Precourser for Achievement Points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

Hellow,
As there will be rewards for achievement points, i like to… beg you!..
I have 7,7k APs right now, and i would seriously like to trade 8k for a precourser, for “The Hunter” i didnt grinded them i got them through alot of fun and adventures and its just time for a precourser now because i want to craft The Predator.

Seriously the “hunt” for a precourser is just a pain in the kitten This is pure grind or luck, i know someone who got 3 precourser with around 4,5k Achievment points 2 at Jormags claw 1 at the first Karka Event, which i missed though incredible lags which kicked me out of the game.
Ive done many Temple Events,many claw kills, many Dungeon runs, many fractal runs, many Jumping Puzzles (if there is no precourser droppchance in the difficult ones, it should be) but not got one yet, so …. just ALL my god kitten achievment points which represents the “Epic Adventure” (as you name the legendary grind) what i had. for one precourser which can be account bound on achieve because i want it to craft the Legendary.
So getting a Precourser for 8k would be just realy nice and I as a quite gratefull player of your game would truly enjoy this.

Would be nice to get a official response.

Blùb [LuPi]

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

i made a post about this earlier and got pretty much pounded into the ground about it…so prepare for all the negative comments. From what i said earlier, the devs mentioned a scavenger hunt and a way for players to see their progress towards a precursor. Having an entire very large achievement tree dedicated to a precursor fits the bill on both of those requirements. Also as I said earlier rewards from achievements are usually account bound so if the scavenger hunt was hard enough it would help keep precursors in the tp at a relatively high price. It would all come down to making the requirements hard enough and/or time consuming enough to keeping the ones on the tp a better deal.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Sorry UrMom, I wasn’t trying to pound you into the ground. I’ve just had my expectations dashed so many times by these things that I’ve become cynical.

Frankly, I think a precusor for achievement points would be a great idea. I just don’t think it will happen.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

UrMom.4205

lol it’s all good

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

OP, I do think achievement points for a precursor is a nice idea, but I think you’re assuming that we will be trading points for rewards, when in fact the wording suggests that rewards will be unlocked when set point tiers are reached.

This has implications for unlocking precursors. For example, if you reach 8k points and a precursor unlocks, how does it work? Do all of them become available? One of them? One of your choice? What if you want another legendary? Wait until 16k points to select another precursor?

Like I said, it’s a cool idea, but I have to agree with TooBz and say that in my opinion this is not likely to happen.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Perhaps. But dear god, not for 8000. More like 50,000. Yes, I am serious. Legendaries should be legendary. There is already way too much of them in game at the moment for the time GW2 is live. IMO way too many people expect to get their legendary NOW. I dont get what is wrong with long (and I mean VERY long) term goals. If you are not willling to get that far than your are not “legendary” enough. Its just a kitten skin, not something that will make you overpowered.

UrMom.4205

Perhaps. But dear god, not for 8000. More like 50,000. Yes, I am serious. Legendaries should be legendary. There is already way too much of them in game at the moment for the time GW2 is live. IMO way too many people expect to get their legendary NOW. I dont get what is wrong with long (and I mean VERY long) term goals. If you are not willling to get that far than your are not “legendary” enough. Its just a kitten skin, not something that will make you overpowered.

That’s what i was getting at with the achievements would have to be hard to get, something very long term. Just giving players another means to get it…because currently with rng it is very possible to never get a precursor ever (not including buying them).

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

People will still complain because achievement points right now are largely based on dailies/monthlies.

So new players will not have an equal chance versus veteran players.

Rightly so – but people will still complain

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: perche.3215

perche.3215

yea, is more legendary farm 500 or 600 golds. btw precursor =/= legendary.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

People will still complain because achievement points right now are largely based on dailies/monthlies.

What do you mean? Veteran players will have to complete x number of dailies to have the achievement points necessary to buy something.

New players will have to complete x number of dailies to have the achievement points necessary to buy something.

It takes them the exact same time with the exact same requirements for both of them. That’s about as fair as it gets.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

What do you mean? Veteran players will have to complete x number of dailies to have the achievement points necessary to buy something.

New players will have to complete x number of dailies to have the achievement points necessary to buy something.

It takes them the exact same time with the exact same requirements for both of them. That’s about as fair as it gets.

Veteran players already have a massive chunk of those points most likely.

Awe.1096

yea, is more legendary farm 500 or 600 golds. btw precursor =/= legendary.

The fact that legendary can be bought with gold is bad IMO. But that is an entirely different issue.

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

Legendary’s in this game are a joke, they are not earned they are just randomly given away to players with good luck. If you were to play this game the way its intended and you have bad RNG you can literally play this game for decades and still not be even close to getting everything you need to craft your weapon, most players will be able to buy the weapon outright long before the items needed would drop.

I have a touch over 2800 hours invested in this game, about 6500 AP, and I am no where even close to getting my weapon, my cousin on the other hand has about 200-300 hrs in, less than 1k AP, and has already had multiple precursor drops and is being handed charged lodestones like their candy every time we run CoE and he is one of the worse players I have ever seen lol.

There is nothing Legendary about these skins, just a bunch of fancy skins that any dummie can get by pure luck, the entire Legendary system needs a full revamp!

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

How about they just send every player one of each Legendary Weapon, because everyone will feel so special watching 120 Twilights swirling through Lion’s Arch.

Awe.1096

Legendary’s in this game are a joke, they are not earned they are just randomly given away to players with good luck. If you were to play this game the way its intended and you have bad RNG you can literally play this game for decades and still not be even close to getting everything you need to craft your weapon, most players will be able to buy the weapon outright long before the items needed would drop.

I have a touch over 2800 hours invested in this game, about 6500 AP, and I am no where even close to getting my weapon, my cousin on the other hand has about 200-300 hrs in, less than 1k AP, and has already had multiple precursor drops and is being handed charged lodestones like their candy every time we run CoE and he is one of the worse players I have ever seen lol.

There is nothing Legendary about these skins, just a bunch of fancy skins that any dummie can get by pure luck, the entire Legendary system needs a full revamp!

I agree on the luck part. Its bad. But that does not change the fact that handing precursors for 8000 AP (something I replied to) is also bad IMO.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I don’t like it. Eventually everyone will have 8k achievement points, and then the market will flood.

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I agree on the luck part. Its bad. But that does not change the fact that handing precursors for 8000 AP (something I replied to) is also bad IMO.

Agree both systems would be bad but I would much rather see them cost 8K ap than the current system that is in place, at least the player wielding the weapon actually has to accomplish something other than beating the big bad rng boss.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I wonder if the new UI will make is so that some achievements can be character bound as opposed to account bound.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: zBluRrYz.1347

zBluRrYz.1347

Precursor for achievement points… lol ruins the prestige. People just want easy legendaries. These posts are getting tiring.

Legends Never [DIE].
B L U R R Y. Thiefy Thief Thief

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Veteran players also have more gold, more map exploration, more mats, more karma, and more badges. Does that mean new players should be able to craft legendaires for less as well? I’m just not seeing why this would be considered unfair, they put in more time so they have more stuff.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I think achievement points should not be used as a currency and to be honest it would be better if they just got rid of the whole system its a really poor way to show how good you are in the game.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Precursor for achievement points… lol ruins the prestige. People just want easy legendaries. These posts are getting tiring.

No, people just want a fair chance for precursors. Achievement points
are the fairest system imho. It is something you can work towards
and if this system means that every account gets one precursor/lifetime
then that doesn’t mean everyone will have a legendary.
Every other compenent neccessary to craft a legendary weapon will
stay the same. Only the most unfair and RNG based part
will be removed. I personally have just over 5k points and acquiring 3k more will take a lot of time but i think that is more than fair.

Most of the people who don’t like this idea are either playing the market and
fearing some of their precious gold will be lost due to speculating
or players who already have a legendary and just dont want to grant others the same
for whatever reason. I just assume they feel special for having something that
others don’t, which is just pathetic.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Excacly… Precursor are what makes legendaries hard to get. i was so lucky i got mine, but still… Even if i still needed my precursor i wouldnt want this to happen. You KNOW that alot of people are missing the precursor only. If this happend for 8 points, everyone would have one

UrMom.4205

what if instead of precursor FOR achievement points, it is precursor FOR completing the precursor achievement chain. Make the chain extremely hard/time consuming/etc. and have it where you can only do those particular achievements. That way veterans wouldn’t have any advantage over newer players.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Awe.1096

I think achievement points should not be used as a currency and to be honest it would be better if they just got rid of the whole system its a really poor way to show how good you are in the game.

I agree its not 100% accurate. But to be honest it does carry a certain high probability of “skill” indication. Or more like experience indication. Vast majority of people with 8k+ I come to play with are fairly decent. And lots of people with 2k are often not very good. If you spend a lot of time in game, there is a much higher chance you will know better how to play. There are of course exceptions, but still…

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

How long is long enough to expect it to take to get a legendary? Sometimes I feel like people would be saying the same thing 5 years down the line.

The game has already been out for almost a year. This is my first MMO so I don’t have a lot of experience in this space. Most single player games from the same time are in the bargin bin.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Getting a precursor as a reward for getting say a good number of achievement is a great idea.
After all, a high number of achievement points may be the best, possibly the only, indication of extensive participation on GW2.

And … something will also need to be done for the dedicated WvW’ers who may have put in just as much effort (and whose work has given us all those world buffs for PvE), but have been rewarded with far less achievement points. They’ll need some equivalent reward.

So what would be a reasonable threshold for getting a precursor? I’d suggest 5K.

Yes there are some people out there with more, but look at the hours they’ve put in. Some people have spent over 2000 hours on this game. That’s more than a full time job for a year! GW2 is just a game. Expecting a Legendary to take the equivalent of a year’s full time work would be nuts. Those people should have got their precursor a long time ago.

The dedicated but not fanatical players seem to have around 4-5k achievement points nearly a year into the game (a few have more). That’s a lot of work over an extended time, and a year of that seems about right for a precursor.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I think that a precursor for something like 6k point would make sense because that much points not everyone has and not something you get in a month.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

yes to the idea but NO to the 8k achieve points cost !
that’s a bit steep, I’ve been playing for 1500 hours and only have 4.9k AP’s
which tells me that this idea is not exactly a fool proof way to ensure enough participation in game before awarding a precursor for AP’s !

One of the main reasons I have only 4.9k AP’s is I don’t like any of the other races AT ALL I only play humans, as such my AP’s take a hit :S

Posted by: tfwzyko.3516

tfwzyko.3516

i always enjoy the kids screaming “WHY SHOULD YOU GET A FREE LEGENDARY I DIDN’T NO FAIR”

If only they played the first game, where all loot was available to you if you worked for it, it was fair, you always progressed towards your goals in that game.

I’m sick of this roll-a-dice BS bring back the hard work and we’ll be rid of the self-entitled children.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Precursors (but account bound of course) should be added as rewards for completing a weapon mastery line, IMO. For example, maxing Staff kills would get you The Legend, maxing Sword kills would get you Zap. There could be a little leniency with the weapons that are hard to score kills with, such as Shield or Warhorn (basically off-hand only weapons), which perhaps would only need to be completed half-way to get their precursor or something.

This would make the most sense to me. Your character basicallys wins the right to wield a legendary of that type of weapon by becoming a legendary wielder of that weapon type.

As logical as it seems though, probably wouldn’t ever happen.

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I hope this will never happen.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Unlock an (account bound?) precursor of your choice reaching the 10k achievement points treshold. The more I say it, the more sweets it sounds!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Prestige of what, flipping the TP and farming CoF p1, or lucking out at the mystic forge? Nothx, Precursors at a certain (high) achievement point treshold is a good way to reward long-time players that refuse to grind their face off (read: me).

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Precursor for Achievement Points only if it is bound and can’t be sold at the TP… otherwise the price would drop because too many players would just get one to sell it – leaving lucky ones that get one as drop at a disadvantage(they can’t sell them at a good price anymore then – waste of luck). Also legendary made from this should be bound.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I think 10k would be perfect…at this point in time that would only introduce about 25-30 precursors, which simply is not enough to validate the concerns about them becoming common. In the future, yes it would introduce more, but ofc the current luck system (ZERO prestige btw) would introduce many many more. For which means would we rather have more (as in more than we have now) of them introduced…….horseshoes up the arses or dedication to playing the game?

Precursor for Achievement Points only if it is bound and can’t be sold at the TP… otherwise the price would drop because too many players would just get one to sell it – leaving lucky ones that get one as drop at a disadvantage(they can’t sell them at a good price anymore then – waste of luck). Also legendary made from this should be bound.

Waste of luck…..now there’s a concept that I do not grasp. Doesn’t luck denote that anything gained is a bonus, thus not bound to waste rational?

*note I am not trying to rebutte you, just trying to understand the concept

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

As it should be with regards to cool stuff (cosmetics, etc.). Stat wise, a new player can get his hands on exotics just as easily as anyone else. But you’re right, they’ll still complain.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is true of a lot of things though. Veteran players most likely have at least one level 80 character, all their skills unlocked, most/all exotic or ascended equipment, a lot of the waypoints unlocked….

It’s something you just have to accept whenever you start a game after release. The same way you have to accept that there will always be someone playing more than you and they will also have more rewards for it, no matter when you started.

i always enjoy the kids screaming “WHY SHOULD YOU GET A FREE LEGENDARY I DIDN’T NO FAIR”

If only they played the first game, where all loot was available to you if you worked for it, it was fair, you always progressed towards your goals in that game.

I’m sick of this roll-a-dice BS bring back the hard work and we’ll be rid of the self-entitled children.

What first game were you playing?

That’s true for weapons awarded for finishing the game, or torment weapons, but if you wanted destroyer weapons or obsidian armor, or any elite armor set really you were faced with either farming and hoping for the right materials to drop or buying them. Sure you could buy them from NPC merchants, but at a price set by supply and demand from other players.

And how many people spent hours running dungeons hoping for a particular green weapon to drop? And how many of them just wanted to sell it to one of the many people who weren’t willing to take their chances with the RNG?

How is that any different to precursors in GW2?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

lol@ “The prestige of having a legendary”

From the second that legendary weapons could be bought & sold, the only prestige left is “I have a ton of money to throw at the game”.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

I made a suggestion thread for this a while back and pretty much got torn apart.

I put out the idea that every 1,000 AP you’d get an achievement coin. At 5 achievement coins + world completion (which you already need) + Story Completion, you would get one of the anon messages saying something to the extent of

“You’ve proven yourself to be a hero in the lands of Tyria. Far and wide your heroic deeds are known. Not only for defeating the Great Elder Dragon Zhaitan, but for taking the time to help every day citizens. You see through prejudiced and are a beacon of hope in these dark times. You’ve started building your story, and now it’s time for you to pursue it. Take this seal to (npc name), it’s time for you to forge your own Legend.”

You receive a seal and take it to an NPC for a SOULBOUND ON ACQUIRE precursor.

And to throw it out there, I’ve already made Kudzu, so all these “boo hoo” comments about already having one, RNG isn’t prestige. Prestige is something you work for and you struggle for.

Even if you get it my way, which would take months of work, but there’s no guarentee people would even do them.

(edited by KeyLimPi.9031)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

They were skins

Instead precursor is the key ingredient for an higher TIER weapon that should “accordingly to anet manifesto” not bound to an insane amount of grinding.

That s why nobody complains about “infinite light” while everybody complains about precursors.

If they once again state that they won t be a TIER but will remain exotic quality forever…then for me they can even takes years to get…..i would be happy crafting exotic skins of my taste.

It changed from the prestige of having a legendary to the “need” of having a best in slot weapon that won t become obsolete as happened to our exotic jewelry for example.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

darkace.8925

They were skins

Instead precursor is the key ingredient for an higher TIER weapon that should “accordingly to anet manifesto” not bound to an insane amount of grinding.

Your argument fails for two reasons. 1. They are currently no better than exotics, which are obtainable without “insane amounts of grinding”. 2. There’s no reason to believe Legendary weapons will be the only way to obtain BiS weapons if and when a new tier is added.

LordByron.8369

They were skins

2. There’s no reason to believe Legendary weapons will be the only way to obtain BiS weapons if and when a new tier is added.

It will be mostly because for a period of time…each time a better weapon will be released, legendary will be the BEST around.

no doubt on that.

If its 3 weeks for a trinket, try to think how much will be for a weapon.

Not to count the fact that people don t like their equipment to become obsolete.

Also i m not wrong because despite how hard you try, legendary is a TIER.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

darkace.8925

Legendary is a label, a designation. They’re statistically no better than exotics. They may technically be a tier, but you claimed they were a “higher tier”. That’s incorrect.

LordByron.8369

Legendary is a label, a designation. They’re statistically no better than exotics. They may technically be a tier, but you claimed they were a “higher tier”. That’s incorrect.

they are better than exotic by definition.
And its 100% correct

An exotic WILL become obsolete.
A legendary will NEVER

GW2 balance:

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Common sense= guaranteed future proof is definitely better than guaranteed obsolete

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

The funny thing is, many of us who don’t have a legendary yet would not be getting the precursor free. Many, including myself, have spent hundreds of gold trying for our precursors, and played 2000 hours worth of content hoping for a random drop. We’ve done our due diligence with gold spent and time played just like the rest, we’ve just been very unlucky.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

LordByron.8369

i have a precursor….
The other precursor i want costs 30 G ._.

Yet knowing how disgusting is getting a precursor i m in favor of easy precursors…..
I think that since 15 nobvember 2012 and getting a precuror didn t change my opinion.

GW2 balance:

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

i made a post about this earlier and got pretty much pounded into the ground about it…so prepare for all the negative comments. From what i said earlier, the devs mentioned a scavenger hunt and a way for players to see their progress towards a precursor. Having an entire very large achievement tree dedicated to a precursor fits the bill on both of those requirements. Also as I said earlier rewards from achievements are usually account bound so if the scavenger hunt was hard enough it would help keep precursors in the tp at a relatively high price. It would all come down to making the requirements hard enough and/or time consuming enough to keeping the ones on the tp a better deal.

Rather than risk precursor farms, make them account bound on aquire. Leave the tp for the lucky souls who picked it up, but give those who don’t feel like 600g is a good use of money a reasonable alternative. Perhaps a different set of achievments per precursor so all of them can be made on the account. Also it would make the “quest” for a precursor different each time which is what I loved about the personal story. So many different paths and objectives I could actually tell a story to guildies rather than remind them that they just did the same thing.

almost 7k ap’s, a guy on my “friend’s” list has 9k. Wonder what (s)he does O.o

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I think I remember that thread where I pounded you for saying something along the lines of;
- precursors should be given at 5000 points
- I have 6000 points

Which reads as “I want a free precursor”. Such an argument obviously doesn’t hold.

I’m not against the idea of precursors for achievement points, but it should be implemented correctly. A rather large gold+laurel+karma+commendation pricepoint sounds reasonable. At the 10k AP point.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto