Poll: GW1 & GW2...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Just a basic question to try and figure out where the player base stands on this issue. The question is not cut and dry, so interpret it as you wish. The question is: In your opinion, is GW2 a legitimate and spiritual successor to the original game?

The link is here:
GW1 & 2 Poll

I’ll try to post results periodically…unless, of course, no one votes on it lol.

Most recently posted results:

Yes, absolutely……………………….7%
For the most part, yes……………….7%
Some ways yes, some ways no……20%
For the most part, no………………17%
Absolutely not………………………49%

Total votes: 41

Edit: I redid the poll because the third choice seemed skewed toward “no” slightly. Thank you ZilentNight for pointing that out, and sorry to those of you who already voted.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Don’t you mean "a basic question to try and figure out where the less than 5% of the player base that visits the forums stand on this issue, where 40 of the same guys that keep spaming “QQ gw1 is gone” threads"?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Obsidian.1328

Meh…perhaps. How else would you go about it then silvermember?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Just a basic question to try and figure out where the player base stands on this issue. The question is not cut and dry, so interpret it as you wish. The question is: In your opinion, is GW2 a legitimate and spiritual successor to the original game?

The link is here:
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51f2a59ae4b0cd118fd17499

I’ll try to post results periodically…unless, of course, no one votes on it lol.

I bet that many of those who didn’t play GW1, will vote – Yes, absolutely.

Seize the day.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Don’t feed the Trolls! He’s a broken record….Just block him so that you don’t have to read his ignorant fan boy posts.

(edited by Theplayboy.6417)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

The forum consists of two types of people: Negative Nancy’s and Fanboys, according to the majority of the forumites. You’re getting a very limited point of view only polling forum-goers, whereas I’m sure the majority of people in the game right now have a different overall perspective.

Obsidian.1328

The forum consists of two types of people: Negative Nancy’s and Fanboys, according to the majority of the forumites. You’re getting a very limited point of view only polling forum-goers, whereas I’m sure the majority of people in the game right now have a different overall perspective.

Very true, I can’t think of a better way though. I’m open to suggestions.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

The question is: In your opinion, is GW2 a legitimate and spiritual successor to the original game?

I’ll just answer here. In my opinion, GW2 is a pretty darned good game but perhaps the title should have been Guild Wars Lite instead of Guild Wars 2. It’s Lin Carter’s Callisto to Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom. It’s August Derleth keeping Lovecraft’s ‘mythos’ alive while simultaneously trying to homogenize away the elements that made the original concepts so great. It’s one of the hundreds of Conan stories not penned by Robert E. Howard. It’s Frankenstein, should Disney ever make a cartoon version of Mary Shelley’s classic tale of horror.

TL;DR: no.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

How do we know if any who do the poll actually played gw1?
anyway to verify it?
does our gw2 name appear on our gw1 account that we can show a link too or something?
if not then the poll cant be viable as non gw1 can vote.

Obsidian.1328

The question is: In your opinion, is GW2 a legitimate and spiritual successor to the original game?

I’ll just answer here. In my opinion, GW2 is a pretty darned good game but perhaps the title should have been Guild Wars Lite instead of Guild Wars 2. It’s Lin Carter’s Callisto to Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom. It’s August Derleth keeping Lovecraft’s ‘mythos’ alive while simultaneously trying to homogenize away the elements that made the original concepts so great. It’s one of the hundreds of Conan stories not penned by Robert E. Howard. It’s Frankenstein, should Disney ever make a cartoon version of Mary Shelley’s classic tale of horror.

TL;DR: no.

Are you female?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Is there any reason that Guild Wars 2 is NOT a legitimate and spiritual successor to Guild Wars 1?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

After many years in the original Guild Wars I can say with complete conviction that yes, to me this is the spiritual successor to the original. Yes, game play is different, but the heart is the same. Plus, you caught me the very day after I found Gwen’s grave for the first time. I still have that broken flute in the original.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Obsidian.1328

anyway to verify it?
does our gw2 name appear on our gw1 account that we can show a link too or something?

No, there’s no way to verify it. I’m just throwing it out there with all it’s flaws intact.

I’m still open to suggestions though. :P

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

mesme.5028

anyway to verify it?

No, there’s no way to verify it. I’m just throwing it out there with all it’s flaws intact.

You are right, i just logged into gw1 to see and its still the original gw1 account name, not this gw2 name.

On a side note when i logged in my character was in jq, guess what, baby p nut is still dancing there lol

Obsidian.1328

anyway to verify it?

You are right, i just logged into gw1 to see and its still the original gw1 account name, not this gw2 name.

On a side note when i logged in my character was in jq, guess what, baby p nut is still dancing there lol

lulz, what class and gender?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

mesme.5028

anyway to verify it?

lulz, what class and gender?

They are a female monk, they have been dancing at the same spot now for years, they never play only dance, ive spoke to them a few times over the years, just funny they are still there dancing now.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This game is exactly this :

A brand new game engine – and mechanic wise that has been painted with GW1 Lore, names, stories and so on. In some ways it is in some ways it isn’t. No point in arguing about it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

Ignore him, he’s a well known troll.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Just to put it out there, I think its not really a “true” successor.
But also need to point out that your 3rd option isnt exactly a Neutral choice.
only 2 of your options say “yes” and the other 3 are basically “no”.
So your vote is not going to net you accurate results unless u were hoping for a vast majority of players to vote one way.

Obsidian.1328

Just to put it out there, I think its not really a “true” successor.
But also need to point out that your 3rd option isnt exactly a Neutral choice.
only 2 of your options say “yes” and the other 3 are basically “no”.
So your vote is not going to net you accurate results unless u were hoping for a vast majority of players to vote one way.

You’re right, it is worded a little skewed on that third choice. I’ll correct it.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Obsidian.1328

This game is exactly this :

A brand new game engine – and mechanic wise that has been painted with GW1 Lore, names, stories and so on. In some ways it is in some ways it isn’t. No point in arguing about it.

There is a point to it. It won’t change anything of course, but it is an important question to ask.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care