Pool hero points into a currency?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaggura.4839

Kaggura.4839

Hi all,
Not sure if it has ever been suggested, but I was wondering if it would be feasible to merge Hero Points accumulated across all characters into one pool that could be used by any of them for the new Elite specs? This way, people could earn HP on any character (open world HP, not the cross character ones already available using WvW currency) and then use them on whatever class they like? Just figured it would make it so people didn’t have to farm these on each individual class even if they have like 200+ on a class they don’t want an elite for and are just going to waste. Thoughts?

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

I can get behind that.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I understand why they won’t do this, but I’d also like them to do this.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Interesting idea, will have to think on this one a bit more, but quick thoughts:

Pros:

• If you enjoy one class more than others you could focus on unlocking un-needed HPs with a toon you prefer to use on others
  • People could unlock specializations faster and then collect points for additional toons as they go
  • Would remove some of the “what do I do with the spares?” syndrome
  • Encouarges alts which extends game play

Cons:

• How to handle negative balance if a toon is deleted and HPs are overspent
  • May create more “I am done with the content, what now?” scenarios since people don’t have to play thru content
  • Advantage given to people with more alts (say this as I have 24 of 31 so far) since they have more base points
GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

^Pretty much this. It would be a cool thing, but I doubt they will do it. Some HP’s are to easy to get and allows you avoid the moderate to difficult ones.

TheGrimm.5624

^Pretty much this. It would be a cool thing, but I doubt they will do it. Some HP’s are to easy to get and allows you avoid the moderate to difficult ones.

Since HPs are also tied to map completion, this may negate that issue though. Unless of course the player doesn’t want to that as well.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Would be the right time to make everything account shared ( map completion, hp, etc… ), and find a new way to obtain “gifts” needed for legendaries.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Since HPs are also tied to map completion, this may negate that issue though. Unless of course the player doesn’t want to that as well.

Yes, but pooling the points together wouldn’t help with map completions, but a player could go out on alts and get the easy HP’s and not care about map completion or anything else.

Some people have dozens of alts. They could fill a pool of HP’s very easily.

TheGrimm.5624

Would be the right time to make everything account shared ( map completion, hp, etc… ), and find a new way to obtain “gifts” needed for legendaries.

I really don’t enjoy hearts. They put me to sleep. I would love to see WvW and PvP currency that could be spent to auto-clear hearts like HPs, but think players should still have to do other things like POI’s and vistas to get map completion.

The new zone portal scrolls are good balance to me, having quick access to a zone start and I have to go from there is a good compromise. Would like them to add something like this for all zones in the end or at least all new zones moving forward.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I can see it as a possibility because in wvw we have a currency called proof of heroics which is very similar to what you are wanting. We get them from our skirmish chest as well as other things. They are used to by skill scrolls that help boost our characters hero points, as well as purchase siege, food and utilities. They could just make it when you succeed on doing a hero point to turn it into proof of heroics and maybe add the hero point vendor somewhere like lions arch.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

Man, I hope they don’t make map completion account-wide, I never play my fully-mapped characters because there’s nothing to do on them.