Poll: Legendaries or Living World / Story?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

Which would you rather see? Visit the link to the poll below and vote. It’s one or the other. No other options, this is just for that team. No bias, don’t care.

http://strawpoll.me/7187079

Thanks for your input.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Roxhemar.6039

Roxhemar.6039

Living World, everyone get’s to have fun with it/see it. As opposed to Legendaries which only the dedicated few will ever even finish and that is especially true for HoT legendaries.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Living world

15 char

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That poll. It’s…. not well worded or really relevant to the situation. The situation is far more complex than a choice by the Devs between Legendaries and Living World. There’s also the promises they made when selling the expansion that new Legendaries would be regularly released.

If it was only an choice between the two before they sold the expansion then I’m all for more LS as I don’t care about Legendaries. But once you bring in the promises that the expansion was sold on, then it’s a way different situation. It feels shady at the very least.

All I can guess is there is something wrong inside the workforce. It’s stretched too thin or its unorganized, or something, and they had to retrench. I’m not so sure they made the right decision though. There’s not only legal considerations but there’s also loss of trust that comes from reversing promises made after purchases done. It’s concerning and makes me wonder what else they might reverse after I’ve paid for it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

For me, living story. I give zero “kittens” for legendary weapons because I can’t be bothered making them and they’re usually garish to me anyway.

Although I don’t really think developing legendary weapons has an effect on the LS anyway.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This issue with legendary weapons is it’s one skin and if you don’t like it, you’re out of content. I didn’t like most of the original legendaries. I made 8 of the ones I liked. It’s just too hit and miss.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There’s not only legal considerations but there’s also loss of trust that comes from reversing promises made after purchases done.

If it is a problem, if people do complain enough, they’re just going to copy/paste and release whatever they have. That’s probably what they should have done in the first place – legendaries all based on the same quest and designed based on the big boss (Mordremoth in this case).

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

How about this option:

Fulfilling the promises you made.

I don’t care for legendaries, in all honesty. So I’m glad more effort is put to the story content. HOWEVER, I find the continuous lack of ArenaNet sticking to their statements and fulfilling promises to be a horrid practice.

• In October 2012, we got 2 mini-dungeons, 4 jumping puzzles, and 2 random (read: not tied to newly added maps or the main story) and permanent series of events added. We were told we’d get more stuff like that added. Prior to HoT, we got a total of 0 mini-dungeons, 5 jumping puzzles, 0 random series of events; of those, 4 of the jumping puzzles were part of new maps. Promise unfulfilled.
  • In February 2013, Ascalon Catacombs explorable mode got a bit of a rebalance, primarily the bosses. We were told that all seven other dungeons would get the same treatment. None did. Promise unfulfilled and forgotten.
  • In September 2013, we got Tequatl Rising, and were told that they’d do this regularly for all world bosses over time. It took them two and a half years (January 2016) to get to the second world boss (Shatterer). Promise unfulfilled, practically forgotten.

That’s not even counting the promises made where we didn’t have a first iteration of it released.

When Heart of Thorns’ content was steadily being announced, it was primarily promises. A new PvP type – one map with more to come… A new WvW borderland map, with cycling and more to come… A raid with more to come… Three legendaries with 13 more to come… Fractal changes with more fractals to come…

This was something I was afraid of. And I voiced it then – it’s a lot of the same old. A first iteration of something with promises for more. But if ArenaNet couldn’t fulfill the first time, why should we trust they will again?

I bought HoT out of the benefit of the doubt for ArenaNet, and because the writers’ interviews had intrigued me… with talked about plots that didn’t come to pass (Nightmare Court, for example).

Already, one promise has been broken – again – so I’m left wondering if ArenaNet will keep any others. Is Forsaken Thicket going to be the only raid we’ll ever see? Will they drop raids for something new like they did dungeons? Will we ever get a second Stronghold map? Will we actually get those new fractals?

Honestly, I’m becoming doubtful. At this point, “ArenaNet” is becoming synonymous to me with “makes promises that won’t be kept”.

I don’t care for Legendaries. I do, however, care that ArenaNet fulfills their promises to the playerbase. Especially when said promise is part of a paid release.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Just a flesh wound.3589

There’s not only legal considerations but there’s also loss of trust that comes from reversing promises made after purchases done.

If it is a problem, if people do complain enough, they’re just going to copy/paste and release whatever they have. That’s probably what they should have done in the first place – legendaries all based on the same quest and designed based on the big boss (Mordremoth in this case).

Maybe what they should have done is drop the crafting part for now and put the precursors in as a drop. Let people have this set of Legendaries and bring in crafting once they get whatever problems they have now, worked out.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

• In September 2013, we got Tequatl Rising, and were told that they’d do this regularly for all world bosses over time. It took them two and a half years (January 2016) to get to the second world boss (Shatterer). Promise unfulfilled, practically forgotten.

This is being excessively favorable to them. The only reason the Shatterer was rebuilt was because the fight made it nearly impossible to complete The Bifröst III. That’s it.

The devs could have given it immunity to blindness and changed how the “encase in crystal” skill worked (e.g.: more targets, more casts, or restrict it to players). We were lucky they decided to get more involved.

Maybe what they should have done is drop the crafting part for now and put the precursors in as a drop. Let people have this set of Legendaries and bring in crafting once they get whatever problems they have now, worked out.

This is a bad idea. The only problem it solves is “the precursor collections are blocking release”. On the other hand, the old system of acquiring legendary weapon precursors only appears to work properly, and is actually more broken than this one: it fails to produce legendary weapons.

The precursor crafting collections, for all their faults, make legendary weapons. Returning to the old system, even partially, will permanently taint this second generation of legendary weapons with the same problems suffered by the first.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is being excessively favorable to them. The only reason the Shatterer was rebuilt was because the fight made it nearly impossible to complete The Bifröst III. That’s it.

The devs could have given it immunity to blindness and changed how the “encase in crystal” skill worked (e.g.: more targets, more casts, or restrict it to players). We were lucky they decided to get more involved.

This is a bad idea. The only problem it solves is “the precursor collections are blocking release”. On the other hand, the old system of acquiring legendary weapon precursors only appears to work properly, and is actually more broken than this one: it fails to produce legendary weapons.

The precursor crafting collections, for all their faults, make legendary weapons. Returning to the old system, even partially, will permanently taint this second generation of legendary weapons with the same problems suffered by the first.

At least people would get a whole new set of Legendaries though. Now, they won’t, or at least none for a very long time. imo, not having them at all is worse that a “permanent taint.” They could always set them so that precursors are sellable, but not the finished Legendary,

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It shouldn’t have to be a choice between the two.

Deliver the content we paid for. Reallocate resources from the new expansion team. Hire more developers. Work it out. Supply what was advertised.

/notvoting

They did deliver what we paid for. Our mistake if we thought that “handful of new legendaries” meant we’d see 16 within the first year.

We have all the other things that were advertised: living story, new prof, new specializations, masteries, adventures, new maps, new metas, new armor, raid(s).

(Not saying anyone has to like any of the above as delivered, only that they gave us what they said they would.)

And anyhow, the one thing O’Brian said with which I think we can all agree is:

…that doesn’t matter because …My job is to entertain you, ….

So I don’t particularly care if it’s legendaries or metas or living story or whatever — I care if I’m entertained. So far, I have been; your mileage probably varies.

And I think most of us can agree that the content drought of 2014/Q4-2015/Q3 was far too long.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Remove 30 devs from expansion that no one wants and give us legendary’s and living story.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

This issue with legendary weapons is it’s one skin and if you don’t like it, you’re out of content. I didn’t like most of the original legendaries. I made 8 of the ones I liked. It’s just too hit and miss.

The same goes for expansions in general. If you don’t like this particular content, but not that, you’ll pay for both as it’s one package.
I don’t care about those raids, I prefer open world content. But the only updates we’ve had since Hot are raids.

I’d rather have more open world changes that can be enjoyed by a majority of the players instead of content that is only enjoyed by a minority of very rich (both in gold and in active friend list/guild) players.

Posted by: kirima san.3760

kirima san.3760

Sure, shift effort but at least deliver the weapons you promised in the end. Integrate them into the LS or something but do not suspended indefinitely, I bought HoT with the intent of crafting some of them.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I admit I’m disappointed. I’ve been thinking about making more legendaries and was looking forward to new dagger and sword skins (as those are weapons I use a lot and don’t like the skins for).

But if it’s taking too long and delaying other things I’d rather have more story as I enjoy that more than making a legendary.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Remove 30 devs from expansion that no one wants and give us legendary’s and living story.

Talk for yourself. I want LW updates and Expansions, that is content for me.

As to the OP, usually don’t vote on these polls but today I have. I vote for LW content. For me there is no need for Legendary weapons. IMO all legendaries should be removed from the game, people only walks around with the same weapons all the time… To be Legendary weapons they are even more common than the basic weapon you get from the start.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

It shouldn’t be a choice. They have managed their time and man power badly and we should have at least 4-6 legendary weapons by now in my opinion. They should have all come out with HoT truthfully but the expansion couldn’t have waited any longer.

| Lithia |

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’m always against such choices and rather go for “both”. But if I DO have to choose, I’d choose Living World over Legendary weapons, because the way Legendary weapons are presented in this game, they aren’t Legendary, and they aren’t content. Just a massive grind.

Posted by: blueberry.2504

blueberry.2504

Living world all the way. Hate everything to do with grind, so no legendaries for me. Nice new skins for completing Ls content would be nice.

Posted by: Sphinx.8014

Sphinx.8014

Living world. Legendaries can come later and then include the new content and maps added with LS3. As long as they do come at some point, I’m fine.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

And the 6 devs from the raids too can be moved over to LS3. Raids only service a small fraction of the player base compared to the rest of the game.

Raids can wait, and when ANet have fulfilled what they promised, the team can go back to raids.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Liet Talen.7284

Liet Talen.7284

Living World/Story FTW

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I’m likely to die of old age before I even get one legendary anything created, so for me it’s easy: go living story!

But, I have a much greater priority than either: Fix the maps in HoT! Give us some kind of mapping tools that allow us to see the layers. As it is, it’s nearly impossible to see where you are and how to get above or below where you are.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Living world/story.

Zero f’s given about legendary weapons.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

What if I told you there probably wasnt anyone working on the so-called scrapped legendaries to begin like the non-existant wvw overhaul and ‘moving’ these devs over to the living story team is therefore not going to make a difference to production speed.

People are so desperate to cling to hope, youre forgetting there are 70-100 devs (according to anet’s own words) working on the next expansion instead of finishing this one. Why on earth is anyone still playing this game settling to choose one or the other?

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: nanael the angel.2659

nanael the angel.2659

Despite the fact that there should NOT be a choice between the two, since both were promised for THIS expansion ( HoT), I believe I’ll vote for legendaries since gw2 is to me, a dress up game and nothing more.
That said, I agree with JAFW, they should just scrap the precursor journey if it’s giving them so much trouble, and release them like the first generation ones, acquirable via RNG. It’s far from ideal, but I’d rather have this, than no new legendaries at all, even more so if it allows for LS content.
Hope we don’t see those legendaries we were promised here as part of the next expansion’s selling points…. and the next…. and the next…. and the next… you know, until all 16 are there….

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

What if I told you there probably wasnt anyone working on the so-called scrapped legendaries to begin like the non-existant wvw overhaul and ‘moving’ these devs over to the living story team is therefore not going to make a different to production speed.

People are so desperate to cling to hope, youre forgetting there are 70-100 devs (according to anet’s own words) working on the next expansion instead of finishing this one. Why on earth is anyone still playing this game settling to choose one or the other?

Because I enjoy the game foe the most part. Sure there are things I’d change, but then who wouldn’t right? People who don’t like what’s happening in game have probably already stopped playing. Other people just don’t care, like me.

Personally I would never had fractals or raids in GW2, I’d rather have dungeons with stories, but hay that’s just me.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

“Living world” is too much of a general term. New maps and dungeons/raids/skins/lore are most important to me, with GW2 quality PS/LS story and story instances being near the bottom of my priority list.

Konig is absolutely correct though, delivering what was promised (especially when it was a promise that people paid for) is the most important.

Zetsumei.4975

Thats the other thing.

Nero and Onevstheworld, you asked if this means that LW can come sooner than July.

Full story episodes have a long lead-time. But I don’t think LW content has to be all about the episodes. So… maybe.

But I’m not here today to make predictions or promises. I’d rather we start by shipping, then talk about what we shipped.

Mo

What youre voting for is not necessarily the episodes, infact it seems hes just talking about open world pve.

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

i want both, i paid for both

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

And the 6 devs from the raids too can be moved over to LS3. Raids only service a small fraction of the player base compared to the rest of the game.

Raids can wait, and when ANet have fulfilled what they promised, the team can go back to raids.

A 3 wing raid was promised as expansion content.

Posted by: ezhcim.3075

ezhcim.3075

I was promised both when I paid 50 for the expansion so I want both, I won’t make compromises. That’s not how businesses work, you cant make promises then take my money, hold it hostage and tell me: you know all that I promised you? well i won’t deliver so choose which one you prefer and I’ll only give you that.

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

Living world. Don’t give a tinker’s kitten about legendaries or raids for that matter. The only thing I care about legendaries is that this change is going to drive more people from the game. I think they should have finished them for that reason while steering the game back towards living world.

I did enough to become very sick of HoT and have been noodling about in Vanilla waiting for either me to get tired of repeating Vanilla content again or the game to change in a direction I liked. I held almost zero hope of the latter but from what Mike O’Brian said, the game will be changing in the direction I want. Whether or not it does is still to be seen.

However, I have some hope now.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

(edited by Gregori.5807)

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

It shouldn’t have to be a choice between the two.

Deliver the content we paid for. Reallocate resources from the new expansion team. Hire more developers. Work it out. Supply what was advertised.

/notvoting

This.

Legendary Hype

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I’m sorry but this poll is just plain stupid. Players SHOULD NOT have to choose which of the promised content should be scrapped while they are actively working on Expac#2. Deliver things that were promised and advertised without sacrificing anything before moving to development of content they will SELL us later.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I’m sorry but this poll is just plain stupid. Players SHOULD NOT have to choose which of the promised content should be scrapped while they are actively working on Expac#2. Deliver things that were promised and advertised without sacrificing anything before moving to development of conent you they will SELL us later.

Take a deep breath. Its postponed indefinitely translates to they just can’t give you a timeline because they don’t know. They will have them done before the new expansion is released.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Living World.
Legendaries are a minority pursuit.

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I’m sorry but this poll is just plain stupid. Players SHOULD NOT have to choose which of the promised content should be scrapped while they are actively working on Expac#2. Deliver things that were promised and advertised without sacrificing anything before moving to development of conent you they will SELL us later.

Take a deep breath. Its postponed indefinitely translates to they just can’t give you a timeline because they don’t know. They will have them done before the new expansion is released.

It’s a nice PR way of saying “cancelled” without using such strong word. You can be certain that we won’t see any new legendary weapon (except sb) before new expansion.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Will they? They got one done in 5 months and now have no one working on them. Either the next expansion is a loooong way away that they can get the rest done beforehand, or theyre going to pull a lot of people off of other work to get the rest done, which is something I consider unlikely. (Unless they give up the crafting of precursors and set the precursors as a drop/mystic forge I think it’s something that’s not going to happen this year, or next year).

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Oh please, they did list that as A reason, but not the reason. They in fact listed other reasons – like not liking how easy the Shatterer was to beat, especially since he’s one of the more iconic world bosses.

So you’re being excessively unfavorable towards them.

ArenaNet likes taking the easy way out when it comes to fixing problems, which often leads to problems later on. If the reason was “that collection is being blocked” then they would have just altered The Shatterer enough for that collection to no longer be blocked.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

None.

I’d rather have them streamlining, polishing and expanding existing content. Stuff like restoring Season 1, reworking dungeons, adding more fractals, improving WvW, adding more PvP maps and modes…

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Zetsumei.4975

You realise they announced new legendaries a few years ago right? Guess what, they didn’t come before the expansion.

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Nice poll.
A few walls of text here and there,but what can you do?
I vote for ice cream.You can’t go wrong with that.
No,seriously.It’s Living World.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-