Potential Mastery Options for PoF and beyond

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Barnabus Stinson.1409

Barnabus Stinson.1409

I beleive this is the correct place for this, but if not I do appologise.

While looking through the release information for PoF I noted that there seems to only be mount based masteries. While I agree with the idea of removing the less impactful masteries that HoT had I still see room for more than just the mounts. Below is a quick look into a set of tracks I think would have a good place in the game in future, and would have fit incredibly well into PoF.

In PoF there seem to be 3 main factions of foes: Balthazars Forged Legions, The Branded and the Undead.

I would propose a fairly short mastery track for each of these groups. With the main stages of these Masteries being the ability to gather more from your foes. The first tier being a chance to get a consumable item, which gives a specific short term buff relating the to creature it came from. The next would allow for the chance to find weapon parts that can later being made after collecting enough into a weapon skin designed like the foe the parts came from. The third would then be armour scraps, similiar to weapon parts but for armour. Then finally a very rare chance to get a tonic or infusion in the style of this specific faction.

I see this having value as it doesnt gate content behind masteries but means those who wish can work to get specific skins by fighting these groups regularly. Each of these factions have a very unique look and would make a fantastic skin option. I know I would love to get a branded style sword etc.

Plus the system doesnt stop there with each future expansion there could be a new faction or group we could work towards. But no player would have to work towards to experience all the content, it would be entirely option and provide those who want to make sure they get every mastery point and want to farm this certain faction can.

Again I hope this is the right place for this suggestion, I am aware it is a little to late for a PoF release but I do think it would have value in GW2. Please give thoughts below.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Uh…. no…. Mastery tracks are a gating system, not a reward boosting system. This limits its usefulness to Utility, Mobility, or World interaction. What you’re describing are drop buffs already in use in the game as map specific buffs or collection specific triggers, and done that way for a reason. More over, the things you suggest as rewards are much better left to either Token vendors and/or meta reward chests, as it wouldn’t logically require mastery points beyond whats needed to participate in the events themselves.

Also don’t understand why you think this should involve mastery tracks outside of interacting with a vendor, when the whole point of it is to gate that content behind the same kind of “grind” your proposing with mastery track specifically assigned to unlocking token drops.

Posted by: Barnabus Stinson.1409

Barnabus Stinson.1409

Because its gating optional content, you dont need this skin but you can go for it. And the Mastery Tracks are not exclusively a gating system, the one that allows you to fight the champion exalted for example. This just gives a better reason to have them. And if you dont want the skin you dont have to farm achievements to get the points for it. The true gameplay is availible to all without sitting and grinding for hours, but those who want to grind can be given something for that.