Polearms already ingame

Polearms already ingame

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

It seems Polearms are already in the game. When did they add this? And is anyone else slightly disappointed that you cannot use your underwater spears on land?

Don’t believe the screenshot? Type this up ingame and see for yourself!
[&AgZPWQAA]

Attachments:

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

So, polearms are now new??

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

It means we might see Polearms (land) usable in the next update or so.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

They’ve been in for ages, it doesn’t really mean anything. Lots of things can be seen through using codes.

[&AgEVIQAA]

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Atleast we know that there are new weapons to look forward to in the future.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Polearm warrior might be interesting

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

Polearm warrior might be interesting

lol warrior have already plenty of weapens
so no warrior ^^

hope a new race ore a class that have a limit of weapens to pick from

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polearm
The polearm is a spear-like weapon with a head similar to an axe or sword. This weapon was included in early development stages but didn’t make it in the final cut of the game, though it may make an appearance later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1mRFmqz7F4#t=10m21s

it’s shelved indefinately/until a later date.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

I can see an eastern themed class using polearms, staffs and umm swords?

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Ixal.7924

Ixal.7924

The polearm is a spear-like weapon with a head similar to an axe or sword. This weapon was included in early development stages but didn’t make it in the final cut of the game, though it may make an appearance later.

Too bad.
Sadly today everyone associates swords with fantasy/middle ages when in reality the polearm was in all times more widely used even among knights.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

I believe the polearm was, like many weapons converted from farming tools. The “hedge cutter and layer” would use a tool called a “billhook” to grasp branches and trim them by pulling down and the hook would grab and trim the branch. They had lots of variety in design with one handed axe like versions as well as some on the end of a pole.
I could be wrong though. :-)

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Polearms will almost certainly return as a land based weapon at some point. Don’t worry about it.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

I can see an eastern themed class using polearms, staffs and umm swords?

It’s bound to include Tengu species.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Kyouhei.2341

Kyouhei.2341

New weapons would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!
2h Axe / Polearm, It’s a must have!

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

When I first launched GW2, first thing I was gonna do is to equip myself with a two handed axe or a polearm… welp, that was unexpected when I saw polearms to be an underwater weapon and axes are only in one handed variant.

I highly doubt that Anet will ever implement both of these due to balance issues, but there is a slight chance that those might get merged into a halberd (as you know it: part axe, part polearm).
Let’s say warriors get a more axe-“ish” (brutal) aspect and guardians polearm-“ish” (defensive/distant) of such weapon.
Of course Revenant might try it as well and strangely I think that rangers might get it due to hunters being profecient with spears/polearms in their hunts (not from WoW point of view).

P.S.
Yay, bumping old threads !
If this gets much more attention then we might hope for next expansion to include new weapons instead of elite specializations (it could cover the part of our character’s evolving more and more as we drill deeper into the dragon menace).

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

(edited by Rodzynald.5897)

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I’m pretty sure land spears exist largely for technical reasons, as a weapon type for enemies that use spears on land (mostly amphibious races, plus some centaurs and the mounted mordrem guard).

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Polearms have been in-game since launch. If you want to actually see one, go to Rytlocks office. He keeps a Lionguard-themed one next to his desk.

Nothing to suggest they’re ever going to resurrect that dead line of code though.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Many spears look more like polearms, and some weapon sets have alternate spear skins that look more like polearms than spears.

Main hand spears and polearms would be a great weapon to add, not only as specialization, but as a new core weapon. Warriors and Revenants do not have a 1-handed ranged weapon. A main hand throwing spear (a.k.a Javelin) would work great for that.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Polearms already ingame

Rodzynald.5897

Yeh, but in another thing it would suck due to only few classes gaining access to this weapon. If such thing was ever to be put in game then it would be reasonable to do so with a whole new expansion throwing in bunch of different new weapons as well, so that every class gets some, for example:
Polearms/halberds for soldier classes
Fist weapons for adventurer classes
Spell tomes (or some other kind of magical miscallenous) for scholar classes.

Of course it’s just a raw thought.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I want a whip. NPC’s have them

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I want a whip. NPC’s have them

Those are actually skill effects. The weapon itself is probably a different type of weapon, like a dagger, a sword or a bundle.

When they use the skill, the weapon is hidden and replaced by the whip effect. Like when an elementalist uses lightning whip.

Considering how most weapon skills won’t use the weapon’s model for their effects (e.g: Thrown axes, spears, hammers or greatswords only look like the weapon for legendaries) whips would need to be done from scratch if they want their skills to look like the whip at all.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I hope it’s a sign they’ll be adding mounted combat, like jousting. It’s a great idea for a PvP or WvW map at least anyway where you have teams of 20 and the groups decide beforehand who’ll be in an attacking team or who’ll stay behind to defend. Numbers would vary between attackers/defenders until a 4 defender/16 attacker meta or whatever is established. It’ll be like conquest but without NPC’s and the players themselves knock down doors not summoned bombers. Being mounted would offer a mobility advantage and there’d be a breakbar for dismounting. If you’re dismounted in that way you spend 3 seconds stunned. Victory would be declared after channeling at the opposing team’s base. So someone could say, “Ele, use staff and static field around the channeler!” so anyone who tries stopping him will be dazed, and necro to set up a field to block projectiles to counter those trying to interrupt the channel without risking a daze.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Polearms already ingame

Rodzynald.5897

I hope so becuase game that has torches/focuses/scepters that are surely not a default choice of arms in other games, should truly put in a bit of more real weapons.
(Fun-fact: spears and later polearms were the most common weapons since the dawn of mankind and first civilizations).

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Photoshop

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

Uhmm how about wait until they’re done fixing current weapon mechanics like ranger sword #1 before adding new ones?

Who am I kidding like that’s ever going to happen.

Polearms already ingame

Rodzynald.5897

le bump

I saw an interesting thing while checking out spear and trident skins… there is a polearm that looks well… like a polearm and it has that white weapon quality look like those you can buy from weapon merchants.
It’s an another hint/wink at polearms overall.
Also I had this one wild thought, what if spears could keep their weapon skills on land just like underwater? Some of those could work out I guess, perhaps just change auto attack to melee range (or thrown as some guards might like it). It really feels like those abilities could work on dry land as well.

Polearms already ingame

Posted by: Moderator

Please remember to check the date of a thread before posting. Commenting on an out of date thread and bumping it to the top of the forums is considered necroposting and is not allowed. Please find a more recent thread on your desired topic, or feel free to start your own discussion. This thread is now locked.