Polygon updated their Guild Wars 2 review

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

and I shall agree. :-) See here: http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3728326/guild-wars-2-review-second-coming

I am cross reading on an other forum of a recently released AAA title MMO (I think you know which game I’m referring to) and there are so many cries and wishes that game would be more like GW2.

Ofc not everything was perfect GW2 did (why, just why did they remove my favorite map Labyrinthine Cliffs) – but all in all ANet is doing an incredible amazing job. Right now I’m glad though there’s no real content update atm during WvW s2 and inb4 China release (and the start of LS season 2) – gives us ppl time to do things we didn’t have time for during LS phases. At least for me.

So after almost 2 years: do you see this game has significantly improved? What are your main reasons that you still enjoy playing it? Where you want this game to go? Although having played 2.000+ hours since release. I just recently spent some real money on the TP for the first time just to show my approval for what ANet is doing and to support the game I really like. Good night!

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: Jamin.6528

Jamin.6528

I think GW2 has a solid skeletal structure. However, I am consistently disappointed when Anet either misses or avoids opportunities to put some flesh on that skeletal structure.

What we have is a game that could last for a very long time:

• Skills could be added as time goes on
  • New weapons could be granted to professions
  • Living story could actually flesh out the world
  • PvP could become an E-sport
  • The lack of raiding tiers results in more of a focus on creative cosmetics
  • Engaging WvW fights, maybe with changing maps and landscapes as time goes on
  • Rewards worthy of the effort put into them
  • This list is not exhaustive

However this is not consistent with what Anet is actually doing:

• Adding items to the gemstore for a quick buck (I’m looking at you lawless armor and all the masks/scars released)
  • Showing that they have no idea how to balance their own classes
  • Disregarding all the lore from GW1 as if it never existed
  • Leaving dungeons as they are; an embarrassment that they call PvE content
  • Rigged WvW matches that are decided before they are even played
  • All the cool items are gated behind an online gambling system, which I still question the legality of, given that children play this game

TL;DR - GW2 could be an amazing game, but Anet is not playing to their strengths; they’re aiming to make a quick buck by pumping out lackluster gemstore items every week or so.

Lucromia Mukroc – Necromancer
Leader of The Hardcore Caravan [HC] – Blackgate
http://thehardcorecaravan.shivtr.com/

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

If you think what they have introduced in the last 1.5 years is “amazing” you must not’ve played any other game with an expansion, ever.

The standard MMO fare is to add an entire new continent each year. For reference, there is only a single continent in GW2 so far – Tyria, so adding another continent would be virtually doubling the game’s PvE content.

They’ve done almost nothing besides waste large amounts of time and resources on temporary content that new players don’t know about and can never play.

Guild Wars 2 is a good game, it always will be, because it has an excellent core design (besides the obvious issues from the Berserker meta and zerg mechanics). But to be honest its like… stuck in groundhog day or something.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I think GW2 has a solid skeletal structure.

I strongly disagree one of the most important features are still very lackluster – the rewards.
On top of that the dynamic event system seems to be forgotten since we had no new dynamic events since at least a year.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Illumine Sparkler.6019

Illumine Sparkler.6019

In 1 year and 9 months since release the only permanent content that has been added is Southsun Cove, TA Aetherblade Path, FOTM and EOTM.

I wouldn’t really call that “amazing”.

The following is what my guild came up with in under 5 mins, and im sure there is a lot more we missed. if you only see those 4 things its cause that’s what your letting yourself see.

Southsun Cove
Crab toss
Sanctum Sprint
A lot of dynamic events they didn’t tell us about at the time they added them
TA aetherblade path
FoTM
EoTM
Belcher’s Bluff
Spirit hammer pvp map
Moa racing(currently not there atm due to destruction of LA)
Spirit watch pvp map
The new pvp map I cant remember its name came with feature patch
Karka queen world event
Triple trouble world event
Ascended armor and accessories
Pve wallet
and more wvw abilities.

Leader of GOLD (Guardians Of Lost Deities)
Whiteside Ridge server
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

In 1 year and 9 months since release the only permanent content that has been added is Southsun Cove, TA Aetherblade Path, FOTM and EOTM.

The following is what my guild came up with in under 5 mins, and im sure there is a lot more we missed. if you only see those 4 things its cause that’s what your letting yourself see.

Southsun Cove
Crab toss
Sanctum Sprint
TA aetherblade path
FoTM
EoTM
Belcher’s Bluff
Spirit hammer pvp map
Spirit watch pvp map
Karka queen world event
Pve wallet
and more wvw abilities.

For 1.5 years, that’s a really sad list. And it’s clear you’re desperately trying to pad it when you add stuff that’s not in the game (Moa racing) and WvW abilities, none of which takes no more than 10 minutes of work to implement.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

And it’s clear you’re desperately trying to pad it when you add stuff that’s not in the game (Moa racing) and WvW abilities, none of which takes no more than 10 minutes of work to implement.

Ten minutes ?

Illumine Sparkler.6019

like I said, that’s 5 mins with about 10 people that were on in my guild, you cant deny though that these with the exception of moa racing, were perma added, and still are in the game. the list could go on for quite a while longer, laurels, guild missions, etc, I wasn’t “padding it” at all. people only want to see the negative in things because it gives them something to complain about, and the people that bring up no new content obviously haven’t seen what they have been given.

Whiteside Ridge server

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

From the link:

As you explore, your UI will alert you to nearby dynamic events that you can choose to take part in or ignore at your leisure. These events give huge experience point and gold rewards, pushing players to team up and help each other on the fly, even when they’re technically not grouped.

Where are those dynamic events that reward gold? More like a fistful of silver …

Otherwise I think it’s an ok “review”.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

gw2 is one of the best mmos out there and i dare to say it is number one casual friendly mmo available.
can it get better? yes much better if anet fix and change some of the stuff players are asking and improve their communication and interaction with their player base meaning no more silence and always keep us up to speed about major future plans for the game.
many triple A mmos already doing so and their players know whats coming.

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Southsun Cove
Crab toss
Sanctum Sprint
TA aetherblade path
FoTM
EoTM
Belcher’s Bluff
Spirit hammer pvp map
Spirit watch pvp map
Karka queen world event
Pve wallet
and more wvw abilities.

Somehow it seems you are proud of that list.
This list is very sad for almost 2 years and many years of GW1 experience.

Players made absolutely clear what they want.
-New maps/maybe new continent.
-New races
-New Storys
-New Skills/changeable skills instead 5 fixed skills
-Skills detached from weapons
-Don’t handle GW1 lores like they never existed.
-Orr rebuild
-Less zerker Raids (why you offer Tequatle, Karka and Tripple when player said they dont want that is far beyond me)
-Open the map to GW1 size. Right now it’s a fraction of former glory and people dont like it.

i could go on and on…………. i just want to know how your list matches these demands that are not made by single people.
They pop up on a daily base from thousands of people.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Teq and Triple are awesome events, but it’s true that they’re really not adding enough. Also, that ‘new’ review is over a year old.

I’d rather they fix the races they have than add new ones, but that’s just me. More, new content would definitely be appreciated.

Unfortunately, expac wise, I think they’ve developed themselves into a hole because of the game’s free access. Other MMO expansions tend to merely increase the treadmill. Previous Guild Wars expansions were largely independent of each other. Unfortunately, in GW2, everything is interdependent with everything else, so there’s no way to ‘isolate’ expansion content.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

how can you write a review on a game that’s so wishy washy

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

too many Gem Store update contents!

R.I.P Kumu <3

Illumine Sparkler.6019

if you don’t like what anet have given you doesn’t mean they haven’t given anything, im not disputing the player base has asked for many things and we will never see a lot of them, I was responding to the fact that a person said we had such little perma content added to the game. wanting something doesn’t give you the right to have it though, I want every legendary in the game, doesn’t mean I expect anet to ever hand it to me, its their game to add what they want.

Whiteside Ridge server

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Permanent content after all this time?

- A few useless mini games (most people only do it for +1 daily AP)

- Belcher’s Bluff (Once you do it, you never do it again, even doing it the one time is boring/RNG)

- Account wallet (glad to have it, but it’s only a pebble in an ocean, aka not a big or significant change)

- 2 Open World luck based 100 man zerg only raids that players have no control over, unless they form an anti social guild and run and hide from other players in forced overflows.

- Fractals of the mists. Stagnant for more than a year, and then when it finally got some attention it wasn’t anything significant.

- WvW ranks. Took them over a year to change their mind from “NO!”, to agree with the players in making it account based. Another pebble in the ocean.

- Removing the overly punishing “Soulbound”. 2 years of begging later. Pebble in an ocean.

- Account Wardrobe. 2 years of begging later. Pebble in an ocean.

- Ever expanding Gem Store. No player cares. Add more skins to the game that can be EARNED.

- Some new PvP maps. And most players hate their very existence, especially in SoloQ and TeamQ (Before being removed from TeamQ). Skyhammer is still hated by the PROVEN MAJORITY of actual players. Rank farmers opinions do not count.

- Edge of the Mists. No one wanted an insignificant PvE karma train map. This project was a failure.

- Borderland Bloodlust. No one asked for this, anywhere, ever, and all it did was create chaos and dissent.

After 2 years that’s a really pathetic list. But that is what happens when you assign 80% of your staff to Gem Store brain storming, instead of working on the game.

They recycled ‘box release’ content over and over with the temporary Living Story. The majority of players want the map to expand. Recycling content is pure laziness, and gives the illusion of content, and being TEMPORARY, it was LITERALLY an illusion, as it no longer exists, ever.

PvP and WvW need developers and staff assigned to them. I mean more than 5 temporarily cycled people.

PvP and WvW also need constant balance changes/tweaks, to keep the meta from stagnating/being stagnant. Tweaks need to come every month to keep things fresh and creative. But since there is no PvP/WvW staff, this will never happen.

PvE fluff and Gem Store fluff/illegal gambling practices need to stop.

The game that came in the box was fantastic. But since then the game direction has been terrible and lacklustre.

There is a lot of room for improvement, the company just needs to be willing to devote resources in the correct areas.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Just read the summary of the review, but I wonder what kind of drugs the reviewer had taken.

ArenaNet is not only matching the quality of update I’d expect from a subscription-based MMO, it is surpassing the quantity by leaps and bounds.

My favourite part of the whole stuff. Both quality and quantity of the updates ANet has produced for GW2 so far are a bad joke compared to other MMOs.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: Khattnip.1908

Khattnip.1908

I really don’t see why people are so quick to dismiss the temporary content we received! Like for over a year we were basically guaranteed we could log in and play some relatively new content with usually pretty decent rewards! Sure it hasn’t been happening for the last month or two, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there! And if you personally didn’t like some or many of the updates that doesn’t invalidate it, most players I know really enjoy it and I can’t wait for Season 2!

Such savings, very Ogden, wow!

Illumine Sparkler.6019

your opinion is your opinion, but please show me your evidence of “proven majority” hating skyhammer. over 3 million accounts, id like to know how you know the numbers of farmers/players and their oppinions.

Whiteside Ridge server

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)

(…)
    (…)
    (…)

• Adding items to the gemstore for a quick buck (I’m looking at you lawless armor and all the masks/scars released)
    (…)
  • All the cool items are gated behind an online gambling system, which I still question the legality of, given that children play this game
    (…)

A bit unfair aren’t we? In order follows my disagreements.

• Too many skills drowned GW1 into an unbelievable imbalanceble game, not making that mistake again is good thing in GW2.
  • New or already existing weapons being granted to other professions is something under work for a long time, the problem is, as always, balance it.
  • And in does, KH is for ever changed in a huge way by the events there, LA is another map that most likely will never be the same again, and evidence of everything else can be found around world, right down to the remains of the thumpers across all the maps.
  • Theres no gear treadmill on GW2, which is a VERY good thing, but some people like it (like you apparently) and for those Anet has a very clever solution, Fractals and Agony Resistance.
    Its something you can work for to get higher and higher to partake in more and more difficult fractals, but at the same time its a stat that won’t affect WvW so everyone can be in a fairly equal ground.
    Ultimately, it was always said that GW2 would be about cosmetic, not stats.
  • There’s not much to complain here, LS metas for example can be done in 1 or 2 days, what do people expect from that loot chest really? And even a very casual player can do it in less than a week, thanks to the way their achievements are granted anyone can do it, again, what to expect loot wise? Couple of legendaries?
    A dungeon path will take about 15~20 minutes, it will give several blue/green items that can be sell or salvaged, a few champ boxes with even more goodies, guarantee gold and tokens to buy exotic lvl 80 gear, again, what else woukd you expect?
  • Buys are 100% volunteer, the game doesn’t charge a sub fee and thru LS it delivered (for free, mind you) more than enough content that in any other MMO would have been packed in a paid expansion pack.
    Releasing cosmetics on the gem store is NOT a big deal, and a company that allows you to EASILY buy those with in game gold can be called anything but greedy, or after a quick buck.
  • Anet doesn’t rig matches, they’ve actually been working hard changing several times the way match ups work trying to hit a sweet spot.
    The reason why match ups can become predictable is because of players transfering in great numbers to what ever server happened to be strong already, does making it even stronger and with better coverage.
    A gem fee was pretty much all anet could do to try to ease this problem, but again, it’s the players actions/mentally that cause this problem.
  • Before anything you aren’t placing any real money bets (unless you want to) so that whole gamble dies on the beach.
    The problem is these “cool” (guessing legendaries, that honestly most just look silly, but thats a different argument) items need to be rare, by their very nature if they aren’t rare they aren’t worth it.
    And because something can only be rare if there aren’t very many of it, that means NOT EVERYONE can have it, how do you screen out people? By having a low drop rates. Low drop rate on mats, clovers and the all important precursor.
    Now is the part where you say “make it a challenge” and I reply getting the badges fighting was challenging, but people lol’d at that and farmed JP’s instead, just as an example.
Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Dean Calaway.9718)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

“Too many skills drowned GW1 into and unbelievable imbalanceble game, not making that mistake again in a good thing in GW2.”

GW2 is not balanced and it has close to no build variation.
Switching your traits and armor doesn’t change your skills.
I’m running same GS Guardian build since the first beta in 2012.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

“Too many skills drowned GW1 into and unbelievable imbalanceble game, not making that mistake again in a good thing in GW2.”

Funny that you mention no build variation and Guardian when it’s a profession that can be a great DPS, a great bunker, or a great support/heal.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

I think GW2 has a solid skeletal structure. However, I am consistently disappointed when Anet either misses or avoids opportunities to put some flesh on that skeletal structure.

TL;DR - GW2 could be an amazing game, but Anet is not playing to their strengths; they’re aiming to make a quick buck by pumping out lackluster gemstore items every week or so.

Agree with that top part! Truth!

The Gemstore… They need money to produce this content. More money for them is a good thing. However, if they are to create a lot of skins that are only sold in the Gemstore, they should definitely add skins in the game as well! I think that’s disrespectful.

The dungeons are actually a “joke”, not because they’re awful, but because it’s the only thing out there! For PvE, we have Dungeons and Fractals basically. We need more!
I’d love to see something that gives us a real challenge that doesn’t simply involve to remember the tactics, but to actually be skillful in the moment, to think on the fly!

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

If i would review it now, i would point it less, i believe since the game launched there are things very odd on the development that got unable to address several issues.

When it comes to GW2 now, something major is missing, that is the new content.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

I think GW2 has a solid skeletal structure.

I strongly disagree one of the most important features are still very lackluster – the rewards.
On top of that the dynamic event system seems to be forgotten since we had no new dynamic events since at least a year.

I’ll add another core element that’s disappointing: fixed weapon skills. Will we ever get more?

There’s also little you can do if you simply want to play alone for whatever reason. At least Guild Wars 1 had henchmen and heroes you could use to do missions/dungeons/FoW/UW/etc. In Guild Wars 2 you are pretty much stuck with open world content which, while fun at times, is seriously unrewarding. And just to clarify, I’m not asking for the same level of reward, I’m asking for something decent.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

They are actually also “fixing” things that shouldn’t be fixed

~ Teq and Wurm. (Raids are never coming to this game people need to get over it and be quiet, go kill Lyssa or do level 40 fractals and move on.
~ Added traits to “improve diversity in builds” All of those traits get in the way of other more solid traits because they fixed them at the end of certain lines, instead of allowing them to be placed anywhere in grandmaster column. So much for diversity.
~ Before adding these new traits they should have gone thru the traits system and updated/removed the absolutely useless traits in certain classes.
~ Nothing is being done about the skills that are already there on certain classes that might as well be blank holes for all the good they do ( such as the 1 second or less Smoke Vent on the engineer FT)
~ Megaserver should have given the players the ability to choose which channel they’d join with labels like (Guild) (Party) (Friends) from a map interface.
~ Wardrobe should have been an actual wardrobe instead of a transmogrify knock off. When I hear the word Wardrobe I think of the outfit system in LOTRO where you have 2 outfit slots, buy the rest, and you can switch between them on the fly, you slot the items you want the look from into the outfit interface. (there’s no need for crystals)

I’m consistantly amazed at how people who claimed early on that they were all gamers can somehow not know the basics of ui development or the basics of features that made other games great in the past and miss the chance to update this game to have said features.

• PvP could become an E-sport
  • Engaging WvW fights, maybe with changing maps and landscapes as time goes on
  • This list is not exhaustive

• Showing that they have no idea how to balance their own classes
  • Disregarding all the lore from GW1 as if it never existed
  • Leaving dungeons as they are; an embarrassment that they call PvE content

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Exactly my thoughts. Before these people tout “this game isn’t hard enough” they need to evaluate just how broken some classes are, just how restricted these classes are.

For example, you can’t do certain bosses on scout classes because of the lack of Stability. Seriously I’ve tried with both a normal group and a veteran group, unless you have stability in the group (something Scout classes seriously lack) you can’t do certain bosses because you spend most of the time on the ground. But to hear that guy talk this game is the most balanced thing ever.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Yorgie B.5618

Yorgie B.5618

• Too many skills drowned GW1 into an unbelievable imbalanceble game, not making that mistake again is good thing in GW2.
  • And in does, KH is for ever changed in a huge way by the events there, LA is another map that most likely will never be the same again, and evidence of everything else can be found around world, right down to the remains of the thumpers across all the maps.
  • Theres no gear treadmill on GW2, which is a VERY good thing, but some people like it (like you apparently) and for those Anet has a very clever solution, Fractals and Agony Resistance.
    Its something you can work for to get higher and higher to partake in more and more difficult fractals, but at the same time its a stat that won’t affect WvW so everyone can be in a fairly equal ground.
  • There’s not much to complain here, LS metas for example can be done in 1 or 2 days, what do people expect from that loot chest really? And even a very casual player can do it in less than a week, thanks to the way their achievements are granted anyone can do it, again, what to expect loot wise? Couple of legendaries?
    A dungeon path will take about 15~20 minutes, it will give several blue/green items that can be sell or salvaged, a few champ boxes with even more goodies, guarantee gold and tokens to buy exotic lvl 80 gear, again, what else woukd you expect?
  • Buys are 100% volunteer, the game doesn’t charge a sub fee and thru LS it delivered (for free, mind you) more than enough content that in any other MMO would have been packed in a paid expansion pack.
    Releasing cosmetics on the gem store is NOT a big deal, and a company that allows you to EASILY buy those with in game gold can be called anything but greedy, or after a quick buck.*

The voice of reason! I completely agree with all of these points. ArenaNet has done an awesome job with this game.

The living story point is particulary true: “thru LS it delivered (for free, mind you) more than enough content that in any other MMO would have been packed in a paid expansion pack.”

I can understand the desire for a new continent (Cantha and Elona) but asking for standard and stale boxed content is asinine! I’d prefer a rapidly evolving and changing world that I affect over boxed content that once people run through it, they will be complaining about the “State of the Game” yet again. ArenaNet has done a great job with adding new content and removing it after the event is over while leaving remnants that they occurred. I do not understand how players can ask for “fresh” content when in fact all they want is another add-on which two months after release and doing it 50+ times will be complained about because there isn’t something newer.

AMD FX-8350+Sapphire R9-290
Guild Wars Community member since 2005

Posted by: Jamin.6528

Jamin.6528

Refer to my first post.

Refer back to his/her post.

I hope you realize that there were two portions to my quote. It seems like you bundled them together to form some sort of retort though. I suppose this is the part where I respond to you in full:

• Never did I say that I wanted as many skills as GW1 offered. GW1 worked with an entirely different skill system too, in the sense that you could use skills from two professions instead of one. All that I said is that Anet should introduce more skills as time goes on. Think of the new healing skills for example. I was excited when Anet announced them. Releasing new skills over time =/= releasing ~150 skills every year like GW1 did.
  • Can you show me where they said that new or already existing weapons have been under work for a long time? Sounds just like the alternative method for obtaining pre-cursors that they have been working on, or guild halls for guilds. Let’s face it, it took Anet ~2 years to make this ‘big’ feature patch. The patch itself was fairly minute though, adding quality of life changes to things that we have been requesting for a long time. If it takes two years to get those quality of life changes in, I would hate to see how long it takes to get actual content and balancing into the game.
  • I will admit that Anet was doing a better job with the living story near the end. Still, their tactic of using temporary content has proved inefficient. Players come back to the game and realize that they missed all the content, never to be played again. Sure, LA may have been blown up, that’s definitely a big example of a change. For dealing with an invasion from Scarlet’s forces, who are pretty much the Anti-Pact, I would have expected more changes around the world besides a blown up city, some thumper turrets, and a vista. Anet could have done a lot better with the story and they know it.
  • You misread my post, again. I said “What we have is a game that could last for a very long time: …The lack of raiding tiers results in more of a focus on creative cosmetics”. This means that Anet doesn’t have to spend as much time balancing complex raiding content, like Blizzard does when they release expansions. Instead, Anet can focus on making ‘creative cosmetics’; awesome and beautiful stuff that people would want to buy. As I mentioned in one of my later points though, we instead have Anet going to quick cash grabs. Refer to Mask of the Wanderer/Silent Something for examples, as well as Flamekissed armor.
  • So I think you identified a crucial point here – There’s a lack of real challenging content in PvE. Anything that is challenging, like fotm 50 for example, gives poor rewards. The three-headed wurm also gives terrible loot for the amount of effort and coordination required to down it.
  • Buys are voluntary to an extent. You said so yourself though that there is no gear treadmill in GW2. The only thing that players have to look forward to are new skins. If all of these new, and arguably better looking skins, are being released through the gemstore, then of course many players will feel compelled to buy them. It’s the only way to progress in what I like to call the Cosmetic Treadmill!
  • Where did I say that Anet was the one rigging matches? I said “Rigged wvw matches that are decided before they are even played.” You really have to stop misquoting me, as it takes credibility away from your rebuttal. WvW is structured in a way where servers can collaborate and decide matches before the game even begins. Take a look at tier 1 for an example of this.
  • The gambling issue is still a problem. I questioned the legality of it because it is an online gambling option for in-game goods. This is a service that Anet has proffered to those below the age required to actually engage in gambling. It doesn’t matter that there is an alternative. An example of this dilemma would be: offering a child a chance to play on the slot machines in a casino. The child can either (1) use money that they have, or got from their parents, to gamble with, or (2) go work in the back for hours on end until they earn the equivalent to the cash required to gamble. This example correlates with the gemstore gambling dilemma, in the sense that players can either (1) buy the gems with cash and gamble, or (2) spend a lot longer farming gold in-game to buy a chance at gambling. No matter how you spin it, there is a moral dilemma that Anet is offering children a chance to gamble online, and I don’t know how the Legislature or the Courts would respond to that. I would be very interested in seeing such a response though!

You’ll find that I haven’t merely bashed GW2. I still support the game to an extent and hope it does well. I’m just very disappointed in the direction that Anet is taking.

Lucromia Mukroc – Necromancer
Leader of The Hardcore Caravan [HC] – Blackgate
http://thehardcorecaravan.shivtr.com/

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

• New or already existing weapons being granted to other professions is something under work for a long time, the problem is, as always, balance it.
    Releasing cosmetics on the gem store is NOT a big deal, and a company that allows you to EASILY buy those with in game gold can be called anything but greedy, or after a quick buck.
  • Anet doesn’t rig matches, they’ve actually been working hard changing several times the way match ups work trying to hit a sweet spot.
    The reason why match ups can become predictable is because of players transfering in great numbers to what ever server happened to be strong already, does making it even stronger and with better coverage.
    A gem fee was pretty much all anet could do to try to ease this problem, but again, it’s the players actions/mentally that cause this problem.
  • Before anything you aren’t placing any real money bets (unless you want to) so that whole gamble dies on the beach.
    The problem is these “cool” (guessing legendaries, that honestly most just look silly, but thats a different argument) items need to be rare, by their very nature if they aren’t rare they aren’t worth it.
    And because something can only be rare if there aren’t very many of it, that means NOT EVERYONE can have it, how do you screen out people? By having a low drop rates. Low drop rate on mats, clovers and the all important precursor.
    Now is the part where you say “make it a challenge” and I reply getting the badges fighting was challenging, but people lol’d at that and farmed JP’s instead, just as an example.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. No game is ever going to be perfectly balanced. Gw1 may have had skill imbalance from time to time but it beat the class imbalances that gw2 has. Nothing thrills me more then the fact that hambow war can outperform an interrupt Mesmer with little effort, why? Balance

The 3-4 builds per a profession compared to the number of traits…… It blows my mind with all the space for activities I can do / sarcasm

While both gw games don’t have a required gear tread mill, they failed to have what gw1 had. In gw1 you did frost maw for a chance to get silver wing bow or bone cage scythe, it gave an actual reason to do the dungeon since it was the only place outside player trade to get those weapons. In gw2 you can get nearly every weapon skin from any mob, thus they are all generally 1 gold.

Releasing gemstore only skins isn’t a deal. Releasing reskined skins with only flames or mist effect is a different story. The other issue left a bitter taste was the fused weapon, sorry but you can’t in good faith say that was not a a straight up money grab. Sure you can argue the moot point that you can transfer gold to gems, but keep in mind who controls the ratio.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –