[Poll] How many waypoints should there be....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

With the recent vine developments, many people are theorizing that some waypoints may be brought down. I’m seeing more people discussing the amount of waypoints that should exist in one map so I decided to create a poll.

http://strawpoll.me/2094568

Also if you feel like discussing this topic in more detail, please reply below. This is something that a lot of people have discussed every once in a while and I’m always happy to see people’s opinions

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

You forgot the “I like pie!” option.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I don’t know. I’ve always felt their were too many Waypoints in the game. I get having them at little outposts and such across the maps, but just randomly by a mountain or stream? Why?

I’m secretly hoping they get rid of over half of them or the vines “deactivate” them/tear them apart. I just think that the large majority of them are useless.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

It is fine the way it is. If you are trying to say this straw poll shows that less is better and then put mounts in – it is not.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Depends on the size of map, how many major cities, how many outposts.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

It is fine the way it is. If you are trying to say this straw poll shows that less is better and then put mounts in – it is not.

^ Very much this.

Can’t remember people ever were complaining about the number of waypoints until the “giff mounts” thread recently.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

As many as possible.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I just thought of how many WPs we need per map and that is 2 for every mount asked for.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It depends on the map. Mainly the size but also the layout and what’s happening there. I’d say:

• One next to each entrance – to make sure that when you enter the map you’ve got one, in case you die before reaching another one.
  • One near to each location where players are likely to want to go in a hurry, like dungeons and world bosses.
  • In towns, forts etc. Not necessarily all of them, but the bigger ones definitely. Partially just because it would give a fairly even distribution but also because it puts them close to merchants and other services and roads. Which makes it a logical starting point for activities in that area.
  • Finally if there are any areas left which would take an unreasonably long time to get to (most likely because of the terrain) with that distribution and which aren’t made that way on purpose (like jumping puzzles) they could get a waypoint too.

But one waypoint can serve more than one of these purposes. For example Earthshake Waypoint is near the entrance to Fireheart Rise, the Elder’s Vale Pact camp and The Claw’s spawn point. Where possible they should be combined this way to avoid littering the map with them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

It depends on the map. Mainly the size but also the layout and what’s happening there. I’d say:

• One next to each entrance – to make sure that when you enter the map you’ve got one, in case you die before reaching another one.
  • One near to each location where players are likely to want to go in a hurry, like dungeons and world bosses.
  • In towns, forts etc. Not necessarily all of them, but the bigger ones definitely. Partially just because it would give a fairly even distribution but also because it puts them close to merchants and other services and roads. Which makes it a logical starting point for activities in that area.
  • Finally if there are any areas left which would take an unreasonably long time to get to (most likely because of the terrain) with that distribution and which aren’t made that way on purpose (like jumping puzzles) they could get a waypoint too.

But one waypoint can serve more than one of these purposes. For example Earthshake Waypoint is near the entrance to Fireheart Rise, the Elder’s Vale Pact camp and The Claw’s spawn point. Where possible they should be combined this way to avoid littering the map with them.

I agree with this. ^^

Personally, I would like to see less WPs and more mini-portals, similar to those in EotM.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Depends on the map. Of those already existing, there doesn’t seem to be any with too much wp’s. Some maps could definitely use more (Southsun, Dry top), and some would be a lot better with more uncontestable wp’s (Orr is the best example, but NE corner of harathi, for example, can also get very bad if the event chain is up).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November