Power of the Mists - Compensations.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

With WvW update, Anet removed Power of the Mists. Why didn’t they put some sort of compensations in PvE for that?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why would PvE’rs need compensation for the loss of a bonus that was the result of the efforts of WvW’rs?

Zaraki.5784

Because it was always existed before, hence it’s a loss now (that applies to WvW too obviously).

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They increased the potential rewards for participating in WvW. Its a net buff in terms of overall yield from WvW. You don’t get compensated for an overall buff.

Zaraki.5784

They increased the potential rewards for participating in WvW. Its a net buff in terms of overall yield from WvW. You don’t get compensated for an overall buff.

It doesn’t seem totally right to me, and for those not playing WvW it only caused a loss.
I know you think something like “Well, if people don’t play WvW they don’t deserve any bonus from it.” still it was a bonus who was always there and it being removed without any compensation seems unfair to me.

Ayrilana.1396

Because it was always existed before, hence it’s a loss now (that applies to WvW too obviously).

As was already stated, it’s a bonus from the actions of the WvW population. With its removal, buffs were added within WvW to compensate.

Posted by: Susy.7529

Susy.7529

As was already stated, it’s a bonus from the actions of the WvW population. With its removal, buffs were added within WvW to compensate.

So a PvE only player get only a loss from it? I mean Zaraki is right on that, it was always existed before.
It’s like someone giving you X€/month since you were born just because your neighbourg is working hard, nobody ever complained about that. Then one day it suddenly stops, wouldn’t you complain for that? I’d surely do.

(edited by Susy.7529)

Ayrilana.1396

So a PvE only player get only a loss from it? I mean Zaraki is right on that, it was always existed before.
It’s like someone giving you X€/month since you were born just because your neighbourg is working hard, nobody ever complained about that. Then one day it suddenly stops, wouldn’t you complain for that? I’d surely do.

That would be entitlement.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With WvW update, Anet removed Power of the Mists. Why didn’t they put some sort of compensations in PvE for that?

Compensation? They apparently thought that PotM was too strong a benefit for PvE and moved the equivalent rewards to WvW (via guild buffs applied to objectives, in which the GMO nodes are located). Accordingly, there’s nothing to compensate.

I don’t like losing the buff and I wish that ANet had increased the base chance for a bonus ‘whack’ at nodes, but I don’t think we’re entitled to it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ashen.2907

I have never agreed with you more!

The basic sentiment that one would complain for not being rewarded for someone else’s work is mind blowing to me.

I think that the word, “entitled,” is tossed around entirely too much these days, but in this case…its almost an understatement.

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Actually, no. If we use the real life comparison of receiving a sum of money for an extended period of time, it can be viewed as a source of income. It’s something people have come to depend on and that dependence is a valid argument. Changing the source and taking away the monetary benefit would mean messing with people’s income and that is very much a valid reason to raise objections to the change in real life. That’s not to say people will and need to be compensated, but raising objections is a very natural and understandable thing to do in such a situation. Usually the entitlement comes from those who did not depend on the benefit in the first place and therefore don’t mind if it’s there or not.

As it is I’ll probably get used to the diminished node farming results and it’ll turn into one of those “the good old days” things. All I know is that I haven’t had the option to farm a single node a second time for 1, 2 and sometimes even 3 extra strikes, which was a regular occurence before they removed the buff.

The way I see it, they removed a buff that was in effect in WvW and PvE. They added compensation when playing WvW, but not for PvE. If it isn’t meant for PvE then they shouldn’t have put the effect there in the first place, so that’s not a valid argument anymore. In my opinion PvE should’ve had their own compensation. That, to me, is just simple logic. I know that WvW hasn’t received love or updates for a long time, but that doesn’t mean others have to “suffer” for it.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

To me it’s not that unexpected that they removed the buff. It was put in back when PvE and WvW were closely tied together and WvW players could go to their PvE server to recruit help when they were losing. It was a reward to the PvE server for its members going to WvW to play. It’s more of a loose association now between the two and imo unless ANet decides it’s needed to keep supply up and prices down it’s not coming back.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ayrilana.1396

Actually, no. If we use the real life comparison of receiving a sum of money for an extended period of time, it can be viewed as a source of income. It’s something people have come to depend on and that dependence is a valid argument. Changing the source and taking away the monetary benefit would mean messing with people’s income and that is very much a valid reason to raise objections to the change in real life. That’s not to say people will and need to be compensated, but raising objections is a very natural and understandable thing to do in such a situation. Usually the entitlement comes from those who did not depend on the benefit in the first place and therefore don’t mind if it’s there or not.

As it is I’ll probably get used to the diminished node farming results and it’ll turn into one of those “the good old days” things. All I know is that I haven’t had the option to farm a single node a second time for 1, 2 and sometimes even 3 extra strikes, which was a regular occurence before they removed the buff.

The way I see it, they removed a buff that was in effect in WvW and PvE. They added compensation when playing WvW, but not for PvE. If it isn’t meant for PvE then they shouldn’t have put the effect there in the first place, so that’s not a valid argument anymore. In my opinion PvE should’ve had their own compensation. That, to me, is just simple logic. I know that WvW hasn’t received love or updates for a long time, but that doesn’t mean others have to “suffer” for it.

It’s still something that you didn’t earn. Whether someone depends on it or not doesn’t change that. The benefits of the power of the mists is also not the same as the benefits that those who less fortunate receive in order to get by. You’re comparing two different things.

Yes, the chance of a bonus strike has obviously gone down but it can still happen.

Again, this last paragraph is another example of entitlement. It was a design choice to include it across both game modes but megaservers likely contributed to it being obsolete.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Idk but the existance of things that benefit you while you dont play a specific gamemode are silly. I would be ok for a “in wvw” only effect with each “big wvw update”

TheNecrosanct.4028

It’s still something that you didn’t earn. Whether someone depends on it or not doesn’t change that. The benefits of the power of the mists is also not the same as the benefits that those who less fortunate receive in order to get by. You’re comparing two different things.

Yes, the chance of a bonus strike has obviously gone down but it can still happen.

Again, this last paragraph is another example of entitlement. It was a design choice to include it across both game modes but megaservers likely contributed to it being obsolete.

Explain to me the logic of putting an added PvE effect to something’s solely meant for WvW. It’s not as if that happened by accident. And I’m not saying PvE should just be given something free of charge. They could’ve added something that’s entirely unrelated to WvW, a buff that PvE players had to work for themselves so they at least could benefit from a system that has been there for a long time, but without having to rely on other game modes for it. It’s not the fault of PvE players that they could benefit from Power of the Mists. That was a completely intended effect ANet added to it. They had 1 system with 2 effects. They removed the system but only compensated for 1 effect. In principle this makes no sense.

Like I said, personally I’ll get used to it and I won’t stop farming nodes because this has changed (I still need the materials, after all, regardless of any of this). But I can very much understand why people object to it. And within the logic described above and the fact that it should be earned and not given, I don’t see the entitlement here.

zealex.9410

Nobody is paying anything here. The buff was meaningless if you didnt go in wvw to benefot from ot. Im glad they removed it and instead buffed wvw rewards.

zealex.9410

Explain to me the logic of putting an added PvE effect to something’s solely meant for WvW. It’s not as if that happened by accident. And I’m not saying PvE should just be given something free of charge. They could’ve added something that’s entirely unrelated to WvW, a buff that PvE players had to work for themselves so they at least could benefit from a system that has been there for a long time, but without having to rely on other game modes for it. It’s not the fault of PvE players that they could benefit from Power of the Mists. That was a completely intended effect ANet added to it. They had 1 system with 2 effects. They removed the system but only compensated for 1 effect. In principle this makes no sense.

Like I said, personally I’ll get used to it and I won’t stop farming nodes because this has changed (I still need the materials, after all, regardless of any of this). But I can very much understand why people object to it. And within the logic described above and the fact that it should be earned and not given, I don’t see the entitlement here.

For pve it was a bonus it was never meant to be something more. And simce wvw is more rewarding now its no longer needed.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s because they’ve really given up on their original hope of having a significant population of players that would play both modes. Besides, you couldn’t use that bonus in raids anyway, and open world no longer matters.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

Explain to me the logic of putting an added PvE effect to something’s solely meant for WvW. It’s not as if that happened by accident.

I think it was added to PvE originally because Anet thought that everyone would play a bit of everything. you play some WvW, you help your server, you reap the benefits in PvE. that wasn’t what happened though.

it should have been removed from PvE a long time ago when it was realised that people don’t play a bit of everything.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Ayrilana.1396

As I had alluded to, and someone specifically stated, the cross-over was likely to do with how servers were before mega servers. Back then, servers were actually communities and worked together. I remember there being shouts in LA map chat for people to come defend stuff. It was a design choice for the bonuses to work like this.

It’s one thing to make a suggestion for Anet to add a similar system for PvE but it’s an entirely different thing to say that it should be added as a form of compensation. That’s why it’s entitlement. The bonuses were the result of a server working together in WvW.

The loss of that bonus will have a minimal impact on node farming. If the increase was additive, that’d be a drop of ~7% in materials from ore/wood and ~20% from “plants”. I don’t believe it was additive so the impact will be smaller. You also have to take into account that the full bonus wasn’t gained until later in the week.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I am also sad this is gone. It was always nifty to go gathering shortly before WvW reset eve with that nice 18% bonus applied. But given my general lack of WvW participation I can’t really complain.

However, I do want to address the “entitlement” discussion. I can certainly see and mostly agree with those considering this definitely in the area of entitlement. Still, the legal concept of “right of way” comes to mind. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/propertyclinic/8568033/Property-advice-Right-of-way.html Basically if you walk over someone else’s property long enough without them complaining, you create an ongoing right to do so.

This is not perfectly on point vis a vis the WvW bonus to PvE. But it does point out the concept that if you use something long enough with no one barring you, you gain the right to rely on the availability of that something. So for those who relied on that gathering bonus to boost their mats, I can see their feeling that something’s been taken away from them.

Again, I am on the side of “so what, it was nice while it lasted, game play can change, non-WvWers can live without WvW-created rewards, yadayadayada.” But I don’t think less of those who feel differently.

TheNecrosanct.4028

However, I do want to address the “entitlement” discussion. I can certainly see and mostly agree with those considering this definitely in the area of entitlement. Still, the legal concept of “right of way” comes to mind. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/propertyclinic/8568033/Property-advice-Right-of-way.html Basically if you walk over someone else’s property long enough without them complaining, you create an ongoing right to do so.

This is what I tried to describe in one of my earlier posts (I’m not a native English speaker so I didn’t know what it was called). There is a similar principle when it comes to income earned for a number of work hours over a specified period, and the right one has to that even if an employer decides to give you less work hours (under certain circumstances, of course). The basic principle is that when something becomes common and dependable, and is suddenly taken away through no fault of your own, you can invoke this right or an equal compensation.

Like I said, I can live without Power of the Mists. But throwing around the term entitlement is taking it too far. ANet could’ve thought about the fact that PvE players had a reliable system for years that affected them too, and not just WvW players. It’s not that PvE has the right to said effects, but taking it away certainly does affect them. Which leads me to my following point.

The loss of that bonus will have a minimal impact on node farming.

No, it won’t. Or more correctly, it hasn’t. I am a frequent node farmer and have been for the entirety of the game (I’ve played since launch on an almost daily basis). There is a definite decrease in the yields, as I’ve tried to explain in one of my previous posts. Nodes have 3 strikes. With Power of the Mists I was able to regularly harvest a node again after the first 3 strikes, for 1 or 2 strikes, and sometimes even 3. This was not a rare occurence but a regular one. Even with the guild boost active I have had no extra strikes since they released the patch that removed it. I noticed it within a few days, which is indicative of how many times extra strikes occured before.

To remove a system that affects 2 game modes but only introduce an alternative for 1 of those game modes seems illogical. Regardless of megaservers or initial intent, it has grown into a reliable effect.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I’m actually glad these buffs are gone, they were unfair for underperforming servers and now my stats don’t change anymore (finally!), I can play with my stats in peace.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

^

That’s true.

It used to be a one to one thing. Do good in WvW and get a good bonus. Now because of linking, servers that don’t themselves do good but which are tied to high performing servers get the benefit of that while those that are tied to low or medium performing servers don’t. If the benefit is more through linking then it’s random if the low performing server will get a good bonus or not. Which means it’s not really fair to the individual PvE players as their bonus isn’t truly reflective of WvW effort but is more random so that one person gets one bonus, you get a different bonus and the person next to you gets another, but neither does anything in WvW and it’s tied to linking on top of that.

Now it’s fair. All PvE players get the same amount when they harvest. No different bonuses due to random luck from linking and WvW progress.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is not perfectly on point vis a vis the WvW bonus to PvE. But it does point out the concept that if you use something long enough with no one barring you, you gain the right to rely on the availability of that something. So for those who relied on that gathering bonus to boost their mats, I can see their feeling that something’s been taken away from them.

On the other hand it has been getting mostly taken away on a weekly basis since the game’s launch.

Ayrilana.1396

This is what I tried to describe in one of my earlier posts (I’m not a native English speaker so I didn’t know what it was called). There is a similar principle when it comes to income earned for a number of work hours over a specified period, and the right one has to that even if an employer decides to give you less work hours (under certain circumstances, of course). The basic principle is that when something becomes common and dependable, and is suddenly taken away through no fault of your own, you can invoke this right or an equal compensation.

Like I said, I can live without Power of the Mists. But throwing around the term entitlement is taking it too far. ANet could’ve thought about the fact that PvE players had a reliable system for years that affected them too, and not just WvW players. It’s not that PvE has the right to said effects, but taking it away certainly does affect them. Which leads me to my following point.

The loss of that bonus will have a minimal impact on node farming.

No, it won’t. Or more correctly, it hasn’t. I am a frequent node farmer and have been for the entirety of the game (I’ve played since launch on an almost daily basis). There is a definite decrease in the yields, as I’ve tried to explain in one of my previous posts. Nodes have 3 strikes. With Power of the Mists I was able to regularly harvest a node again after the first 3 strikes, for 1 or 2 strikes, and sometimes even 3. This was not a rare occurence but a regular one. Even with the guild boost active I have had no extra strikes since they released the patch that removed it. I noticed it within a few days, which is indicative of how many times extra strikes occured before.

To remove a system that affects 2 game modes but only introduce an alternative for 1 of those game modes seems illogical. Regardless of megaservers or initial intent, it has grown into a reliable effect.

It’s ~7% loss in materials if the bonus percentage stacked with whatever the default is for wood/ore. If it didn’t the loss will be much much lower. Since plants have just one “swing” you’d lose 20% or lower depending on how the bonus is calculated as mentioned.

I used to gather across many characters and I would never characterize the extra strike as a “regular one”. Even assuming that the bonus actually made it occur at least 20% of the time, two out of 10 times is hardly “regularly” occurring.

You also have to remember that not everyone had max bonus percentages. They tended to only get maxed towards the end of the WvW week and even then, not every server was able to accomplish that.

How is it “illogical” to remove a bonus system that impacted two game modes but then boost one of them? The keyword here being illogical which I disagree with its usage. It was simply an outdated system from a time when server identies and communities existed across both PvE and WvW.

Ashen.2907

Te be fair, two times in ten is regular if the interval is reasonable consistent.

Once per week I eat at the same restaurant. That is one meal in twenty one. I am a regular there.

Ayrilana.1396

Te be fair, two times in ten is regular if the interval is reasonable consistent.

Once per week I eat at the same restaurant. That is one meal in twenty one. I am a regular there.

Would 1 in 100 be regular if the interval is reasonably consistent? How about 1 in 1000?

If we go under the assumption that RNG within the game is consistently applied (e.g. an item with a 10% drop rate always drops 10% of the time on average) then most things could be considered consistent.

The only other part of ‘regularly’ would be frequency which was what I was addressing. I disagreed with 2/10 being regular just as 2000/10000 wouldn’t be regular either. If we apply it to ore/wood, that’s like 7/100 or 70/1000. .

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ashen.2907

Would 1 in 100 be regular if the interval is reasonably consistent? How about 1 in 1000?

If we go under the assumption that RNG within the game is consistently applied (e.g. an item with a 10% drop rate always drops 10% of the time on average) then most things could be considered consistent.

The only other part of ‘regularly’ would be frequency which was what I was addressing. I disagreed with 2/10 being regular just as 2000/10000 wouldn’t be regular either. If we apply it to ore/wood, that’s like 7/100 or 70/1000. .

Two in ten could very well mean once every few seconds. Seems pretty frequent to me.

Ayrilana.1396

Two in ten could very well mean once every few seconds. Seems pretty frequent to me.

Except we’re talking about strikes on nodes which makes it every five strikes we would get an extra strike for plants and every 100 strikes we would get 7 extra strikes for wood/ore. If this is frequent/regular (the first one perhaps) then so is the rate that it’s at right now.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I feel like the majority of the ppl who are upset by this probably weren’t aware of the pre-megaserver system and how we all enjoyed this benefit for far longer than we should have . . .

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Except we’re talking about strikes on nodes which makes it every five strikes we would get an extra strike for plants and every 100 strikes we would get 7 extra strikes for wood/ore. If this is frequent/regular (the first one perhaps) then so is the rate that it’s at right now.

I don’t know about you, but i tended to get an extra strike every second/third node (and double additional strikes weren’t that rare either), that was definitely frequent enough.
Now i get no additional strikes at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

TheNecrosanct.4028

I don’t know about you, but i tended to get an extra strike every second/third node (and double additional strikes weren’t that rare either), that was definitely frequent enough.
Now i get no additional strikes at all.

And the same goes for me. Extra strikes for plants? How about 2 or 3 extra strikes, for a total of 4? Happened to me multiple times every day. 2 full sets of 3 strikes on wood and ore? At least twice a day. Extra strikes were quite common. Now they are non-existent, even with gathering boosts. The Power of the Mists had a significant effect. Maybe you played on a badly performing WvW server, though mine certainly isn’t in the top and doesn’t have the highest score every week.

Like I said, it’s not insurmountable. I will still keep gathering and I am not annoyed by it. I just think it might be nice to get some ability to build up the same effect in PvE. You know, not leech off our WvW players’ success, but work on it ourselves. I’m not assuming ANet will implement something like that, but I would welcome it.

And yes, the WvW system before megaservers is for me a perfectly reasonable argument against the PvE effect for Power of the Mists. The fact that is was built up in WvW, however, isn’t. The fact that it was intended to bring in people to WvW but failed, also isn’t. You can intent for something, but it will usually take on a life of its own after you release it into the world. And that’s what it ultimately is: not what you intend it to be, but what it comes to mean for the people who use/are affected by it.

Ashen.2907

Like I said, it’s not insurmountable. I will still keep gathering and I am not annoyed by it. I just think it might be nice to get some ability to build up the same effect in PvE. You know, not leech off our WvW players’ success, but work on it ourselves. I’m not assuming ANet will implement something like that, but I would welcome it.

I would like to point out that, since I mentioned, “entitled,” previously in this thread, this is not an example of being entitled and, if this is your view on the matter, I consider your take to be quite reasonable. Do take note that others, specifically those who received the comments about entitlement, did not express views even close to your own very reasonable stance.

And yes, the WvW system before megaservers is for me a perfectly reasonable argument against the PvE effect for Power of the Mists. The fact that is was built up in WvW, however, isn’t. The fact that it was intended to bring in people to WvW but failed, also isn’t. You can intent for something, but it will usually take on a life of its own after you release it into the world. And that’s what it ultimately is: not what you intend it to be, but what it comes to mean for the people who use/are affected by it.

Of course another thing that can, and does, happen when a system does not achieve its intent is that the producer changes it to be more in line with that intent. MMOs are constantly changing in order to either adapt the vision behind the game to the realities of the market/player base, or to keep focus on that vision as the game drifts away.

Personally I think that now was the worst possible time to remove the gathering buff. At a time when PvEers are being drawn into WvW in numbers I havent seen since the first months post launch, where they would be contributing to the buff to a degree not seen in years, it gets removed?

Odd.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I would like to point out that, since I mentioned, “entitled,” previously in this thread, this is not an example of being entitled and, if this is your view on the matter, I consider your take to be quite reasonable. Do take note that others, specifically those who received the comments about entitlement, did not express views even close to your own very reasonable stance.

Of course another thing that can, and does, happen when a system does not achieve its intent is that the producer changes it to be more in line with that intent. MMOs are constantly changing in order to either adapt the vision behind the game to the realities of the market/player base, or to keep focus on that vision as the game drifts away.

Personally I think that now was the worst possible time to remove the gathering buff. At a time when PvEers are being drawn into WvW in numbers I havent seen since the first months post launch, where they would be contributing to the buff to a degree not seen in years, it gets removed?

Odd.

Might be the reason mate, since to many would contribute the buff would break the game economy by making us get 10 strikes on each node

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I’m a full time WvW’er and occasionally dabble in a bit of PvE and I miss them a lot.

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

There is another aspect that hasn’t been mentioned yet either and that is crafting. I have finally maxed the various crafting professions but while I was still working on them that was a Thursday night or Friday task to take advantage of the bonus that we no longer get. That bonus impacts the cost of craft leveling in resources, which in turn means that this change is an added burden on newer players who haven’t maxed those professions yet.

Add to that the game wide reduction in harvested materials that has been thoroughly covered in discussion already and I expect that this will have a nontrivial impact on the overall cost to crafting and resource purchases on the TP. Perhaps there was not only a game mode balance consideration but also some economic reasoning that went into this change. However I can’t personally work through the math well enough to guess how much.

Personally this will have the greatest impact on making legendaries since I prefer to harvest as much of the mats as I can rather than buy in the TP.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Ayrilana.1396

Someone calculated it to be a loss of 100G in savings if they maxed every crafting profession.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Of course removing Power of the Mists has an economic impact, just as many other changes to the game’s mechanics. I don’t think that’s a sufficient reason for ANet to make other changes as a way of balancing things out. For example, what if ANet deliberately intended to reduce the supply of gatherable mats for economic reasons, shifting faucets to other sources?

I definitely miss the bonuses, but I think they were bad for the game, because they were inconsistent across PvE communities on the same map and inconsistent throughout the week. I’d love to see ANet increase the base rate for extra-gathers & critical crafting, but I don’t think they need to, nor do they need to ‘compensate’ us.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”