Precursor Talk

Precursor Talk

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vunter.6245

Vunter.6245

This may or may not have been discussed; none the less I don’t care I’m bringing it up. This is in regards to everything precursors. It really ugs me that after two years Anets only two viable ways for getting a precursor is to farm for gold and buy it on TP or mystic forge a crap ton of exotics for a minute needle in a hay stack chance for it to drop. I say two viable ways cause I can count on and on and on of how many people I know that have over 4500hrs played over two playing everything in this game multiple chars to 80, cleared all zones, fractals, dungeons, WvWvW, PVP etc… and none of us have looted a precursor. This doesn’t really doesn’t say much about one the games primary end-game reward objective.

Before all you fanboys nitpick this thread and say; well blah blah were getting precursor scavenger hunt. I say to you this, key word were “Getting!!!” we have been getting this since like a few months after launch." it has been pushed back about 2-3 times. Take note here it really says a lot about the matter in which Anet chooses to make it’s content decisions. This addition to the game is one of the biggest requests and time after time it gets ignored. I’m sorry, but your going to ignore one of the largest requests from your community going as far as 2 years?? They know precursors in its current state is a complete an utter failure and they have admitted to this hence the reason for a scavenger hunt. Why would you let this failure fester and bleed for months and years? and not make the decision to solve this failure and turn it into a success? Think about that people this is a failure they ignored for YEARS. It obviously isn’t on there list of important things to change otherwise they would have already.

This brings me round circle to my point these failures are unacceptable to players that have invested lots lots of actual play time and just standing around playtime to not be rewarded for it is a, “Gaping Hole into The Abyss.”

When Anet makes decisions like these when they finally do get added to the game, its too little too late. Also too all you people out there that say I’m too kitten them; I’m not being hard enough. Anet needs to hear the hard truth, someone has to give it to them; because they obviously aren’t getting it from within. The reason for these forums is for hard blunt criticisms. Anyone licking there feet isn’t helping there game to improve.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Hmm interesting topic, personally I havent seen it pop in the forums in about a year or two /s

They are working on it currently, or so have been for the past year, given Colin’s last post about it. Should you wait for it? It is up to you, however, Anet is very aware of the issue and bringing it up every week will probably do very little to haste the content, considering how little attention it has gotten and how little answers Anet has given to it.

Is it a priority? Hardly. There are already 2 ways of getting it, there are things in this game which dont even have one! (some armors like the mascarade for light)

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

There are already 2 ways of getting it, there are things in this game which dont even have one! (some armors like the mascarade for light)

Not a very good argument for them. “You can get our precursor by farming which we are against or you can gamble.” In the mean time they should have looked at there utter horrendous drop-chances. There’s a million things they could have done in between then and the actually scavenger hunt release. They could have even added a flag into the drop chance code that would monitor your game time and once you hit, “x time” your chances of looting goes up drastically and then once looted kicks back to normal crap rates.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

And there are a large amount of people who can count on and on about themelves and people they know who are getting precursors through exactly the ways you mentioned. What you are stating isn’t a hard truth, it is a passionate opinion (passion is good!). It is things like this that help move things forward but throughout your entire post I see nothing resembling a solution to the problem you ahve stated. Does the system need change? I believe it does, but you aren’t doing anyone any favors by stating your blunt criticism. The forums are a place for discussion, and you have effectively shut down discussion of the original post, with the original post. In the future, why don’t you post something constructive containing a solution to the proposed problem? ANET won’t be able to read every thread on every subject the community finds inadequate, but if there are enough of them and more than a few of them contain helpful and appropriate discussion don’t you think that the problem would get addressed sooner (not always the case). Just because it has been a long time does not mean they aren’t adressing it.

Because I believe that your post still does address an active issue, here is my solution to the precursor problem as dictated from a short forum post I wrote on risk vs reward:

One of the things that this game does well is time management. What I mean by that is that when I log in, whether it be for 30mins or 3 hours, I can apply that time towards any goal I have set for myself and make progress. The amount of progress might differ depending on a lot of factors: what I am doing, how long I can spend online, how life is going etc. This is due to a what I perceive as a nice balance of risk vs reward where I can still earn credit even during failure. But for all of avenues for improvement, there is very little risk involved. Regardless of the task you almost never walk away empty handed and will sometimes even get lucky and make out like a bandit! With that being said, there is an area where this is not true: Precursor acquisition. I know people who have been looking for months with nothing to show for it. Right now the system is based on RNG (like a fair portion of the game) but offers no way for players to combat the RNG mechanic. This has led to a lot of anger and wasted gold and hours farming the same content over and over again and playing with the Mystic Forge. For some people they can see their entire fortune washed away in an instant due to RNG, while others can “Get Lucky” and either strike it rich or acquire the item they have been searching for with little investment. This is the one area of the game where risk vs reward shows this much imbalance. In other games, items of epic or legendary quality tended to be found in one of two ways: drop of tokens/quest items or direct drops off of bosses. Both of these are also RNG based and I don’t believe this would solve the problem of precursors. Because the Legendary system revolves mostly around crafting I would propose a new system be put in place where we could use ascended crafting materials to create precursors. I believe the recipe should still be gated behind a small amount of time invested (ten laurels perhaps) and that the items should be account bound (keep the current precursors BoE and make the created token interchangeable with the precursor in the mystic forge recipe). The precursor market would stabilize and the option to create a legendary would be available to more people. The material cost for the precursor should remain steep, however, as the end result is still a legendary. In this way, no matter what you do (outside of dumping rares or exotics into the MF) you will be moving forward towards a legendary weapon if that is one of your goals. Risk vs Reward normalizes as you are able to choose which avenue you will attempt to acquire the precursor or precursor like item and no longer is chance the governing factor.

I hope you are able to make more constructive forum posts in the future, I am willing to bet that you have a quite a few amazing ideas.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

It is things like this that help move things forward but throughout your entire post I see nothing resembling a solution to the problem you have stated.

I don’t need to provide them a solution, since there already going to release the scavenger hunt. Any idea given to them now wont get added, because it takes them months and months and months to implement stuff in this game. Not to mention 98% of the precursor scavenger hunt is complete since they almost released it in feature patch. The only reason why it didn’t was due UI crap.

Say I suggested obtaining a precursor by, “Underwater Basket Weaving Crafting.” and everyone was like kitten i wants the underwater basket weaving." nothing would happen cause it’s pretty much done content wise.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I say it a lot, and I’ll say it again: as long as ANet relies on the Gem Store for income, it is in their better interest to make things extraordinarily hard to get, unless you’re willing to pitch in some real world money for them.

Essentially, precursor scavenger hunt = less money spent on gems->gold for the sake of precursors. It’s unsurprising that it’s not at the top of their to-do list.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

There’s ALMOST NOTHING in this game worth anything that can be EARNED from just playing the game, IMO, the way/direction GW2 is going you can probably expect to see precursors soon to be available in the gem store.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

As long as people will seriously waste hundreds of €/$ to buy gold to buy precursors, you will never see a scavenger hunt, not even with looking glass. If massively, people stop, maybe we will get a CDI in 10 months were the things that were repeated on the matter for 2 years can be repeated once again.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

More whine from the entitled players that think they should have the best with little to no effort.

I’ve got about 5K hours into the game. I’ve made 4 legendary weapons, and had 8 or so precursors drop from forging (a lot of items). I’ve never had a precursor drop from a mob, so I pursued them via the TP, and the forge.

If you’ve been playing this game for 4.5 K hours, and you can’t get it together enough to buy a precursor, you need to stop standing around lion’s arch all day long telling each other how nice your armour looks.

As for the “scavenger hunt”, or crafting a precursor, Anet gave us ascended weapons, that equal the stats of a legendary. That is good enough.

Want a legendary? Work for it. A legendary given out those that whine, and cry cheapen the effort of those that actually deserve one.

(edited by Firebaall.5127)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

More whine from the entitled players that think they should have the best with little to no effort.

I’ve got about 5K hours into the game. I’ve made 4 legendary weapons, and had 8 or so drop from forging (a lot of items). I’ve never had a precursor drop from a mob, so I pursued them via the TP, and the forge.

If you’ve been playing this game for 4.5 K hours, and you can’t get it together enough to buy a precursor, you need to stop standing around lion’s arch all day long telling each other how nice your armour looks.

As for the “scavenger hunt”, or crafting a precursor, Anet gave us ascended weapons, that equal the stats of a legendary. That is good enough.

Want a legendary? Work for it. A legendary given out those that whine, and cry cheapen the effort of those that actually deserve one.

^ this.

I’ve logged about 2.5k hours, had two precursors drop, crafted the one legendary I want and working my way through ascendeds that I need. Asking for hand outs is not the way to go about it. If players play solely to obtain a legendary, what happens when they get it?

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

If precursors are handed out like baby pacifiers, (to stifle the crying of the entitled players) this type of thread will only change in to mass QQing over the price of T6 materials.

100% guaranteed.

You thought the inflation price of the precursors was bad when the wardrobe patch came out? Wait until you see the 2000 gold worth of T6 materials you’ll need when you get your placating precursor.

Spend more time earning your rewards, rather than whining for them.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

I am an old school gamer, and I game to game. I never aimed to get a precursor. I threw lvl 80 golds into the forge once a week to see of I could get a few exotics to use.
I would have preferred it to drop from an enemy.
The Forge IMHO is a bad thing immersion wise. Understand, I play the game, I do not play to amass currencies in bulk at the expense of immersion. If the Forge did not exist as an avenue to aquire precursors, the plethora of them in the world would aloow them to live up to the name Legendary. As it is right now, they are not legendary at all.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

I’ve got about 5K hours into the game. I’ve made 4 legendary weapons, and had 8 or so drop from forging (a lot of items). I’ve never had a precursor drop from a mob, so I pursued them via the TP, and the forge.

^ this.

I’ve logged about 2.5k hours, had two precursors drop, crafted the one legendary I want and working my way through ascendeds that I need. Asking for hand outs is not the way to go about it. If players play solely to obtain a legendary, what happens when they get it?

Both of you anet kissups are missing the point and clearly ahvent read the post. I said farming gold to buy one isn’t a viable option and 99% of my 4.5k hrs wasnt standing around. I also have a legendary; I obtained the precursor by farming gold; which is the dumbest possible way ever to obtain endgame items in any game. Plus you made my point you never had a precursor drop from a mob or any other drop in your 5k hrs played, Point made

I am not asking for handouts; the point im makeing is that the current way of obtaining a precursor is completely stupid and goes against there way of doing things. Anet has officially stated multiple times that they do not like people farming; which I find funny considering that farming gold is pretty much the only “quick” way for pretty much getting everything in this game besides gemstore stuff.

Anet gave us ascended weapons, that equal the stats of a legendary. That is good enough.

This is a stupid response too, cause you don’t get legendary for the stats, you do it for the look.

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

Both of you anet kissups are missing the point and clearly ahvent read the post. I said farming gold to buy one isn’t a viable option and 99% of my 4.5k hrs wasnt standing around. I also have a legendary; I obtained the precursor by farming gold; which is the dumbest possible way ever to obtain endgame items in any game. Plus you made my point you never had a precursor drop from a mob or any other drop in your 5k hrs played, Point made

I am not asking for handouts; the point im makeing is that the current way of obtaining a precursor is completely stupid and goes against there way of doing things. Anet has officially stated multiple times that they do not like people farming; which I find funny considering that farming gold is pretty much the only “quick” way for pretty much getting everything in this game besides gemstore stuff.

So, you obtained the precursor without being stupidly lucky? You had to put the time in and earn it? Say whaaaaat? The godkitten ed horror of it!

Stop expecting the best of the items to fall into your grubby little hands, just because you want it.

Since you missed the idea of working for something, let me highlight the non-welfare idea that since luck didn’t shine on your kitten , you had to work for it. My god, what a concept.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: GlowSticks.9734

GlowSticks.9734

A Legendary is supposed to feel… Legendary.
Deal with it. I’m @ 4.2k hours I’ve gotten 7 from the forge, and 1 from a drop. All of which were not bad, think “The Bard” was the cheapest one I’ve found.

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

A Legendary is supposed to feel… Legendary.
Deal with it. I’m @ 4.2k hours I’ve gotten 7 from the forge, and 1 from a drop. All of which were not bad, think “The Bard” was the cheapest one I’ve found.

How DARE you not role-play on Tarnished Coast and sit in Lion’s Arch, talking for four hours on how pink shoelaces remind you of the time you where in Mesmer school as a young girl.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

So, you obtained the precursor without being stupidly lucky? You had to put the time in and earn it? Say whaaaaat? The godkitten ed horror of it!

Stop expecting the best of the items to fall into your grubby little hands, just because you want it.

Since you missed the idea of working for something, let me highlight the non-welfare idea that since luck didn’t shine on your kitten , you had to work for it. My god, what a concept.

Your missing the concept completely. I’m saying that after 4khrs plus it should have been dropped at least once. Also how am I asking for a handout!!!!! Also saying I’m a kitten to a veteran player makes no sense. Never once I have I said I don’t have gold or lots of ascended stuff and legendaries. I’m saying precursors in current state is broken and dumb. Its a fact that it sucks, hence the reason why its being changed.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

^ this.

I’ve logged about 2.5k hours, had two precursors drop, crafted the one legendary I want

Then you’re in a lucky minority.

Just the other day me and some guildies were chatting in a dungeon run (With around 10,000-15,000 hours between us), and concluded we’d only seen 3 precursors drop between us, of which only one of those dropped for a member of our little group. Ironically the guy who had gotten the drop was also the newest of the players with the least hours clocked.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

Your missing the concept completely. I’m saying that after 4khrs plus it should have been dropped at least once. Also how am I asking for a handout!!!!! Also saying I’m a kitten to a veteran player makes no sense. Never once I have I said I don’t have gold or lots of ascended stuff and legendaries. I’m saying precursors in current state is broken and dumb. Its a fact that it sucks, hence the reason why its being changed.

Let me print out some food stamps for you.

No, you are NOT entitled to a drop merely for participating.

Let me project this on another level. A great example of this argument. The Dodo bird verdict: “Everybody has won, and all must have prizes”. This is from Lewis Carroll’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”.

This implies that all participation of equal merit, deserves equal compensation. This is bullkitten, in case you were wondering; A joke on sanity.

(edited by Firebaall.5127)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

I agree with the op, the problem isn’t just with precursors alone it is a problem with the entire thinking on Anets part with regards to drop rates for everything .there is just no fun in farming with no rewards. They had the perfect system in GW1 , if you really wanted something specific you could go hard and farm for it even if there was a 0.00000000009% chance of getting it.

Gw2 has taken away the feeling of reward for effort in playing the game , and instead replaced it with the Gem shop, which is starting to have its affect on the community, especially with the lack of communication on the precursors and loot, there is a +700 thread on precursors 4 pages back with no reply from anet on the subject, and that is not a good business model to have.

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

I agree with the op, the problem isn’t just with precursors alone it is a problem with the entire thinking on Anets part with regards to drop rates for everything .there is just no fun in farming with no rewards. They had the perfect system in GW1 , if you really wanted something specific you could go hard and farm for it even if there was a 0.00000000009% chance of getting it.

Gw2 has taken away the feeling of reward for effort in playing the game , and instead replaced it with the Gem shop, which is starting to have its affect on the community, especially with the lack of communication on the precursors and loot, there is a +700 thread on precursors 4 pages back with no reply from anet on the subject, and that is not a good business model to have.

Bullkitten.

Send me your mini Panda or Kanaxai then. Send me your GW1 account name, and I’ll meet you somewhere.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

This implies that all participation of equal merit, deserves equal compensation. This is bullkitten, in case you were wondering; A joke on sanity.

Actually, all participation of equal merit does “deserve” equal compensation – That is the very foundation of the concept of fairness.

The issue is how to define/establish equal merit.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

Let me print out some food stamps for you.

No, you are NOT entitled to a drop merely for participating.

Let me project this on another level. A great example of this argument. The Dodo bird verdict: “Everybody has won, and all must have prizes”. This is from Lewis Carroll’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”.

I never ever said get one just for participating, but veteran players should feel a sense of accomplishment after 2 years and massive hardcore playing hours. I’m sorry but little Timmy down the street can farm gold; how is that a great end-game reward??

What I’m saying is precursor drops needs balancing; that is not the same thing as saying everyone should get one.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think you may have missed the announcement where the ‘Precursor Scavenger Hunt’ was scrapped.

The new method of acquisition was to be ‘Precursor Crafting’, and not long ago, that method was announced to be re-worked because of the new Reward structure coming out (probably to do with the new Reward system associated with LW Season Two).

We may hear something new about Precursor acquisition once the new Season begins. /shrug

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

I never ever said get one just for participating, but veteran players should feel a sense of accomplishment after 2 years and massive hardcore playing hours. I’m sorry but little Timmy down the street can farm gold; how is that a great end-game reward??

What I’m saying is precursor drops needs balancing; that is not the same thing as saying everyone should get one.

You ARE calling out for “everyone that wants one” should get it. Outside of incredible luck, a player SHOULD expect to put in some hardcore efforts for the best of the best.. I 100% reject that any player has put in an HONEST effort in can’t attain a legendary.

Crying for handouts, seems to be the norm here. Work for the exceptional, don’t expect it.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

You ARE calling out for “everyone that wants one” should get it. Outside of incredible luck, a player SHOULD expect to put in some hardcore efforts for the best of the best.. I 100% reject that any player has put in an HONEST effort in can’t attain a legendary.

Crying for handouts, seems to be the norm here. Work for the exceptional, don’t expect it.

Troll..Troll..Troll. I 200% reject you as an intelligent poster with responses with any sort of validity. Also do you have dyslexia? I mean its ok if you do it would make a lot of sense since your reading things in my posts that aren’t there

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

Troll..Troll..Troll. I 200% reject you as an intelligent poster with responses with any sort of validity. Also do you have dyslexia? I mean its ok if you do it would make a lot of sense since your reading things in my posts that aren’t there

Instead of proclaiming “troll”, how about you counter? It’s easy to label without merit( which you do). You’re asking guild wars to compensate based on attendance? Loitering? I’m sorry that you and your friends have to work for what they what. Maybe you can solicit social benefits from other players because you don’t feel you’re on the same level as everybody else? No…..you’re not special. How about you work for what you want, like everybody else?

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

@ Firebaall
You sound angry bro! It’s a kittening video game. Some pixels. Art work on a screen. These items don’t exist outside of this little box you are looking at.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that farming gold to get everything you want isn’t and should have never have been the end all, say all route to getting items.

Too many items of exotic level (and many times rare level), involve the tp when creating them. Many items for crafting can’t be reliably farmed, so we are forced to farm gold to buy stuff from the TP. That to me is a fundamental flaw. Even worse now with the dungeon fixes. Instead of making the game about playing to achieve items, it’s about playing to get gold to gain items.

I remember farming IDS’s in GW. Of the many items you could farm, I liked doing that one. Getting that item here will never happen as a drop. I know one person who got that item from the Claw’s chest, I’m sure there are more. Every other person crafted it or just bought it from the tp.

Almost two years in with over 5k hours and I still wonder sometimes if precursors are even on the loot table.

Precursor Talk

Sartharina.3542

What do you mean by “Work for what they want”? Equal Merit deserves equal compensation. We’re trying to decide Equal Merit here.

The hardest part of making a legendary should be in the accomplishments (Measured in the Gifts), not waiting for a blessing from the RNG.

Precursor Talk

Firebaall.5127

@ Firebaall
You sound angry bro! It’s a kittening video game. Some pixels. Art work on a screen. These items don’t exist outside of this little box you are looking at.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that farming gold to get everything you want isn’t and should have never have been the end all, say all route to getting items.

Too many items of exotic level (and many times rare level), involve the tp when creating them. Many items for crafting can’t be reliably farmed, so we are forced to farm gold to buy stuff from the TP. That to me is a fundamental flaw. Even worse now with the dungeon fixes. Instead of making the game about playing to achieve items, it’s about playing to get gold to gain items.

I remember farming IDS’s in GW. Of the many items you could farm, I liked doing that one. Getting that item here will never happen as a drop. I know one person who got that item from the Claw’s chest, I’m sure there are more. Every other person crafted it or just bought it from the tp.

Almost two years in with over 5k hours and I still wonder sometimes if precursors are even on the loot table.

Not angry at all…..amused more than anything. Guild Wars spoon feeds rewards to players, and it was only a matter of time before the infants demanded the top tier of rewards. Any bastion of effort is soon to be overcome by the whining of the masses. Sometimes I think the only thing protecting the top rewards of this game, is the dollar amount required to achieve it.

Just add $500 dollar legendary weapons to the tradepost, and get it over with.

Precursor Talk

Im Mudbone.1437

@ Firebaall

Not angry at all…..amused more than anything. Guild Wars spoon feeds rewards to players, and it was only a matter of time before the infants demanded the top tier of rewards. Any bastion of effort is soon to be overcome by the whining of the masses. Sometimes I think the only thing protecting the top rewards of this game, is the dollar amount required to achieve it.

Just add $500 dollar legendary weapons to the tradepost, and get it over with.

I’d like to ask a few questions that I would really like an honest reply from you about. How many legendaries do you possess(crafted, not bought from the TP, if so, you didn’t EARN them, so, they don’t count), how many precursors have you obtained from playing the game(from a mob/chest drop, not bought from the TP, if so, you didn’t EARN them, so, they don’t count), how many of those precursors were obtained praying to your RNG god(unfortunately, they count, SOME work was involved), how long have you played the game and in this time approximatly how much gold have you acrued(playing the game, not TP flipping, that’s playing the TP, not the game, so, that gold don’t count)?
You may ask me the same if you wish.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

The fact that legendaries are BOUGHT instead of a personal effort through a tedious but rewarding quest and made account bound is mind boggling. They’re called legendaries kitten what’s the point of just buying them—oh right there’s this gem to gold thing that you can do…..oh well……

BUY GEMS NOW ! Did you know you can turn your gems into gold ?!

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

Bullkitten.

Send me your mini Panda or Kanaxai then. Send me your GW1 account name, and I’ll meet you somewhere.

hey mate first thing Kanaxai was the rarest mini released to the public and for an Asian tournament win so it was impossible to get unless someone was willing to sell which not many every did.

And you just confirmed my argument with the mini panda, it was a drop that you knew was rare and how to get it. And yes I tried but was unlucky.

that is my point that GW2 drops are pathetic compared to the GW1, there is nothing special to farm for. There is no current drop that anyone that plays can be proud to have earn’t for the rewarded effort put in. if you seen someone with a mini panda in gw1 you knew kitten well they earn’kitten due to not many were every traded.

Where is the prestige of an item in GW2 that cannot be brought, that takes effort to earn and that holds prestige. if precursors were that item that could be earn’t thru effort of game play and not just brought it would be worth it . but the current drop rate of next to 0 in playing the game for an item is a pathetic joke, especially with the RNG and nerfing to drops.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Truewarlord.8346

Truewarlord.8346

I’ve got about 5K hours into the game. I’ve made 4 legendary weapons, and had 8 or so precursors drop from forging (a lot of items). I’ve never had a precursor drop from a mob, so I pursued them via the TP, and the forge.

Dude, did you read?

OP is not complaining about efforts. The issue here is not how much you have to do, but how it is being done.

We will have to draw for you to understand?

I 100% agree with OP. The current method to get legendary is not good. Not cool. It’s not “legendary”.

Farm gold, trade for exotics, use the forge… That’s the problem. Get it?

The obvious answer to me is “achievements”. Even though it may involve a lot of grind, I believe that a serie of epic achievements would be the correct method to get legendary.

(edited by Truewarlord.8346)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I truly want a better system as well. My hunt for Dusk has been mindblowingly more stressful than I want it to be. Personally, I wish they had implemented some sort of system where certain items were more likely to drop from certain dungeon chests. For example, in GW1 the only way to get DSR was to run Underworld – no other chest would drop it. Froggy Scepter was exclusive to Bogroot’s Growth and Voltaic Spear was pretty exclusive to UW, FoW, Zaishen Chest and Heirophant Chest.

I don’t know how they’d do it in this game but there aren’t any of these named Chests, really. Sure, you get some champ loot and kitten but there’s no dungeon chests or anything that really give you a chance at something amazing. Perhaps it’d offer too much of a surplus to the market, I don’t know. I’m just annoyed that it’s been such a RNG grind for Precursors in this game.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Link Legacy.9278

Link Legacy.9278

I truly want a better system as well. My hunt for Dusk has been mindblowingly more stressful than I want it to be. Personally, I wish they had implemented some sort of system where certain items were more likely to drop from certain dungeon chests. For example, in GW1 the only way to get DSR was to run Underworld – no other chest would drop it. Froggy Scepter was exclusive to Bogroot’s Growth and Voltaic Spear was pretty exclusive to UW, FoW, Zaishen Chest and Heirophant Chest.

^Yes!! this guy gets me.

Precursor Talk

Cuddy.6247

Bullkitten.

hey mate first thing Kanaxai was the rarest mini released to the public and for an Asian tournament win so it was impossible to get unless someone was willing to sell which not many every did.

And you just confirmed my argument with the mini panda, it was a drop that you knew was rare and how to get it. And yes I tried but was unlucky.

that is my point that GW2 drops are pathetic compared to the GW1, there is nothing special to farm for. There is no current drop that anyone that plays can be proud to have earn’t for the rewarded effort put in. if you seen someone with a mini panda in gw1 you knew kitten well they earn’kitten due to not many were every traded.

Where is the prestige of an item in GW2 that cannot be brought, that takes effort to earn and that holds prestige. if precursors were that item that could be earn’t thru effort of game play and not just brought it would be worth it . but the current drop rate of next to 0 in playing the game for an item is a pathetic joke, especially with the RNG and nerfing to drops.

There’s a difference between a rare mini and just poor models of drop rates. Read my above post for understanding. Mini Kanaxai and Panda are novelty items of EXTREME rarity – since they were limited rewards as is and don’t have any means of supply introduction (unlike other items of value). It would be like trying to purchase an Everlasting Henchman Tonic instead of just an Everlasting Hero Tonic. The most comparable items to these things in GW2 are all Account Bound and therefore invaluable (Mini Rytlock is actually all I can think of right now, we haven’t really had any SUPER RARE items like Kanaxai and Panda introduced yet – which we could bring up in another thread, make an armor/weapon design contest and winners get something special).

These items are by no means a measure of luck, skill, wealth or value (well, they kind of are) but they were introduced to the supply through contests and were limited to that. I would personally like to see Legendary Precursors have a better drop model, similar to rare items from GW1 such as DSR, Froggy Scepter and Voltaic Spear – just to name a few.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

@Firebaall

Going to go out on a limb and say that I think players want their effort directed at something other than gold per hour. Look at the gifts that take ore and wood. If I want to make that gift, I can go out and do that myself spending my time gathering. It produces sure fire results.

I want the gift of battle, I go take objectives and kill other players. I need gift of exploration, I go complete the map.

However, when materials that are involved that have no sure fire way of getting them with any amount of certainty, I have to farm gold and am forced to purchase them on the TP. Lodestones, boom…forced. Precursors, boom…forced. Tiered mats, basically forced if you don’t want to spend upteen months getting a stack of this and that.

With the way things are, I could sit here with every component to a legendary except the one that matters for years………and the only way of getting it would be to pay gold or gamble all of your earnings on a lottery which still could mean you get nothing.
Does that sound right to you?

Precursor Talk

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Personally I’m annoyed by it as well, though possibly for different reasons. I personally just don’t like the way the tp can change prices so much, and the fact that the “only” way to get it is through rng (even if you bought it off the tp, someone else got it via rng)

even if it were just an npc that sold the precursors of varying prices of 500-1000g, I would like it more.

Note, I’m not a genius game designer so I’m not saying my idea is the best and must work, but personally I’d like to tie it to the weapon mastery achievements, somehow. it’s take a lot of work but I could see it being a really neat dynamic on obtaining a precursor, and shows that you used that specific weapon to obtain that precursor (might i say you showed “legendary” effort with the specific weapon-of-choice ;P)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: ArkantorXKiller.4362

ArkantorXKiller.4362

What is so “Legendary” about having to buy mats from the tp to create 80 % of a “legendary”. Something needs to be fixed there needs to be a progession system not a system where you can outright just buy everything to make the legendary. I wouldnt even count the gift of battle anymore since everyone got the badges of honor from the chests. People dont want to farm a whole year just to get enough to make gift of magic,might etc. And then still have to get lucky in the forge or even spend thousands of gold or hundreds of real life cash to get the weapon. A ui progression system would be great where we have to go do quests,dungeons, explorer in maps and collect parts for the legendary. That would fix everything and still get people to go out and enjoy the world without running the same dungeons every single day just to farm gold. I hope this will get fixed. It will kitten people off that are selling them for allot of gold but the majority of players quit or get frustrated because there is no fun in making a legendary. You know what we want ArenaNet now go out and fix it please. We are waiting

Precursor Talk

Cuddy.6247

Something needs to be fixed there needs to be a progession system not a system where you can outright just buy everything to make the legendary.

Idk, I think the RNG goldfactor is okay, it’s just…as far as Precursors go, there should be some instance where they can be obtained more specifically with a grind. Like some certain chest that has a better chance of getting them. I would say, perhaps, if they gave each world boss a special chest and Precursor weapons had a 2% drop chance from those chests, it’d incite people to go around doing the world bosses.

Currently, Precursor weapons can come from anywhere and the Mystic Forge – but to balance their rarity, they just have a stupidly low drop chance. In contrast to the kind of drops that were given from, say, the Underworld chest in Guild Wars 1.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Precursor Talk

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

FYI, the scavenger hunt was scrapped for not being economically viable about a year ago.

What they are working on is precursor crafting, which will still require 1000+ gold but will be a goal to work towards instead of having to buy it outright. So if you are waiting for some cheap in-game skill related method you can forget that.

Precursor Talk

Vunter.6245

FYI, the scavenger hunt was scrapped for not being economically viable about a year ago.

What they are working on is precursor crafting, which will still require 1000+ gold but will be a goal to work towards instead of having to buy it outright. So if you are waiting for some cheap in-game skill related method you can forget that.

Im not waiting for anything cheap. Never said I thought it should be cheap. I’m waiting for a viable way to obtain a precursor. something that can be worked towards, like you have goals and steps; and at the end is a precursor.

Not just mindlessly farming for gold or throwing 2000 weapons in the mystic forge which again requires lots of gold at the hopes of a 2% chance.

Precursor Talk

Sartharina.3542

Not just mindlessly farming for gold or throwing 2000 weapons in the mystic forge which again requires lots of gold at the hopes of a 2% chance.

0.79% chance, actually. People keep overstating percentages, thinking small-sounding ones are smaller than they actually are.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Zbirka.9613

Zbirka.9613

About precursors, i thing that there could be possible way

Get a some bigger chance to drop fromdoid some big boss, dungeon aetherblade path (something hard). For example now from triple wurm is small chance of drop ascendent chest, but always one or two drop one of that 150ppl here. Something like that can be nice you have to lear and practise for killing this boss (dungeon)and have bigger chance to get it than normal loot.

Now it a litle bit unfair many ppl play it for two years comleatly know this game and mechanics and didnt get any goodloot. And ppl who play this game few weaks dont know what to do have the same chance of get it (random drop from moobs). And they could sell it for 1k gold and there are so happy but player who play it many mounts have to farm dungeos like crazy man for buy it. For me it isnt fair. But this is only game and life isnt fair too.

Last thig, now if you want legendary the best way how to get golds are dungeons. But there is only 8 every with minimum3 path. And you have to do it over and over every day. As i sad prefer other ways of geting gold and items other ways, more dungeons more big bosses (tequatl, triple wurm)or something new.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: serapheles.5409

serapheles.5409

I don’t know how they’d do it in this game but there aren’t any of these named Chests, really. Sure, you get some champ loot and kitten but there’s no dungeon chests or anything that really give you a chance at something amazing. Perhaps it’d offer too much of a surplus to the market, I don’t know. I’m just annoyed that it’s been such a RNG grind for Precursors in this game.

They actually already have this. Final Rest is an example of an item that drops out of a specific chest.

The Random Number Gods are nothing if not predictable.
Crafting is designed for gear accessibility, not profit.

Precursor Talk

Im Mudbone.1437

They actually already have this. Final Rest is an example of an item that drops out of a specific chest.

Final Rest is the “End Chest” from doing the Shadow Behemoth event in Queensdale, I have gotten 9 {:-þ in the 2 years GW2 has been around.

Precursor Talk

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

I just wish they would make it a token that would drop so I can get the one I need when I am lucky enough for one to drop instead of being hassled with selling it and all that.

-Ironcurtain