Pointlessness of ingame titles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KreatE.7612

KreatE.7612

One thing I wish is that titles actually meant something. The billions of ingame titles makes it impossible for anyone to actually recognize something you’ve done on title alone (besides the eternal which everyone already has).

There are SOOO many of them as well, that they all drown each other out to make them all meaningless. There are 4 different wintersday titles now. Who cares if one person is an adept toymaker or another is a seasoned toymaker.

I wish that there was a reward for collecting titles like there is awards for achievements. Then they would actually feel like it was worth getting. Sort of like getting titles in gw1 gave you a better overall title for gw2. It sounds redundant, but I would even be more interested in title that you get if you have 30 titles. Who knows? Just SOME reward for titles. I have like 20 something titles, and I’d rather just not have anything.

/endrant

Posted by: Piejoe.7268

Piejoe.7268

I always thought titles were really cringeworthy and this game would be much better off without them. It just contributes to design clutter and if everyone is special, nobody is special.

I totally agree.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I’m very proud of my title “Been There, Done That.”

~EW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

The only title I use is the one I got from Guild Wars 1 “Legend of the Mists” . That one took 6 years of play to get. The others I couldn’t care less .

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

yea, and what is the point with all these cosmetics like Armor, Costumes, different gliders, Mail carriers and Mini pets… It is just screen clutter, let our characters be like in Halloween clocktower, small balls of light.

For just the same reason a big % of the playerbase is running around with Eternity or other ugly Legendaries (for braging rights) it is nice to run around with a title that shows peope that you have accomplished something you are very proud about or just having a title that fits your character.

Titles are nice in my opinion and it does not need to do anything specific.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I care if someone is one sort of toymaker or another, in that it means they were present in the game at a certain time.

I’m perfectly fine with titles as they are: a few are fun, most are dull, and most importantly, they have no in-game value — titles just show how long you’ve been around and what you like to do; they don’t impact the game. (With the notable exception of Mastery Points, WvW rank, and PvP rank.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

titles are great, if i see one i dont recognise and find it cool ill look it up or ask the person with it what they got it from and then put it on my list of things to work towards

am currently going for yakslapper just because i think it will be hilarious

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

Hmmm. Cant really relate to the problem. I chose my title cause it matches my character concept, not cause I want everybody to know how expensive it was.
Only sad thing is when cool titles like killer queen or dark traveler become a sort of an indicator for beeing a newb, so you literally cant use them.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I like to think of them more as flavour text for your character, no matter how easy/hard/expensive they were to obtain. For example, I may be rank 80, but my Necro still uses the Reaper title, my Revenant Mist Walker and my Guardian Avenger. So I like that there’s a reasonable amount of titles to obtain.
I think the only ones worth a bit of recognition for sticking to a goal and pushing are the Champion X titles. Shame the rank titles are so easily farmed now in custom, removing the effort for them. They now mean a lot less than what they should, this coming from someone who has never rank farmed for these titles.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Titles are useless! Like achievement trophies in console games. Or titles in console games. Or really avatars in console games. Or really many aspects of any game. But it gives people something to work for, and thus something to do in your spare time. Which is kind of what games are for. Things to do. In your spare time.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I like titles that you actually had to work for.
Back in the day when Liadri was new i was really happy when i got her down and got the title.
Now im running with Primordal Legend for getting legendary division last pvp season.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like having a variety of titles because it means I can pick ones that fit my characters, or what I’m doing.

Which means I’d actually prefer people to forget about where it came from and take it at face value because it fits how I’m using it. I don’t use ‘traveler’ to say “hey look I got a few HoM points in GW1!” (otherwise I’d only ever use the highest ranked one I’ve got), I use it on low level characters who are exploring new regions for XP and map completion.

Basically it’s another cosmetic feature, like changing the skins on your equipment or using minis, gliders etc. it’s a way of customising a character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

I have played an another MMO for years called Aion where some titles were quite hard to obtain. They needed lots of time, skill and of course grinding to get them but they actually gave you boosts like extra HP, Armor etc etc..

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Pointless…. Well playing the game itself is pointless, like any and all games…

Games are a waste of time, and were created for this specific purpose. So in effect all time spend here is pointless and exactly the point as well….

Doubt skins, titles and builds really matter. The only reason you are here because you are trying to have fun. If not…. Well…. Just go and find another time sink.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

I like the titles not so much because they show what you’ve done (because let’s face it, anything can be gotten by anyone with enough time, and group titles mean nothing since you can easily get carried through the whole event), but because they fit my character’s theme.

To me titles are, like everything else in GW2, a way to customize your character and complement the visual style you attempt to create.

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

You can have nothing, first option “no title”. Several people run no title whether it be for lack of any or the fact that they don’t like any available ones or haven’t chosen one for their character yet.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Meaningless to you, meaningful to others.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Titles are not pointless! >:(

Attachments:

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

I’m very proud of my title “Been There, Done That.”

~EW

“Combat Healer” is the bestest!

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I think we need MORE Titles that sound like something interesting.

In City of Heroes, you could set any badge you gained as a title. Some badges were across your entire account, but a lot were individual to each character. And there were a LOT of them, so you had a lot of interesting sounding choices to use. It became another part of your costume/outfit.

The exploration badges were like GW2’s points of interest, just with a title and small backstory as to why that location was important. If you had the badge, you could read that, it was usually just a couple of lines long. But just check out this list here and see if you can’t find a few badges/titles that would fit even any of your GW2 characters.

I like titles. We need more of them. Interesting sounding ones, please. It gives us something minor but fun to track down and collect.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Hmmm. Cant really relate to the problem. I chose my title cause it matches my character concept, not cause I want everybody to know how expensive it was.
Only sad thing is when cool titles like killer queen or dark traveler become a sort of an indicator for beeing a newb, so you literally cant use them.

Say I’m newbie all ya want :X I live for themes

Attachments:

gaem not made for mi
===========