having one make/discover a recipe would have been more fun and you could have gotten a recipe as well as the MP for it.

I ended up drawing a vertical line and two horizontal lines (like a double cross) on paper three times. When the things lit up I numbered the spaces between the lines. I also realized someone could stand back and watch you and when your in the middle run a mob over to you. This happened to me once but don’t think it was done on purpose.
The soup bowl I just don’t like so won’t do. Maybe one day, maybe not.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m confused.

Apologies, I had to shorten the title to fit in the 45 character limit and then I had the abbreviation in my head when typing the first paragraph. I should have spelled it out.

I haven’t heard anyone saying they had trouble with the Teleporter one (besides my own initial confusion due to facing the wrong direction to see anything light up). I just thought I’d include a short guide to it just in case. There may be more puzzle MP’s … er, Mastery Points … later on so I made the thread more generic.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Yes, teleporter MP is confusing at first because you are facing in wrong direction and you have no idea something is even happening behind you. But once I faced other way, all I needed was piece of paper and pen to write down the sequence.