Population's achievement points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Anyone remember this?
https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/achievements

I’ve been trying to find stats on what range of AP the percentage of players have, but have had no luck.

But to my surprise, here’s my findings (note, I’m only looking at NA):
The highest AP on the board is 16369 AP
The 1000th rank person has 11254 AP
The lowest AP on the board was 3736

Note that the percentile and rank are separate for NA and EU, but I only looked at NA.
Also, from what I gather, the percentiles are in tens (ie. 90, 80, etc) so not finely precise.

Even more shocking is that 3736 is still in the 90% percentile, ie. the player with 3736 AP has more AP than 90% of all NA account!
Unfortunately, the board doesn’t go any further, so I’d need people with much smaller AP to find out the other percentiles of the smaller AP.

So what does this all mean?
Some posters claim AP is easy to gain “just by playing the game”, so if this is true, then there must be a lot of inactive accounts (game's dying, bro) or lots of new players shifting this percentile up.
If it isn’t as easy players claim to be, then there’s a lot of very, very casual players (hello “easy” exotic gear!)
Of course, the reality may be in between the two.
The other things to consider are PvP/WvW exclusive players, though I think they’re a small percentage of players (I’m unsure how much they’d affect the percentile). It is also likely there’s some inactive accounts on the leaderboard since there probably were quite a few traditional MMO players who probably grinded then left.

So what are people thoughts on where the majority of active players’ AP lie?
Honestly, I’m thinking around 2000-3000 AP.
As a side note, I also don’t think the majority of players are decked out in full exotics (then again, that seemed obvious during the Tequatl event, anyway).

EDIT: Thanks to Astralporing.1957 and Saulius.8430 for the following information.

The EU results, with the help of guild lists i have access to.
Highest AP is 16285
1000th person is 12184

the border ranges between pecents seem to be around:
lowest 90%: about 3900
lowest 80: about 2250
lowest 70: about 1500
lowest 60: about 1100
lowest 50: about 800
lowest 40: about 580
lowest 30: about 350-380 (not much data there)
lowest 20: about 200

(those are rounded estimates, but should be pretty close to the actual values)

NA (lookin at 500member guild)

lowest 90%: about 3475
lowest 80: about 2057
lowest 70: about 1426
lowest 60: about 1029
lowest 50: about 772
lowest 40: about 609
lowest 30: about 414
lowest 20: about 217
lowest 10: about 79
highest 0: about 62

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

i know people who play since launch and have ~2000 ap, and still talk to me and go to dungeon with me once in a while (like once in a month or two )

also most of the friends who play daily from launch have 5000-9000 ap (i’m @ 8k as i’ve ignored some living content that i didn’t like)

when puging dungeons i see a lot lively promising guys with 500-2000 ap

so yeah those 90% are new players, then those who play rarely, then inactives and ofc “free weekend accounts”

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Anyone remember this?

I’ve been trying to find stats on what range of AP the percentage of players have, but have had no luck.

Note that the percentile and rank are separate for NA and EU, but I only looked at NA.
Also, from what I gather, the percentiles are in tens (ie. 90, 80, etc) so not finely precise.

Even more shocking is that 3736 is still in the 90% percentile, ie. the player with 3736 AP has more AP than 90% of all NA account!
Unfortunately, the board doesn’t go any further, so I’d need people with much smaller AP to find out the other percentiles of the smaller AP.

Highest AP is 16285
1000th person is 12184

And the disproportion between AP’s is staggering depending on how someone plays. Most of the people that were with me from the start (or joined at the first free trial) have over 5k now, but i know at least one person that was here from the beginning, is still playing, and is still below 2.5k AP. I also know someone that has similar amount, but started last month. Mind you, it puts both of them in the top 20% of the EU population, which would make 80% of the population either very new (which we know is not true, about 80% of the sales so far were made in the initial 3 months, according to official info), or most of the players abandon the game very fast, and only a small number keep playing longer. Or there’s a really massive number of casuals (and the estimations of most people here of what “casual” means are way up compared to reality).

By the way, truly inactive people do not show on leaderboards at all. I have at least one player at above 2k ap in guild roster that is NOT on guild list leaderboard. Wonder if he is ignored or not when calculating % values.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

BlueZone.4236

Anyone remember this?

Highest AP is 16285
1000th person is 12184

And the disproportion between AP’s is staggering depending on how someone plays. Most of the people that were with me from the start (or joined at the first free trial) have over 5k now, but i know at least one person that was here from the beginning, is still playing, and is still below 2.5k AP. I also know someone that has similar amount, but started last month. Mind you, it puts both of them in the top 20% of the EU population, which would make 80% of the population either very new (which we know is not true, about 80% of the sales so far were made in the initial 3 months, according to official info), or most of the players abandon the game very fast, and only a small number keep playing longer. Or there’s a really massive number of casuals (and the estimations of most people here of what “casual” means are way up compared to reality).

By the way, truly inactive people do not show on leaderboards at all. I have at least one player at above 2k ap in guild roster that is NOT on guild list leaderboard. Wonder if he is ignored or not when calculating % values.

Thanks for the EU list!
Very interesting observation on your inactive guild mate. That makes the percentiles quite surprising if the percentile excludes inactive players, which really might mean player’s perception on how casual players are are very skewed (heck, even I think I was underestimating on my guess).
I’m very curious about the NA numbers now.

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Buffalo Sabres.1072

Buffalo Sabres.1072

I quit for like 4-5 months without logging in , barely did dailies , half or less of the monthlies , skipped 60% in-game releases for AP and still have like 22 JPs , tons of slayer , ect left

Over 5k AP , i dont see how it is that hard to get AP

BlueZone.4236

Thank you for this. It seems quite similar to the EU list.

I quit for like 4-5 months without logging in , barely did dailies , half or less of the monthlies , skipped 60% in-game releases for AP and still have like 22 JPs , tons of slayer , ect left

Over 5k AP , i dont see how it is that hard to get AP

Most players who say such and such are easy tend to forget a lot of things they’ve done.
For example, there have been a few players on this forum who have forgotten how much grinding (or farming, or playing the game, whatever they claim) they’ve done in this game, claiming how easy things are, but their old posts puts things into perspective.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I just broke through 5,000 AP last week and it took me 10 months to get there. On JQ that puts me in the 90% bracket.

I rarely if ever actively go after AP. The exception was when I was 3 points away from 5,000 and I needed only 7 more harpies for 5 AP. While I do dailies and have gotten a few monthlies in that time and I salvage A LOT I’m still rather far away on a lot of APs. I get them when I get them. No rush.

Here’s the problem with using APs as a measurement of population, it’s not it’s a measurement of a player’s activity in the game. So not as many players are actively pursuing APs. They aren’t going for all the Slayer badges or buying all the Cultural armors or doing every living story event APs. But if you yourself are an AP junkie, then you can con yourself to believe every other player is as well. That everyone plays like you and you can’t imagine that a lot of players may not play like you. Same can be said with doing dungeons or crafting or fractals. Fractal players can’t imagine players spending their laurels on mini pets of box or armor or a bag of mats. Those who speed to level 80 can’t imagine players who level simply by playing at a natural pace.

So what if only the top 1000 players end around 11,260 APs? So some players make getting APs their goal. There are probably significantly more players like me where APs are incidental, letting them happen when they happen. And I play a lot to get 500 APs a month. A true “casual” player likely earn APs at an even slower pace.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

BlueZone.4236

I just broke through 5,000 AP last week and it took me 10 months to get there. On JQ that puts me in the 90% bracket.

EDIT: you changed your post. Abort reply, abort reply.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The top 50% mark is so low, that you would think, most people do not play the game…
Top 80% around 2000 points? Looks a bit like the game has only 20% active players… ^^

I am still in the 90% even though I mostly stopped caring for achievement points. Even if you play casually on a regular base, you should be in the top 20%…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The top 50% mark is so low, that you would think, most people do not play the game…
Top 80% around 2000 points? Looks a bit like the game has only 20% active players… ^^

I am still in the 90% even though I mostly stopped caring for achievement points. Even if you play casually on a regular base, you should be in the top 20%…

Technically, some of those low AP accounts can be pure WvW/sPvP players, that do not PvE at all. That way they can be very active with AP leaderboard not representing this.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

BlueZone.4236

Here’s the problem with using APs as a measurement of population, it’s not it’s a measurement of a player’s activity in the game. So not as many players are actively pursuing APs. They aren’t going for all the Slayer badges or buying all the Cultural armors or doing every living story event APs. But if you yourself are an AP junkie, then you can con yourself to believe every other player is as well. That everyone plays like you and you can’t imagine that a lot of players may not play like you. Same can be said with doing dungeons or crafting or fractals. Fractal players can’t imagine players spending their laurels on mini pets of box or armor or a bag of mats. Those who speed to level 80 can’t imagine players who level simply by playing at a natural pace.

So what if only the top 1000 players end around 11,260 APs? So some players make getting APs their goal. There are probably significantly more players like me where APs are incidental, letting them happen when they happen. And I play a lot to get 500 APs a month. A true “casual” player likely earn APs at an even slower pace.

All I’m saying is that it’s surprising that the 90% percentile ranges from 3500 AP and beyond, and if you looked at the leaderboard, there’s actually 51,000 players displayable on the board (1000 per server), and it is spread out fairly evenly around 4000AP – 9000AP (maybe higher, haven’t studied the board too intensely).

And yes, I’m aware how interpreting AP isn’t perfect, though these are most likely ANet’s dedicated PvE players, so depending on how you want to look at it, either that’s a small number or a large number (out of 3.5+ million players), or in between.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Here are a few more numbers from NA just because.

90% 5627
90% 5259
80% 3242
80% 2048 (side note: This player has 3 level 80’s)
70% 1784
70% 1604
60% 1310
20% 244

BlueZone.4236

Here are a few more numbers from NA just because.

90% 5627
90% 5259
80% 3242
80% 2048 (side note: This player has 3 level 80’s)
70% 1784
70% 1604
60% 1310
20% 244

Thanks for your list! This is consistent with Saulius.8430’s list so there’s no funny business going on.

I’ve updated my first post to include the list provided by Astralporing.1957 and Saulius.8430 for convenience.