Precursor crafting

Precursor crafting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vex.3021

Vex.3021

So last year on july 18th Anet posted this

We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013. Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

Any news about this or will never happen ?

Precursor crafting

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They started working out how to do it, but the introduction of the new living story season and the log wasn’t really compatible with what they were doing, so they’re back to the drawing board so to speak.

There’s no set date for completion.

Precursor crafting

Vex.3021

They started working out how to do it, but the introduction of the new living story season and the log wasn’t really compatible with what they were doing, so they’re back to the drawing board so to speak.

There’s no set date for completion.

Did they posted anything official since july 18th 2013 about this, if so can you link it ?

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

I read the post, but I don’t remember which thread or section it was in. It was posted in a thread, in response to a question. I wish the search function worked.

Precursor crafting

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

Precursor crafting

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Aww…thank you! Always happy to track down a Dev post. =)

Precursor crafting

Vex.3021

Dunno how often they release feature patches but i think is like twice per year and after i read that post it sounds like we wont see anything new about precursor crafting til next feature patch that will prolly come at the end of the year, by that time i’ll prolly play some other mmo.
Is sad to see it takes so long to get anything done in this game.

(edited by Vex.3021)

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

We don’t know how often they’re planning on doing feature packs yet. There’s only been one so far, and that was April. That was the first.

Precursor crafting

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

And then you guys wonder how come the devs don’t post more often…

By the way, the idea of having to craft a legendary seriously needs to be dropped.
I’ve been playing since release and I don’t have any, because I don’t like any of them. I even got a precursor to drop on Jormag and I just sold the thing.

What I’d love to see is a completely new set of legendaries, made to be realistic weapons twice the polygon count, larger skin, scabbard on GS that woukd actually stay on the back
I can imagine these being acquired with 400 laurels, why?
Laurels are something you have to work towards everyday, no RNG, no gold sink, no market manipulation, no credit card short cuts and generally weasel around for a legendary.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Precursor crafting

Posted by: Yujin.1785

Yujin.1785

By the way, the idea of having to craft a legendary seriously needs to be dropped.
I’ve been playing since release and I don’t have any, because I don’t like any of them. I even got a precursor to drop on Jormag and I just sold the thing.

Uhh… no. Dropping it is a bad idea. Some people have been waiting since the Lost Shores when they were formulating an idea for hunting precursors. This means that some people have almost been waiting for 2 years to change the means of obtaining precursors so it’s understandable why you’d get such a reaction from some players.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

Uhh… no. Dropping it is a bad idea. Some people have been waiting since the Lost Shores when they were formulating an idea for hunting precursors. This means that some people have almost been waiting for 2 years to change the means of obtaining precursors so it’s understandable why you’d get such a reaction from some players.

I don’t think the suggestion here is to drop the precursor crafting. I think the poster is saying people should drop the idea of having to have a legendary at all. He’s saying you can enjoy this game and never get a legendary. You don’t really need one to do anything.

Some people have made this game about the legendary and nothing else. For those people, they’re seriously gimping their enjoyment of the game, because they’re basing their entire enjoyment of the game on obtaining a single item.

Of course, no one can tell anyone else how to play, but if you stop thinking in terms of I must have a legendary and just put that in the back of your mind as a very long term goal, the game doesn’t really change.

My son got his legendary and stopped playing. Shrugs.

Precursor crafting

Yujin.1785

I don’t think the suggestion here is to drop the precursor crafting. I think the poster is saying people should drop the idea of having to have a legendary at all. He’s saying you can enjoy this game and never get a legendary. You don’t really need one to do anything.

Some people have made this game about the legendary and nothing else. For those people, they’re seriously gimping their enjoyment of the game, because they’re basing their entire enjoyment of the game on obtaining a single item.

Of course, no one can tell anyone else how to play, but if you stop thinking in terms of I must have a legendary and just put that in the back of your mind as a very long term goal, the game doesn’t really change.

How should I say this… It sort of gives you a more concrete direction in order to reach that long term goal if there were some other method other than the RNG toilet. I know some people say farm gold and just buy off of the TP but it just doesn’t suit a lot of people to be doing that.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

How should I say this… It sort of gives you a more concrete direction in order to reach that long term goal if there were some other method other than the RNG toilet. I know some people say farm gold and just buy off of the TP but it just doesn’t suit a lot of people to be doing that.

Oh, I absolutely think that we need a better way to get precusors that have nothing to do with RNG. I’ve said this for ages. It’s long, long overdue.

I never said otherwise. I was just saying I think that the post I was replying to misinterpreted the post before it. I don’t think anyone is saying Anet should abandon precursor crafting.

Precursor crafting

Yujin.1785

Oh, I absolutely think that we need a better way to get precusors that have nothing to do with RNG. I’ve said this for ages. It’s long, long overdue.

I never said otherwise. I was just saying I think that the post I was replying to misinterpreted the post before it. I don’t think anyone is saying Anet should abandon precursor crafting.

We’re on the same page then. I guess the other point that I wanted to say on the first post is that people that are ranting on the forums about precursor crafting have a good reason for doing so, especially if they’ve been playing since launch.

Long overdue feels like an understatement as of this point.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

We’re on the same page then. I guess the other point that I wanted to say on the first post is that people that are ranting on the forums about precursor crafting have a good reason for doing so, especially if they’ve been playing since launch.

I don’t think most people think about how very important this change has to be handled. It’s going to affect more than just precusor prices. It might very well drive T6 mat prices sky high, for example, as more people will need them once more people have precusors. We could end up with a situation where all the T6 mats you need will become as expensive as a precusor is now, or even more.

Anet had something started, but changes to the game made what they were working on not viable.

I’m pretty sure the angry people would be even more angry if they could craft their precusor only to find out they couldn’t afford to make their legendary anyway.

This is not a quick fix, no matter what people think. And since the rest of the game is in the process of changing, the fix has to be very carefully handled.

Precursor crafting

Yujin.1785

I don’t think most people think about how very important this change has to be handled. It’s going to affect more than just precusor prices. It might very well drive T6 mat prices sky high, for example, as more people will need them once more people have precusors. We could end up with a situation where all the T6 mats you need will become as expensive as a precusor is now, or even more.

Anet had something started, but changes to the game made what they were working on not viable.

I’m pretty sure the angry people would be even more angry if they could craft their precusor only to find out they couldn’t afford to make their legendary anyway.

This is not a quick fix, no matter what people think. And since the rest of the game is in the process of changing, the fix has to be very carefully handled.

Yeah, there are fears about that but I’d rather have that than our current system. It’s also the fact they keep removing farms for those mats as well (e.g. DR on killing monsters, lowering the amount of area you can farm barracudas on Southsun on the feature patch, spider nerf on Orr a long time ago, etc.).

Personally as well, I don’t think T6 would go up by a lot. We’re already spending T5 and T6s fine mats crafting rare and exotic weapons just to throw into the forge.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

Yeah, there are fears about that but I’d rather have that than our current system. It’s also the fact they keep removing farms for those mats as well (e.g. DR on killing monsters, lowering the amount of area you can farm barracudas on Southsun on the feature patch, spider nerf on Orr a long time ago, etc.).

Personally as well, I don’t think T6 would go up by a lot. We’re already spending T5 and T6s fine mats crafting rare and exotic weapons just to throw into the forge.

I’m only using one possible example. There are many things to consider, many I don’t even know about. The point is, you can’t just add it without very careful testing. They started adding it and a change to the game made what they were going to add unusable.

It’s unfortunate for sure. But those who just want it at all costs, they might be opening a can of wurms that can’t easily be closed.

Precursor crafting

Yujin.1785

Funny you should mention about opening those cans. I think they’ve done that already on some portions of the game like PvP when they implemented skyham and people abused the map to farm rank points; consequently, rank as an indicator for experience was no longer the case.

Yeah, I’m down for opening another can for the amount of time spent waiting. It could be a can of whoop-kitten for all we know.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

I’d much rather have them do it right. It’s not like you can’t play the game without a legendary. Mind you, even if we wait, there’s no guarantee it will be done right. But if it’s rushed the chances for real issues is huge.

Precursor crafting

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Devs will avoid this post like a virus. "Best not to dive into stuff that we screwed up on " . Am I right, Anet?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Precursor crafting

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Devs will avoid this post like a virus. "Best not to dive into stuff that we screwed up on " . Am I right, Anet?

If Dev non-participation means anything, I guess those wanting mounts or dueling are definitely out of luck. Same for GvG, housing, and any of 1000 other suggestions. Lol.

Precursor crafting

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Dunno how often they release feature patches but i think is like twice per year and after i read that post it sounds like we wont see anything new about precursor crafting til next feature patch that will prolly come at the end of the year, by that time i’ll prolly play some other mmo.
Is sad to see it takes so long to get anything done in this game.

I was expecting this post. I would call it “cleverly” inflammatory, but the thread hasn’t really exploded. It just looks like two people made friends.

Precursor crafting

Vayne.8563

I don’t know why you’d think they’d avoid this post like the plague. There’s nothing to say on this topic. It was supposed to be in the game, it got pushed back and changed were made to how rewards were delivered which made what they were planning to do undoable. They’ve already said it in another thread.

Devs don’t post in most threads. So if they don’t post in this one, maybe they’re not avoiding it. Maybe they’re simply you know, working on making a game, which is what devs are supposed to be doing. Nothing in their job description says they should be answering any thread. Developers are not community managers.