Poll: Would you buy more skins if...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

This subjects come up a lot, so i decided to make a poll.

The purpose of this poll is not to debate whether the current system works, is right or wrong, or any of the. The current purpose of this poll is to answer a simple question.

Would you be more inclined to pay for skins, if they were unlimited use?

This assumes the transmutation charge system would disappear. One could assume skin parts would work similar to how store zenith skins work, you pick it, and it appears. Paying for a skin constitutes real cash purchases, not using in game exchange rates, unless at some point the gold you earned was from a previous gem conversion, and are now converting back.

This also assumes that the prices will not change, as the lost revenue from transmutation stones will be offset by increased skin sales.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll275585xDcA240BF-10

I’m curious to see the results! Obviously this will only be a small sample size as not everyone visits the forums, but its a good start.

For those already viewing the polls: there will be a separate poll for xmutation use. Please keep this thread about the skins, but some of you may not view both threads so i will list it here. Please keep any discussion about the original topic of unlimited use skins.

This poll is soley for tracking whether you payed cash for xmutation charges.
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll275610x72409927-10

Any free bumps to keep this topic fresh are appreciated, as well.

(edited by edgarallanpwn.8739)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m not sure I understand. The transmutation charge system would be gone entirely? So the entire wardrobe would be free to apply, or just gemstore purchases?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

edgarallanpwn.8739

I’m not sure I understand. The transmutation charge system would be gone entirely? So the entire wardrobe would be free to apply, or just gemstore purchases?

For no we are assuming any gemstore purchases made with cash. We could say any gemtstore purchases period, but that doesn’t make anet any money.

Currently zenith skins can be applied as many times as you want, in a storage type bin where you can use when whenever you want. The current assumption is cash bought gem store items would work this way as well.

Ultimately i wish the wardrobe system would be reworked entirely but i doubt that would happen

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That might require a rework of all the armors to make them like the zenith weapons.

How about something else, a multi use Transformation stone. There can be 2 levels. One is a permanent, unlimited use T-stone, 1000 gems. The other one is unlimited use but for a period of time, like the golem banker is unlimited use for 2 weeks.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

Transmutation charges aren’t that hard to get. I seem to recall that you get one if you explore a hometown area, like Divinity’s Reach or the Black Citadel. So, start up an alt, explore, get the charge. It’s a pain though if you want an entire set of gear.

I have only purchased one skin, which was the executioner gear and I purchased it for the sake of costume brawl toy that comes with it. I also bought some cheap gear off the TP and some vendors to help finish my 1000 skins achievement.

edgarallanpwn.8739

That might require a rework of all the armors to make them like the zenith weapons.

How about something else, a multi use Transformation stone. There can be 2 levels. One is a permanent, unlimited use T-stone, 1000 gems. The other one is unlimited use but for a period of time, like the golem banker is unlimited use for 2 weeks.

Tera uses a similar system for their skins. IF you wanted limited time items they have like, 7 day, 1 month, and permanent skins/items, all at different prices. That way if you like items the same way some people only like clothes(seasonal), you can get that at a cheaper cost, or you can obtain the permanent version.

I wouldn’t mind an unlimited use tstone either, because that takes the farming out of having to grind map completion or pvp. That would also allow us to change skins while leveling too, which was a complain of a lot of people. The norm now is people just wait till they are 80, but life happens, and sometimes getting 80 can actually take a while.

A big point for me is, how much is anet really making on xmutation charges? they could possibly make more money by using your option, or by removing xmog stone use altogether, as it adds a “Free use” mentality to buyers, making skins seem more “available”.

Having to use xmog stones for a lot of people it seems(As this issue has consistently come up) is a negative thing, because its something else they have to do for something they already paid for, so it deters some sales as well.

I made a second poll here about xmog cash purchases as well to try to gather some data

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll275610x72409927-10

I will add this to its own thread shortly to give it some attention as well

Transmutation charges aren’t that hard to get. I seem to recall that you get one if you explore a hometown area, like Divinity’s Reach or the Black Citadel. So, start up an alt, explore, get the charge. It’s a pain though if you want an entire set of gear.

I have only purchased one skin, which was the executioner gear and I purchased it for the sake of costume brawl toy that comes with it. I also bought some cheap gear off the TP and some vendors to help finish my 1000 skins achievement.

It’s not hard, i definitely agree. But it IS time consuming, and not everyone has the time to farm or grind them, and/or the ways to obtain them may not be parts of the game that the player enjoys. There are multiple options for alternatives for ANET to generate revenue AND eliminate the xmog stone system, or refine it

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I can’t believe on the results. I thought it’ll be 100% yes 0% no.

That being said, I have a few hundred transmuation charge, so the answer is probably a no eventhough I voted yes.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

same as laokoko in the amount stones I have. I tend to Spvp, so stones just pile up and I have nothing to do with them. So I voted without lying and selected no.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I voted no. Partly because once I have changed to something I like, I keep it like that and partly the overriding reason for a purchase is for the skin itself.

edgarallanpwn.8739

That being said, I have a few hundred transmuation charge, so the answer is probably a no eventhough I voted yes.

The reason behind this is a consumer mentality. People have certain thought processes that drive them to decisions. Whether that buyer is impulsive, or likes to plan things out, or wants them to be simple, each person goes about making their decisions a certain way. Because of this there is no one way to market to everyone. A business must employ multiple avenues of marketing to try to appeal to either specific demographics, or a multitude of different demographics.

A lot of people that play mmo style games generally have more time on their hands, so farming for charges isn’t a big deal for people. But there are also the more casual players that don’t necessarily have as much time, and they get hit by these item gates.

I myself just had a ton of time to play beforehand, but am now delving deep into an exam testing phase most likely for a couple months where i will have not too much down time to do certain things like that, and these phases come and go as my work and life demand it.

There are several solutions around it, and many of them could both profit anet and be better for players overall. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t like change.

The two most common responses to this i hear are " its ok right now" or " it was worse before" which are not really valid arguments, or just really really weak ones as to why it cannot be refined further in a way that’s mutually beneficial

same as laokoko in the amount stones I have. I tend to Spvp, so stones just pile up and I have nothing to do with them. So I voted without lying and selected no.

This is good info though. You fit the other part of the poll(which will have its own thread) that almost nobody probably pays CASH for xmutation charges. So i want to see if anet is actually making any money off them being in the gem store, at all. If not, then that leads to opening up other options for anet that actually make them money, and improves the experience for players.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m happy with the transmute system. The main thing that would have me buying a lot more gem store skins is having things that match more (some skins just don’t go well with pretty much anything), and less “partial” armour sets

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Even if few pay for Transmutation Charges, it may be a definite benefit to ArenaNet, in that it encourages play (time) spent in game. The fact some players have a multitude of Transmutation Charges, and ease in acquisition may encourage the sale of items that use them up, as well.

There are things to consider besides just the dollar bottom-line sales of the Transmutation Charges.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

But lets say only a few are actually buying the transmutation stones. Why not offer an unlimited version for 1000-2000 gems? It appeases those that dont want to worry about being limited. Makes money for anet, and all those people with 200+ charges don’t matter anyways because they wont buy normal or the unlimited one. =P At least that is my vote.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Even if few pay for Transmutation Charges, it may be a definite benefit to ArenaNet, in that it encourages play (time) spent in game. The fact some players have a multitude of Transmutation Charges, and ease in acquisition may encourage the sale of items that use them up, as well.

There are things to consider besides just the dollar bottom-line sales of the Transmutation Charges.

Yeah but so does using in game gold, or any other currency system, instead of having its own system.

I can earn gold fairly easily barely playing. I can’t earn xmutation charges barely playing. The ability to not have to play much to earn the gold to keep me busy during times i can’t play much is a plus for someone in my situation. And with skins and items being the “end game” limiting it in such a way makes others dislike it, as its been expressed in other threads.

Do you really think people are going to play the game less if we removed the transmutation stone system?

My bet would be no. I feel most players would welcome that change( as long as there are no significant price increases like skins being now 15$ or 1200gems ea etc)

But lets say only a few are actually buying the transmutation stones. Why not offer an unlimited version for 1000-2000 gems? It appeases those that dont want to worry about being limited. Makes money for anet, and all those people with 200+ charges don’t matter anyways because they wont buy normal or the unlimited one. =P At least that is my vote.

That’s the second time this idea’s been mentioned, its not a bad idea and actually could work

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Indeed, I do.

Some enjoy the ‘reward’ of Transmutation Charges, and thus do ‘Charge Runs’, just as others do different runs for another kind of reward.

We don’t know what players all do. I’m guessing the Devs have a better idea.

Regardless, if the Devs/ArenaNet feel your suggestion would be better for the game and their company, I hope they implement it with all haste.

Best of luck on your suggestion! =)

Kronos.2560

I might have thrown the idea around a few different posts before =P. Figure makes it more likely a dev will see. =). Quite sure i’m not the only one for it though.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Have I ever paid for them, no.
Did they drop from stuff, yes.
Do I use them, yes.
I have a lot of them.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Indeed, I do.

Some enjoy the ‘reward’ of Transmutation Charges, and thus do ‘Charge Runs’, just as others do different runs for another kind of reward.

We don’t know what players all do. I’m guessing the Devs have a better idea.

Regardless, if the Devs/ArenaNet feel your suggestion would be better for the game and their company, I hope they implement it with all haste.

Best of luck on your suggestion! =)

Yeah thanks. I don’t expect this to actually affect most of the playerbase since most mmo players actually have time to put into games but since this is a more casual mmo, if we bring to light to anet that there’s ways to improve the system for EVERYONE, or the select group that gets pushed out by this more, maybe they’ll do something about as there is also something in it for them besides a happier playerbase(who doesn’t love money as a business).

Maybe we’ll find out there’s enough people who are actually looking for this.

Sometimes you don’t notice a problem, or a way to make something better until its flaws are discovered

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

72% for no and 28% for yes. So much for that theory. I voted no because I understand that Anet needs to make money to keep the game going. I love how people complain about having to pay for things when they know the game had no sub. If it was up to some people the game would go under because they want everything for free or very cheap.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why? I have yet to run out of free transmutation charges, and at the rate i am getting them (and using them) their number actually increases, so transmutation cost doesn’t even enter the consideration when buying skins. I doubt i am the only one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I feel most players would welcome that change( as long as there are no significant price increases like skins being now 15$ or 1200gems ea etc)

Well that would most likely be the trade off if indeed they made gem store skins unlimited use. The infinite harvesting tools used to be soul bound. When they switched them to account bound the price increased from 800 gems to 1000. I imagine unlimited use skins that would then be in the wardrobe and available to all characters of the same armor class would go up in price as well.

Here is how the gem store skins used to work before the wardrobe because you were not around then. You got to use it once for free on one set of armor. Then if you wished to use them again say if you upgraded armor or want to go with a new stat set you had to use transmutation stones for armor below level 80 and transmutation crystals for level 80 armor. The transmutation crystals were much more expensive and didn’t drop in game as much. Also during the transmutation process you lost the armor stats you transmuted the appearance from so it was not good for stat switchers. For example say you had a flamekissed skin on armor with Soldiers stats but you wanted to transmute the appearance onto armor with Berserker stats, you lost the Soldiers armor after the transmute was done. There used to be a gem store item, transmutation splitter that would reverse if someone made a mistake or changed their mind but it was costly as well.

The main thing was, since there was no wardrobe you could only use the skins on one set of armor. Say you had two light armor characters, you could not use the skin for both of them unless you bought a second set of skins from the gem store.

Before you mention the , just because it was worse before argument, I’m just letting you know how it used to work. I’m not saying there is no room for ideas to improve things. However, I think what Anet has done with the current wardrobe system and transmutation charges is their middle ground. I don’t expect it to change any time soon.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the system we have is fine, actually. I rarely transmute my armor, but when I do, I have plenty of Charges stock-piled.

Like other players, I would prefer Dev resources were spent on something that I don’t, personally, find broken. We do, already, have Outfits to fit this particular niche, even if it isn’t exactly what everyone desires.

I am mainly posting just to let the Devs know I would rather they work on something other than this, but if, IF, they find your suggestion compelling, I wish you much luck on its speedy implementation, as I said, before. =)

edgarallanpwn.8739

72% for no and 28% for yes. So much for that theory. I voted no because I understand that Anet needs to make money to keep the game going. I love how people complain about having to pay for things when they know the game had no sub. If it was up to some people the game would go under because they want everything for free or very cheap.

What do you mean so much for that theory? 30% increase in skin sales is a HUGE profit…

You didn’t read the OP, or any of the subsequent comments either which countered your argument already which were stated multiple times.

I’d prefer you do some research before coming in here and boasting that people are “complaining” when your rather weak argument has already been countered by multiple people who offered suggestions which would benefit both companies, as well the statement in the opening post.

There have been several suggestions(including the statement in the op) that stated better ways to make anet money as well as make the experience for players better so….

I’m really not sure why you came here to complain about things which have already been answered =/

I feel most players would welcome that change( as long as there are no significant price increases like skins being now 15$ or 1200gems ea etc)

Well that would most likely be the trade off if indeed they made gem store skins unlimited use. The infinite harvesting tools used to be soul bound. When they switched them to account bound the price increased from 800 gems to 1000. I imagine unlimited use skins that would then be in the wardrobe and available to all characters of the same armor class would go up in price as well.

Here is how the gem store skins used to work before the wardrobe because you were not around then. You got to use it once for free on one set of armor. Then if you wished to use them again say if you upgraded armor or want to go with a new stat set you had to use transmutation stones for armor below level 80 and transmutation crystals for level 80 armor. The transmutation crystals were much more expensive and didn’t drop in game as much. Also during the transmutation process you lost the armor you transmuted the appearance from so it was not good for stat switchers. The main thing was, since there was no wardrobe you could only use the skins on one set of armor. Say you had two light armor characters, you could not use the skin for both of them unless you bought a second set of skins from the gem store.

Before you mention the , just because it was worse before argument, I’m just letting you know how it used to work. I’m not saying there is no room for ideas to improve things. However, I think what Anet has done with the current wardrobe system and transmutation charges is their middle ground. I don’t expect it to change any time soon.

Yeah thanks for the info. If anything I’m just bringing light to the subject. I don’t know that they’ll do anything, but most times game developers change things is because people voiced opinions and gave data. They’re busy doing so much that they’re not going to be 100% in tune with everything that goes on.

SO far the additional skin purchase rate is at 30%. The forum population isn’t as much as i’d like it to be but currently standing, those are good numbers, considering most people already have charges and stuff.

Astralporing.1957

What do you mean so much for that theory? 30% increase in skin sales is a HUGE profit…

Only if it comes from people that would spend on skins more than they spend now on transmutation (remember, people that don’t need to buy transmutation charges are unlikely to be in the second category, assuming they answered honestly). It’s entirely possible it would be an actual loss in sales, not gain.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

edgarallanpwn.8739

Only if it comes from people that would spend on skins more than they spend now on transmutation (remember, people that don’t need to buy transmutation charges are unlikely to be in the second category, assuming they answered honestly)

Correct. But what this data shows is they’re alienating a market through psychological marketing by gating skins with the use of transmutation charges. If most people don’t need xmog stones, then anet isnt making much profit right? But if they instead made skins much more accessible+ useable at will, the increased sales from those skins could over weigh what they are doing now.

On top of that, this is only a very specific change. Could you imagine if we rid the xmutation system entirely? And people could change at will? Even if you had tons of stones already, its a freeing mentality. Not having to see this will cost you x charges, or worry about them at all.

Marketing is very puch psychological in selling your products to your customers. Even if the consumer is not worried about x, if company makes y easier, then it’s something that consumer doesn’t have to think of. Something that could only be positive(except for that niche market that someone said likes farming xmog stones).

There was also the idea of unlimited use stones(which is a roundabout way of removing the system at a cost) which is a possibility too.

That’s why i used the word “more” inclined. There’s also b

Kronos.2560

Made a poll concerning the unlimited trans stones also. If it is of any interest. Was curious how the turnout would be.
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll275672xCB1C4F07-10

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

When one makes a suggestion, the amount of work involved is always a question. Is this only gem store armor and weapons or is it all armor and weapons in the game? It might not be easy to make some free to apply without making them over in some way. Possibly someone who has coding experience can comment on that.

Regardless, it would be simpler to have permanent T charges available rather than reworking all gem store gear.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. The loudest group is often in the minority.

edgarallanpwn.8739

When one makes a suggestion, the amount of work involved is always a question. Is this only gem store armor and weapons or is it all armor and weapons in the game? It might not be easy to make some free to apply without making them over in some way. Possibly someone who has coding experience can comment on that.

Regardless, it would be simpler to have permanent T charges available rather than reworking all gem store gear.

a simpler solution would be to just allow unlimited use of all skins, or change the currency to like in game gold. There’s plenty of other gates that aren’t as limiting or time consuming if they really feel the need to gate it.

And the offset would be replaced by increased sales. This is a very specific situation, but somewhere else in here i stated i would much rather the whole xmutation system go away, and it just use a normal system. Wow’s is a great example. Whether or not it has subs doesn’t mean to much, as they have their own item store, and anet would too. This would be a psychologically pleasing change to the playerbase, which would open up more chances for increased sales as well.

There’s multiple avenues to tackling this that benefit both sides, but the point is that theres something that can be improved upon here, that would benefit both sides. How is another story

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I would not buy more skins, as I already buy every skin that interests me, and just because it’s free to apply forever won’t make me want the Toxic or Lawless skins any more than I already do — which is not enough to spend money on.

However, I would use skins a heck of a lot more. In the old system I changed up my looks quite frequently at all levels. Now I feel miserly with my charges even when I have a bunch (and I never buy them from the gem store except for those RNG gives me in my infrequent key purchases). I’ve also bought skins I’ve never used but keep on clogging up bank space because if I ever do want to use them they’re a free charge. I finally consigned my unused Scarlet shoulders and gloves to the wardrobe when I was making bank space, and have done so with a few other skins that were locked; I still can’t make myself dump the skins that are unlocked but still sitting in my bank.

I’d definitely pay 1000 gems for a permanent transmute. I might even buy a few to save the effort of shuffling them from alt to alt, though I’m hoping for an account-wide inventory bag for such things as several have suggested.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

For me the only deciding factor to buy a skin is whether I like it or not.
Even if a skin was free to transmute forever I wouldn’t buy it if I didn’t like it. Just like I don’t refrain myself from buying a skins I like and want just because it will cost me transmutation charge to use it more than once.

Astralporing.1957

Correct. But what this data shows is they’re alienating a market through psychological marketing by gating skins with the use of transmutation charges.

No. It doesn’t show that. You are drawing unsupported conclusions for something that can have a different explanation. For example it may mean that some people might use the money they use now on transmutations on skins, thus buying more skins, but not increasing Anet earning at all (i’m not saying that this is the case – but it may be).

If most people don’t need xmog stones, then anet isnt making much profit right?

Not on them. We have no idea however how big income comes from those that do buy those.

But if they instead made skins much more accessible+ useable at will, the increased sales from those skins could over weigh what they are doing now.

Could. But at this moment, without more data, it is equally likely that it would make the overall sales go down.

On top of that, this is only a very specific change. Could you imagine if we rid the xmutation system entirely? And people could change at will? Even if you had tons of stones already, its a freeing mentality. Not having to see this will cost you x charges, or worry about them at all.

I had thought the same when they introduced the system. I didn’t know how easy to get they were to become though. Now i don’t even check how much transmogs i have left – i know i have enough.
Yes. I know there are people for whom no amount of transmutations will be enough. An infinite trans stone might be a good idea for them. Not sure whether Anet would consider it beneficial for their sales however.

except for that niche market that someone said likes farming xmog stones

…that’s the point, i don’t farm them. And still they pile up by the truckload.

Actions, not words.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Correct. But what this data shows is they’re alienating a market through psychological marketing by gating skins with the use of transmutation charges.

No. It doesn’t show that. You are drawing unsupported conclusions for something that can have a different explanation. For example it may mean that some people might use the money they use now on transmutations on skins, thus buying more skins, but not increasing Anet earning at all (i’m not saying that this is the case – but it may be).

If most people don’t need xmog stones, then anet isnt making much profit right?

Not on them. We have no idea however how big income comes from those that do buy those.

But if they instead made skins much more accessible+ useable at will, the increased sales from those skins could over weigh what they are doing now.

Could. But at this moment, without more data, it is equally likely that it would make the overall sales go down.

I had thought the same when they introduced the system. I didn’t know how easy to get they were to become though. Now i don’t even check how much transmogs i have left – i know i have enough.
Yes. I know there are people for whom no amount of transmutations will be enough. An infinite trans stone might be a good idea for them. Not sure whether Anet would consider it beneficial for their sales however.

except for that niche market that someone said likes farming xmog stones

…that’s the point, i don’t farm them. And still they pile up by the truckload.

That just means you’re not one who fits the demographics this poll is aimed at. You may not farm them specifically, but you play often enough to let them stockpile, or have no need for them at all, or a combination of them all etc.

Any assumptions you can make about the data predcition are just as fallacious as mine, as we have no real data from anet to prove either way.

The difference between our two stances is i HAVE to take my stance, otherwise there would be no reason to even bring this up. If i don’t support it in the fullest, there would never be a reason to find the data, or bring light to this subject in the first place.

And as we are seeing, I’m not wrong. And also this discussion is also bringing in other ideas which won’t disrupt the current system and will benefit BOTH sides in only a positive change.

Like i said before i expected that the majority would not care for this, but i also bet that there was enough who would, as well.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This also assumes that the prices will not change, as the lost revenue from transmutation stones will be offset by increased skin sales.

kittenumption. “Will be offset,” should probably be changed to, “might be offset,” without evidence to support a claim of precognition

There have been several suggestions(including the statement in the op) that stated better ways to make anet money as well as make the experience for players better so…..

No there haven’t. There have been suggestions that stated ways to make the experience better for some players, but nothing that can be demonstrated as being able to produce more revenue for Anet. What can be stated accurately is that suggestions have been made that MIGHT produce more revenue.

The norm now is people just wait till they are 80,

The norm for who? How many people other than yourself are you attempting to speak for? Do they know that you have defined what is normal for them?

But what this data shows is they’re alienating a market through psychological marketing by gating skins with the use of transmutation charges.

No it doesn’t.

And the offset would be replaced by increased sales.

“Would,” should probably be replaced with, “might,” unless there is evidence to support a claim of precognition.

This would be a psychologically pleasing change to the playerbase,

“to the playerbase,” should probably be replaced with, “to me,” without evidence to indicate that the playerbase as a whole has elected you to speak for them.

The difference between our two stances is i HAVE to take my stance.

You do not have to make up facts, state possibilities as certainties, or claim to speak for others to have a stance though.

================
All of that said:

No to the question posed in the OP. The hypothetical change would have no impact on my decision to buy/not buy gemstore skins.

On the other hand I tend to think that it might be a good idea to allow gemstore purchased skins to be used without transmutation charges and so support your efforts in this regard even if I am not fond of the form the efforts take.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Transmutation charges are so easy to get, it’s more or less of a non-issue to me. Can’t speak for other people, but then again the poll is a personal opinion.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

If you pvp regularly, you should be swimming (drowning) in charges.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you are going to offer a poll, you need to rephrase the question so it fits the likely scenario:

• Are you willing to pay 15-25% more for gem shop skins, if that means you don’t need to use transmutation charges?
  • Do you prefer paying less for gem shop skins, which would continue to need transmutation charges after the first use (just like other skins in the wardrobe)?

If that’s the choice, I prefer the current system.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

oh wow. so many people bought transmutation charge.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

The limiting factors on buying skins from the gemstore, for me, are:

1) How much does it cost, either in gold or real money?
2) Do I actually think I’m going to use it?

Transmutation charges don’t enter the equation.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

For no we are assuming any gemstore purchases made with cash. We could say any gemtstore purchases period, but that doesn’t make anet any money.

Currently zenith skins can be applied as many times as you want, in a storage type bin where you can use when whenever you want. The current assumption is cash bought gem store items would work this way as well.

Ultimately i wish the wardrobe system would be reworked entirely but i doubt that would happen

Okay, but your original phrasing is that transmute charges would be removed entirely. What if I don’t want to change my look to a gemstore item? What if I want to use a skin I’ve unlocked in the game, like glorious or carapace? Or do you mean that charges would still be in place for those items, and gemstore armor/weapons would work like zenith does? Because I use a lot of the in-game skins on my characters, so transmute charges actually effect more than just what you buy in the gemstore. Have I misunderstood your intention?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Personally I dislike transmulation charges. Or more accurately, I do not like that you have to pay to change your appearance when you have already unlocked that skin. If you buy a skin in the gemstore, why should you have to pay again if you want to change back to it at a later date? It feels like you are forced to pay more to be able to reuse an item you have already paid for.

I understand Anet are using it as a way to generate revenue, but personally it feels like you are paying for something because you have to rather than paying for something because you want to. I know you don’t have to change your appearance, but because it is indirectly giving you what you want, psychologically it feels like a hurdle. When you buy skins it is direct gratification, when you buy charges it is an obstacle you must get past to get the gratification.

So if gem bought (via cash or gold) skins could be changed without needing transmutation charges I would be happy.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The transmutation system isn’t the reason I do or don’t buy skins. I don’t really have an issue getting charges. I get them from map clearing (I can speed clear grove in like 10 minutes if necessary) and from pvp reward tracks. I have over 100 currently, so I’m not hurting for charges. I do think the current system is much improved over the previous. However, like I said, that doesn’t affect whether or not I buy the gem store skins.

I simply buy them if I like what they look like and I can afford to do so. It’s just that simple.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

Transmutation charges are raining in the game, there’s no need to buy them unless you change your look every day. Like me.

I like trans charges for skins. When you buy a skin in gem store you get 1 free usage of it. If you want more you only need to use charges while a year ago you needed to buy this skin again.

Current system is perfect. Players can earn charges in game or buy them from gem store. This is one of very few examples of fair play between arena net and players. I like tu support them when they do sth good with buying trans charges.

This system should stay. There is not enough armor skins on tp to keep revenue while with trans charges anet can be rewarded by happy customers more often.

This poll is another try of the same user forcing his point of view on customers trying to deny anet’s right to get paid for additional service.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of the transmutation system, but I would like it if gem-bought sets were treated like radiant/hellfire skins. That would certainly tip my purchases toward some of the sets I’ve had my eye on. As it is, I’ll probably wait for them to go on sale before getting purged for new stock.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

edgarallanpwn.8739

Personally I dislike transmulation charges. Or more accurately, I do not like that you have to pay to change your appearance when you have already unlocked that skin. If you buy a skin in the gemstore, why should you have to pay again if you want to change back to it at a later date? It feels like you are forced to pay more to be able to reuse an item you have already paid for.

I understand Anet are using it as a way to generate revenue, but personally it feels like you are paying for something because you have to rather than paying for something because you want to. I know you don’t have to change your appearance, but because it is indirectly giving you what you want, psychologically it feels like a hurdle. When you buy skins it is direct gratification, when you buy charges it is an obstacle you must get past to get the gratification.

So if gem bought (via cash or gold) skins could be changed without needing transmutation charges I would be happy.

This is the exact thesis of why i myself don’t like the xmutation system. I feel that removing the psychological boundary with another avenue that generates revenue might increase sales, but either way yeah that’s exactly it.

If i pay for 20 skins, and i want to swap whenever i want, i dont want to have to buy a stack of 100 charges just to use what i just payed for ya know? I JUST paid them an absurd amount for virtual items nonetheless.

I think part of the problem, if not the main problem, is all other game models don’t have an official “exchange” for in game currency to paid only currency. In other games that items are paid only, everyone gets the same treatment, and everything is pretty straightforward. Sometimes there is an option of selling it for in game gold to someone if thats what you fancy, but since its paid only, it ALWAYS generates revenue, where in anets case, it only generates revenue if its bought with cash.

And again, i have no problem supporting good companies, but that doesn’t mean my purchases are just made without thought.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

And again, i have no problem supporting good companies, but that doesn’t mean my purchases are just made without thought.

Yeah, same. I am happy to pay real money to change my appearance and support Anet, but it does not feel like a fun purchase, more a necessary one.

In other games, that do not have an ingame gold to gems conversion, you often have an NPC you can buy gear customization tokens from, or some such item similar to charges. These are fine, as they are usually scaled to fit a certain time requirement (through the aquisition of in game gold). But when your only option is to convert gold to gems to get this item, and the conversion rate can vary wildly at times, you sometimes have to pay through the nose in in game gold for an item that really shouldn’t cost you that much.

If the cost of transmutation charges was reduced significantly, so that it equated to say 2 gold per charge (and even that may be a little high for some) I would not have a problem. But the current exchange rate is very high, and equates to approx 25 gold for 5 charges (conveniently 1 charge short of a full armour set). So to change your entire armour set you would have to pay for 10 charges (if you had none), which equals nearly 50 gold. If you are someone who enjoys changing your appearance on a regular basis this price is far too high, and therefore their only option is to buy more armour pieces (filling up your inv) so they can have different looks on different pieces, bypassing the tranmutation system altogether.

I pay for charges when I need them, and I have multiple sets with different stats for different builds. If I had to have different armour pieces for different looks for each stat combo, I’d have no bag space left for anything else! So I kind of have to buy charges when I want to change my appearance. It’s not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, but I would be very happy to see the cost of transmuting significantly reduced or removed altogether.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Allow to convert custom skin sets into outfits, charge 1 transmutation charge and I would buy more skins. Otherwise the price of using multiple skins/sets isn’t worth it.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

I have all gemstore armor skins. So if they are not releasing many new ones and remove charges they will see no money from me. I believe I’m not alone in such situation and what’s more I strongly believe this is why we won’t see a goodbye for transmutation charges.

Again, I love the current system is very fair for players and I hope the OP stops his weird agenda.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

The problem with the poll is that “No” includes all the people who would never buy skins, either way.

You really need more answers.

For example:

1. I am someone who buys skins, but would buy more of them if they were made unlimited use.

2. I am someone who buys skins and making them unlimited use would NOT increase the number I buy.

3. I am someone who doesn’t currently buy skins, but I would start buying them if they were made unlimited use.

4. I am someone who doesn’t currently buy skins and making them unlimited use would NOT make me start buying them.

Something like that.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I bought profaine skin a while back and then lost it due to upgrading armor

if I want that skin again I have to rebuy it which really sucks
it would be nice in regard to skins that once you’ve bought them from the gemstore you can obtain them again for free if you lost them

but its not that big a deal really.. I doubt I’ll buy that skin again anyway

but yeah I enjoy gemstore skins a lot
although I do wish that they would add more free skins to the game from time to time
and for the love of Grenth please put Black Lion Claim tickets up for direct gem purchase..
finding one of them is a kitten nightmare and can take forever to get enough scraps to make one..
or at the very least reduce the scrap requirements to 5..
just obtaining older Black Lion weapon skins is near impossible
either find several claim tickets which is a joke or buy them on the trading post for an obscene amount of money..

Seriously no skin in this game is ever going to be worth blowing that kind of gold…
and I’ve got a Mini Karka for crying out loud.. that thing is worth around 1.600-1.800g its absolutley ridiculous that anything in the game is priced up to an obscene point like that..
hell im uncomfortable with buying and selling anything for more than 100g