Poll: Priest

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ibelko.3957

ibelko.3957

Which profession could you call “Priest”?
Let me explaine: not most healer class, but most roleplay skills (praying for Gods etc).

P.S. Yes, my english is really bad

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I would go with Human Guardian.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It would depend on race, I think. For humans, a necromancer might do very well. Remember, Tyrian necromancy isn’t “evil,” it’s not about reveling in death and decay. It’s about balance, and guiding the fallen where they need to go. It can also be about healing and cleansing.

A human warrior could be a priest of Balthazar, dedicating all his/her combat to Him. A ranger might follow Melandru. My rp main is a thief, and he follows Lyssa, though he’s supremely angry at how his luck has turned and has broken off his worship following LA’s ruin.

Charr refuse to worship gods. Norns are more about the Spirits and for them a Ranger might be the most in tune with the spirits. Sylvari follow the Pale Tree so perhaps a Guardian who is a Valiant Knight of the Pale Tree (I actually have one of those, though she’s currently disgraced for breaking an oath).

Asura .. hmm. To them the most holy thing is to delve into the Eternal Alchemy and understand the connections of all things. I could see Engineer or Elementalist working there.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

JQ Druid

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Would be either Guardian or Elementalist.
If you are roleplaying a human, then I would go for ele and tie each element to a god, like Balthazar = Fire, Dwayna = Water, Melandru = Earth and Lissa = Electricity (close enough for the last one )
For other races guardian would fit better imo, if you know D&D , then guardians is just like Clerics.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ll put my vote in for either Necromancer or Revenant as one who is actively involved in handling the deceased or channeling their spirit or powers. Guardians are more like holy warriors rather than priests imo.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

If you are roleplaying a human, then I would go for ele and tie each element to a god, like Balthazar = Fire, Dwayna = Water, Melandru = Earth and Lissa = Electricity (close enough for the last one )
For other races guardian would fit better imo, if you know D&D , then guardians is just like Clerics.

What about poor Grenth and Kormir? =(

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Belzebu.3912

Grenth would be for the Necros and Kormir … umm … errr … can be used as a filler if any other god doesn’t answer lol , she is the “newbie” of the group anyway.

ibelko.3957

Guardian: 2
Ele: 1
Necro: 2

Cmon! Need more votes

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

I’d have to go with human guard with all of the holy blue flames

… unless you are a fan of the anime/manga Blue Exorcist in which … guardian would be the devil. Sry had to throw that in there >.>

All proffesions 80

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Guardian: 2
Ele: 1
Necro: 2

Cmon! Need more votes

Ele

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Guardian in the general sense. Following the Priests of the human gods, any profession.

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

If human, a ranger(Meladru), warrior(Balthzaharr), guardian(Dwayna), necromancer(Grenth) or a mesmer(Lyssa) could be a priest for one of their gods (i don’t know who to match up with Kormir).

If Norn, a ranger would be the closet thing to a havroun (a havroun being a head priest or shaman for a Norn great animal spirit). A priest could also be a warrior(like havroun Gretchen) or a necromancer (like havroun Weibe).

Charr dont have gods (anymore), but you could make a fire-based elementalist to be a priest for the flame-legion.

The Sylvari and Asura both have no gods and have no obvious priest class.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Belzebu is wrong and ignorant to the lore.

Fire = Balthazar
Water = Grenth
Earth = Melandru
Air = Dwayna

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/God

Patronage

• Balthazar: Command & Spear Paragons, Fire Elementalists, Scythe Dervishes, Protection & Smiting Monks, and Warriors.
  • Dwayna: Air Elementalists, Divine Favor & Healing Monks, Leadership & Motivation Paragons, and Wind Dervishes.
  • Grenth: Assassins, Necromancers, Ritualists, and Water Elementalists.
  • Melandru: Earth Dervishes, Earth Elementalists, and Rangers.
  • Lyssa: Assassins, Energy Storage Elementalists, Mysticism Dervishes, and Mesmers.
5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

runeblade.7514

Which profession could you call “Priest”?
Let me explaine: not most healer class, but most roleplay skills (praying for Gods etc).

P.S. Yes, my english is really bad

Since you are looking for roleplaying and not healer. Here are the professions:

• Warrior
  • Elementalist
  • Ranger
  • Thief
  • Mesmer
  • Necromancer
  • Guardians
  • Engineer

All it requires is being devoted to the gods.

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

Theif for sure. They have a trait line called trickery for God’s sake! Hallelujah!

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Anyone u want. Even engies can toss Holy Granades of Antioch if your so desire.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

Come on guys… It’s Guardian hands up. No more debate needed!

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Yes, probably Guardian, but I think it’s Guardian. If I were to choose between Guardian and Guardian, I think I would definitely select Guardian, even though many would not agree with me by selecting Guardian.
So in conclusion, maybe, just maybe, Guardian is Priest.

Posted by: Faltharen.3586

Faltharen.3586

I definitely think it would depend on the god. Assuming it’s the human gods, most classes could be a priest of one of them if they dedicated themselves to it, like Mesmers or Thieves to Lyssa, Necromancers to Grenth, Warriors or Elementalists to Balthazar, etc.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

How can it be anything BUT Guardian? Spirit Weapons, Consecrations, Meditations, it all ties in.

runeblade.7514

How can it be anything BUT Guardian? Spirit Weapons, Consecrations, Meditations, it all ties in.

Because OP didn’t specify a specific kind of priest? Because Mesmers can be priestess? Because Necros can be Priests?

How does Spirit Weapons, Consecrations, Meditations tie in as a Priest class? It makes no sense.

GuzziHero.5104

… I don’t know what religious you have (hopefully none!) but most churches are pretty big on that spirit, consecration and meditation stuff.

I never saw a biker meditating, or a divorce lawyer (he’d be more likely to sacrifice something to Satan). Its pretty much a religious thing…

runeblade.7514

… I don’t know what religious you have (hopefully none!) but most churches are pretty big on that spirit, consecration and meditation stuff.

I never saw a biker meditating, or a divorce lawyer (he’d be more likely to sacrifice something to Satan). Its pretty much a religious thing…

You know what I never saw? I never saw a priest blast white/blue flame at people. I never saw a priest teleport around. I never saw a priest reflect arrows with a blue wall. I never saw a priest summon weapon out of thin air and attack people.

One final note, I never saw Guardians being tied to any kind of gods or religion.

With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity’s defensive nature and the charr’s desire to rule the battlefield.2

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian

• A guardian can be a priest.
  • A priest is not a guardian.

GuzziHero.5104

I’m not a lore kitten so fine, you win this one. Peace.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

guardians have the most monk skills (monks were the priests in every way back in gw1)

however there seem to be a lot of water elementalists that pray to dwayna for their healing abilities as well

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Warrior.

With a life dedicated to teaching and spiritual leadership, priests probably don’t have much left to dedicate to the other professions. Give them a sword and they’ll swing it around like a warrior.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Belzebu.3912

Belzebu is wrong and ignorant to the lore.

Fire = Balthazar
Water = Grenth
Earth = Melandru
Air = Dwayna

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/God

Patronage

• Balthazar: Command & Spear Paragons, Fire Elementalists, Scythe Dervishes, Protection & Smiting Monks, and Warriors.
  • Dwayna: Air Elementalists, Divine Favor & Healing Monks, Leadership & Motivation Paragons, and Wind Dervishes.
  • Grenth: Assassins, Necromancers, Ritualists, and Water Elementalists.
  • Melandru: Earth Dervishes, Earth Elementalists, and Rangers.
  • Lyssa: Assassins, Energy Storage Elementalists, Mysticism Dervishes, and Mesmers.

I was just trying to simplify, and it isn’t written in stone that each element relate to a god, so there is no “right” or “wrong” answer.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Six_Human_Gods#Pantheon

Dwayna is the goddess of Air and Healing, ele’s water attunement is also related to healing, so it isn’t “wrong” to relate water with her.

Energy storage doesn’t even exist anymore, and Lyssa is the goddess of water and illusion, again a water ele can relate other god and follow the lore.

So if you want a “right” answer and be the smarty pants, then the answer to OP is “What ever class/race you want”

ibelko.3957

So, it looks like guardian won this poll
And for my feeling of playstyle, guardian have more healing options. Am i wright?

Belzebu.3912

And for my feeling of playstyle, guardian have more healing options. Am i wright?

Yes, guardians are a very supportive class, and traits like Altruistic Healing heals people around you, among other traits and skills.

EDIT: AH heals yourself not allies
But the traits Selfless Daring and Writ of the Merciful (this one makes all your symbols heal), the Virtue of Resolve, and with mace/shield you’ll have plenty of party healing options, besides some utility skills.

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

runeblade.7514

No.

Guardians don’t have much party healing option.

That’s the warrior’s job.