Precursor crafting. I don't get it . . .

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

forum bug? Never saw this before…

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Do me a favor, recite the word “legendary” 1000 times before bed each night and contemplate what it means

I wish the good folk at ANet had done that, because nothing about the weapons they call “Legendary” has anything to do with the meaning of that word.

Posted by: Arrowofchaos.1254

Arrowofchaos.1254

oh good god, people like to be spoon-fed everything these days. There’s a reason legendary weapon being called ‘legendary’: it’s rare, it’s worth alot of effort, else they are no different than the starter weapons if everyone has one.
Ok, first you were yelling “it’s too rare, give a way to make one, I’m ENTITLED to a precursor”. Now you got a sure way to make one, now it’s “NOT FUN, TOO HARD!” , give me a break. If you are not willing to do all the work, then you are not deserved to wield one, simple as that. Do me a favor, recite the word “legendary” 1000 times before bed each night and contemplate what it means and then make a demand for your… entitlement.
Regarding the TP, no one forces you to use it. If other people do it the TP way, it’s their problem. You have the free will of doing it the “right” way. Don’t make the fake argument that you are forced to use the TP to make a legendary. If you don’t make a legendary effort, no legendary for you. Stop being a spoiled kid at everything, be glad that there is a SURE way at all that you can obtain one without touching the TP. If you resort to the quick way with the TP, it’s your own free-will and laziness, don’t blame on the game mechanics.

Very few people are complaining about the difficulty. In fact, it’s not really difficult, it just costs either a lot of time (not really an issue) or a lot of money (kind of an issue). It’s certainly not difficult for me to run around a map farming nodes or generating gold, but the fact that somebody could just bust out their credit card to exchange gems to gold just to bypass the huge gold gates in the precursor crafting sections really devalues the journey.

You are rewarded with a precursor largely because of persistence, not skill. This is what many are upset by. I’m irked by it too, but I’m still logging in every day to craft my ascended mats because I am going to make at least some of these precursors. I just sincerely hope it doesn’t end up taking years to just make a couple of them though. Don’t forget, you still have to craft the legendaries afterward which take a fair amount of time and gold too.

^this. I don’t think anyone here who are complaining about the ones complaining have seen the collections or the recipes. They’re not difficult, they’re not as advertised. The only difficulty out of the collections (just the collections) is that a lot of them are rng drops and then the difficulty of the recipe is that they’re either timegated or expensive. and what part of that equates to “a legendary journey” if I’m basically doing exactly what I would have done to buy the pre on the tp just with a kittenton more running around. I already have to do that with the rest of incinerator for the t6 and the gift of, I had to do that with the other 4 legendaries I made, I was told this was going to be different and, well, fun, but no this is exactly the same mat grind that is giving me less and less incentive to do it and just buy the stupid thing like I always have been.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Wow, all you people complaining about the mats needed to craft precursors. Do you have any idea what’s needed to make a legendary?

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Very few people are complaining about the difficulty. In fact, it’s not really difficult, it just costs either a lot of time (not really an issue) or a lot of money (kind of an issue). It’s certainly not difficult for me to run around a map farming nodes or generating gold, but the fact that somebody could just bust out their credit card to exchange gems to gold just to bypass the huge gold gates in the precursor crafting sections really devalues the journey.

You are rewarded with a precursor largely because of persistence, not skill. This is what many are upset by. I’m irked by it too, but I’m still logging in every day to craft my ascended mats because I am going to make at least some of these precursors. I just sincerely hope it doesn’t end up taking years to just make a couple of them though. Don’t forget, you still have to craft the legendaries afterward which take a fair amount of time and gold too.

Exactly. I don’t mind putting a lot of time and effort into legendaries; give me 1000 challenges to do and I wouldn’t mind taking the time to do them.

Just don’t make me go around mining ores, it’s ridiculous…

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Wow, all you people complaining about the mats needed to craft precursors. Do you have any idea what’s needed to make a legendary?

Going by the current prices, it’s cheaper to buy the pre-cursor straight up from the TP and save 400+ gold than do this legendary journey. Then some say, well just collect mats and it’s free! But it’s not, if you sell those mats and use proceeds to buy a pre-cur…again you will be saving 400+ gold. So what’s the point I wonder?

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

But we want everything being handed to us on a silver platter!! It’s not enough that we don’t have to wait for the precurser of our choice to drop, no!! PvE players of this game.

Anyway: Precursers have already been in game and the vanilla ones are still obtainable in the same way ever – if your legendary journey was completely free, no one would buy precursers anymore and the worth of your own legendary would be devalued.

Edit: Grammar

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I have all the mats to make Bolt from playing GW2 for 3 years.
Yes, I do got 200 charged core from normal playing of 3 years.
Only very few of my mats are from TP.
The only thing I lack is the precusor Zap, which I refrain from buying off TP because I falsely believe Anet will implant a better system to obtain it.

Turns out it just another gold sink that ask for unreasonable mats that NO-ONE in their right mind could have stacked before hand (Who would stack 10k iron ores and 5k platinum ores in their bank? It doesn’t even fit the slot). From realistic point of view, I should have way over 10k iron ores if I’m able to stack them in my bank before-hand. Now everyone has to suffer for the market inflation due to abnormally high demand, and cost way more than it should.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

But we want everything being handed to us on a silver platter!! It’s not enough that we don’t have to wait for the precurser of our choice to drop, no!! PvE players of this game.

Anyway: Precursers have already been in game and the vanilla ones are still obtainable in the same way ever – if your legendary journey was completely free, no one would buy precursers anymore and the worth of your own legendary would be devalued.

Edit: Grammar

You probably didn’t even read the post, and completely clueless about this crafting system at all. You either bought your precursor a long time ago (which is the right decision), or didn’t care about making legendary anyway.

Please, if you can’t provide a valid argument and try to justify yourself by falsely derail other people’s points of view, just leave this topic. It is none of your concern anyway.

Jana.6831

You probably didn’t even read the post, and completely clueless about this crafting system at all. You either bought your precursor a long time ago (which is the right decision), or didn’t care about making legendary anyway.

Please, if you can’t provide a valid argument and try to justify yourself by falsely derail other people’s points of view, just leave this topic. It is none of your concern anyway.

I did read it, but I guess you don’t know what you’re asking for – and yeah – I did know long ago that this “legendary journey” wouldn’t be a pleasure – cause there’s was no way to make it completely free with precursers already being in game and with them being sellable.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

If you dont want to work for your precursor in game then work out of game take out your card buy gems convert to gold and buy your stuff of the tp.

You actualy got more options now do your legendary journey travel around gathering materials yourself or pay for others to do so third get lucky.
Instead of before were it was get lucky or pay others who got lucky.

Posted by: Chpoit.6498

Chpoit.6498

The underwater ones are fun and cheap to do.

Posted by: abode.2549

abode.2549

If you dont want to work for your precursor in game then work out of game take out your card buy gems convert to gold and buy your stuff of the tp.

You actualy got more options now do your legendary journey travel around gathering materials yourself or pay for others to do so third get lucky.

i think you’re not getting the point, i’m just gonna copy/paste what fixit.7189 said above
“Going by the current prices, it’s cheaper to buy the pre-cursor straight up from the TP and save 400+ gold than do this legendary journey. Then some say, well just collect mats and it’s free! But it’s not, if you sell those mats and use proceeds to buy a pre-cur…again you will be saving 400+ gold. So what’s the point I wonder?”

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

i think you’re not getting the point, i’m just gonna copy/paste what fixit.7189 said above
“Going by the current prices, it’s cheaper to buy the pre-cursor straight up from the TP and save 400+ gold than do this legendary journey. Then some say, well just collect mats and it’s free! But it’s not, if you sell those mats and use proceeds to buy a pre-cur…again you will be saving 400+ gold. So what’s the point I wonder?”

Its the point that some people wanta journy to collect their own materials and craft the precursors.
If you dont want that then by all means buy it of the tp, it wasent asked give us precursors cheaper it was asked give us a sure fire way to earn our specific precursor and they have.

Jana.6831

People put their precursers on the TP before HoT came out, so prices will adjust eventually.

Posted by: abode.2549

abode.2549

Its the point that some people wanta journy to collect their own materials and craft the precursors.
If you dont want that then by all means buy it of the tp, it wasent asked give us precursors cheaper it was asked give us a sure fire way to earn our specific precursor and they have.

a sure fair way to get your precursor was already there, go farm mats, gold, etc… until you can buy it off the TP.
what you’re talking about wasn’t the OP’s problem, the OP was asking for a more engaging way to obtain the precursor. for example, instead of “collect 1500 x ore”, go kill a boss or solo something.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Yeah, 100 charged lodestones (for some). You can realistically only get them by grinding gold.

Devata.6589

oh good god, people like to be spoon-fed everything these days. There’s a reason legendary weapon being called ‘legendary’: it’s rare, it’s worth alot of effort, else they are no different than the starter weapons if everyone has one.
Ok, first you were yelling “it’s too rare, give a way to make one, I’m ENTITLED to a precursor”. Now you got a sure way to make one, now it’s “NOT FUN, TOO HARD!” , give me a break. If you are not willing to do all the work, then you are not deserved to wield one, simple as that. Do me a favor, recite the word “legendary” 1000 times before bed each night and contemplate what it means and then make a demand for your… entitlement.
Regarding the TP, no one forces you to use it. If other people do it the TP way, it’s their problem. You have the free will of doing it the “right” way. Don’t make the fake argument that you are forced to use the TP to make a legendary. If you don’t make a legendary effort, no legendary for you. Stop being a spoiled kid at everything, be glad that there is a SURE way at all that you can obtain one without touching the TP. If you resort to the quick way with the TP, it’s your own free-will and laziness, don’t blame on the game mechanics.

^this. I don’t think anyone here who are complaining about the ones complaining have seen the collections or the recipes. They’re not difficult, they’re not as advertised. The only difficulty out of the collections (just the collections) is that a lot of them are rng drops and then the difficulty of the recipe is that they’re either timegated or expensive. and what part of that equates to “a legendary journey” if I’m basically doing exactly what I would have done to buy the pre on the tp just with a kittenton more running around. I already have to do that with the rest of incinerator for the t6 and the gift of, I had to do that with the other 4 legendaries I made, I was told this was going to be different and, well, fun, but no this is exactly the same mat grind that is giving me less and less incentive to do it and just buy the stupid thing like I always have been.

Honestly, yeah I am going here by what people say, have not started working on it. For me the discussion itself is more important (as it shows many people prefer getting items themselves over grinding gold to buy) and even if it would not be so bad for precursors it’s still true for many other things in the game.

In fact I am happy with them implementing the precursor crafting as it’s at least a step in the right direction while it still night not be perfect.

RNG drops are no problem.. If there still is a good way to get them (that dungeon drops it, or that boss, or that event) and these type of things you need 1 of. I still think mats are something that should always be easy to get as else farming mats will be boring. The rarity of an item should not come from mats but from single items like a recipe that is very hard to get (but doable) or any type of precursor.

Time gating is always bad imho as it’s fake and in the end does not do anything, it just delays it. And expensive recipe’s. Well that depends, again if you can pretty easily farms the mats and take a long time for a recipe but it is in fact reasonably doable to get that yourself (not to absurd RNG resulting in you having to buy the recipe). Now if it’s expensive because you have to use an items you can only buy for gold (like the example I gave with making bags) then it’s extremely bad.

Basically it’s easy to easy to summarize it. Can you life from the land in a reasonable and doable way and also without grinding for ages to get 100 of x (as mats like that become a currency) then it’s good.

Are you forced to grind for some currency because it’s not possible to get some of the required items reality / doable in the world (or because they become the currency, as happens with hard to get mats) then it’s bad.

And that holds true for getting any items, no matter what. Precursor, legendary, wings, skins, gliders, weapons, toys, mini’s it does not matter.

Want to make it hard to get, make that one item hard (but doable) to get, or place something behind challenging content or behind a (extreem) long quest-chain.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I feel like crafting a precursor is more costly than buying a precursor, rofl. Plus you still have to buy from TP, the blood, scales etc… so it’s totally pointless.

I also dislike the fact that we have to do PvP to craft the second generation precursors, like I don’t play PvP… so being forced to play PvP to make a precursor is really irritating.

Many WvW’ers feel the same way about needing to do PvE for legendaries. It makes you wonder why they don’t have a system in place:

A) Can obtain all the current legendaries by some means in a specific game mode whether it be PvE, PvP, or WvW.
B) Each game mode has it’s own set of legendaries where are one can only play that game mode to obtain it.

Either way, which ever mode someone plays, has a realistic shot at getting one without throwing money at the TP. Those who know WvW well, it is not a gold mine, so buying a legendary off the TP via WvW loot isn’t feasible.

Edit – Maybe what Anet should do seeing as they are so keen on forcing everyone to play all the game modes..

Make a legendary only equippable once someone hits Platinum in WvW (2545 rank). Now watching the whining begin; even those whom love to use the argument of “you just want stuff handed to you now”. Lets see how you like spending say 1-2 years in a game mode you may not like to even equip your legendary. The arguments you use can be turned against you pretty quick.

(edited by DeadlySynz.3471)

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

a sure fair way to get your precursor was already there, go farm mats, gold, etkittenil you can buy it off the TP.
what you’re talking about wasn’t the OP’s problem, the OP was asking for a more engaging way to obtain the precursor. for example, instead of “collect 1500 x ore”, go kill a boss or solo something.

Of course people want that, because “killing a boss” or “soloing something” is incredibly easy for the vast majority of this game’s PvE content. Just zerg down a bunch of open world events, solo a few champions, maybe kill some fractals bosses, and expect to get a legendary out of it.

Legendary Armor components are going to be rewarded through raids, which fits with everyone’s claim that they’re fine with the process of earning these things taking awhile as long as it involves engaging in skillful content rather than ruling the TP. But I’m going to predict right now that a large number of people making this claim will also end up complaining about not being able to get their legendary armor through easier/soloable content. Because it’s not really about the TP, it’s about the new method not being easier than the previous method. If Precursor crafting involved killing some 75+ difficulty fractals bosses I guarantee a lot of people would still be complaining.

(edited by Ehra.5240)

Posted by: Kyrne.1590

Kyrne.1590

On topic. What do we do with all the stuff we collected for teir 1?

Can we just vendor them?

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I have to say the new crafting is disappointing because it doesn’t fill a niche. In spite of the argument that it fills a non RNG way of getting a precursor, we already had a non RNG way of getting a precursor, and the existing way is easier and cheaper time and effort wise than the new way. I think that’s the biggest complaint, people wanted an epic quest line that didn’t feel like a repetitive grind, the way collecting gold to buy a precursor does. Instead, they got a new grind that’s even longer. Not only is it longer, but the only way to speed it up is by doing the old grind instead and substitute gold farming for material farming. It’s just disappointing from beginning to end. If they had balanced the time cost of the new precursor crafting against the time cost of simply farming SW for the gold to buy it I don’t think there would be nearly as many complaints. Instead the question becomes, do I want to spend my time farming SW to buy a precursor, or do I want do a quest and farm SW to speed up that quest as much as possible, or do I want to just do the quest and collecting and ignore the TP no matter how long it takes. The problem is that the three aren’t comparable in amount of effort and time, but all have the exact same reward. Currently, you are going to be involved in a unpleasant grind no matter which option you choose, and one of them, farming the gold, turns out to be the least tedious of them. I know that I was hoping for something else. An epic world spanning quest, that felt legendary, and had a legendary reward at the end. But nope, legendary grind, worse than the old legendary grind. Lots of potential wasted.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

Yeah, 100 charged lodestones (for some). You can realistically only get them by grinding gold.

I think a lot of people don’t know just how much more gold u need, after u get precursor… 100 charged lodestones is nothing. If all I needed for legendary was 100 charged lodestones and precursor, I’d have 15 legendaries by now… Precursor is not even half of legendary, not even close.

Kind of happy how prec hunt turned out. But I also knew this would happen. People expected it will be bunch of running around, killing some silly weird bosses, dancing and playing pranks…
Also I don’t understand obsession with legendary weapon. I mean its just one skin in a game. GW2 game is full of beautiful, rare, amazing, different skins for every taste. If u don’t have it in you to grind, why just not get any other skin? Why u guys stubbornly want legendary?

Legendary wont make u a better player, a guy with ugliest wooden sword can beat any legendary player if he has skills. Go to spvp and see for yourself. And in pve u can just get exotic or ascendant weapons which are super cheap. People going crazy over hand full of skins in game that literally filled with amazing skins, 1000s of skins… I will never understand this.

Gunnar’s Hold

Devata.6589

I think a lot of people don’t know just how much more gold u need, after u get precursor… 100 charged lodestones is nothing. If all I needed for legendary was 100 charged lodestones and precursor, I’d have 15 legendaries by now… Precursor is not even half of legendary, not even close.

Kind of happy how prec hunt turned out. But I also knew this would happen. People expected it will be bunch of running around, killing some silly weird bosses, dancing and playing pranks…
Also I don’t understand obsession with legendary weapon. I mean its just one skin in a game. GW2 game is full of beautiful, rare, amazing, different skins for every taste. If u don’t have it in you to grind, why just not get any other skin? Why u guys stubbornly want legendary?

Legendary wont make u a better player, a guy with ugliest wooden sword can beat any legendary player if he has skills. Go to spvp and see for yourself. And in pve u can just get exotic or ascendant weapons which are super cheap. People going crazy over hand full of skins in game that literally filled with amazing skins, 1000s of skins… I will never understand this.

You do understand that was an example. I also know it involves more than those charged lodestones. The thing is that there is no resendable / doable way to get those lodestones other than grinding gold.

You also need to buy crystals that cost about 1 gold and you can only buy (I think you could also get them by doing SAB, but not at this moment).

Not sure if there is a decent way to farm Globs of Ectoplasm?

Some of the T6 materials you cannot farm (maybe that got better with HoT, have not tested that yet).

You might also need Unidentified Dyes, but where to farm those? As far as I know they can drop from many places (so will end up on the TP) but there are no real ways to in any reasonable rate farm them.

For those things the only reasonable way to get them is to grind gold and buy them.

Same is true for many items (so the complaint is bigger than legendaries, and some people care more about skins that about stats) in this games, from gem-store items to items you craft yourself. And that is the complaint. It’s not that it’s hard, or that it takes long or that it requires a lot of effort. Those things are to be expected.

The problem is that for many items, grinding gold is a requirement, the only viable / reasonable option. And that is the complaint.

I am also happy with the precursor crafting (It’s for me one of the important elements of HoT, in combination with many difference that should reduce this gold-grind requirement), but if it’s true that there are items required that still require you to grind gold to buy them, the complains about it are also valid.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

did that guys just said that ascended is cheap ??

you WUT mate ?

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Jana.6831

I am also happy with the precursor crafting (It’s for me one of the important elements of HoT, in combination with many difference that should reduce this gold-grind requirement), but if it’s true that there are items required that still require you to grind gold to buy them, the complains about it are also valid.

(I have said it before)
The only way to make you not grind would’ve been if precursers had never been tradeable at all – and at best never been loot. As in the end a thief main might end up with 4 GS precursers. So what should’ve been in game from the start to prevent you from grinding would’ve been the legendary journey as a LS – and I kind of guess that was a bit much to ask for – so in the end what should’ve been so no one had to grind: No legendaries at all.
I think the journey as you (and maybe I as well) want it will come withthe second set of legendaries, right? Not too informed about HoT as I’m not that much into pve and have the legendaries I wanted.

Devata.6589

(I have said it before)
The only way to make you not grind would’ve been if precursers had never been tradeable at all – and at best never been loot. As in the end a thief main might end up with 4 GS precursers. So what should’ve been in game from the start to prevent you from grinding would’ve been the legendary journey as a LS – and I kind of guess that was a bit much to ask for – so in the end what should’ve been so no one had to grind: No legendaries at all.
I think the journey as you (and maybe I as well) want it will come withthe second set of legendaries, right? Not too informed about HoT as I’m not that much into pve and have the legendaries I wanted.

Well I also think that it was bad that Legendaries where tradable, when I found that out 3 years ago I was like WTF? Precursors should have a system like now and should indeed also have been account-bound. It just made no sense that they were tradable from a game-play perspective. Luckily Anet eventually came to that same conclusion and made the new ones account-bound. I also agree they cannot now make the first ones account bound as well.

However I disagree that only that part is the problem. That part completely devalues the game-play value of the item, and you solve that by making is account-bound.

But that is separated from the requirement to grind gold because you need materials you can only (realistically or factually) buy for gold instead of going for them yourself in any reasonable way.

These are two separated, while also related problem.

Making Legendaries and precursors means you know the person did the work himself. Still, if grinding gold to get all the mats is an option or even required it does not say much. He did not have to complete hard challenge, he could just as well just hang around in Silverwaste all time. If the hunt would be implemented like that’s (as far as I know it’s not, it also requires items you have to get yourself).

But then there still is the complain that people need to grind gold for some of the ingredients because there is no viable option to get them directly.

So that are different problems with different reasons that have different solutions.

So I agree with what you say if it comes to the game-play-value. But I also see this other problem of where people don’t like it to grind gold to buy items, because there is no good way to get those items themselves.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Sadly, ANET has a history of making things that should be fun into thinly-veiled, flavorless gold- and/or time-sinks.

And you would prefer?
I mean you can get a corresponding item fast, too. The type is called Exotic, and is has virtually the same power as the legendary, just looks less snazzy.

I wish the good folk at ANet had done that, because nothing about the weapons they call “Legendary” has anything to do with the meaning of that word.

Yet anyone who played other MMOs before will immediately recognize what named weapons of the rarest rarity type mean, and be familiar with the acquisition process. So… success, then?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Jana.6831

Well I also think that it was bad that Legendaries where tradable, when I found that out 3 years ago I was like WTF? Precursors should have a system like now and should indeed also have been account-bound. It just made no sense that they were tradable from a game-play perspective. Luckily Anet eventually came to that same conclusion and made the new ones account-bound. I also agree they cannot now make the first ones account bound as well.

I agree on legendaries and explained the problem with non tradeable precursers – I don’t want a GS, I want a dagger. So I end up filling my bank with stuff I don’t want. I guess that’s why they were tradeable. No idea why legendaries are.

However I disagree that only that part is the problem. That part completely devalues the game-play value of the item, and you solve that by making is account-bound.

Not sure if I got you right, but I tried to explain it above: I’m pretty sure they hadn’t had the resources to make a legendary journey at launch.

The rest of what you wrote is an idealization of what legendaries should be, but again: Then they should’ve been “journeys” all along and if anet hadn’t had the resources to make them right at launch, then the only possible solution would’ve been to make them a) drops, b) never get them into the game (since I bet it takes quite a bit to create challenging unique stories for 20? weapons) – what would you prefer?

But since we already have precursers/legendaries in game and a lot of you wanted a “journey” this is the best what “you” could get.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I’m not asking for a Legendary/[insert rare item here] today. But I don’t want it five months from now, either.

When does waiting becomes waiting for too long? That’s the question. There’s a boundary where the whole experience becomes off-putting.

Yeah, seems reasonable to me. The thing is, from the evidence, it looks like Anet may believe it’s supposed to take far longer. I don’t know what their number is. 6 months? 9 months? A year? Two? Do they have an average?

long enough to spend a kittenload on gems and convert to gold, then visit the TP….

Devata.6589

I agree on legendaries and explained the problem with non tradeable precursers – I don’t want a GS, I want a dagger. So I end up filling my bank with stuff I don’t want. I guess that’s why they were tradeable. No idea why legendaries are.

Not sure if I got you right, but I tried to explain it above: I’m pretty sure they hadn’t had the resources to make a legendary journey at launch.

The rest of what you wrote is an idealization of what legendaries should be, but again: Then they should’ve been “journeys” all along and if anet hadn’t had the resources to make them right at launch, then the only possible solution would’ve been to make them a) drops, b) never get them into the game (since I bet it takes quite a bit to create challenging unique stories for 20? weapons) – what would you prefer?

But since we already have precursers/legendaries in game and a lot of you wanted a “journey” this is the best what “you” could get.

Funny thing is, that you end up with a GS instead of a dagger is because of this system where stuff is dropping generally also resulting in you not being able to directly work towards getting it but being forced to just grind stuff to sell to buy what you want.

If in the first place it would be so that you could work directly towards the item you want (like now with the precursor-crafting) then you would not end up with the GS instead of the dagger. You know, you want the dagger and that boss can drop the dagger so you kill that boss. Not the boss that can drop the GS.

I also want to repeat that I like the precursor crafting. I just don’t know if it’s the best we could get.. If it still required grinding gold for items, because you can’t really get those items any other way then it’s not. As it should be so that you can get those items yourself. And that is true for everything in the game imho not only the precursors.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Jana.6831

You don’t want to get my points, do you?

Edit:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

The next set of precursers won’t drop, but i couldn’t find if they or the ready made will be account bound. The story behind it might also be interesting.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Zabi Zabi.3561

Zabi Zabi.3561

I like the idea of gathering the items HOWEVER! having to farm Vinewrath over and over and over again because of him not dropping that stupid Tiny Vinewrath Blossom is getting really tiring! I have met people who have done it 25+ times and STILL NO BLOSSOM!

Please make it like the Jumping Puzzles or at least make the drop at the end.

Devata.6589

You don’t want to get my points, do you?

Edit:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

The next set of precursers won’t drop, but i couldn’t find if they or the ready made will be account bound. The story behind it might also be interesting.

I get your point perfectly, I already said that.

I only added one additional point you seem to not get.

The next precursors are account-bound and that part is great.

However, if making the legendary still involves grinding gold because you need items you cannot get reasonably in another way. Then that part is still bad.

Now if the journey involves epic hard challenging battles, farming some mats in a reasonably way, maybe also getting some rare RNG (but reasonably) account bound item and so on. But at no point forces you to grind gold to buy items you need because you cannot get those items in any other decent way… Then that part is also good.

Posted by: Jimmito.1586

Jimmito.1586

Anyone know what to do for the “Dwarven Building Materials” for incinerator? Kinda stuck
:/

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Sadly, ANET has a history of making things that should be fun into thinly-veiled, flavorless gold- and/or time-sinks.

And you would prefer?
I mean you can get a corresponding item fast, too. The type is called Exotic, and is has virtually the same power as the legendary, just looks less snazzy.

Did you really just ask me what I’d prefer? Do I really need to state this? I’d prefer things that are fun and flavorful. How was that not clear?

This is a system that’s been pushed back for almost three years now, and a grocery list is the best answer?

I’m not a game designer. I don’t get paid to come up with ideas for how to make things both fun and time-consuming. But I’d like to assume that if I were paid to come up with such things, I’d focus on the fun part.

I’d focus on what makes a weapon a legend in the world, and I’d go from there. There absolutely should be some amount of gathering “stuff” involved, but I’d like to think that, if this were my job, I wouldn’t just pass along a checklist of “stuff to gather” and call it done.

This system was one of the main selling points of the expansion, and it should be exciting. Instead, it’s basically the same thing, but instead of raw gold, you’re gathering raw materials that are approximately worth the raw gold. It’s underwhelming.

I like to think that if I’d had three years to work on this system, it wouldn’t be the same old system with a groucho marx mask on.

But, hey, if you’re happy with this system as it is, I guess you and I have different standards for what is considered to be exciting additions to the game.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Anyone know what to do for the “Dwarven Building Materials” for incinerator? Kinda stuck
:/

Finish the King Jalis Refuge JP in Snowden Drifts and when you get to the chest room there will be a big vat of ale. You interact with the vat and get the materials.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

People dont seem to understand that everything they do is for a reason. The hole game is centered around the gem shop….. Only subsriber based games can give u a more meaningful gaming experience.

watch this to understand:

The Evil Game Design Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duqqVHTGRA

Maximizing Monetization in Free to Play Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deFej73vr8

Once you understand how this works u will hate most of the developers…..

Devata.6589

This is a system that’s been pushed back for almost three years now, and a grocery list is the best answer?

Well this is because they are fighting against the limitations of events. They event said that in the livestream about this subject.

Events are not able to do this like traditional quest would so we came with the collection solution.

I am not sure why they don’t just implement traditional quest as well. Again something I ask for since release.

Events are great and allow for things that traditional quest cannot. However, the other way around it also true. Quest can be great and allow for things events can’t.

There is too much focus on quest as if they always are kill 5 of x. Yeah those quest are bad, but there are also events like that and they are just as bad. On the other hand, you can also have quest that are no like that.

The game imho would benefit greatly from a nice mix of quests and events. That would also help to solve this problem.

Not sure why they are so strongly against adding traditional quest, especially now they even came to the conclusion themselves that events have some limitations that quest would be able to fill in.

Maybe it’s a marketing thing as it would make it harder to say the game is so completely different, or because they spoke so negatively of quest during promotion of GW2 that it would be a bid of a fail to now implement them anyway.

I don’t know, but I think the game could benefit from it, if Anet would set these type of reasons for not implementing quests aside, and implement them in good ways where they fit well. I would love to do some nice interesting quest chains, and learn something about all those NPC’s. I have always been more interested in these micro stories then about the big story. It makes you feel more attached to the world and the NPC’s in it.

That would also allow for great precursor journeys that might feel less as a _ grocery list_. While honestly I do not yet know if it feels like a grocery list at this moment. Cannot know that until I play it, but it does look like a grocery list.

Not really on-topic but wanted to add it anyway.

Devata.6589

People dont seem to understand that everything they do is for a reason. The hole game is centered around the gem shop….. Only subsriber based games can give u a more meaningful gaming experience.

watch this to understand:

The Evil Game Design Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duqqVHTGRA

Maximizing Monetization in Free to Play Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deFej73vr8

Once you understand how this works u will hate most of the developers…..

Only subscriber based games and B2P game. F2P games however not. Wasn’t this supposed to be a B2P game?

If the reason they do things is to get people to buy gems (what I agree with you, is a big reason for many decision) instead of the reason creating the best game / most fun experience that it is a bad decision, from a game-play perspective.

And if you do not mind I look at it from a game-play perspective.

Luckily however there is this one model that really forces the developer to focus on making a fun experience and that is the B2P model as only a fun game is wat people will keep buying, expansion after expansion. (Those game are getting paid by expansions / sequels).

So if Anet keeps true on the model they promote the game with, everything is fine. Of course that also means they need to push out an expansion every year to 1,5 year. Not once ever >3 years.

The LS approach only lose people while the expansion created a huge spike in number of players, proving this is also a very profitable model. So it’s really, really time for Anet to do the calculations and come back to B2P. More items in-game, less gem-store and announcing the next expansion within the next 6 months (to be released within a year of that announcement).

Then there is also les need to make things such a (currency) grind. We benefit and they benefit.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

So Anet made it so you can get precursors without RNG, it just takes a significant amount of legwork.

The community decides, nope, I don’t want to do all of that legwork, I want my precursor without RNG, and without having to do legwork outside.

Complete utter nonsense.

The community says.. “I still need to grind (Silverwaste) to buy the items I need”. That is something else.

Many people here who complained about the precursor crafting stated it was ok te be hard, it just should not be the same grind.

Then many of those defending say they “Just want it for free”. Pretty much the same argument I have seen for 3 years here on the forum with these types of discussions and it’s a straw-man. You are making your own truth by suggesting they ask for something that in fact they do not ask for.

That does not proof your point because you are dismissing something nobody is saying in the first place.

But yeah you are right.. It would be bad if they make it easy, and Anet also never said it would be easy. So for those who want it to be easy (what is close to nobody.. who complains about the grind) they are wrong.

So there you go, you proven the point to.. well to those wanting is easy. To bad they are not here in this thread.

Nonsense? The OP is saying that he is still forced to buy the item from TP because the requirements to make it are essentially too daunting.

I mean, I haven’t looked at the requirements of every legendary to craft with the masteries, but the one or two I did look at didn’t seem like it forced you to grind. It all seemed like stuff you could go out of your way to get and in different areas.

The only way it devolves into SW chest farming is if the person who wants the item doesn’t want to do the work because they are impatient and what it as quickly as possible. At which point, yea, just SW farm and buy the legendary itself.

This new system is for people who don’t have the money or don’t want to spend the money and would rather go on an epic journey to get it.

Yes there will be stuff you probably don’t want to do. Too bad.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

Please leave Precursors the way they are Anet. You already backed down on the HP thing, don’t back down on leaving precursors the way they are. (I have a business to run in selling ore wood and leather don’tchyaknow)

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

That would also allow for great precursor journeys that might feel less as a _ grocery list_. While honestly I do not yet know if it feels like a grocery list at this moment. Cannot know that until I play it, but it does look like a grocery list.

Not really on-topic but wanted to add it anyway.

Cannot know that until I play it

Crucible of Eternity
10 min run per section
1 Charged Lodestone (from the bags) per run (or 2)
Reward+Exotic items that you will get :
a) sell them and keep the gold

I am waiting for the ‘’old pvpers’’ to come back and pretend they didnt do anything ….
…. cant be angry for now …..

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yet anyone who played other MMOs before will immediately recognize what named weapons of the rarest rarity type mean, and be familiar with the acquisition process. So… success, then?

No. Not at all. Other people’s low standards are never an excuse for ones own.

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

You do understand that was an example. I also know it involves more than those charged lodestones. The thing is that there is no resendable / doable way to get those lodestones other than grinding gold.

You also need to buy crystals that cost about 1 gold and you can only buy (I think you could also get them by doing SAB, but not at this moment).

Some of the T6 materials you cannot farm (maybe that got better with HoT, have not tested that yet).

You might also need Unidentified Dyes, but where to farm those? As far as I know they can drop from many places (so will end up on the TP) but there are no real ways to in any reasonable rate farm them.

For those things the only reasonable way to get them is to grind gold and buy them.

Same is true for many items (so the complaint is bigger than legendaries, and some people care more about skins that about stats) in this games, from gem-store items to items you craft yourself. And that is the complaint. It’s not that it’s hard, or that it takes long or that it requires a lot of effort. Those things are to be expected.

The problem is that for many items, grinding gold is a requirement, the only viable / reasonable option. And that is the complaint.

For someone who has very little knowledge about actually crafting legendary item, u do voice your opinions quite strongly here. I’d generally not reply further cause you seem the type of person to write walls of text without some research, but I would hate that some new player run into this thread and think what u wrote is true.
As someone who crafted 6 legendary weapons so far I can say that big majority of the things you can farm. To name a few:

- charged lodestones ( coe runs)
- t6 mats ( ever heard of troll farm? ever heard of skelk farm? ever heard of laurels?)
- globs? u don’t know how to get globs? by the time u are done with your legendary, u will have enough globs but how would u know that…
- the other guy complaining about 10k ores… guys legendary weapon is not meant to be farmed in a day. Its long term project. It might take 3 or 4 months, or even half year depending how much time u dedicate to it. Its grind and its not for everyone, but so many people whine too much here. Its really long journey and u can craft it however u want. But your legendary journey wont start by whining and camping forum and complaining. Roll up your sleeves, pop those magic find boosters and dig my friends. If u cant do that, cheaper skins are available. Legendary weapons are gonna stay like this and no crying and whining will change that.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

did that guys just said that ascended is cheap ??

you WUT mate ?

Ascended weapons are actually pretty inexpensive. I tried looking into crafting ascended armor recently and I noped the hell out; the armor patch itself was no less than 60G each, never mind the ascended mats required for the pieces.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You can get them through the new map bonus system by doing events in the appropriate map which conveniently also levels your legendary crafting mastery at the same time.

What crystals?

The only crystal I am aware of that is related to legendary crafting is the Mystic Crystal and you buy those with Spirit Shards.

World boss train (fractals isn’t bad either). Salvage all the rares.

Same situation as Charged Lodestones. Map bonus system includes these.

These are a bit tougher. Basically you need to do the same as black lion key farmers and farm the personal story but I don’t think the source of the dyes has a weekly limit(yet?).

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

To those of you saying this is a “grind”: Its only a “grind” if you make it a grind. Those of us who don’t have issues with the precursor crafting, are grabbing a group of friends, going to a map, and having a blast chaining events together for T6 mats, and gathering along the way.

My point: If you can’t make it fun, then just don’t do it. Its not like some serious requirement in the game, that is a fun-breaking feature.

Go play WoW. They give you epics just for logging in. How fullfilling is that? Did you earn it? Not really. Was it a journey you undertook? Not really. See where i’m getting at with this? LEGENDARIES were made to note the time and effort someone put forth to go out and craft and/or the crazy amount of money they spent in gem to gold transactions, to purchase one outright. Its prestige to have one, so it HAS to have some sort of challenge or time barrier to building it.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I want to point out that people have now shifted to talking about legendary weapon crafting. The same exact requirements that have existed. This thread is about precursor crafting specifically.

I’ve crafted two legendaries. Had to buy both precursors. I’m happy with the new system for getting precursors as now I don’t have to grind for money. Making the legendary is still the same as before I believe, yes (T6 mats, lodestones, etc.)? So what are people even talking about here. Legendary crafting was fine, the only problem was getting the precursor because the only options were RNG or TP.

OP was saying that the precursor crafting still forces you to grind in SW essentially. Which is untrue.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

To those of you saying this is a “grind”: Its only a “grind” if you make it a grind. Those of us who don’t have issues with the precursor crafting, are grabbing a group of friends, going to a map, and having a blast chaining events together for T6 mats, and gathering along the way.

My point: If you can’t make it fun, then just don’t do it. Its not like some serious requirement in the game, that is a fun-breaking feature.

Go play WoW. They give you epics just for logging in. How fullfilling is that? Did you earn it? Not really. Was it a journey you undertook? Not really. See where i’m getting at with this? LEGENDARIES were made to note the time and effort someone put forth to go out and craft and/or the crazy amount of money they spent in gem to gold transactions, to purchase one outright. Its prestige to have one, so it HAS to have some sort of challenge or time barrier to building it.

I know that reading comprehension is hard, so I’m going to try to spell this out as clearly as possible.

This thread isn’t about people complaining that precursor crafting is challenging. This point is very important, so I’m going to add another paragraph and suggest that you reread this one a few times.

This thread is saying that the “new” system isn’t a “Legendary Journey” at all. It is the same old system, it’s just that the old currency (gold) is disguised as materials.

And this is the last time in this thread that I’m going to try to explain this.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?