Precursor

Precursor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Anet, i’ve played this game since the three day pre-release but have never had a precursor weapon. Look at my activity and see i’m one of your major supporters but my only reward is regular disconnections.

I see lots of rarely online players getting precursor weapons all the time (some have had two in one day) but still nothing for me.

Really becoming disillusioned with the whole process, seems you reward inactivity and ignore your most loyal and financial supporters.

Give me something, anything to show my time here is worth more than nothing to you.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Precursor

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I didn’t play for a week, login and get an asc wep chest from a champ bag.
Just log off for a month and get that dusk!!!!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Precursor

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t understand this fixation on precursors. Sure it would be nice to have (especially since I’m working on a legendary) but posts like this make me think for some people the only reason to play is to get a precursor.

Anyway, OP ask yourself this: What do those players do that you don’t, which is likely to increase their chances of getting a precursor?

Do you normally play on a level 80 character? (Or at least level 62+ since that’s the minimum to get exotic drops.)
Do you save up any level 75+ rare items you get and put them in the Mystic Forge?
Do you do world bosses on a regular basis?
Play WvW? (Purely anecdotal but I’ve heard of more people getting precursor drops there than PvE, and it makes sense since all the enemies are level 80 and there’s a lot of champs and vets.)

If not then you have your answer.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Precursor

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Danikat, after two years of monotony there really isnt anything else that people can hope for from a drop anymore

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Precursor

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Anet, i’ve played this game since the three day pre-release but have never had a precursor weapon. Look at my activity and see i’m one of your major supporters but my only reward is regular disconnections.

I see lots of rarely online players getting precursor weapons all the time (some have had two in one day) but still nothing for me.

Really becoming disillusioned with the whole process, seems you reward inactivity and ignore your most loyal and financial supporters.

Give me something, anything to show my time here is worth more than nothing to you.

It’s sad that rumour has it that precursors only drop for MF junkies that have hundreds of gold to buy an inventory full of rares to throw in the MF in the hopes that the RNG gods smile upon them as it did one time for me after 2+yrs in this highly unrewarding game.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Precursor

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Doesnt work. I stopped 2 months for Wildstar. Threw in 3000 gold worth of greatswords and everything that came out of it in again. No precursor.

Got 6150 hours /age on this account and never had a precursor drop outside of mystic forge

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Precursor

Danikat.8537

From a drop? Maybe not. (Although personally I’m more interested in getting nice skins.)

But there’s a lot more to this game than simply getting valuable items (or gold). I mainly play because I enjoy the actual gameplay, the new storyline and the challenge of getting some of the achievements. If I get a good drop that’s a bonus, if not then I don’t really think about it.

Precursor

Danikat.8537

Doesnt work. I stopped 2 months for Wildstar. Threw in 3000 gold worth of greatswords and everything that came out of it in again. No precursor.

Got 6150 hours /age on this account and never had a precursor drop outside of mystic forge

If you had 3000 gold what did you want a precursor for? You could have bought a legendary with that.

Precursor

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m sorry but I laugh at those that say “you’re not killing enough x”, or you aren’t playing enough. Those things have NOTHING to do with whether or not you get a precursor, as it is supposedly completely RANDOM. I could go into Queensdale and kill a level 5 bear and get a precursor. Killing world bosses – does not increase your chances. Playing more – does not increase your chances. Playing WvW – does not increase your chances. Your chance is your chance, same as everyone else’s chance. RANDOM. Which is why people are getting kittened off about this stuff. It is all luck and nothing more. People played for over 6k hours and have no precursor and some people play 100 hours and get two … in one day.

As I have said in another thread, I will not go for a legendary until a precursor drops for me. I refuse to make some other player “rich” because they simply got lucky. Eventually I will get bored with the game, as have others, because there’s only so much to do.

No one wants one anything handed to them (or at least I don’t), but for kittens’ sake, at least make it craftable or obtainable ANY OTHER WAY than by luck ALONE.

TL; DR: OP, I get it and concur with your sentiments.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Precursor

Malediktus.9250

If you had 3000 gold what did you want a precursor for? You could have bought a legendary with that.

I was bored and was hoping to make a profit.

Precursor

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

My wife and I have both had precursor drops (once from a champ bag and once from a white ooze) and I still agree the system needs to change. There is a large player base that wants more options to obtain a precursor than farming 1000+ gold to reward someone who got a lucky drop.

You can make them hard to obtain, but please give us more options.

Precursor

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

I hate to say it, but I don’t really see it as being in the game’s best interest to change the way that they are acquired. Think about it, every time one is listed to be sold, that is a large chunk of money that is removed permanently from the game environment. Let’s say I post a Dusk at 1000 gold, as soon as I post it, I pay a non-refundable 150 gold. Yes, there are a lot of interactions that occur daily, but to be able to remove such a significant amount of gold from the world with just one item, is too good.

Precursor

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I hate to say it, but I don’t really see it as being in the game’s best interest to change the way that they are acquired. Think about it, every time one is listed to be sold, that is a large chunk of money that is removed permanently from the game environment. Let’s say I post a Dusk at 1000 gold, as soon as I post it, I pay a non-refundable 150 gold. Yes, there are a lot of interactions that occur daily, but to be able to remove such a significant amount of gold from the world with just one item, is too good.

The gem store makes that completely moot. I can spend a bit of cash and get gold instantly. As of this moment $100 in gems will get you just over 700 gold according to gw2spidy.

With a feature like that in place it just means prices for everything on the market of any value will continue to go up and up in price pushing those things further out of reach for those of us that can’t play 10+ hours a day flipping things on the market or who won’t spend money on gems to sell for gold.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Precursor

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

They could still remove a that much gold through crafting. The issue many people have with the way things are set up now is a tiny fraction are rewarded with a ton of gold while others have to grind for hundreds of hours.

The legendary weapons are honestly one of the laziest things in the game.

No lore attached, no quests attached, only way to acquire the precursor is a near nonexistent drop rate, gambling away rares or saving 1000+ gold, and despite all the account bound stuff you need to make it you can just buy them on the TP…

For being a “legendary” the method to get them is anything but.

Precursor

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

They could also put a cap on the amount any single item can be sold for on the TP. Say 1000g. That would mean precursors couldn’t go higher unless you want to chance selling one by trading with a person which is very risky.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Precursor

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You’ve got drop fever, and the only cure is MORE MAGIC FIND

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Precursor

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m pretty sure your only reward isn’t disconnects. If that were true, then you’d be pretty silly to be playing the game for 2 years. You must have had fun at some point. You must have gotten something out of the game at some point.

If you think a precusor is all this game is about, you should reexamine your motivations for playing. In two years, you certainly should have had enough gold to buy one anyway, if you really wanted one.

Precursor

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

same here, no precursor drop. no legendary craft! but I’m setting aside the things that are needed to craft the legendary. just waiting for that precursor!

I play to have fun, not to frustrate myself.

Would it be cool to live forever?

Precursor

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Since it’s well-known that players want an alternative method to acquiring a precursor, and these Legendaries likely won’t be the only ones, why not just wait.

Precursor

fellyn.5083

Since it’s well-known that players want an alternative method to acquiring a precursor, and these Legendaries likely won’t be the only ones, why not just wait.

Well here’s the thing. The first announced that they were working on a precursor scavenger hunt (or something similar) in September of 2012. A few months later they told us that it was in fact not being worked on but they were “monitoring” the situation, whatever that means.

Then July of 2013 comes around and they said they were working on it again and had it planned for the second half or 2013. It comes to the end of 2013 and they said nope, it’s being pushed back even further, this time with no ETA.

And now we’re in the second of 2014, a full year later, and still waiting..

There gets a point where we’ve waiting too long.

Precursor

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

Getting a precursor has nothing to do with how long you’ve played, your skill level, how much magic find you have or how many rares/exotics you flushed down into the MF.

A guildie using MF for the first time and throw in 4 random rares he got from maw and got “The Chosen” and another guildie flushed down 1000g worth of rares/exotic and got nothing. It’s ALL RNG!!!!! Same thing with “Endless Fractal Tonic” I’ve been running fractal for more than a year and it never drop for me. While someone with less than 2000ap running 49 for the 2nd time got one.

I’ve been playing since prelaunch and never seen a precursor drop for me. Learned my lesson in MF, everything in gw2 is RNG based. No one is gonna laugh at you and no group will deny you simply because you dont have a legendary; and as for showing off? there are already too many people running around with them they look like common skin so Instead of getting yourself frustrated with some stupid flashy skin why not do something else and have fun. It’s a game after all…

And yes getting precursor through RNG is kittened….

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

(edited by beastie.4536)

Precursor

Posted by: ZoiN.4280

ZoiN.4280

I barely get any normal exotic drops even, I feel like just giving up ever getting a precursor drop as it is :s

I honostly don’t think ive had a exotic drop for me a month or so.

Precursor

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I have played this game since beta but have been stagnating on exotics since then. I can only hope for a random precursor drop from some monster since I hate RNG and I see no point to start on the other ingredients without getting a precursor first.

Also no point in going for ascended weapons and dilute my resources if I am ultimately getting a legendary. There is no progression path from ascended to legendary which means I have to choose between the two.

There really isn’t any gear progression after level 80.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Precursor

Boneheart.3561

Well here’s the thing. The first announced that they were working on a precursor scavenger hunt (or something similar) in September of 2012. A few months later they told us that it was in fact not being worked on but they were “monitoring” the situation, whatever that means.

Then July of 2013 comes around and they said they were working on it again and had it planned for the second half or 2013. It comes to the end of 2013 and they said nope, it’s being pushed back even further, this time with no ETA.

Because of a change in loot they couldn’t implement the scavenger hunt, lest it throw the economy out of whack.

I’m going by memory, anyone feel free to cite the actual quote or make corrections.

Precursor

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

You shouldn’t worry yourself so much with getting a precursor. Try to enjoy the game instead.

I also wanted a legendary in the beginning but then I saw almost every third person has a legendary and I see so many Twilights/Sunrises/Bifrosts out there. Honestly I got more excited getting my hands on a Ley Line Staff Skin than I’ll ever get by getting a precursor/crafting a legendary. xD

Precursor

DarkSpirit.7046

Because of a change in loot they couldn’t implement the scavenger hunt, lest it throw the economy out of whack.

I’m going by memory, anyone feel free to cite the actual quote or make corrections.

What change in loot? Do you mean that all the loot in the game got better? Am I the only one who didn’t notice that?

Precursor

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

When you play Guild Wars 2 already for almost 2 years.
I’m sure you made enough money by now to buy atleast one precursor.
Unless you waste all your money on other stuff :p

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Precursor

DarkSpirit.7046

Not really, if you have only been doing world explorations on your characters.

Precursor

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Then you should really consider doing some more profitable content, even if it’s not something you particularly love. If you aren’t willing to do this, then you don’t want a legendary bad enough and don’t deserve one anyways.

/sits back and strokes my 5 legendaries while watching people complain about something that’s really easy achievable

Precursor

DarkSpirit.7046

Then you should really consider doing some more profitable content, even if it’s not something you particularly love. If you aren’t willing to do this, then you don’t want a legendary bad enough and don’t deserve one anyways.

/sits back and strokes my 5 legendaries while watching people complain about something that’s really easy achievable

I guess I was one of the naive players who actually believed them during the pre-launch when ArenaNet made videos of playing the game the way we enjoy it and that GW2 is based on world exploration.

Precursor

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

6150 hours in 21 months (23 months GW2 minus 2 months of inactivity) nets almost 10 hours a day. TEN HOURS A DAY. What the hell…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Precursor

Boneheart.3561

What change in loot? Do you mean that all the loot in the game got better? Am I the only one who didn’t notice that?

Are you asking me, the player? You’ll have to do some (light) digging for the quote if you want more than my summation from memory. Remember to take into account the date of the quote, you’ll want to research what had been released at that point and several months later.

Precursor

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

I guess I was one of the naive players who actually believed them during the pre-launch when ArenaNet made videos of playing the game the way we enjoy it and that GW2 is based on world exploration.

You can play the game the way you want to, just don’t expect to get all the rewards you want. Sometimes you have to ‘work’ for those rewards, and that means doing something that’s boring or something that you don’t enjoy. My biggest hurdle nowadays is karma when making legendaries, and even though I would rather be doing something else and find it pretty kitten boring, I still run around with the k-train in the EoTM to get that karma.

Precursor

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well, that’s not really fair. No one ever said every single reward would be available through every single method of play. What makes this acceptable is that a legendary is 100% completely unnecessary to do anything in game. There’s no content that requires a legendary.

It’s like the Liadri mini. You don’t need it. But if you want it you have to beat Liadri. The very idea of a weapon being legendary means you have to do a bit of everything. They’ve made it a lot easier in fact since launch by adding in stuff like badges of honor from achievement point boxes, or dungeons tokens from PvP.

But yeah, you can still play the way you want…I do.

Precursor

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Personally, I will just outfit my 3 toons in ascended, since at least that is guaranteed. And they are the best stats in the game. And the legendaries are mostly ugly anyway.

On another RNG note: was playing last night, as were many other people in my guild. Due to the double drop rate of BL tickiets and scraps, plus the opportunity still to get the unlimited hair style kit, most everyone in the guild was key farming. One guildie, who had taken a 9 month break from the game and just came back, did his first ever key run. What did he get? A permanent BL trader, worth 300g. On his FIRST key, EVER. I have personally spent a lot of actual money on keys, plus farmed them until I am bored out of my mind, and the best thing I’ve seen is not even close to that. Thank you, RNG, thank you.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

(edited by ozmaniandevil.6805)

Precursor

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/05/flameseeker-chronicles-the-curse-of-guild-wars-2s-precursor-we/

That sums up pretty much my thoughts on the whole debacle that is getting a precursor.

I gave up ever hoping I’d get one either as a drop or from the forge. My account is “cursed”….I bought the four precursors I had.

Precursor

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’ve also been playing since pre-release and have never seen a precursor. I’ve honestly stopped caring about it. The only sure-fire way to get it is to purchase it off of the TP. You could try the Mystic Toilet (however after 400g of swords thrown in without a precursor, I would not recommend this option).

The most valuable Exotic I’ve ever gotten was Ogdhen’s Leggings worth ~12g. Every other exotic drop I’ve seen have either been Recipes or weapons/armor worth 1-3g.

Luckily there are other avenues to get everything that I want so I’m pursuing those rather than deal with RNG.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Precursor

Posted by: Holion.5604

Holion.5604

if you had 3000 gold why didn’t you just buy the precusor off the trading post, what a wierdo

Precursor

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

takes a drink

Precursor

Boneheart.3561

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/05/flameseeker-chronicles-the-curse-of-guild-wars-2s-precursor-we/

That sums up pretty much my thoughts on the whole debacle that is getting a precursor.

I gave up ever hoping I’d get one either as a drop or from the forge. My account is “cursed”….I bought the four precursors I had.

That article reeks of bias.

Precursor

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I feel like there is a weird calculation for RNG that’s similar to drops in TF2 where it kinda makes up for lost time if you haven’t played.

My buddy kept quitting and coming back and has gotten 3 precursor drops. Me? absolutely nothing. I’m lucky to get exotics beyond the guarantied ones from weapon boxes, and I’m convinced they are rigged so you can’t get a pre out of MFing them.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Precursor

fellyn.5083

I find it interesting that you defend a bad such that you have devoted a lot of time too.

The current way legendary items are made (specifically precursors) is the most uninteresting and unfun mechanic ever devised in an mmo that I’ve heard of.

Precursor

Sauzo.6821

Like others have said, if you have been playing since head start or shortly after and couldn’t save enough gold to buy a precursor, then you are REALLY doing something wrong. I have made six legendaries and bought every precursor. I don’t even play the TP. I do play a lot but and started at head start but I prioritized my gold and saved it all. I didn’t squander it on “junk”.

Even playing casual, you can make 10g a day pretty easy. Run a few dungeons, sell the mats, use the tokens to buy armor and break it down into mats to sell as well and either sell rares of break them into ecto and sell that.

I’m not saying the current system is good but face it, Anet isn’t gonna change it and most likely I don’t see an alternative way to get precursors coming. So just suck it up and either get one by the methods now or just give up.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Precursor

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

That article reeks of bias.

The only bias I read into that article is the FACT that “gaining items through actual gameplay feels stingy, dull, or even downright manipulative”, myself and MANY OTHERS feel the same way, there is ZERO reward for effort put forth in this game(unless you think the 98% useless garbage we get now a reward).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Precursor

Malediktus.9250

if you had 3000 gold why didn’t you just buy the precusor off the trading post, what a wierdo

Well I crafted the swords myself and was trying to make a profit. I already own Eternity so I would have sold the precursors

Precursor

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I don’t understand this fixation on precursors. Sure it would be nice to have (especially since I’m working on a legendary) but posts like this make me think for some people the only reason to play is to get a precursor.

Well, there are things to consider:

• After hitting lvl 80, you can do some fractals, run dungeons with PUGs and finish your personal story. But you get tired of those some time, and with the terrible rewards, “some time” is way faster than you expect
  • WvW is awesome, really, but depending on your server and when you play, you will find 4 empty maps
  • PvP is also awesome, but it’s so limited. We only have one game mode, and people tend to flame others when mistakes are made, or for poor performance

So ok, we have a lot to do, there’s Living Story being released every two weeks, but after you play a lot, you just want a new challenge. The legendary weapon was supposed to be that challenge, but it’s completely RNG based, and that’s why people complain

Precursor

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Considering how much effort is put into the gem store in each update it seems like some manager is pushing gem sales over the entire game, and even if precursor crafting was already coded it wouldnt be released because that would drive down prices which would drop gem sales. Of course I dont actually think thats happening (hooray for conspiracy theories) and it must take some work to code but is it really going to take two years to put in some new crafting recipies.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Precursor

Sauzo.6821

Considering how much effort is put into the gem store in each update it seems like some manager is pushing gem sales over the entire game, and even if precursor crafting was already coded it wouldnt be released because that would drive down prices which would drop gem sales. Of course I dont actually think thats happening (hooray for conspiracy theories) and it must take some work to code but is it really going to take two years to put in some new crafting recipies.

Well that’s a given as this game is run by NcSoft who if you look at all their other games, they have and highly endorse their cash stores so it comes as no surprise to me since I’ve played some other NcSoft games like Lineage 2 and Aion.

Am I legendary yet!?

Precursor

Posted by: RedWolf.6513

RedWolf.6513

I already crafted an ascended weapon, but after 1800 hours and 2 years in this game, I haven’t gotten precursor or legendary. I wasn’t angry or frustrated about it. I know it was all luck anyway. If luck was suddenly showed up and got precursor or legendary, I would be glad to hold it in my hand, hold the weapon high in the air and say, “Finally! I got it!”

Anyway, like I said, I wasn’t frustrated or angry after 1800 hours and 2 years in this game. This is all about having fun and helping new players. Recently, I helped 4 people who are new to Arah story mode, because none of people would want to work with others with Arah story mode. It really made me feel good helping other players who are new to the game. It is all about having fun and enjoy the game. Try to enjoy the game once in a while or take a break and let your head prevail for a while.

Precursor

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

I think the biggest problem is people expect it to just drop after killing enough, or enough time investment. The truth is, it’s really really rare. You can’t expect it to just drop for you. They are supposed to take legendary effort to aquire, not something everyone gets after playing 2000 hours.

Those people who get multiple precursors are usually the ones spending tons on forging them. If you haven’t dropped 1k gold worth of exotics/rares in the forge, then i really don’t feel sorry for you. If you have gone through this process, then you chose to gamble and take that route, when you could of just bought it. I used to forge a lot, and i know the forges rgn is a real gamble. I do support taking the rgn out of forging it, but not to make it cheaper and more accessible.