Pre-purchase Article, Thoughts,Info

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Krew.3081

Krew.3081

I’m not going sit here and bash Anet, NCsoft or the raging group of people on these forums. However I know a lot of people are interested in this topic and some are tired of it. It’s all over the internet, its even setting records!! ( seriously ) MMO sites, Guild Chats, Forums, Twitch Streams all have this topic the last couple of days.

The elephant in the room is the Heart Of Thorns Pre-Purchase. Personally ( not like it matters ) I bought it, and happy I did. I like Gw2, I play gw2 and have since launch. I got a kitten Christmas Card from this game. ( What!? Ye… ). I buy gems, I’m obviously going to buy the expansion, and more gems. Why not get some extras and a discount along the way. For three years, I’ve played for free for hundreds of hours. It’s worth it to me.

Forget the details & opinions of me. I’m making this thread to give you this article I stumbled across. I thought it was well written and fun to read. It’s just another opinion on a column. I’ve been actually playing GW2 for the last two days, instead of bashing it. So it was good for me to read. I thought some of you might be interested in it. So here it is – http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/18/why-guild-wars-2s-prepurchase-deal-has-the-internet-raging/?utm_content=buffer7568f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Seriously! A great read and talks about all perspectives of the topic. Hopefully some of you enjoy it and get information. Hell, it might even calm some of you down.

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

Good article, summons it up pretty well.
I think everyone can agree that the FAQ thing was a huge mistake.

For the rest i still have a neutral standing in this.
Kind of waiting for a list of stuff what we’re really buying before buying anything.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Good article it was an interesting read.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Krew.3081

Yeah, I thought so. Especially since, I really did miss some of the story. Wasn’t paying to much attention to it all.

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

One group is seriously kittened that newbies are getting a great deal

Here’s what’s going on with this: the standard expansion pre-purchase package is valued by ANet at $50. How much of that bundle is valued as the expansion and how much of it is valued as the base game?

If the whole price is valued as the expansion, veterans should be mad as hell that the game they’ve been playing is valued by ANet at $0, that the studio considers the effort put into the game over the past >2 years worthy of dropping the entire initial box price of $50 (or $60?).

If any substantial amount of the price is for the base game, veterans are upset that they have to waste money to pay for another copy of the game which they just… destroy. Or they could make a whole new account with it, if they wanted to deny themselves access to all of the time and money they put into their first account and jump through all of the timegate hoops that ANet jammed into everything all over again.

Does a pricing quarrel justify going apekitten on ANet? No it does not.

It absolutely does. Stop treating people at ANet like they aren’t fully functioning adults. If they make the choice to work for a business where they completely give away any ability to manage their game and how they sell it, they deserve every bit the consequences of their actions. Perhaps if they’re so upset about getting called out on their lack of control, they should look for a career move that allows them the freedom to not make awful decisions like this pre-purchase setup.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

(edited by Shayne Hawke.9160)

Krew.3081

One group is seriously kittened that newbies are getting a great deal

Here’s what’s going on with this: the standard expansion pre-purchase package is valued by ANet at $50. How much of that bundle is valued as the expansion and how much of it is valued as the base game?

If the whole price is valued as the expansion, veterans should be mad as hell that the game they’ve been playing is valued by ANet at $0, that the studio considers the effort put into the game over the past >2 years worthy of dropping the entire initial box price of $50 (or $60?).

If any substantial amount of the price is for the base game, veterans are upset that they have to waste money to pay for another copy of the game which they just… destroy. Or they could make a whole new account with it, if they wanted to deny themselves access to all of the time and money they put into their first account and jump through all of the timegate hoops that ANet jammed into everything all over again.

Does a pricing quarrel justify going apekitten on ANet? No it does not.

It absolutely does. Stop treating people at ANet like they aren’t fully functioning adults. If they make the choice to work for a business where they completely give away any ability to manage their game and how they sell it, they deserve every bit the consequences of their actions. Perhaps if they’re so upset about getting called out on their lack of control, they should look for a career move that allows them the freedom to not make awful decisions like this pre-purchase setup.

It’s not about valuing the game at $0. As a veteran player, how greedy do you have to be? My god.. Why wouldn’t you want new players in the game you are a “Veteran” in? Almost every game on the market includes the base game with expansion buys. Going to the store and buying an expansion and game separately is a thing of the past. More importantly, why do you think you are entitled to anything more then an expansion? Because you have played for FREE for the last three years doesn’t mean you should get something more because they are selling you another product! Craziness and just silliness! You’re gift as a Veteran is ANet is making the game 0 and is taking a CUT from THEIR money…so that new players will be able to come play with us. It’s called incentive, google it. Refunding players who bought the game recently, oh yeah what thieves! Woof! Before I move on, ask yourself this – if one of your friends who doesn’t play GW2 wanted to. Would you be happier they have to spend 50 on the game then 50 on the expansion? Would that make you feel less cheated as a “Veteran” Listen to yourself.

Pricing Quarrel!?

This doesn’t mean all these people should go crazy on the forums, making videos, starting threads after threads on how much they deserve this or that. If I go to a Chevy dealer, because that is my brand of choice and I see an expansion grille guard for my truck. If I don’t like the price or think I should get more then a grille because I’ve been driving this truck for three years. Should I start a protest? Flip out? Make videos? The problem is, the only functioning adults are Anet. They made a product, buy it if you like it and you think its worth it. If you don’t, then move on and quit stomping your feet because you think you deserve more. Your a customer and a valued one at that. Why do I say that? Because you haven’t been asked to pay a cent for the last three years, and also being able to farm gems in game buy converting gold to gems. Very rare to have a in game store that allows you to absolutely get everything for free. Support the game or don’t. Anet doesn’t deserve the storm of tears that is being blown their way.