Possibility of an actual roleplaying server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaldy.6285

Jaldy.6285

Greetings,

I hail from Tarnished Coast, and I’d like to ask for some input about adding an official roleplaying server.

First off: I don’t mind roleplayers at all. In fact, my wife loves to roleplay, but Tarnished Coast being the “unofficial roleplaying server” puts us at a severe disadvantage of competing in the world vs. world ladder.

I originally started out on Eredon Terrace, but wanted to be able to play in large-scale WvW battles. On ET, that wasn’t possible because our server suffered some major exoduses of top-notch guilds (Fury of Order, and a few others). Tarnished Coast has come a long way and we have eventually made it into Tier 2, something I didn’t think would ever happen…

It was very clear very quickly that we were outnumbered in our tier, and likely don’t belong in Tier 2 at the moment. The presence that Blackgate and Sanctum of Rall have is amazing compared to us…Complete 24/7 coverage, or overnight coverage which we don’t have.

Now I’m not saying that the roleplayers ruin this aspect, per se…but with a constant flow of roleplayers wanting to fill our ranks, our server rarely stays vacant but for a few moments.

I know this sounds selfish, but I’d really like to keep climbing that ladder. It feels good.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I’m sure the EIGHTEEN servers ranked below Tarnished Coast would love having the “severe disadvantage” of your server’s population.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Jaldy.6285

Hop on over to Tarnished Coast for a week and drop by Divinity’s Reach and other major cities. You’ll see what I mean by hundreds of people not competing.

It sure would be nice to free up a thousand slots to allow players of all timezones to help us.

GrandmaFunk.3052

On other servers those hundreds of players not participating in WvW are just scattered in other areas of the game, doing dungeons/fractals and the like.

Your active WvW population still dwarfs that of most other servers.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

Wait, so people are not playing the way you want them to play so you want them to leave?

Jaldy.6285

You sound severely concerned about the other 18 servers. Why don’t you go campaign for them?

Jaldy.6285

Rustypipes,

If there were an official server for the roleplayers to romp in, it would also solve some issues with the non-RPers and those that do. There’s some serious bad blood on Tarnished Coast. It would be better for everyone.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Rustypipes,

If there were an official server for the roleplayers to romp in, it would also solve some issues with the non-RPers and those that do. There’s some serious bad blood on Tarnished Coast. It would be better for everyone.

I’ve been on TC for a long time now and have seen a lot of RPing. I haven’t, however, seen anything I would describe as “serious bad blood.”

RPing isn’t something I participate in, but I wouldn’t want to see all the RPers sent to their own server. I’m left to wonder why this wasn’t a concern when TC was doing so well in Tier 3.

GrandmaFunk.3052

If an “official” RP server were created, would they be blocked from WvW or treated like any other server?

In the second case, how is that any difference from what TC currently is?

Either way this seems like a case of you wanting to be on one of the top 5 servers, but for some reason rather than just transferring yourself you want your current server to change how it plays.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Jaldy.6285

We didn’t need constant coverage in tier 3, because we were mostly like tier 3.

Have you logged in early in the morning and seen Blackgate holding 9/10 of the WvW BGs? 620 points versus everyone else’s 30? We need that kind of presence to compete, but can’t because the server is full of non-competetors.

Spend more time on TC and less time in the overflow to see the bad blood. People are getting roleplayers banned for inappropriate conduct, even though they’re just roleplaying: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Tarnished-Coast-vigilanties/first

Also read the WvW threads of the past and see how much the server complains about the roleplayers. Though there are some roleplayers that play in WvW (talk like pirates, arrrrr).

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Hop on over to Tarnished Coast for a week and drop by Divinity’s Reach and other major cities. You’ll see what I mean by hundreds of people not competing.

It sure would be nice to free up a thousand slots to allow players of all timezones to help us.

Maybe all those people don’t like WvW? Lots of people really don’t care about it. Who are you to tell them how to play a game they paid for on the server of their choice?

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Have you logged in early in the morning and seen Blackgate holding 9/10 of the WvW BGs? 620 points versus everyone else’s 30?

Maybe Blackgate is just better than TC? We can’t win them all.

We need that kind of presence to compete, but can’t because the server is full of non-competetors.

TC is “full of non-competetors?” Full of them? Wow.

Posted by: Vacus.7069

Vacus.7069

If you don’t like the server, then leave.

I mean, I’m being rude, but it’s a fact. It’s a lot easier to change your location than it is to change the attitude of hundreds or thousands of other players.

I’m on TC, I don’t RP, and I have no complaints about the server at all. I WvW when I feel like it. I have no intentions of altering my playstyle or play times to get us more round-the-clock WvW coverage, and I think I’m pretty normal in that regard.

GrandmaFunk.3052

Yeah, because plopping myself into one of the top servers and then staying there surely is a lot more fun than actually working on getting there with effort.

How is that so different from when you switched from Eredon to TC in the first place?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

TC is awesome for its roleplayers, makes Tyria feel like Tyria.

Roleplaying and WvW play aren’t mutually exclusive any more than people doing fractals, open world PVE, or any other non wuvwuv activity.

Stop trying to spoil everyone’s fun because you feel like “roleplayers” are detrimental to WvW performance. Like someone said above me, we’re in T2, and we got there because of our playerbase. Don’t like it? Transfer.

Long live roleplaying in all game activites, from a tabletop RPG veteran.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

The argument can also be made on the other side. Those who don’t want to have anything to do with RPers can transfer off of TC so that more RPers can get on to TC. This would make things easier too.

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Yes. A server “full of pesky Roleplayers” just happens to be in North America Tier 2.

There is zero correlation between people who like to role-play and their skill at PvP. Zero.

Jaldy.6285

Yeah, because plopping myself into one of the top servers and then staying there surely is a lot more fun than actually working on getting there with effort.

How is that so different from when you switched from Eredon to TC in the first place?

When I got here, we were in tier 5. We’ve come a long way.

Jaldy.6285

Aside from the selfish aspect of my post, an official roleplaying server would still be nice.

You all put up some excellent points. I didn’t really consider what people like to do and what people don’t like to do. I guess I’d just like to grow up to be just like the big guys, without just transferring to be one.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Aside from the selfish aspect of my post, an official roleplaying server would still be nice.

Agreed.

All for Tarnished Coast as the Official Roleplaying Server?

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Jaldy.6285

:lol:

That’s mean.

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

Agreed.

YES!

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I like TC and I’m not a RPer. Tomaaaato/Tamahhhto
A server by any other name……

Posted by: Jimmy Decay.4207

Jimmy Decay.4207

Correlation does not equal causation.

Just because TC is the unofficial RP server does not mean that RP’ers are the reason for the performance of the server in WvW.

Posted by: CantonMudFarms.7638

CantonMudFarms.7638

I quit playing for the most part because of the lack of roleplay server, and how the account names are visible to all. It seems goofy to me they would not have given a single RP server designation or the ability to toggle account names.

I have never RP’d in GW2 and have not seen it and have been on the Toast since launch. I re-subbed to another game just to get that type of engagement. A ‘safe space’ for RP in a mmoRPG? Too much to expect I guess.

The lack of effort stuck us with a sword and board ‘shooter’ population… Players with names like ‘Runnypoopoo’ are not people I want to play with.

Raf.1078

Agreed.

Second… (even though I have’t RP’d in several years.)

We always roll on RP servers for the maturity and sense of community RP’ers bring to a server. TC would be a much more mundane place without them. Even to this day…I still give my characters real names.

Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Raf.1078

I quit playing for the most part because of the lack of roleplay server, and how the account names are visible to all. It seems goofy to me they would not have given a single RP server designation or the ability to toggle account names.

I have never RP’d in GW2 and have not seen it and have been on the Toast since launch. I re-subbed to another game just to get that type of engagement. A ‘safe space’ for RP in a mmoRPG? Too much to expect I guess.

The lack of effort stuck us with a sword and board ‘shooter’ population… Players with names like ‘Runnypoopoo’ are not people I want to play with.

Really? I run across RP groups all the time in the human areas of TC. Watched an RP wedding in DR over the holidays. They did a great job. Didn’t know any of them..just a passerby stopping to watch. Was pretty cool.

I see them in Kessex Hills all the time too.

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

How about they make an official fractals server so all those pesky people who are just doing fractals will stop hindering TCs WvW effectiveness? Or sPvP, or farmers, or people leveling alts, they all need their own servers too, right?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Honestly if they were going to make an official RP server they’d most likely do it by changing TC into one and asking everyone else to move out, considering it’s been the unofficial RP server since before launch. Possibly since the server names were first published.

But I doubt you’ll ever find a server where everyone is focused on WvW, or even the majority. I’m on Desolation which is apparently one of the top tier EU servers and according to posts on my guilds Facebook page we regularly take over large areas of the map. But there are many people (myself included) who have never even done WvW and there are always plenty of people in the main world.

But the thing is you don’t need it either, because you’re not competing against servers where everyone is dedicated to WvW, you’re competing against servers like yours where people do a mix of everything. As far as I can tell without first hand experience all you really need to do well at WvW is a few dedicated guilds.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

Role play in these game? I really assume people really dont know what is real roleplay and what you need to have a rpg game.

Heres you only have classes nothing more.
Anyway i will dont teach people how to role in a game that is not maked for RPG model, also you need a pk style to learn how to role in a game.

As always i do if you never played Ultima Online you dont know what is a MMORPG. of these style.For a good game you need good mechanics not only graphics.

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Desolation is the unoffical English server. Maybe we should demand all other nationalities to leave.

OP seriously. If you want to do competative W3 then YOU and your ilk move servers to one more suitable. The RPers on that server shouldnt be forced out because of people like you.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

OP, do you realize how little it would change your situation?

Let’s analyze this.

You want to be on a T1 server, but your wife wants to be on a roleplaying server.

You think that a roleplaying server cannot be in T1.

I assume that you and your wife want to play on the same server, otherwise you could just switch to a T1 server.

In the hypothetical scenario that there’s a dedicated official RP server, your wife goes there. According to you, this server will not be T1, so you wouldn’t want to join her there.

Remember, you can switch to a T1 server if either you are willing to play on a different server from your wife, or if your wife is willing to switch with you and not RP anymore.

So how would your situation be any different?

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

Piken is Unofficial EU server…

Don’t be spreading misinformation now…

Posted by: Hilda Raven.8641

Hilda Raven.8641

I’ve been on TC forever, since the game first started, even beta specifically because it is an RP server unofficially. Most people are aware of it. I mean I don’t see why you don’t just move to another server if you prefer WvWvW more.

Posted by: Vail.1065

Vail.1065

I don’t see how roleplayers effect anything at all.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

You’ve never seen RP on TC? I can’t even do normal heart quests without running across RP. I think you are flat out lying. If I go into DR, Ebonhawke, even the other lesser-visited cities gets quite a bit of tavern RP.

Jaldy.6285

OP, do you realize how little it would change your situation?

Let’s analyze this.

You want to be on a T1 server, but your wife wants to be on a roleplaying server.

You think that a roleplaying server cannot be in T1.

I assume that you and your wife want to play on the same server, otherwise you could just switch to a T1 server.

In the hypothetical scenario that there’s a dedicated official RP server, your wife goes there. According to you, this server will not be T1, so you wouldn’t want to join her there.

Remember, you can switch to a T1 server if either you are willing to play on a different server from your wife, or if your wife is willing to switch with you and not RP anymore.

So how would your situation be any different?

My wife doesn’t roleplay in Guild Wars.

Also, I can see by the replies in this thread that I seem to be the only person that would rather work and feel good about grabbing a tier 1 slot, instead of just becoming one by transferring.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Also, I can see by the replies in this thread that I seem to be the only person that would rather work and feel good about grabbing a tier 1 slot, instead of just becoming one by transferring.

I’m glad to see someone have the motivation to do something to help his own server. Keep on working, we’ll support you, in our hearts. Meanwhile, we’ll be transferring to the dominating servers for poi in Borderlands.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Role play in these game? I really assume people really dont know what is real roleplay and what you need to have a rpg game.

Heres you only have classes nothing more.
Anyway i will dont teach people how to role in a game that is not maked for RPG model, also you need a pk style to learn how to role in a game.

As always i do if you never played Ultima Online you dont know what is a MMORPG. of these style.For a good game you need good mechanics not only graphics.

What you need for RP:

• 2 or more people
  • active imaginations

That’s it. Any extras, such as being able to show the character you’ve created, and a very nice world setting to play in, are nice but not needed. While GW2’s chat system is a bit RP-unfriendly, the world setting is very interesting and the characters you can make here are great. There’s RP here, and it ranges from the awful to the epic.

As to the OP: You’re going to have at least a few stray RPers on every server, because they find playing with a friend on that server more important than playing on the RP server. It doesn’t matter if said RP server is official or not. Also, you should never underestimate the obsessive power of a bunch of kitten off RPers, even in PvP.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Oh, sorry, I forgot that the whole server is supposed to be doing WvW all the time. It’s not like there’s dungeons and sPvP, or world PvE. In all reality though, I’m not sure you’d want all the people who don’t like WvW to get into it. We’d probably plummet down the ranks. I’ve been in and out of borderlands myself to get completion, jumping puzzles and the like, and I am BAD at PvP.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

(edited by Golgathoth.3967)

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I’m not sure I see the point, honestly.

Who’s going to monitor and regulate the RPing to make sure people RP? WoW and SWTOR sure as hell don’t.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I see some TCers RP at WvW as well :P

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Jinx.7945

Jinx.7945

My wife doesn’t roleplay in Guild Wars.

You could always jump to another Tier 2 server since the others aren’t the unofficial RP server. That way, you can still feel good about working up to Tier 1. Or move to one at a lower tier if you want a greater sense of accomplishment. There’s no reason to move directly to a Tier 1 server if that’s not what you want to do.

I think part of the reaction you’re getting is that you want others to move off of the server because you see them as “holding you back” or impacting what you think is fun. Just move yourself. Your request comes across as asking a whole community of folks to move because you want something different than they do. They’re happy (or at least happy enough) with the server they’re on. If you’re not happy with it, move to one you’re more happy with.

Jaldy.6285

Oh, I’m happy. Just thought maybe it would be a move in the right direction.

Guess not.

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

I know this sounds selfish, but I’d really like to keep climbing that ladder. It feels good.

I have no clue why you want to WvW in “tier 1”. It’s not some fabled battleground with battle hardened veterans of WvW. If you want to experience it, then move to a T1 server. YOU are not climbing the ladder. There is no ladder. Glicko-2 ranking system isn’t applicable to the WvW premise and is wrongfully used for it.

Your post reeks of desperate panic, the exact same attitude that is the cause and a consequence of poor morale. If you want your server to get better, get more Oceanic population. BG simply has much superior coverage and SoR is mostly Oceanic. Trying to make up some silly excuse to justify your dead last position in “tier 2” is… sad.

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

I have no clue why you want to WvW in “tier 1”. It’s not some fabled battleground with battle hardened veterans of WvW. If you want to experience it, then move to a T1 server. YOU are not climbing the ladder. There is no ladder. Glicko-2 ranking system isn’t applicable to the WvW premise and is wrongfully used for it.

Your post reeks of desperate panic, the exact same attitude that is the cause and a consequence of poor morale. If you want your server to get better, get more Oceanic population. BG simply has much superior coverage and SoR is mostly Oceanic. Trying to make up some silly excuse to justify your dead last position in “tier 2” is… sad.

Well, not that I fully agree on the OP’s stance, but you see where he is going with this. We know exactly where our coverage gap lies, but the server is always full. We can’t just “get more”.

That said, TC being the “RP server” is exactly what makes it special. I don’t RP, but I love running into RP or just watching it if I happen to walk by. People tend to be more laid back in general and morale is generally good, even when we are being hammered in WvW. TC has a massive population – it’s just that most of them don’t WvW, but I see it as untapped potential for the future So no, I don’t think kicking the RPers out is a good solution.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Um, most of us RPers on TC participate in PvE and PvP, and that’s part of why we usually win so consistently. And most RPers and non-RPers get along fine; I hear that a lot of non-roleplayers WANT to move to our server because of a) our WvW rank and b) the community that RP servers have.

At worst, designate TC the official server, as it’s been the unofficial NA server this whole time, with several thousand folks just from 2RP alone.

The issue is that we don’t have a huge oceanic pop, which some other servers I think have been unofficially made as theirs.

However, we usually win our matchups. Anyway, the main reason our server is so strong is because roleplayers flooded into it, and we participate in everything (there is even a WvW cross-guild alliance that, last I counted, was over 1000 members strong). WE are not the problem. (You’d probably get more turnout if you got people out of fractals and back into WvW anyway.)

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Playing against TC for awhile, I’ve seen this excuse for WvW performance brought up many times in the forums and I still don’t understand it. They state that their server is the unofficial role-playing server and that therefore they don’t have many people in WvW (the assumption required would be that people who role-play do not WvW). Yet they also state that their server is so ensconced in role-playing that they have large groups of players and even Commanders role-play in WvW (example is the pirate people who WvW all the time that they like to talk about). But of course this example contradicts the assumption required to validate their first statement. Anyone care to explain?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I don’t roleplay but I can see your point.
I personally don’t believe the server system is a good thing, it’s an obsolete system with many flaws – but I could see a district for roleplayers one day.
Maybe even a FFA district for those who want to gank lowbies (but my guess is that no lowbies would enter and gankers would kill each other then quit due to no easy kills).

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

We don’t have large groups RPing in WvW. They do exist (and are always hilarious), but it’s not common and definitely not the norm.

I believe what OP is trying to get at is that because we have a disproportionately large number of RPers (who we assume for now are mainly not interested in WvW), we therefore have some sort of disadvantage against similarly populated servers (i.e tier 2 and up) that have bigger numbers of dedicated and organized WvWers.

This isn’t completely wrong (even in tier 3, I think any of the servers who’ve played us can notice that TC is far less “big guild groups” and far more “20 different guild tags militia”). But as many people have said, our large RP population doesn’t exclude us from also having a large WvW population. I’ve seen many RP-centric guilds do their part in WvW, and I’m sure many PvE-ers who hop by to contribute as well. Our massive population is part of what carried us through tier 3 and into tier 2, and many of them are the so-called “RPers” and “non-WvWers”. In time, more and more might well come to enjoy the game mode and grow our pool of WvWers. This is basically how TC has advanced all the way to tier 2 – organically, and never as a bandwagon destination. It’s why TC is great to be on, and if at our current state we can’t compete with SoR and BG (both excellent WvW servers), then so be it.