Population falling ?

Population falling ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Guessing none of you have heard about this mythical thing called real life, in which people lose their jobs, maybe internet, go on vacation and leave their games behind, or God forbid have a loss in the family, or tests, and exams to begin cramming for, as the school year draws more quickly to a close.

Happens every day of the year. Doesn’t explain a mass exodus.

Because there hasn’t been one. You have no evidence. WvW is busy pretty much all the time. The same exact thing happened during season one…and back then we didn’t have Edge of the Mists to play in either.

Of course there has been. Every single game has one. It’s not enough to kill off the game but there is a drastic population reduction. To say otherwise is blind faith or lack of experience of previous MMOs.

Also, WvW is busy all the time on… which servers again? There are a few servers that would tell you you’re wrong. The bandwagon jumping to the top three servers that everyone did is why there are such concentrated battles in WvW. You can’t use that to disprove anything.

No, there hasn’t been a “mass exodus”. That implies something abnormal. If you’re talking about normal traffic patterns, that’s not a mass exodus. People and and go all the time. People go and come back. This is normal.

Calling it a mass exodus, then, is at the very least extremely misleading. Do you have numbers of any kind to support this mass exodus? Do you know how many people are playing now as compared to six months ago?

Population falling ?

Posted by: Arrion.2185

Arrion.2185

Depends on if you’re a full time or part time student, as well as what you do outside of school, from home, to work, and social life.

I have friends in college, most of them part time, who are majoring in Psychology, or other such courses, that require a lot of study, and still find time to have lives. So it can’t honestly be all that bad the whole school year.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

ESO’s problem is it feels so dead. NPC’s stand, sit, but basically do nothing. They don’t have conversations with each others (although they do talk to themselves). The combat mechanics are terrible. Melee range is a huge radius and you don’t need to be close to anything to kill it Also, it has LESS skills than GW2 and the combat is based on a console FPS combat. You can’t make a good looking character – they all look like they are ‘strung out’.

The Imperial Race lockout IS NOT the same what GW2 does. You can play all the races in GW2, you just get some bling and a finisher – totally different. If you think Mist Wolves are a good elite, you haven’t used the others, it is very mediocre at best.

In ESO, as in SWTOR, they spent there money on actors doing voices, but unlike SWTOR, that is all they did. Michael Gambon as one and John Cleese as the other big voice and all I thought was, this was a waste of time.

During the beta, other players talked about how free the exploration was. Well, I did that and I can tell you it was NOT very explorable. I hit more glass walls than in GW1 and almost every building you walk into is it’s own little map, zoning is everywhere and annoying.

I did not participate in the Beta – from what I heard from others who did it was greatly improved at launch. You talk as if GW2 NPCs do anything different apart from being background animation at best.

As for voice-acting, you don’t know who are the other big names are do u? Theres Kate Beckinsale and Malcolm McDonell etc. Is it money well spent? Well put it this way, I seriously doubt that people will buy the game simply because of their star-power, they had a nice budget to hire really talented actors thats all. I would be more concerned if they hired Selena Gomez or the Glee cast to do the voice acting.

“If you think Mist Wolves are a good elite, you haven’t used the others, it is very mediocre at best.”

Seriously this is what I block people for in-game. No it does very good DPS, has good health and has a short CD and is the best DPS summon elite apart from Asura Golem series-7 and summon Thieves Guild, the former being a racial elite and the latter a class elite. It has become my default elite on my sylvari Guardian in most situations. Why would any so-called GW2 “fans” trash that skill is beyond me – if its “mediocre”, then a lot of other elite skills are equally as mediocre.

Combat mechanics are different – you can’t really compare the two and not everyone likes more skills, which is why GW2 doesnt have as many skills as WoW.

I dont deny there is greater customization in character building in GW2 and better aesthetics imho but its not the basis of a game with longevity.

“The PvP is also NOT that good – it is too big and too dependent on zergs.”

Sounds like GW2 WvW. And I hate GW2 PVP – no matter how many tweaks there are to class balance to the detriment of PvE, it is destined to be a “esport” flop.

Calling it a mass exodus, then, is at the very least extremely misleading. Do you have numbers of any kind to support this mass exodus? Do you know how many people are playing now as compared to six months ago?

Same question can be applied to you. Unless you are Anet you have no idea.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Population falling ?

Nage.1520

Same question can be applied to you. Unless you are Anet you have no idea.

100% right. You don’t know and I don’t know.

The difference here is I can happily admit I don’t know. Some people seem to think they have answers they can’t possibly have.

Now I didn’t come into a thread and say the population is shrinking and I didn’t come into a thread and claim there’s been a mass exodus.

That’s the difference. I’m replying to claims made by others. Threads that are at best guesswork, but stated as some kind of truth. I’m countering that because there’s no way anyone can know.

But I’m pretty sure Anet didn’t raise server caps because the population is shrinking. I haven’t seen mass layoffs as usually happens when that happens to companies. And I do see constant help wanted ads on the Anet website. I’ve seen the financial report from NcSoft and none of it suggests anything out of the ordinary.

When I make a post and claim the population is growing, feel free to reply and tell me I have no proof.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

LOL you guys.

What does it matter about which game is better? Is it really that big of a deal? I know you want to represent and stand beside the game you enjoy the most but give it a break.

Since this is a GW2 forum, of course other games are going to get bashed but that doesn’t make them right.

At the same time some of you say ESO is generic, cheap, lame, whatever else you want to label it, people on the other side say the same thing. So what?

It really is apples and oranges. GW2=F2P Rated Teen
ESO= Sub Rated Mature
Both entirely different settings and styles.

As far as the cost of a sub? It ranges from .44 cents to .50 cents a day. Being a “lead-foot” on the gas pedal of a vehicle costs more a day in gas, or a cup of coffee, or a candy bar for that matter.

Quality content sells, regardless of how the cost is presented, whether F2P or Sub.

Just for the record. Unless someone here has direct sales and game population data, then it’s just subjective to say the game has gained or lost population.

I for one don’t play anymore, but with the 50percent discount, newcomers are sure to arrive.

One MMO coming out, or two, isn’t going to solely kill GW2 population.

What will however, is poorly designed content or lack of content in general (i.e, new zones.) GW2 will either die the testament of old age, or suffer the hammer from corporate decisions or poor content before losing to another MMO.

(To the person regarding ESO voice over: For any large MMORPG to VO every quest is a feat in any book, and what lacks in GW2 quests by far. Some of the VO in ESO has been astounding to say the least, but its subjective regardless. If GW2 used VO like Taimi and Rytlock more often in their quests, it would bring a better immersion experience, but meh.)

(edited by Antara.3189)

Population falling ?

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

the server are really never full i dont know why anet says its full when its not you can clearly notice this because different times of the day the status will change and it will allow you to change server even though an hour ago it says its full.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Population falling ?

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

No patch updates for a month now. Next patch is only quality of life stuff, nothing game changing.

eso
ftl’s free xpac
titanfall
hearthstone
LoL URF mode (which is gone now /cry)
D3 xpac
WoW xpac
and the upcoming wildstar

(edited by Charak.9761)

Population falling ?

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

It’s because of wvw tournament. Guilds are mass-transferring to other servers.

Population falling ?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Keep in mind that the ‘population’ listed for a server really has nothing to do with the number of active people on it. It simply denotes the number of accounts tied to it.

The only way a server’s account population changes is if someone transfers, anet increases the cap, or accounts are deleted.

We know that some people transferred for the wvw season, which will shift things around a bit.

We know that inactive accounts aren’t simply removed (as you can come back and play at any point). The only accounts that might actually be removed are those that have been perma-banned, and even those might not be chopped right away, since people can appeal such judgments.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Mo Killer.8095

Mo Killer.8095

I see very little motivation to play what I have seen before, multiple times, for monthes and monthes.

Really! Its only been 3 weeks since the LS wrapped up and the feature pack is out on Tuesday. Months and months?

Brother Numsie [WTM] – Guardian – AR

Population falling ?

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I don’t know a single game that people can play every single day for years and still have fun.

We do. Played with my guild for 3 years in GW1 and now GW2. EVERY NIGHT 9-Minnight eastern.

The secret? It’s not the game it is friends chatting as we just spend time together. We know birthdays, real names, and some of us met in RL. I just went to a comic con yesterday with a guild member that drove in two and a half hours from out of town.

We also have voice, and every new member is surprised how friendly we are and take time to learn about them. The real person.

I also had lunch with a guild member from Jamaica, that chose to go to college near where I live. and we have done RL activities a few times now.

So play everyday and not get tired of it? No way!

Population falling ?

Posted by: Spaceowl.5123

Spaceowl.5123

I just picked up the PC Gamer magazine (May 2014) in UK a few days ago in which at the end it says for Guild Wars 2: “Guild Wars 2 refines and improves the MMO with rolling quests and dynamic combat, and as a bonus there’s no subscription fee after purchase. Four hundred thousand concurrent players can’t be wrong.”

Not sure what their figures are based on though or how dated it is.

Guild Co-Leader of The Drunken Alliance [DKAL] (The Piken Square Server)
Proud to be an Engineer
http://www.dkalfansite.com/

Population falling ?

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I don’t think it’s falling on Devona’s Rest. There were more people than ever on the Queensdale Champion Train yesterday.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Population falling ?

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

The population is obviously lower.
They have all but admitted/announced that by introducing the Megaserver. The megaserver serves as a means to provide the illusion of a much higher playerbase than there actually is and is just a server merge without actually calling it that.
There is only one reason for doing such a thing.

Population falling ?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

LOL you guys.

What does it matter about which game is better? Is it really that big of a deal? I know you want to represent and stand beside the game you enjoy the most but give it a break.

Since this is a GW2 forum, of course other games are going to get bashed but that doesn’t make them right.

At the same time some of you say ESO is generic, cheap, lame, whatever else you want to label it, people on the other side say the same thing. So what?

It really is apples and oranges. GW2=F2P Rated Teen
ESO= Sub Rated Mature
Both entirely different settings and styles.

As far as the cost of a sub? It ranges from .44 cents to .50 cents a day. Being a “lead-foot” on the gas pedal of a vehicle costs more a day in gas, or a cup of coffee, or a candy bar for that matter.

Quality content sells, regardless of how the cost is presented, whether F2P or Sub.

Just for the record. Unless someone here has direct sales and game population data, then it’s just subjective to say the game has gained or lost population.

I for one don’t play anymore, but with the 50percent discount, newcomers are sure to arrive.

One MMO coming out, or two, isn’t going to solely kill GW2 population.

What will however, is poorly designed content or lack of content in general (i.e, new zones.) GW2 will either die the testament of old age, or suffer the hammer from corporate decisions or poor content before losing to another MMO.

(To the person regarding ESO voice over: For any large MMORPG to VO every quest is a feat in any book, and what lacks in GW2 quests by far. Some of the VO in ESO has been astounding to say the least, but its subjective regardless. If GW2 used VO like Taimi and Rytlock more often in their quests, it would bring a better immersion experience, but meh.)

You have got totally backwards. GW2 forums is the place where GW2 gets bashed the most.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, the population seems to have decreased quite a bit on Darkhaven. Pretty much everyone in my last guild switched servers, and while I was trying to get my IRL friends (who’re all on the same server) to jump ship with me the free transfer period ended, so I’m stuck here for a while. A lot of the guilds that were around when I joined last year have disbanded as well.

I think the destruction of LA has a contributed to this empty feeling as well. The Vigil sanctuary is never quite as active as LA was, and I find myself doing most of my ‘business’ in other areas.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s dropping because there are better gaming options there at the moment. Sorry, F2P doesn’t cut it anymore.

The content is super weak and disappears in two weeks time and half of the patches are dedicated to functionality which should’ve been there from the beginning. I’ll pay for a service I value but not when half the game is in the cash shop.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

It’s obvious the game’s population is dropping.

The game is a year old so some player base bleeding is expected. There are also other games out or coming out so the player base will take another hit – some temporary some permanent losses.

But, one of the biggest reasons at the moment you are seeing people leave is the game is almost exactly the same today as a year ago in terms of content.

People are just bored or not happy with a games direction. When players get bored or unhappy they look elsewhere.

Nothing new in the cycle of MMORPGS.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Population falling ?

Posted by: RealBGB.9132

RealBGB.9132

You guys want to talk about population drop, come hangout in Kaineng for awhile. Was one of the earlier servers and now, even the world events and Vigil are dead zones.
I personally noticed this because I played beta and the first month or so of release then had to leave because of life issues. When I came back this last November, It was SCARY how low pop’ed everything was.
Just saying

Its okay to be a little Goofy

Population falling ?

Dark Catalyst.1028

I guess people got bored of the Zerg Zerg Zerg – Grind Grind Grind LS pseudo content that can be experienced in an hour or two on a Saturday morning. The quality is akin to Saturday morning cartoons anyway.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I love how people think something “light” is necessarily for younger people. There’s a whole lot of older people who don’t like dark as well. And those people have plenty of money to spend on gaming.

I’d personally prefer a darker storyline, but ESO was so generic, it wasn’t the darker storyline I was looking for.

How is ESO generic? There are so many quests, far more than GW2, involving multiple storylines that are beyond a children’s storybook and deal with mature content and have much more quality voice-acting – not to say GW2 voice acting is bad but its sparser.

As for the"older people with lots of money" to spend on gaming, imagine the cries of righteous indignation if SAB was to be put behind a paywall.

You must understand that to many new players we’re talking MMORPG vs MMORPG, and they don’t give a crap about GW/TES lore since they’re new to both. Or rather, even if you don’t agree, it doesn’t change their decision making at all.

In such an instance, the king is value-for-money, and because it’s that much more expensive, TESO can’t ever compare with GW2 for that. The people I know here are starting to join GW2, steadily… though my community in itself is slow to join MMORPGs.

Man I am really tired of logging in daily just to craft my mats for ascended daily, or killing Teq daily for months and not see a Sunless weapon, going to COF P1 for the ten thousandth time. Even guild missions become a drag.

Whereas in TESO, new zones and new dungeons are rolled out at the end of month for people who level cap very quickly. This is within the first month of launch. Whatever your criticism of Zenimax, they dont sit on their behind.

LOL just had a good laugh at your comment. Well of course there is more quests in ESO compared to GW2. GW2 does not have quests unless you count personal story and hearts (hearts were added later in the beta just to please people).

There is a difference between TESO and GW2. GW2 the main complaint was it was too hard at launch go ahead and look up at those old forums. TESO main complaint is its too easy. GW2 in the first few months after its release had to nerf a huge amount of things due to complaints. TESO had to add content sooner then intended just to please its population. If you look at it this way you notice GW2 in the longer run is more sustainable since it did not need to release new content so soon just to keep its player base happy. November 2012 GW2 had to release a carrot on a stick for people and we all remember that fail.

With that in mind GW2 had to time gate things to prevent mad rushing of ascended gear. If they didnt put time gates how long do you think people would have full ascended gear? GW2 is designed to be Casual friendly whereas TESO is designed for hardcore big difference in audiences that need to be accounted for when your making comparisons of which your making. GW2 tries to keep hardcore players and casual players within the game by leveling the power and having log function gear progression. TESO has exponential to linear gear progression meaning there is a massive disparity between high lvl armour vs. low lvl armour.

Final Point: TESO combat system sucks since it tries to copy GW2 action combat style of combat with dodges but fails. If you have TESO try to strafe that arrow coming at you. You will literally watch it do an 180 or a 360 and hit you. The game forces you to use up your dodges just to dodge even the most insignificant damage.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The reason some people care so much about which games are failing and which aren’t is because those people care sooo much about playing the most popular game that’s out. They are the ones that jumped on the WoW bandwagon late because it was popular and “cool” to play it. They are the ones that will go out of their way to bash other games and talk up the one they are currently playing so that they can feel as though they are in with the new “cool” crowd, and anyone playing that lol old game, just isn’t popular.

Whatever game they are playing is way better than whatever garbage game you are playing. Nothing you say will convince them. They will throw every cliche, beaten-horse anecdote they can to try and make their point. Nobody even cares what they have to say except for others like them. That way they can bond over something and perpetuate their MMO “coolness”.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Population falling ?

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I see very little motivation to play what I have seen before, multiple times, for monthes and monthes.

Really! Its only been 3 weeks since the LS wrapped up and the feature pack is out on Tuesday. Months and months?

Just to throw it out there, there’s an enormous number of people who absolutely hate the LS. The temp content aside, there’s been nothing new to do in PvE since Southsun. Months and months is an understatement.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Lack of meaningful WvW changes and focus are causing many players to leave the game. I’m sure the PvE players love the grindy living story events, but dedicated WvW players are bailing.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

Population falling ?

Posted by: Arrion.2185

Arrion.2185

I don’t think it’s falling on Devona’s Rest. There were more people than ever on the Queensdale Champion Train yesterday.

Train?

Boar.

Just wait at Boar.

This is what Borlis Pass looks like with the Krytan Champion train.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Kaineng? Oh yes, it’s one of the lower population servers.

Or you can always to guest to Eredon Terrace and basically enjoy soloing everything. That server gives you the ultimate ‘game is dead’ experience. Alternatively, if you want to feel optimistic about player numbers, you can guest to Tarnished Coast.

The true population density of GW2 is pretty much more similar to what Crystal Desert or Borlis Pass experience. There’s enough to run a 5-15 member world boss train, there’s usually 3 small champ trains in EoTM, Queensdale and FGS, and then there’s about 20-30 hanging out talking crap in Lion’s Arch, with 5 crafters or so hanging out in Rata Sum, and about 90 players scattered across all remaining maps, exploring. This is in off hours. Then during NA hours, triple all of these numbers.

Wouldn’t exactly call it dead, wouldn’t exactly call it active either. Megaserver would probably increase density in many of these since it’s a de facto server merge.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Sorry for making the world empty, I took a break waiting for the patch to come. On the bright side I got a platinum trophy in ffx hd and hallway through the sequel.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I’ve noticed Queensdale champ trains have had significant population decreases over the past month or so. My guess: Anet shouldn’t have been so complacent when there was no MMO competition.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Exquisitor.5076

Exquisitor.5076

Spring semester is in full swing. With finals around the corner, it wouldn’t surprise me if most college kids were busy preparing (read: faking it) for finals. :-)

Population falling ?

Nage.1520

It’s dropping because there are better gaming options there at the moment. Sorry, F2P doesn’t cut it anymore.

The content is super weak and disappears in two weeks time and half of the patches are dedicated to functionality which should’ve been there from the beginning. I’ll pay for a service I value but not when half the game is in the cash shop.

It’s not dropping. We ALL know you don’t like this game. We all know you prefer WoW. We all know that a lot of people hate wow. But making up stuff to try to push a game you like is like self fullfilling prophecy.

There’s zero evidence the population is dropping. Zero…evidence.

Do you hear about mass layoffs? Nope. Do you see huge panic going on at NcSoft at stockholder meetings. Nope.

Do you see people coming back to this game every single day on reddit. Yep. So much so that people are complaining about all the returning player posts.

Stop using a personal prejudice to draw a conclusion that may or may not be warranted.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s not dropping. We ALL know you don’t like this game. We all know you prefer WoW. We all know that a lot of people hate wow. But making up stuff to try to push a game you like is like self fullfilling prophecy.

Do you hear about mass layoffs? Nope. Do you see huge panic going on at NcSoft at stockholder meetings. Nope.

Do you see people coming back to this game every single day on reddit. Yep. So much so that people are complaining about all the returning player posts.

Stop using a personal prejudice to draw a conclusion that may or may not be warranted.

Oh look it’s Vayne defending the honor of Guild Wars 2.
You speak of prejudice as if you have none, which we all know is not true. The amount of time you spend defending the game in this forum(and others) is beyond ridiculous. You attack people with semantics when they are just sharing their experiences with the game.
You also keep talking about how the game isn’t declining in population and that everyone else is wrong. About how your server, which just happens to be one of the most populated servers in the game is always full of people. Even some of the truly dying mmos have at least one populated server.

You say everyone else is wrong and the game is not declining in population, where is your evidence of this? Both sides of the party are just basing population on anecdotal evidence and bother parties are just making wild guesses(even you).

Were there mass layoffs and panics before they shut down CoH?

Population falling ?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Oh yes – loads of FedEx quests and not much else. Artificial barriers preventing the player from truly exploring the world of Tamriel (the very essence of EVERY ES game) and some of the most laughable, phoned-in voice acting I’ve heard in years.

There are very very few ‘fedex’ quests and the voice acting is the best in any mmo apart from swtor. The quest storylines are actually in general probably the best written of any mmo I’ve played. Then there’s the PvP which is a far better implementation of RvR than WvW.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Population falling ?

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Wait what? Nage is Vayne, but if he’s Vayne who is Vol, my world is falling apart
Btw this discussion is pointless, we will never know for sure if the population is dropping, how much, why, etc… the only ones who could inform us are devs, but why should they?
Just play until the day GW2 die or you don’t like it anymore, come to the forum for feedback, suggestions and complaints, but for this kind of questions you will probably never get an answer.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Population falling ?

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

There is no reward to playing the game, in my opinion. The only “reward” comes from using real money to buy something in the game store. Other items in the auction hall are just way overpriced and unaffordable. Only vendor trash drops from mobs.

Its not like I have gone to another game either, but I rarely play anymore. I tried Elder Scrolls, but gave up on the beta after spending an hour creating my character, only for my character to not look anything like what I created soon as I entered the game.

Population falling ?

Nage.1520

Oh look it’s Vayne defending the honor of Guild Wars 2.
You speak of prejudice as if you have none, which we all know is not true. The amount of time you spend defending the game in this forum(and others) is beyond ridiculous. You attack people with semantics when they are just sharing their experiences with the game.
You also keep talking about how the game isn’t declining in population and that everyone else is wrong. About how your server, which just happens to be one of the most populated servers in the game is always full of people. Even some of the truly dying mmos have at least one populated server.

You say everyone else is wrong and the game is not declining in population, where is your evidence of this? Both sides of the party are just basing population on anecdotal evidence and bother parties are just making wild guesses(even you).

Were there mass layoffs and panics before they shut down CoH?

People ARE making unsubstantiated claims with no real knowledge. That’s an issue. Do you see me posting that the population is going up?

There’s a big difference between responding to unsubstantiated claims and making claims yourself.

Let’s talk about Tarnished Coast. Lots of people guest there. It makes the server ultra full. Sometimes, even often, I end up on overflows.

But are all those people FROM Tarnished Coast? If they’re guesting that means they’re not on their servers. They’re on my server.

So you can’t tell, even annecdotally the population on low pop servers, because guesting exists. You’ve pretty much proved my point.

Instead of bashing me, you should be questioning people who make definitive statements they can’t back up. This isn’t about semantics. With guesting it’s actually 100% impossible to know if the population is growing or not growing.

But everything I’ve said is true. When SWToR didn’t do as well as expected, there were major layoffs and every knew about it. When TSW didn’t do as well as expected, there were major layoffs and everyone new about it. No one is saying there are major layoffs in Guild Wars 2, but Anet is advertising for more staff.

This doesn’t sound to me like a game that’s not doing well. Maybe, just maybe, I have a point. It’s just hard for you to admit it, because frankly, you’re against who I am, not what I’m saying.

What I’m saying is actually factual.

Population falling ?

Nage.1520

Wait what? Nage is Vayne, but if he’s Vayne who is Vol, my world is falling apart
Btw this discussion is pointless, we will never know for sure if the population is dropping, how much, why, etc… the only ones who could inform us are devs, but why should they?
Just play until the day GW2 die or you don’t like it anymore, come to the forum for feedback, suggestions and complaints, but for this kind of questions you will probably never get an answer.

I’ve given up telling people I’m not Vayne, they can believe what they want. He doesn’t particularly like me anyway, which is why I find this so amusing.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Spring semester is in full swing. With finals around the corner, it wouldn’t surprise me if most college kids were busy preparing (read: faking it) for finals. :-)

Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.

With 5 new traits per class and 8 classes, it’s gonna take some time to see if any of the builds need reworking…

Population falling ?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’ve given up telling people I’m not Vayne, they can believe what they want. He doesn’t particularly like me anyway, which is why I find this so amusing.

I don’t know you. You seem like a fine guy to me. I actually admire the passion you have for this game. I feel the same way for other hobbies in my life. None of this is about you personally. I just don’t agree with how you defend the game on nearly every front. You seem to have an excuse for almost every short coming included in this game.

There was actually plenty of times I thought about messaging you in game because I know you’re a good guy and could have possibly made my game experience much better, as I was playing by myself in a guild by myself. I tried guilds, but was unable to find one mature enough to suit me. I really want it to be known that I actually think very highly of you.
It just seems like you are on call 24/7 to defend ArenaNet at the slightest hint of negativity.
Ps
you made a post on reddit about how you quit the forums right when you made the post here as vayne. Your name on reddit was the same as this one.

Population falling ?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Hmm, I wonder what’s the primary motivation for people from low population servers guesting out to a higher population server? I wonder if it’s because their server is…thriving, lol

Population falling ?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I don’t know you. You seem like a fine guy to me. I actually admire the passion you have for this game. I feel the same way for other hobbies in my life. None of this is about you personally. I just don’t agree with how you defend the game on nearly every front. You seem to have an excuse for almost every short coming included in this game.

There was actually plenty of times I thought about messaging you in game because I know you’re a good guy and could have possibly made my game experience much better, as I was playing by myself in a guild by myself. I tried guilds, but was unable to find one mature enough to suit me. I really want it to be known that I actually think very highly of you.
It just seems like you are on call 24/7 to defend ArenaNet at the slightest hint of negativity.
Ps
you made a post on reddit about how you quit the forums right when you made the post here as vayne. Your name on reddit was the same as this one.

You don’t take into consideration that GW2 forums have some of the most offensive people in the community, bashing everyone from the game, to the company to the players playing the game.

As a forum made for complaints, this is where GW2 gets bashed and this is where some players who have time try to prove the opposite.

While I respect your opinion, you can’t bash him for defending if you will ignore the others who bash because the ones who bash are filling this forum and they are btw the same people, both here and on reddit and their names are quite popular for being anti-GW2.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It takes several months for an account to get flagged inactive (they disappear from leaderboards then). One single login is enough to move them to full active status. Server status is based on number of active accounts, not number of people playing.

No, somehow i don’t think spring semester is to blame. And while i do think the game is slowly hemorrhaging players, i do not believe in sudden coordinated exodus either.

So, TL/DR: Yes, game is slowly losing players. No, the mentioned by OP server population status change is not due to that, but is a result of Anet messing with server caps.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Population falling ?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

okay, let me take a stance that will probably get me those “fanboi” remarks from the cool bashing kids (even though my forum profile will rather reveal a kind of love/hate relationship for the game). In this thread, I can identify quite a few names that profess their hatred for everything GW2 does, is, does not do in like every single thread in the forum. What is that strange attraction that keeps you here in the forum or even game? There are really good games on the market, why not concentrate your energy there? Doesn´t that “I want to see Rome burn”-thing get old at some point?

Population falling ?

Nage.1520

Ps

If you look closely though the reddit name Vayne uses is similar to mine, they have completely different sources. However since it kittenes him off that people think we’re the same person, it’s all cool with me. lol

If I were defending arena net all the time, I’d post in every single negative thread. There are tons of negative threads I don’t post in however. I’ve never once said there’s enough build variety for instance. I’ve never once said that RNG cash shop boxes are a great thing and I’ve always been against the precursor system as it exists now. That doesn’t mean I have to lie down and die when someone says something completely arbitrary with nothing to back it up but an observation that can be easily explained by other things.

It’s interesting that you took the time to post something to me about how I defend the game in every thread (demonstrably untrue), where as you haven’t taken the time to take on the people who bash the game in every thread they post in.

That’s an interesting double standard.

There are facts here, on topic in this thread. Fact. No one knows how the population is doing except Anet. That is a fact. People have made sweeping statements as if they know something, but they can’t know, because guesting makes it impossible to know numbers. Overflows make it impossible.

I’m speaking out in a thread where people are making statements that can’t be substantiated. It’s a reaction to possible misinformation.

This game is far far from perfect, but population, at this point anyway, doesn’t really seem to be one of it’s problems. And because of guesting even if it were, no one could say otherwise.

Population falling ?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

My money’s on the fact there nice weather. I’m mainly on before I got to work

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Population falling ?

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

It’s so sad to see all the ignorants who post without reading even first page. It’s been stated multiple times that server caps have been raised and argumented by sale, sudden change of status, and status depending on account bound to server, not their activity.
It’s end of this topic. ESO (which I bought and am already bored) and RL have nothing to do with it.

Population falling ?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

It’s so sad to see all the ignorants who post without reading even first page. It’s been stated multiple times that server caps have been raised and argumented by sale, sudden change of status, and status depending on account bound to server, not their activity.
It’s end of this topic. ESO (which I bought and am already bored) and RL have nothing to do with it.

bah, “Game not being like that other game” smash puny common sense!

Population falling ?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

It’s because of wvw tournament. Guilds are mass-transferring to other servers.

Not really, i ’ve seen some guilds with 100 to 300 members and just 10-30max play the game.
High population means the value of accounts registered on that server, it can be the most ghost town but still as high population.

bah, “Game not being like that other game” smash puny common sense!

GW2 is quite the oposite of that, its the same of the other games pretending its defirent by call stuff other names, and thats the game problem way to much placebos instead of be adaptive and add more mechanics with LS system.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Population falling ?

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

Population is probably smaller because spring break is almost over everywhere. And also the fact the game is getting stale. Almost 2 years has past and still no new expansion. LS was alright but honestly I don’t want a second year of LS exploring the same tired old maps. Anet should drop a new expansion every year/ year and half to coincide with each elder dragon. The populous wants new maps, enemies, weps, armor and so on. They also need more diversity in skills. Every1 with a great sword has the same skill set, which is lame. they should try and at least triple that number if not more. I still enjoy the game very much but do find myself bored at times.

Population falling ?

Dark Catalyst.1028

Mega servers say hi. Also the fact that you have to guest to one or two full servers in order to get anything done. All Borlis Pass was capable of doing was the Queensdale champ train.

Population falling ?

Posted by: MAUS HOUS.8047

MAUS HOUS.8047

Lets not forget ESO that just launched. It’s art style will be more appealing to some

Ah yes, ESO’s AMAZING art style of generic western fantasy is the main reason people are drawn to play ESO. Jesus, how did you even think of that stupid reason?

Holla. At. Me.

(edited by MAUS HOUS.8047)