Political Discussions in Tyria

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Hey All,

We’ve been monitoring the in-game chatter tonight during the US Election, and while most conversations were civil, some were going well beyond the boundary of acceptable behavior that we allow in-game by bordering on harassment.

Guild Wars 2, the world of Tyria, and most games, are meant to be a way for us to enjoy ourselves and allow a possible escape the confines of reality for a short period of time. MMOs are nothing without their communities, and sometimes real-life can splash into that very quickly and aggressively.

We are all here because of our love for games and the worlds that they allow us to explore. Opinions can differ, but by playing Guild Wars 2, we all have something in common. So, please, stay civil. Remember that no matter what is going on in the real world, Tyria should be a safe place for everyone to enjoy.

We are all in this together.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

Stuff happening in real life should indeed kept outside of the game.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I wish this was said during the UK Brexit vote as well. It was a nightmare to play Guild Wars 2 the days following June 23.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Nice thread. 100% with you Chris

Posted by: Metasynaptic.1093

Metasynaptic.1093

In this case, art does not mirror life. Keil was elected, and Evon wasn’t…

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Impossible to keep it out of the game but it’ll blow over as usual. Though tonight its probably time to mute WvW teamchat again for a week or two.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

Impossible to keep it out of the game but it’ll blow over as usual. Though tonight its probably time to mute WvW teamchat again for a week or two.

I think I’ll just mute all chat for a while. I pretty much play GW2 like a single player game already so it won’t be all that different for me. It’s going to be rough for the social and role players, or anyone who enjoys friendly map banter.

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

Thanks for tracking what we say. #Privacy

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Anyone who thinks that there’s privacy on the Internet is going to get a big surprise one day.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Talks in public

“excuse me, I overheard you sayin-

WHERE YOU EAVESDROPPING ON ME!!!!!!

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

Anyone who thinks that there’s privacy on the Internet is going to get a big surprise one day.

I was hoping the obvious sarcasm coming from that post is noticeable

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Today it feels good to live far away from the big world powers.
I spent last night helping people get the orbs at Scavenger’s Chasm, and didn’t hear anything about the elections until I closed the game and went to bed with my girl. She was facebooking like mad, so the news just flooded everything, but I was too sleepy to give any opinion.
Thanks GW2 for shielding me from reality.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

@OP players have the ability to block and remove each chats.

“The storerooms are spotless, and I haven’t seen any vermin for a week. That said, I’m pretty sure I saw her fly past on a riding broom just now…”

Having said that, does the store news above refer to “Broomstick One” and what does that say about the background of the developers of gw2 (ie religious since it’s suggesting witches are vermin)?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

“The storerooms are spotless, and I haven’t seen any vermin for a week. That said, I’m pretty sure I saw her fly past on a riding broom just now…”

Having said that, does the store news above refer to “Broomstick One” and what does that say about the background of the developers of gw2 (ie religious since it’s suggesting witches are vermin)?

They do, however chat filters and other methods are not justifiable causes for one to violate the terms of service.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

They do, however chat filters and other methods are not justifiable causes for one to violate the terms of service.

….To those with an overly officious and annoying mentality. Players cry harrassment over anything these days even when they’re willing participants. It’s even dangerous if you like freedom. I personally hate being harrassed by groups of people, but that’s another, different level to this generic warning against even the smallest amount of expression.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

We are all in this together.

Attachments:

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I’m so happy I don’t have to watch 50 billion more political commercials anymore.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you want people to hear sarcasm when you type, you need to type louder.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Thanks Chris.

I haven’t been in-game since the polls closed and I’m on the EU servers anyway but things got pretty nasty in-game after the UK’s referendum and I can imagine this being even worse since people seem to feel even more strongly about it (if that’s possible).

I’ve also seen some nasty things in other places – stuff that goes way beyond expressing an opinion or discussing different points of view – very firmly into the category of attacking another person’s intelligence and motives.

It’s nice to know there is somewhere I can go to get away from all that. This community is usually pretty great (especially compared to the rest of the internet) and I’ve also seen some very civil, interesting political discussions so hopefully that is the trend which will continue.

That’s just the 2nd half of the announcement, if you read the full thing it makes sense:

“By the way, the cat I picked up to guard the vaults is coming in handy. The storerooms are spotless, and I haven’t seen any vermin for a week. That said, I’m pretty sure I saw her fly past on a riding broom just now…”

It’s referring to the Mini Feline Familiar which was on sale just after that announcement.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Stuff happening in real life should indeed kept outside of the game.

Especially since video games, like other relaxing hobbies, are by all possible definion, the real safespaces for people to retreat into for some outlet from real life (Unlike the people who want video games and other outlet hobbies banned, because it is not of their liking, they have quite twisted and selfish idea about safespace anyway).

I just follow the idea of “Live and let live”, your opinions are your own, my opinions are mine, anyone is free to express their opinions without being silenced or censored, even if the opinion is bad or stupid (Usually bad or stupid opinions fall over on themselves, tho depending on how real life goes, they might be correct on something and prove themselves and so on).

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

….To those with an overly officious and annoying mentality. Players cry harrassment over anything these days even when they’re willing participants. It’s even dangerous if you like freedom. I personally hate being harrassed by groups of people, but that’s another, different level to this generic warning against even the smallest amount of expression.

bump for justice.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I found it amusing that “doomsday preparation kit” was on sale on the same day as the election

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I think people should be able to talk about such issues without lunging at eachother’s throats. Many of us are pretty devastated by the current events, but we all have to be able to be civil about it. I’ve been able to talk to some people about it ingame, and the conversation stayed civil and with no violence.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I blame Kiel.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The problem is that there are people who actually feel that way.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I blame Kiel.

Yeah she even won despite Evon rigging Hero-Tron in order to win the election.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Let’s please not use this thread to continue political discussions. The topic is not appropriate for the game, and isn’t the right fit for the forums, either.

We’ve removed threads about the outcome of the election — even when they try to invoke references to in-game matters. We did the same with threads about the outcome of previous elections, referendums, and so forth. We’d prefer to not have to remove thread, but in the interests of keeping things on an even keel it’s our responsibility to do so when it’s necessary.

I’m going to close this thread, but please take its advice to heart.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet