Precursor from Mystic Forge

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Ok, so I’m about to take the plunge. I’m trying to make The Juggernaut. I have a little over 300g to throw at it.

I’m wondering if it’s better to put in rares or exotics. What is generally cheaper in the long run?

Also, for the people that got precursors through the Mystic Forge, about how much did it cost you altogether?

Posted by: Nephele.5063

Nephele.5063

Buy it off the TP.

I got my first precursor from the forge, and bought my second. Buying is the better bet, even with the inflated prices.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Zap cost me 200g+, not sure about the total. I used exotics, mostly dungeon exotics with extra purchased from the TP. That was a BAD idea.

Spark cost me 5g. I wish I was joking. Four attempts with rares and POOF. I wasn’t even trying seriously – I was throwing them in while laughing on guild chat about how I wouldn’t even get an exotic.

My serious advice is just to buy it if you have or can get the gold. It’s more expensive, but a sure acquisition is always better than a hideous gamble.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I would have to say that saving up to buy it directly is probably less frustrating. Even if it is time-consuming. The chances of it actually producing a precursor is very small. You may get lucky of course, but in the end, chances are you blew 300G and don’t got a precursor back for your investment, at which point you’ll likely be extremely disappointed.

If you still wish to pursue the Mystic Forge approach, I’d probably recommend Rare Lv.75+ over Exotics. Reason being simply that Rare may upgrade themselves to Exotic, while Exotic can’t become anything of “higher monetary value”. Exotics you can sell again over the Trading Post, to feed more Rare into the MF or at least cut your losses some.

Expect needing 1000+ Rare items dumped into the Mystic Forge before you see a precursor, if you’re lucky.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Wuffles.5319

Wuffles.5319

Buying it from the TP is less stress. if your precursor is even on the trading post!!!!! Can anyone tell me why Hunter is gone!? Are they monopolizing the market again to raise prices? please god tell me no.

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

I actually got The Lover a few hours ago. Used exotics. Bought about 50 rares and got one unnamed exotic. I then bought 13 exotics(unnamed, level 75-80). Got The Lover on the first try.

Keep in mind I was extremely lucky, and you may not be the same, but in my case it paid off big time.

But if you’re going to make the jump, use exotics, not rares. From my guild alone more precursors have been had from exotic combinations, not rares.

Attachments:

laharl.8435

Oh man, so many different opinions. I was hoping there was one accepted way that considered the best. I guess RNG will be RNG.

My precursor, The Collosus, is usually the most expensive one on the TP. It usually ranges from 700g – 900g. I think right now it has dipped below 700g, but I don’t expect that to last long.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I guarantee you that if you spend nearly all that gold and you get nothing, you will get depressed and quit the game.

If you wish to gamble, always set a limit and leave yourself enough money to keep playing. In your case, I’d leave 50G alone. Gamble away the 250G.

But I always recommend saving and buying the precursor.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Jon.5761

Jon.5761

Well i just got 2 of the colossus, if u check my post if you dont believe me, took me 180g ish/ 1st i got from rares, second one i got from the exotics from the rares, ide say go for it, but thats just me anyway

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I haven’t gone for a precursor yet myself, I was farming gold to buy Leaf of Kudzu on the TP but the quickness nerf changed my plans (Ranger longbow is whack now). If I was going to gamble, I’d save up about 1,5 – 2 times the cost of the precursor and set aside the gold to buy it on the TP in case all went wrong. I would NEVER gamble all my gold, if I went bust and had to farm 500 hours all over again I’d probably rage quit the game.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Its more efficient to use exotics, take the rares you get either salvage to sell ectos or sell on the tp and use that money to get exotics. You then will only get an exotic by putting in an exotics.

I got the hunter by sticking 4 exotic rifles in the first try. I didnt want a legendary at the time (being an engi the quip is ugly) so i sold it and decked my account out instead. Got gems with the money bought bank slots, bag slots, character slots , and some fine transmutation stones.

Now i to want the hammer, and have had no luck. I think the best thing to do is to not go out of your way for it and just let it happen when it does while doing other things.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

laharl.8435

Well i just got 2 of the colossus, if u check my post if you dont believe me, took me 180g ish/ 1st i got from rares, second one i got from the exotics from the rares, ide say go for it, but thats just me anyway

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations! Mind telling me what rares you used?

laharl.8435

I guarantee you that if you spend nearly all that gold and you get nothing, you will get depressed and quit the game.

If you wish to gamble, always set a limit and leave yourself enough money to keep playing. In your case, I’d leave 50G alone. Gamble away the 250G.

Nah, I won’t get depressed and quit. I’m still having lots of fun with the game. Sure I will be quite annoyed if I don’t get it, but I’ll just get back to having fun playing and build up the funds again. I’m mentally prepared to spend it all and come away with nothing, but I do hope that doesn’t happen.

And I’ve actually already limited myself. I have about 320g total, and probably another 50g in lodestones, ectos and such that I will sell off if I come away empty handed. The hard thing will be staying at my 300g limit if I still don’t have the precursor by then.

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Nah, I won’t get depressed and quit. I’m still having lots of fun with the game. Sure I will be quite annoyed if I don’t get it, but I’ll just get back to having fun playing and build up the funds again. I’m mentally prepared to spend it all and come away with nothing, but I do hope that doesn’t happen.

And I’ve actually already limited myself. I have about 320g total, and probably another 50g in lodestones, ectos and such that I will sell off if I come away empty handed. The hard thing will be staying at my 300g limit if I still don’t have the precursor by then.

Be sure to post your results here! Good luck dude, I hope you get your precursor

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

My RNG so far.

320G on 1000ish Rare Daggers.

Ended up with around 80~90 Exotics.

Ended up with 2 exotic which in the end i sold on TP so I can still afford to waypoint.

Will RNG again when I have money.

I refuse to buy Precursors because I don’t sit well with giving my hard earned in-game gold to some random dude that ‘got extremely lucky’ or some prick that likes to monopolize and manipulate TP.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

As we really know nothing about the underlying odds and given they are free to change over time , I would equate the likelihood of getting a precursor from the mystic forge with the likelihood of getting a precursor from a random drop. People do get them from the forge and people do get them from drops. But, you may never get one from the forge or from a random drop—that’s the nature of RNG as implemented in this game. Given that, I would focus on farming gold and eventually buying one from the TP. And, while you are farming, who knows, you may get one from a drop. Seems like a good alternative to the forge.

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

As we really know nothing about the underlying odds and given they are free to change over time…

We do have something to go on. The market price of precursors, and the market price of level 80 rares/exotics.

If a precursor is generally 500g. Usually it means you should be able to get it via the Mystic Forge for slightly under that. People usually only sell when they can make a profit.

I think a lot of the precursors on TP are made via Mystic Forge by people with thousands of gold. They can buy enough rares/exotics to RNG enough to balance out the probability. When you flip a coin 10 times u may get 10 tails, when you flip it 100000000 times, more likely than not u’ll be getting closer to a 50/50 rate. If you don’t get a precursor with your first investment of 500g, doesn’t mean you won’t get Two precursors on your next 500g investment.

or something

Posted by: Mackodlak.7961

Mackodlak.7961

YA, or you just spend all ur gold on mystic forge, then go bannannas and quit the game. RNG is a b*ach and it’ll always be. There are lucky people that get it from first chest after hitting level 80 and randomly do some chest event, there are people who farmed well over 1000g, spent it all on rares and/or exotics and NEVER gotten a single precursor. There are posts on reddit, easy to find youtube movies, with guys putting in 500 rares at a time, then using every rare and exotic they’ve gotten and putting them into mystic forge again and NEVER seen a precursor. There is one dude that got his precursor by luck, then sold it and thought of making a HUGE profit by using all of the money to buy rares, get more precursors and sell them again, spent all of the money, got nothing, wanted to shoot himself cause he got and sold the precursor he wanted and then went and blew away all the money he had on a stupid idea leaving him with nothing but regret.

I would NEVER recommend spending money this was, it just isn’t worth it. If you’re a patient dude just keep collecting the rares that drop while you farm/play, put them into mystic forge and if kitten happens, it happened. If not you have your gold. When you have enough materials and/or gold to make legendary simply buy precursor and rest of materials and just finish it. Spending 300g on nothing and then figuring you were like 1/4 of the way to legendary and now you have nothing will probably mess you up, whatever you tell yourself now – being mentally ready for failure and failing and accepting it are 2 different things.

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

Personally, I don’t have the time nor make the money in-game that I could keep up with the ever-climbing price of the precursor I need (the Legend), so I’m just going to throw occasional bouts of Exotic staffs into the forge and hope for the best, because RNG is the only real chance I have for it as is.

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: InTraining.4712

InTraining.4712

I put in 2400 great swords (buying 300 at a time), as well as putting all of the exotic and rare results back in. After all of that gold was wasted, I still had not received a precursor, and I finally ended up buying Dusk to get my Twilight.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a close friend who received Dusk after just a few attempts using high leveled rare great swords from instances and event chests. The PRNG for these things are just ridiculous, and I would suggest trying a couple of hundred gold worth of mystic forge attempts. If still no precursor, just save up to buy one. Good luck.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Here is a true tip if you wanna use the forge. Use exotics, the % chance of getting a precursor is roughly 1/50 exotic attempts.

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Here is a true tip if you wanna use the forge. Use exotics, the % chance of getting a precursor is roughly 1/50 exotic attempts.

Where did you get that number from?

After I got The Lover(few posts up)

I wasted 700G with exotics and got nothing.