PoF WOW factor?

PoF WOW factor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

A few days ago I watched a streamer that did make me think about that PoF might not have a wow factor like HoT did.

I just really quick want to mentioned that I do like what I am currently seeing, personally I do not like the meta maps so the new PoF maps previewed seems great.

But the main wow factor in PoF seems to be the mounts, in HoT we had GH, GvG (kinda), new masteries, legendaries, raids etc etc. But it does not seem like PoF got this yet? Is this because we dont know it all yet, or is it because mounts is the main wow factor?

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

PoF is a content expansion, HoT was a mechanic expansion. This means that HoT introduced new ideas and new ways to expand the game that would be used in future expansions, while PoF uses those new mechanics to give us more content. This means that they are giving us more things that already existed in HoT, instead of brand new. New elite specs, new mastery points, a new GH and so on

Raids and fractals are coming, that’s been confirmed on the forums, but they didn’t announce those because apparently, they are not part of the expansion but part of the living world, which has a separate release schedule.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

For GW2, the wow would be mounts, love them or loathe them. Not unique to MMO’s for sure but a wow nonetheless for GW2.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

The wow factor doesn’t make or break a game. It can generate interest in a game, but in isolation, it becomes a gimmick.

If Anet make an expansion with good story telling, solid mechanics and appealing visuals, they are 90% of the way to success.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

The wow factor doesn’t make or break a game. It can generate interest in a game, but in isolation, it becomes a gimmick.

If Anet make an expansion with good story telling, solid mechanics and appealing visuals, they are 90% of the way to success.

Yeah…..maybe. I dont know tbh, this comment does fell like the “size (in games, moderators hehehe :i) doesnt matter” comments, which might be true or not…..It depends on too many things, I dont know what currently is there, or what would be possible to create instead…..

But thank you for your answers everyone, just wanted to know if there was still some things we have not seen yet like supported GvG or new raids.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

For GW2, the wow would be mounts, love them or loathe them. Not unique to MMO’s for sure but a wow nonetheless for GW2.

The mounts might not be unique, but it’s a very different approach than most mounts take, which is something I appreciate. I haven’t played much WoW, but I think their mounts are more like two-staged acquisitions: the ground mount, which gets you across land faster, and the air mount, which allows you to fly over obstacles. Meanwhile, the PoF mounts each have a specific use and while some overlap, each will have a situation where one is clearly better than the others.

I think the fact that we’re going back to Elona might be a bit of a wow factor for some players, those who remember Nightfall and have fond nostalgia for that. There’s also that option for players who weren’t interested in HoT to go straight to PoF, not needing any of the content from it to complete the story. Most games when they offer an expansion will expect you to have the previous ones for a long while or lock you out of the content entirely.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Akame.8736

Akame.8736

PoF is a content expansion, HoT was a mechanic expansion. This means that HoT introduced new ideas and new ways to expand the game that would be used in future expansions, while PoF uses those new mechanics to give us more content. This means that they are giving us more things that already existed in HoT, instead of brand new. New elite specs, new mastery points, a new GH and so on

Raids and fractals are coming, that’s been confirmed on the forums, but they didn’t announce those because apparently, they are not part of the expansion but part of the living world, which has a separate release schedule.

THIS.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Akame.8736

Akame.8736

The mounts might not be unique, but it’s a very different approach than most mounts take, which is something I appreciate. I haven’t played much WoW, but I think their mounts are more like two-staged acquisitions: the ground mount, which gets you across land faster, and the air mount, which allows you to fly over obstacles. Meanwhile, the PoF mounts each have a specific use and while some overlap, each will have a situation where one is clearly better than the others.

I think the fact that we’re going back to Elona might be a bit of a wow factor for some players, those who remember Nightfall and have fond nostalgia for that. There’s also that option for players who weren’t interested in HoT to go straight to PoF, not needing any of the content from it to complete the story. Most games when they offer an expansion will expect you to have the previous ones for a long while or lock you out of the content entirely.

THIS too.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

THIS.

Content expansion, with no dungeons or competitive content whatsoever… I think there is less in PoF, therefore the price tag.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

THIS.

Content expansion, with no dungeons or competitive content whatsoever… I think there is less in PoF, therefore the price tag.

Fractals, PVP maps, WvW maps and so on are not part of the expansion but instead are available to core players too therefore announcing them as part of the expansion isn’t needed.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

THIS.

New dungeons are not coming to GW2. It’s something anet has made pretty clear with the shift in focus for 5 man content to fractals.

Fractals, WvW, and PvP updates are not tied to expansions. The price change was made to appeal to the people that were complaining about the price tag for HoT. They gave people the “unbundled” option they asked for. That is why when you look at the price options there is one for just PoF and one that includes PoF with HoT.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

The new direction seems to be more grounded as well, there is less hype and fewer big statements. All part of learning from the mistakes made in the run-up to HoT.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Its good to not anounce any pve content. ~Calps~Claps~

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I think maybe a WOW Factor is different for everyone. Very subjective.

The wow factor for me in this expansion is the fact that we are going back to the Crystal Desert and Elona. We are going to see places we haven’t seen since GW1. How they have changed and what new mechanics we have after 250 years.

The story and content for me is always the wow factor.

As someone said above, a gimmicky thing that other games use to entice people to buy is often the best thing about a big bunch of “blah” content.

IMO, the only wow factor that GW2 needs is great content and great play.

PoF WOW factor?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

PoF is story heavy. Not a lot of hype material.