Tray.1502

Or is it just me?

I currently have four 80 chars
-Guardian
-Ranger
-Engineer
-Ele

Tried the engineer and ranger but just didnt feel like playing them on WvW

After spending about 30g on the guardian, I tried it out on WvW but it still doesnt seem to pack-a-punch so I decided to switch professions (thinking it might be prof related and/or gears)

So I switched to an ele (which I heard is fairly decent in WvW) and decided to go All Out spending about 100g, reading guides etc..

My Ele currently has:
Full Exo gears with an Ascended Ring
Corrupted Shard + Knight Destroyer Dagger for Weaps

But Holy Bananas…It still doesnt have that “oomf” that I was looking for even though its decently geared

I wasnt expecting much but at least way better than my guardian since its a huge jump considering it has an Ascended gear which I worked for days and Daggers that just, literally, drained all my gold but the dmg output on both was about the same…really Anet?

Most MMOs I encountered, at least, made you feel stronger after you have acquired a certain level and gears but here in GW2, its almost like even though you achieved a certain threshold the character/s just wont progress in terms of strength.

(edited by Tray.1502)

Power Scaling is a bit off..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Melee will deal more damage than ranged, single target will deal more than AoE, and so on.

The elementalist, despite what it may hint at, is not a top of the line damage dealer. The same can be said for the guardian, which is pretty defensive minded.

If you want oompf, I’d recommend a thief or warrior…and then melee.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

That’s just the game, it’s more about pretty pretty dressup parties than getting bigger numbers. I’m usually a bigger numbers man myself, but this game is cool in that you can ignore the pretty pretty dressup aspect too and just roll around looking at the cool scenery, doing de’s and whatnot while still crushing almost everything in pve without having to grind any higher than exotic gear.

As far as WvW and PvP I’m not really a fan so I don’t care much, but it seems like the devs want those aspects to rely more on zerging/skill than gear.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Well, yes. That’s pretty much what the game is about – gear will not net you a significant advantage over other players. Skill will. (Let’s face it, levels are only there to make you feel accomplished; however, seeing as your opponents gain in strength/level as well…you’re not really getting stronger, relatively speaking.)
Also, keep in mind that more expensive weapons are not necessarily more powerful…

Polka will never die

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guild Wars 2 is less of a gear based game, and more of a skill based game. You shouldn’t have to depend on gear. People say all the time you need this ascended gear to compete in WvW and I keep saying you don’t.

Because the game is about skill usage and your ability to move and dodge and pick the right skills and traits to keep you alive.

It’s not about more uber gear. This game is far less gear dependent than most MMOs.

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Thank you for making the point that so many others have failed to grasp, without intending to make it at all. That extra gear level is intended to be near meaningless, by design. This is why they talk about the “low scaling” power curve.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

But Holy Bananas…It still doesnt have that “oomf” that I was looking for even though its decently geared

You, the player, have to provide the “oomf”.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Tray.1502

Tray.1502

Melee will deal more damage than ranged, single target will deal more than AoE, and so on.

The elementalist, despite what it may hint at, is not a top of the line damage dealer. The same can be said for the guardian, which is pretty defensive minded.

If you want oompf, I’d recommend a thief or warrior…and then melee.

Yeah but in general this game seems to force people to be “equal” to each other which in my opinion is needed but should also reward the player/s that have spent quite more time than the other

I clearly spent more time than those people in WvW who has Masterwork Gears under level 80s…

Posted by: gek.6041

gek.6041

Yeah I partially agree with some of your points

I find grinding for gears here meaningless and that gears here are just there to make you look pretty and not like the Hobo at the side mcdonalds

Next time, try sticking with your masterwork gears – less work, less stress
The game isnt gonna reward you for looking pretty anyway

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Yeah but in general this game seems to force people to be “equal” to each other which in my opinion is needed but should also reward the player/s that have spent quite more time than the other

I clearly spent more time than those people in WvW who has Masterwork Gears under level 80s…

What is there to say? This is the philosophy they brought with them from GW1. Sure playing longer gets you a little bit of credit for a while, but in terms of PvP, they’ve always said skill>gear. And they’ve also always had the philosophy that after a certain amount of time in game, time doesn’t become rewarded. Your reward is the extra skill you’ve accumulated while playing the game, not gear to artificially boost it.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

What you get for playing longer, is better skills as a player.

Think of Guild Wars 2 as chess. They provide you with the pieces, but you have to play the game. You can’t cheat by getting an extra queen simply for having played 2 years longer than your opponent. That’s just not how the game works.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

What you get for playing longer, is better skills as a player.

Think of Guild Wars 2 as chess. They provide you with the pieces, but you have to play the game. You can’t cheat by getting an extra queen simply for having played 2 years longer than your opponent. That’s just not how the game works.

Ha, shows what you know. I’ve been grinding chess for years and am up to 7 rooks, 12 pawns, and once I hit 50 last week my queen can now move like a knight too.

If I’m somehow checkmated anyway my king can self ress once, become immune to check for the next 20 turns and revives the other pieces (I maxxed out the healing tree)

Thinking of doing a respec so my bishops can jump over pieces again.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)