Polymock - What Happened To It?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What happened to it?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember back when game was still in development, Arena Net talked how this mini game would be included when the game launched, and it wasn’t.
Now 9 months later – still nothing, only empty polymock arnea near the Rata Sum, and one in Lion’s Arch (I think) and few NPCs in Divinity’s Reach talking about it.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

all of those mini games that they mentioned would be in seem to not have appeared.

thing is, we know they have made them, every special event they have done have had at least one mini game. Why couldn’t they just have put those in the cities as a permanent addition? Anyway, yeah I hope they put them in…at least before the year is over.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The designed and built them pretty much to completion and then decided they wanted players to focus on the characters they spent a lot of time building and getting skins for and they shouldn’t take away from that with lots of mini games so they scraped nearly all of them.

Now they reintroduce them in various forms for temporary events.

They mentioned it somewhere a long time ago, but there is pretty much 0 chance of me being able to dig up the quote.

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

Ikr, I went to divinity’s reach on my new character when gw2 first launched because I couldn’t wait to play the carnival games, but then I talked to the npc and she said it was closed. Arenanet, please activate them >_<! (The only working minigame they talked about was keg toss)

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The bar brawl one sounded cool. A constant free-for-all PvP fight as I understood it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What happened to it?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember back when game was still in development, Arena Net talked how this mini game would be included when the game launched

Since the game launched well ahead of schedule, they haven’t managed to finish them in time, and now they have bigger problems to deal with. Depending on how close they were to completion, those minigames might be finished for some of the future living story chapters. Or might end up on a pile of scrapped concepts.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Polymock in GW1 was an original concept, but flawed in its execution. I don’t think a lot of players found it a lot of fun. So I’m not that excited to see it again. I suppose they’ll eventually get around to implementing it. But currently the game does lack an end game, so there are more pressing issues.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

What happened to it?
Ok, let´s see if I can put down the list from memory..

• Halloween Event(gets deleted)
  • Southsun Cove Karka Invasion(leaves an empty island)
  • Winters Day(gets deleted)
  • Fractal Dungeons(grind till the cows come home)
  • Living story starts (new content comes in, gets deleted and comes in, gets deleted and comes in, gets deleted ..)
  • Moto Dungeon(gets deleted)
  • Dragon Bash(soon to be deleted)

I think that about sums it up, right?

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

I wish Anet would come right in here and comment on this. I was so excited.

Not to mention the little Anet arena with the minis in it next to fort marriner

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What happened to it?

• Living story starts (new content comes in, gets deleted and comes in, gets deleted and comes in, gets deleted ..)

Good one, +1.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

What happened to it?

Yeah, all of this temporary content is killing the game for me. Content needs to stay or have a concrete, lasting effect. Colin did promise that Living Story is still in a ‘testing the waters’ phase, so I’m hopeful that things will go better as we head towards Christmas.

Holiday events seem to have an excuse (being ‘holiday’ events and all), but really there is no excuse. Even the holidays should have a lasting (gameplay wise) effect on the game.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Colin did promise that Living Story is still in a ‘testing the waters’ phase, so I’m hopeful that things will go better as we head towards Christmas.

Holiday events seem to have an excuse

Yeah, Colin promises a lot.
In hindsight what kittentinkles me off the most was how early they started with the temporary content(Halloween) instead of bugfixing and Dungeon fixing, making good on promises from before launch like Polymock. Or the DR Bar Brawl, without which ALL the alcohol in the game has become useless as it was supposed to give boosts during that minigame!

Although I´m even somewhat sympathetic towards the need for Holiday events, as basically every other MMO has them, Halloween clearly was the first step in the wrong direction that GW2 is headed now for the last 8 months.

Polish > hype

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

this game needs more dungeons
Some easy dungeon with a reasonable reward should be the first mostly because there isn t any real “casual dungeon” except cof1.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Colin did promise that Living Story is still in a ‘testing the waters’ phase, so I’m hopeful that things will go better as we head towards Christmas.

Holiday events seem to have an excuse

Yeah, Colin promises a lot.
In hindsight what kittentinkles me off the most was how early they started with the temporary content(Halloween) instead of bugfixing and Dungeon fixing, making good on promises from before launch like Polymock. Or the DR Bar Brawl, without which ALL the alcohol in the game has become useless as it was supposed to give boosts during that minigame!

Although I´m even somewhat sympathetic towards the need for Holiday events, as basically every other MMO has them, Halloween clearly was the first step in the wrong direction that GW2 is headed now for the last 8 months.

Halloween was great and still the best event so far. We just need less RNG this years Halloween.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

We have been getting a lot of instanced PvP mini games. Keg brawl, Crab toss and Dragon ball. But those are all instanced and spread out. Out of sight out of mind so to speak.

Personally, I would like to see more in town content. Like Costume brawl and Moa racing. Its neat to see people in the towns gathered in different areas doing different activities. Carnival like games where you can watch players, cheer them on or heckle them would be great.

The best implementation of a bar brawl I think I have seen was in DDO. There was a pit in the center of a bar. If you jumped in, then you entered combat and it was just a free for all. If you died in the pit, then you respawned at the top and could jump back in or watch the other people go at it. Everyone in town could get involved one way or another because it wasn’t instanced.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Colin explained how those monthly holiday event mini games won’t get deleted but come back the next time with additional games and maybe changes/improvements to the minigames we’ve played so far. GW1 did this and it worked fine, after a few years there was TONS of stuff to do, for example Winters Day, which had a lot of stuff each year.

He also explained how they have more time to work on different things once all of the holidays have content.

Colin Johanson

You’ll see holiday festivals return, but with updates each year to continue to expand the festival experience, provide new rewards, etc. You’ll also see some types of living world content, such as Super Adventure Box, some mini-games, and other types of content that make sense return at various points through-out the year as they are updated as well. And as mentioned earlier, the dungeons people enjoy from our living world release will be researched by the keepers of the Fractals of the Mist and used as way to continue to expand and build on our fractals permanently going forward.

We’ve built out a portfolio of content and experiences we can use and more easily expand on for years to come with our holidays and recurring content, leaving us a larger opportunity in the future to focus time on other projects around those events since we’re not building the festival from scratch. This means as holidays we’ve run in the past approach, you’re more likely to see larger living world projects like permanent updates to existing dungeons, world areas, etc.

We’ll go into more specifics about what we’ve learned from living world releases so far, and where we’re taking them in the future with a blog/video and press tour at the start of July. This should help answer any of the more specific questions about what to expect in the future in regards to the living world in Gw2.

That said, I also wished that there were much more activities to do in the home-cities.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Polymock in GW1 was an original concept, but flawed in its execution. I don’t think a lot of players found it a lot of fun. So I’m not that excited to see it again. I suppose they’ll eventually get around to implementing it. But currently the game does lack an end game, so there are more pressing issues.

Original you say?

I thought it was fun though. I wish they would bring it into GW2 as a permanent mini game. Please not a temporary gimmick!

Attachments:

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

polymock played differently than pokemon, you had your skillbar and cooldowns if I remember correctly

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

You guys are missing points. Some of the things from each event do stay. Such as moa racing will stay along with the new JP. Southsun gave us a new world boss with chest. Dragon Bash and Sky Pirates will have the new JP and moa racing to stay. There will be a living story soon that will introduce Polymock but i think they are working on the balancing considering Polymock would essentially be PVP.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.