Praising God in chat offends me

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Over time I’ve seen people discussing God/Allah in chat as though he exists. As an Atheist, I find this offensive, just as a Christian or a Muslim would find it offensive if I talked about his lack of existence. Yet these people don’t get warned. I have previously received angry whispers from some players for talking openly about Atheism in Say chat (which I have since learned from an no longer bring any kind of cultural views into chat).

A lot of you are missing the point. Especially the person that said this:

“Are you serious about this? As in, are you asking for people not to discuss stuff in mapchat because you are offended by opinions?”

By that same logic I could discuss disliking a particular race of people, because that’s my opinion. That opinion would be very offensive, but by what you’re saying I should be allowed to express that without consequences.

What I am saying is that religious discussion about God and the appraisal thereof should be prohibited if my open criticism of religion in chat is prohibited.

As the posters in this thread have proven, any kind of real-world religious discussion sparks a LOT of debate; debate which can’t lead anywhere good. As such, ALL religious discussion in game chat should be prohibited, regardless of whether its someone praising God or dismissing him as non-existent.

(edited by Bryzy.2719)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Block them if you don’t like hearing what they talk about and move on. That’s the best advice anyone can give.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Rightclick name, block.
If its a personal attack on you, report for verbal abuse.

If you are offended, cover your ears. Because people are free to talk about whatever they want. Anet already censor offensive words, but they leave the censoring of people up to you.

Posted by: zeroshin.3157

zeroshin.3157

I am an Atheist myself and I find discussions about religion in-game fine, I don’t participate in it and it doesn’t bother me. If you don’t want to see the views of other people, I suggest you just block and move along as Rising Dusk just stated above.

Posted by: frozzy.7820

frozzy.7820

lol let them talk about god or allah just becouze ur ofended dosent mean that others should express their own worldviews

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

While I am not religious myself, I have to acknowledge that not everyone shares my beliefs (or lack thereof). It’s tolerance. Everyone is free to express what they believe to be true, and you just have to be the better person to not try to shoot them down. This is a video game anyway, how much does it really matter. If indeed you express your beliefs and someone rages at you, like others mentioned above block and move on. Be the bigger man, or woman, or other.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Are you serious about this? As in, are you asking for people not to discuss stuff in mapchat because you are offended by opinions?

Nowhere in the code of conduct does it say you aren’t allowed to discuss these things. It says:
“This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.”
That’s different. If someone harrasses you ingame because for some reason you stated in mapchat that you’re an atheist, you can report and block them. But asking for them to be punished for talking openly about their religion (“as if it were real”… what, are they supposed to pretend it’s not real to them for your comfort?) – really? That’s just as immature as insulting people for being atheists.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I tend to agree with others, block them if you have an issue with it. If they are attacking you report them for verbal abuse.

I’m not offended by it personally….though I do have a tendency to use it to pick a fight. People get really upset when I start picking their faith apart.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

IrishPotato.6327

I can see this thread spiraling downwards >.>

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Anet has requested that you report any chat that you consider offensive.

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

You can’t report anyone for discussing religion, politics or whatever as long as it’s not truly offensive, and them believing in god is not breaking any rules, just block them.

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

World views and personal preferences aren’t welcome in map or any other chat according to the rules of conduct.

Over time I’ve seen people discussing God/Allah in chat as though he exists. As an Atheist, I find this offensive, just as a Christian or a Muslim would find it offensive if I talked about his lack of existence. Yet these people don’t get warned. I have previously received angry whispers from some players for talking openly about Atheism in Say chat (which I have since learned from an no longer bring any kind of cultural views into chat).

first of all its 2015 and secondly, dont you have any other problems?
apart from that religion is the reason for unnecessary wars and without it the world would be a better place.
there are more important things in life than believing in something that isnt true and hating each other because of it.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

I’m an atheist too and this is serious bussiness. I dare to say that religious groups are making special game departments to cover mmos and other online games to spread misinformation about imaginary entities.

Words like god, allah or other weird names should be covered by profanity filter.

Players trying to spread their religion views on public chat should be banned for breaking game rules. This is not a place for religious or political agitation.

I’m terrified how common is talking about gods these days with 0 awareness of ppl that don’t believe such things. I hope this case will be taken care of and we will see no more agitation on public chat. The possibility of mental breakdown is very serious in this case.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Just read the rules of conduct and nothing talk about ‘’World views and personal preferences’’ not being welcome in chat. You can point me in the right direction if I miss it.

Freedom of speech mean that everybody have the right to speak about what they want and you have the right to listen of not, but not to limit their ability to do so.

‘’I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it’‘. Ring a bell? You may not agree with what people are talking about in map chat about god/allah, but you have no ground to tell them to not talk about it. If you are offended by it, that’s your problem.

Now i you have ‘’received angry whispers from some players for talking openly about Atheism in Say chat’‘, that’s against the rules of conduct and you can screenshot it and report them for it.

But in the end it’s a game and religion/politic are always some touchy subject that may better be left alone in an online situation. No need to chase after the problems after all.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Two.1627

Two.1627

I understand Atheism less then I understand God/Allah. Seems to be a group of people set on letting everyone else know they are wrong.

IrishPotato.6327

I’m an atheist too and this is serious bussiness. I dare to say that religious groups are making special game departments to cover mmos and other online games to spread misinformation about imaginary entities.

Words like god, allah or other weird names should be covered by profanity filter.

Players trying to spread their religion views on public chat should be banned for breaking game rules. This is not a place for religious or political agitation.

I’m terrified how common is talking about gods these days with 0 awareness of ppl that don’t believe such things. I hope this case will be taken care of and we will see no more agitation on public chat. The possibility of mental breakdown is very serious in this case.

I’m sorry to say but in their eyes, saying “God doesn’t exist” should also be covered by a profanity filter. Again, read my prior post, players are free to express what they want as long as it isn’t offensive. And unless they’re targeting your beliefs directly in an way that insults you or offends you, which none of this should, move on with your life.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’ve met actual atheists before, and they are never offended by talk of religion since they believe the deity(ies) is fictional.

Do you also get mad when NPCs in game talk about the 6?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

first of all its 2015 and secondly, dont you have any other problems?

See this is the problem its 2015, these kids make up problems because they are bored – misogyny, ableism and all that weird crap that came out of the tumblr cesspit.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

If you are offended by that then the Internet is not the place for you. That’s like me saying I’m offended by people discussing about Harry Potter books, because I’m not a Harry Potter book reader, it makes no sense at all.

And for example: if you are in a restaurant, and people sitting on the table near you are discussing those same things, would you go and talk to the restaurant manager and tell them it’s not ok what they are doing and they should be kicked out? Or would you just leave right away?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I understand Atheism less then I understand God/Allah. Seems to be a group of people set on letting everyone else know they are wrong.

Atheism is just the lack of a belief, you are thinking of anti-theism.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Just read the rules of conduct and nothing talk about ‘’World views and personal preferences’’ not being welcome in chat. You can point me in the right direction if I miss it.

Freedom of speech mean that everybody have the right to speak about what they want and you have the right to listen of not, but not to limit their ability to do so.

‘’I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it’‘. Ring a bell? You may not agree with what people are talking about in map chat about god/allah, but you have no ground to tell them to not talk about it. If you are offended by it, that’s your problem.

Now i you have ‘’received angry whispers from some players for talking openly about Atheism in Say chat’‘, that’s against the rules of conduct and you can screenshot it and report them for it.

But in the end it’s a game and religion/politic are always some touchy subject that may better be left alone in an online situation. No need to chase after the problems after all.

Freedom of speech does not, and never has been, existed on private property. Offensive speech is forbidden in GW2 chat. Some people find religeous speech to be as offensive as vulgarity. Anet has requested that we report any speech that we find offensive and allow them, as the property owners, to make the call.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

It shouldn’t offend you that people believe in God or another god. If they want to talk about it, they can. On the flipside, they shouldn’t be offended that you don’t believe in anything.

Tolerance is a two way street, and usually the ones calling for tolerance are being intolerant themselves. Does it effect you in anyway that they’re talking about something that you disagree with? No it doesn’t, get over it and quit caring and let everyone get on with their lives

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Two.1627

If Atheism is the lack of belief how can you get anybody to believe in it?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I can see this thread spiraling downwards >.>

I’m almost certain that was the OP’s intent.

The Burninator

Two.1627

Move this thread to Faux news

Thaddeus.4891

Freedom of speech does not, and never has been, existed on private property. Offensive speech is forbidden in GW2 chat. Some people find religeous speech to be as offensive as vulgarity. Anet has requested that we report any speech that we find offensive and allow them, as the property owners, to make the call.

Anet can ban ppl to discuss about things, but they didn’t so yes freedom of speech is the default rule here because Anet didn’t pronounce themselves about it. If they add in their rules of conduct that we can’t talk about religion in chat, they have the right to do it, they as of today they didn’t do that.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

If you look at the OP’s history, his last post before this one was strongly in favour of the Trinity.

No particular bearing on this thread, of course, but really quite funny.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Block them or grow some thicker skin. I would suggest the 2nd one more. Not everyone has the same beliefs but generally still mean well. I’m not religious, nor an atheist and not going to shun either views from my chat. Humans are social creatures and will randomly discuss anything at any moment, both RL and in-game. The sooner you accept others’ difference the more you’ll enjoy life overall. For them to whisper you in anger means you provoked them by throwing your own beliefs at them when you already knew theirs~ if you don’t feel like debating it then just don’t respond to the discussion.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Oh boy… okay, i’ll say it again. Lack of belief. You do not believe in lack of belief.

Thaddeus.4891

You can’t believe in atheism. It’s just the lack of believe that a god exist.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

People are welcome to chat about whatever imaginary friend they wish. Once they start proselytizing they’ve crossed a line. At that point, it’s report/block. Otherwise, they’re harmless, like any other nutter.

The few times I’ve run across them, I tend to interject Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn! After all, one imaginary deity is as valid as any other.

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

An atheist becoming offended by discussion of religion because their “beliefs” are different makes atheism border on a religion itself. The belief in nothing. Talking about your belief in nothing, trying to convince others of your beliefs, is just like proselytizing.

But seriously, and the above was meant to be serious as well(trying to make you think), if you don’t want to see discussions just block the chatters, or turn off map chat entirely. And if they verbally assault you(personally – not through the discussion between to anonymous people but directed at you) report and block.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Two.1627

It sounds like atheism is the belief that a god doesn’t not exist?

Posted by: Nyama.6931

Nyama.6931

People are welcome to chat about whatever imaginary friend they wish. Once they start proselytizing they’ve crossed a line. At that point, it’s report/block. Otherwise, they’re harmless, like any other nutter.

The few times I’ve run across them, I tend to interject Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn! After all, one imaginary deity is as valid as any other.

I accept all imaginary dieties as valid except Kormir

Thaddeus.4891

An atheist becoming offended by discussion of religion because their “beliefs” are different makes atheism border on a religion itself. The belief in nothing. Talking about your belief in nothing, trying to convince others of your beliefs, is just like proselytizing.

Exactly. Atheist trying to shutdown religious people from talking is as bad as religious people trying to shutdown other religion/atheist from talking. It’s easy to think that you are right and everybody are wrong, so they should all stop talking, but that’s not an healthy society.

Thaddeus.4891

[/quote]

Nope. Some Atheist believe that a god doesn’t exist, but that’s not the definition. I’m an atheism, but I have no clue if or not a god exist. I just look at the bible and see a bunch of things that make no sense to me, so I don’t trust it and if I can’t trust the bible, then how can I put my trust in the deity it talk about. That doesn’t mean that god don’t exist, that doesn’t mean that another diety don’t exist. But as of today, I can’t believe in them.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No that’s not it. Unlike religion, Aetheism isn’t itself a belief system. It is not a disbelief in gods (which is how you’re defining it) or the denial of gods. Generally speaking it is simply a lack of belief in the supernatural, which isn’t precisely the same thing.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Is this tumblr…? “XYZ offends me please refrain from talking about it QQ” Sorry if I sound harsh OP, but you need to grow thicker skin. If those religious people weren’t forcing their beliefs on you (and please don’t tell me merely talking about it is considered forcing), what is the problem here?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’m atheist and I don’t mind people talking about god (no matter what god it is).

A true atheist would not try to shutdown other points of view. Then you are just as bad as any religious dogma.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

You mean imaginary entities like Elder Dragons, sentient plants and deities that leave at the first sight of problem?

Yeah, I can see how that’s a serious issue in a fantasy game.

Two.1627

I do not believe in this Atheism.

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

You don’t believe in atheism. You believe that the explanations for the universe’s phenomena don’t require the existence of a magic ghost that breaks the laws of physics and morality on a whim.

And as far as these logical tricks that you’re trying to play, good luck. The burden of proof is on religion to prove that it’s true, not on me or anyone else to prove that it’s false.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Anet can ban ppl to discuss about things, but they didn’t so yes freedom of speech is the default rule here because Anet didn’t pronounce themselves about it. If they add in their rules of conduct that we can’t talk about religion in chat, they have the right to do it, they as of today they didn’t do that.

ya, that’s not how Freedom of Speech works, nor is it how the TOS work.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

You’re quite free not to

Though it makes me wonder how one can believe or “not believe” in a concept that states there is nothing to believe in in the first place.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You’re quite free not to

Though it makes me wonder how one can believe or “not believe” in a concept that states there is nothing to believe in in the first place.

The beauty about science, logic and reason is that it’s true wether you believe in it or not

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Olvendred.3027

You don’t believe in atheism. You believe that the explanations for the universe’s phenomena don’t require the existence of a magic ghost that breaks the laws of physics and morality on a whim.

And as far as these logical tricks that you’re trying to play, good luck. The burden of proof is on religion to prove that it’s true, not on me or anyone else to prove that it’s false.

If you do believe that it’s false, however, you are going beyond atheism.

Posted by: punkinkatt.4823

punkinkatt.4823

World views and personal preferences aren’t welcome in map or any other chat according to the rules of conduct.

I’m a Christian and I am not offended by your lack of faith in any kind of god or even by any athiest views in chat.
I am offended that you would want to silence people for their views.
There are these two things we call Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion. People have a right to publicly exercise both… even the athiests.

If you are offended, just do as the others have suggested and I am suggesting now.
Use your free, ANet provided, Block feature.

Xev Munroe, Human Ranger: “I love my menagerie
of animals. I love them more than I do most
people. Even solo, I am never alone!”

Olvendred.3027

You’re quite free not to

You also are moving beyond atheism. If the concept states that there is nothing to believe in, then you are denying beliefs that state that there is something to believe in (rather than simply not believing in those beliefs). It’s an important distinction.

Posted by: Jarrix.8234

Jarrix.8234

Silencing them is not the answer. That’s their tactic, don’t stoop to their level.

Free speech only works if everyone is allowed to speak freely. Now I know the parent company of this game doesn’t believe in free speech, but you shouldn’t stoop to their level either.

Kayku
Envy – Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

Unless someone jumps your person and call you slurs for being or not being part of a religion, they have done nothing wrong. Talking about the subject in general can not be considered a personal attack.
Besides there are plenty of people who believe that God exist, is a great entity and the spark of all life in the universe. Be it via big bang or however it happened.

They just don’t confess themselves to any religion because they believe that the Bible and the like is the production of small-minded men. Who project their agenda and ideas onto God, claiming it to be his words.
So don’t mix up believing in God and being religious, it doesn’t have to be the same thing.