PoF on Friday- a good idea?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

I think it is a repeating of the old mistake.

HoT premiere started on Friday and then Anet made themselves a really hard weekend.

I think weekends are meant to just chill out from work (If you actually can).

I’d be satisfied even if PoF would start on September 26 because then I’d know that Anet is ready and won’t be exhausted for their weekend.

Devs are also people, I think they deserve a restful weekend before the hit of PoF.

It is all prepared for this date but I am worried about the Devs.

Thanks for your attention and good luck with the Expansion!!

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Perhaps if the Anet staff members do not care for the release schedule it is something they could take up with their employer. Of course any changes at this point would probably result in a huge backlash from the players. Something tells me the release date was decided on by many Anet staff members so maybe they are fine with launch happening just before the weekend.

The Burninator

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As Trogdor said, I imagine that the release day was decided and agreed upon by many members of staff. If it weren’t a reasonable day for the staff required to work for launch, they probably would have chosen a different day.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Thing is the expansion is already mostly downloaded for everyone that’s been logging in over the last few weeks. With the demos that went on last weekend and the one this weekend has already shown up some problems that they have fixed. I am sure a few more may pop up with the massive amount of code to make a game this size but they have been looking for and fixing problems already.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

As you said, weekends are to chill from work.
Gaming is a form relaxation.
You want people to call in sick to work just so they can play betas?

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Players are only playing the product, devs are preparing the product from zero.

Who deserves the restful weekend then?

But well it seems everything is prepared for Friday, but it looks like Anet values us more than the workers. What’s amazing but kinda sad in the way that this show how precious we are for them so they can even lost the time for rest to satisfy us.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think many if not most people that have been in the workforce for a while have had to work on weekends/scheduled days off from time to time. I know I certainly have. So I guess I don’t see this as some great sacrifice on behalf of Anet employees. Maybe the employees scheduled for weekend coverage will be given a few days off before or after the weekend to compensate? Either way I’m sure Anet staff will be just fine and their customers that get to enjoy their product over the launch weekend will appreciate their work.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Thing is the expansion is already mostly downloaded for everyone that’s been logging in over the last few weeks. With the demos that went on last weekend and the one this weekend has already shown up some problems that they have fixed. I am sure a few more may pop up with the massive amount of code to make a game this size but they have been looking for and fixing problems already.

You’d be right…. except for Elite Specializations being what they are. Map content only covers code running that content… the assets, the rule sets, and game’s baseline engine behavior. But Especs are a whole different branch of Nightmare, being a highly complicated, highly conditional, and extremely interactive set of game behaviors that have to work correctly across all other content branches. While the rule set that drives these should be mostly self-contained, they have an indirect impact that can outright break a game experience when the content its interacting with wasn’t designed to handle what it does. In another post, I explained the Symbolic Wrath bug on Guardian, and how it resulted in a 2-minute Teq run with their 100k damage ticks.

Sparkfly Fen could have 0 zero bugs across the whole map, yet that 1 bug in trait behavior can break just about any Boss fight where multiple guardians can get together. A bug in map content only affects that map. But a bug in the trait system can easily affect game wide class balance/performance.

I’m a little disappointed that there are still people who equate “size” and “code” as if they were the directly scaled to each other. Minecraft is a game that was no larger then 4MB (under Notch’s development), and contained a world space bigger then most MMOs combined.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

I don’t know any serious developer that has a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday schedule. There’s no such thing as weekends, just free days, which can be any day of the week.

(edited by VaLee.5102)

PyrateSilly.4710

I’m a little disappointed that there are still people who equate “size” and “code” as if they were the directly scaled to each other. Minecraft is a game that was no larger then 4MB (under Notch’s development), and contained a world space bigger then most MMOs combined.

The size I was talking about was the number of different environments, the different enemies that have multiple skills/spells, the different maps, gliding, now mounts, etc …. that’s the size I was talking not necessarily the map size or the space size of any thing.

All of that takes code and then you add in the players that’s more code to get it all to try to work together in a somewhat coherent way — that’s the the whole size thing.

PyrateSilly.4710

My wife is not – well I was gonna say not IT but that’s not true anymore since she just got hired in for an IT position including doing software stuff and in the job offer / contract it specifies to be available pretty much 24 / 7

But even when she wasn’t IT she was an engineer and was on call pretty much 24 / 7. We were redoing a roof on a house, she had the whole week off for vacation to do it, when in the middle of being up there she got a call with a question from work. She told them that she was on the roof and that if they heard a “ahhahha” to hang up and call 911 that she had fallen but what is the question. I think they thought she was joking and blew it off and just wanted their question answered.