Precursors and T6 : Drop rate and crafting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

This random drop rate is really annoying. I know some people who have gotten 3 precursors just from playing occasionaly while the vast majority hasn’t even seen one from less than a mile away.

We were told that there was going to be crafting of precursors available. The thing is that this will probably be pretty kitten expensive again, if you look at how expensive ascended weapons are. Plus I never liked the crafting in GW2, it’s very cluncky and annoying to navigate.

The biggest annoyance in this game seems to be the drop rate of T6 materials and of precursors. Those two categories have such a huge discrepance in drop rate compared to pretty much everything else in the game. There are so many things which need a lot of T6 materials to acquire, yet the drop rate is fairly low and it is not really profitable to farm it.

The introduction of luck was a great start to bridge the gap, but it’s far from enough.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Precursors… good luck.

Champ boxes are great for t5/6 mats and skill points (you’ll need some for clovers which also can yield t6).

The vastly lowered amount of karma we receive now will make things even harder.

Keep in mind that legendaries arn’t meant to be easy to obtain.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Ivonbeton.6814

Precursors… good luck.

Champ boxes are great for t5/6 mats and skill points (you’ll need some for clovers which also can yield t6).

The vastly lowered amount of karma we receive now will make things even harder.

Keep in mind that legendaries arn’t meant to be easy to obtain.

There is not easy and there is this. I know that champ boxes, just like bags from dredge fractals are pretty decent for T6 mats, but it’s still fairly low. When I opened about 600 champion boxes, I think I had about 20 of each T6 mat MAX.

And when it comes to precursor, considering I’ve played close to 1500 hours, I’d imagine I would have seen atleast ONE precursor even if it was a bad one. Alot of people I know that have played as long as me have never gotten a drop. Funny thing is that those who have actually got more than one :p

Better rewards for high level fractals would be a start, because I really don’t enjoy farming champions days on end. Granted, earning money has gotten a lot easier. If I would save up while playing a lot I could get a legendary in a few months I recon. It’s just depressing that more difficult or fun content isn’t really rewarding compared to farming champions and that there are such major discrepancies between the drop rates of absolutly worthless items (99% of the items in this game) and those that are useful or atleast worth something.

EDIT : Perhaps some guaranteed way of getting T6 mats? It feels like the RNG is a major bummer in this game.

Aberrant.6749

You could also sell the massive number of t5 mats/greens/rares from the champ boxes and use those funds to buy more t6. It’s not directly getting you more, but the end result is the same.

There is also that laurel item you can buy that will give you t6 100% of the time (iirc, I have so many alts that need jewelry I don’t use this option)

I’ve plaid quite a bit more than you and have never seen a precursor drop. The only way I’ve gotten them personally is through the forge. The rates are very low, but they said eventually we’ll have another way of getting them. I don’t expect it to be easy, but at least it’ll be something we can work towards and get it for certain. When we’ll get that… no one knows.

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Ivonbeton.6814

You could also sell the massive number of t5 mats/greens/rares from the champ boxes and use those funds to buy more t6. It’s not directly getting you more, but the end result is the same.

There is also that laurel item you can buy that will give you t6 100% of the time (iirc, I have so many alts that need jewelry I don’t use this option)

I’ve plaid quite a bit more than you and have never seen a precursor drop. The only way I’ve gotten them personally is through the forge. The rates are very low, but they said eventually we’ll have another way of getting them. I don’t expect it to be easy, but at least it’ll be something we can work towards and get it for certain. When we’ll get that… no one knows.

Yeah, I agree with you that IF there is a way to get it for certain without having to farm gold like a zombie, there would be much less reason to be malcontent. But they have been saying that there would be something like a scavenger hunt or a crafting recipe for over 8 months now.

Regardless I would still like to see challenging PvE content like Fractals or Tequatl (even SaB TM perhaps) be a bit more rewarding towards gear progression. Or even WvW and PvP could use something like that. Dungeons are reasonable at the moment, but only because you have a few really fast paths that give you a fixed amount of gold at the end, but if you want to make money you are better off joining the champ train all day every day.

Don’t get me wrong, I like that killing champions is yielding boxes. Just that everything else is subpar. I still think that T6 drop rates are a bit too low considering you need them for just about anything, but if there was more variety in where you could get them, that would certainly help.

And btw, I have thrown A LOT of money in the mystic toilet aswell. I also wasted over 500g on runes and gear. Trying out new builds without losing your t3 look, is very unforgiving in this game, but that’s rather off-topic. Just another thing which really bugs me :p

(edited by Ivonbeton.6814)

Aberrant.6749

Dungeons are really good cash right now if you do the ones that give soldier/rabid/dire exotic stat weapons. If you turn in your tokens for those and then salvage you’ll have a chance at ectos, dark matter, and an inscription of that type. Those inscriptions sell for 5g+ so it’s a nice bonus.

Champ boxes are your best way… Since they give scrolls (for the skill point you need to upgrade t5 to t6), T5, and T6… They may have expected us to turn t5 into t6 and use champs as a good way to get t6… and with people salvaging ectos for MF (the best way to increase your MF) the price on those may have been expected to drop more. But as the prices are now it’s still better to just sell the t5.

I do agree that t6 are a pain in the kitten to get though… and champ farming is mindless.

How I’ve gotten precursors was back when we could alt swap and then do the paths again for the 60 tokens. Then I was taking exotic token daggers and shoving them in 4 at a time to try for spark. At worst you would get back an exotic dagger you could sell. They nerfed that with the 40 token boxes being per account though… and the inscription method may be better bang for your token buck now anyways (haven’t done the math on that).

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Ivonbeton.6814

Dungeons are really good cash right now if you do the ones that give soldier/rabid/dire exotic stat weapons. If you turn in your tokens for those and then salvage you’ll have a chance at ectos, dark matter, and an inscription of that type. Those inscriptions sell for 5g+ so it’s a nice bonus.

Yeah I guess I’ll be doing some more dungeons. It can also get repetitive considering you are mainly doing the same paths. Just like in fractals there is a major discrepancy between the duration of the different paths. But it beats champion farming by a mile.

I still think it’s an issue they hopefully adress (better rewards for fractals + craftable precursors or scavenger hunt). I’ll just save up untill they do. I never actually wanted a legendary, I rather wanted to use my money to try out new builds and get the things I wanted on different characters. But at the moment, I have reached most major goals with my Thief, so I wanted to give it a try.

The drop rates are just extremely discouraging. It stings when you see people link precursors you need when they have already found more than one. I still think it’s a bit uneven when 1500+ hours of play and A LOT of gold into the MF doesn’t warrant you a single drop out of all those different precursors. And I’m not the only one, the majority of people has had it my way as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I have played a lot of MMO’s btw, and never once was the most desirable object or an end-game weapon an incredible random and low RNG world drop.

(edited by Ivonbeton.6814)

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

All I can say is that I play since pre-order, and after tossing zillion items in the mystic toilet, farming chests, events, bosses, dungeons and so on..I’m sick and tiered of being unlucky. Screw rng!

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Of course crafting precursors won’t be cheap. Why do you think the end-game goals should be easy to acquire?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Of course crafting precursors won’t be cheap. Why do you think the end-game goals should be easy to acquire?

Well legendaries really arent legendary. Since 80% of what you use to craft a “legendary” is just bought of the tp it really shows nothing about a player except that they have either a lot of time/played for a long time, are lucky, play the tp or have large wallets irl. There is nothing skillful about owning a legendary. At this point it just an expensive skin.

Edit: Thats why so many players have them. Anyone can get one.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

(edited by rjnemer.7816)

Vol.5241

Well legendaries really arent legendary. Since 80% of what you use to craft a “legendary” is just bought of the tp it really shows nothing about a player except that they have either a lot of time/played for a long time, are lucky, play the tp or have large wallets irl. There is nothing skillful about owning a legendary. At this point it just an expensive skin.

So? You are taking the name too literally. You think ‘rare’ actually means rare? You can get at least 12 rares a day doing metas.

It’s still an end-game item, one that I would bet less than 10% of the concurrent playerbase hasn’t even touched. It’s an item that is not required, and is for those who are willing to pay an obscene amount for convenience/skins.

You make it easy to easy to get and you will have nothing to progress towards in this game. It would have been better to just sell this game for free and reward everything to a player on log-in if you want it that easy.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

they said we would be able to craft precursors by the end of this year, or maybe slightly sooner.

If it doesn’t happen I’m going to quit the game, because there is no point is spending 800g for dusk. That is simply asking way too much from someone that plays legitimately.

Mystic toilet has taken 200g from me, and copious amounts of mats that I’ve farmed myself, and I didn’t get a precursor so I won’t use it again.

If we can’t craft precursor by november/december, and if they don’t say anything about it, I’m leaving this game, because this is a joke and gambling your hard earned effort away is not my idea of a good time in a game.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Vol.5241

they said we would be able to craft precursors by the end of this year, or maybe slightly sooner.

If it doesn’t happen I’m going to quit the game, because there is no point is spending 800g for dusk. That is simply asking way too much from someone that plays legitimately.

Mystic toilet has taken 200g from me, and copious amounts of mats that I’ve farmed myself, and I didn’t get a precursor so I won’t use it again.

If we can’t craft precursor by november/december, and if they don’t say anything about it, I’m leaving this game, because this is a joke and gambling your hard earned effort away is not my idea of a good time in a game.

Yet you are totally willing to pay the other 800G for non-precursor materials?

You are willing to spend 500g on Gift of Fortune? 300G on Gift of Twilight?

[Permabanned on Forums]

Shelledfade.6435

Yet you are totally willing to pay the other 800G for non-precursor materials?

You are willing to spend 500g on Gift of Fortune? 300G on Gift of Twilight?

Yes, some parts of creating the legendary should be a difficult journey, I don’t have a problem with that at all. The simple “precursor” to it should not be so ridiculously unattainable because of random CHANCE.

The main problem is getting the precursor, I don’t care how hard the road is after that as long as I know I can farm the mats myself.

I’m not willing to spend 800g simply because of BAD GAME DESIGN, called the mystic toilet. That’s what angers me more than anything, is the actual design of the process itself. It enrages me.

rjnemer.7816

So? You are taking the name too literally. You think ‘rare’ actually means rare? You can get at least 12 rares a day doing metas.

It’s still an end-game item, one that I would bet less than 10% of the concurrent playerbase hasn’t even touched. It’s an item that is not required, and is for those who are willing to pay an obscene amount for convenience/skins.

You make it easy to easy to get and you will have nothing to progress towards in this game. It would have been better to just sell this game for free and reward everything to a player on log-in if you want it that easy.

Who said anything about making it easier? Anet was the ones that said it was supposed to really be “legendary”.

Make it WAY harder and untradeable. Thats how it should have been.

Require more items from different parts of PvE, not just a kitten ton of t6 mats.

List of Req

- At least lvl 48 fotm
- 500 tokens from each dungeon
- All jumping puzzles completed
- Solo Lupi
- Cleared All temples at least once
- Dungeon Master

Those are just off the top of my head. Feel free to add

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

In Grind Wars, all this stuff is what ANet calls ‘Content’

Shelledfade.6435

In Grind Wars, all this stuff is what ANet calls ‘Content’

there’s nothing grindy about mystic toilet though, its just dumb luck. I would take a long grind over that any day, but you can’t unless you want to spend 800g getting dusk and that is simply too much to ask.

Which is why if we can’t craft precursor by the end of this year I’m out of here. I don’t play casually but I’m unwilling to spend that much time for 1 skin, while the only thing holding me back is bad game design (mystic toilet).

The precursor should be a bit rarer than any other exotics but not as much as it is right now. The hard road should come AFTER you get the precursor, it shouldn’t be the precursor itself.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Who said anything about making it easier? Anet was the ones that said it was supposed to really be “legendary”.

Require more items from different parts of PvE, not just a kitten ton of t6 mats.

List of Req

- At least lvl 48 fotm
- Solo Lupi
- Dungeon Master

Nothing hard at all about.

- FOTM/Dungeon/Title slots & completion can all be "bought’.
- A Mez friend/guildie can trivialize all JPs
- Temple clearing is just mostly a matter of being part of the zerg and requires no skill or knowledge.

The only non-trivial part would be a Lupi solo, but not really sure how it could be enforced.

I’m just saying, just about all tasks in game can be trivialized or circumvented. RNG, sadly, along with time, are viable gating mechanics.

Shelledfade.6435

List of Req

- At least lvl 48 fotm
- Solo Lupi
- Dungeon Master

- Temple clearing is just mostly a matter of being part of the zerg and requires no skill or knowledge.

The only non-trivial part would be a Lupi solo, but not really sure how it could be enforced.

I’m just saying, just about all tasks in game can be trivialized or circumvented. RNG, sadly, along with time, are viable gating mechanics.

RNG is not a viable mechanic when 1 person can get 3 precursors and another person that has spent more gold/time and used the same mechanic as the other person but got 0 instead.

That’s what we call bad game design from the developers. This is an MMO and hard effort in an mmo should be a rewarding experience, it should not be simply negated because of unfair and bad mechanics. This is what makes people stop playing.

rjnemer.7816

List of Req

- At least lvl 48 fotm
- Solo Lupi
- Dungeon Master

I agree but

- its much harder to buy a fotm spot (i have never seen anyone selling fotm spots) then it is to buy mats off the tp.

- Mesmers portals could be disabled in certain areas

- Yeah temples are easy, but at least it makes you go to them

These are just ideas mind you. There are other things i am prob forgetting about.

Mourningcry.9428

RNG is not a viable mechanic when 1 person can get 3 precursors and another person that has spent more gold/time and used the same mechanic as the other person but got 0.

That’s what we call bad game design from the developers. This is an MMO and hard effort in an mmo should be a rewarding experience, it should not be simply negated because of an unfair and bad mechanics.

No, that’s what you call bad game design.

Not really sure what can be more “fair” then RNG. It doesn’t discriminate at all. How much you play, how rich you are, how skilled you are. It doesn’t matter. All players are equal.

Not really sure either what you consider “hard” in this game, but that too is a sliding scale. What’s rewarding for you may be a trivial waste of time for me, and vice versa.

It’s nice you have an opinion, too bad it’s just that.

Shelledfade.6435

RNG is not a viable mechanic when 1 person can get 3 precursors and another person that has spent more gold/time and used the same mechanic as the other person but got 0.

That’s what we call bad game design from the developers. This is an MMO and hard effort in an mmo should be a rewarding experience, it should not be simply negated because of an unfair and bad mechanics.

Not really sure what can be more “fair” then RNG. It doesn’t discriminate at all. How much you play, how rich you are, how skilled you are. It doesn’t matter. All players are equal.

Not really sure either what you consider “hard” in this game, but that too is a sliding scale. What’s rewarding for you may be a trivial waste of time for me, and vice versa.

It’s not equal if someone spent more time and gold but got nothing than someone else. There’s nothing equal about it, and that’s why its bad game design.

My reasons are justified in point with my opinion, yours really aren’t. You don’t make a point of defense regarding your opinion that I can justify at all. It’s clueless.

Mourningcry.9428

I agree but

- its much harder to buy a fotm spot (i have never seen anyone selling fotm spots) then it is to buy mats off the tp.

- Mesmers portals could be disabled in certain areas

- Yeah temples are easy, but at least it makes you go to them

These are just ideas mind you. There are other things i am prob forgetting about.

I get ya.. I was just trying to point out how there’s liekly more than one way to skin the cat. Point being that it’s highly likely that given enough time and effort, never undestimate the ability of the player base to trivialize content.

rjnemer.7816

Well its actually been proven certain accounts have better chances then others sooooooo

Shelledfade.6435

Well its actually been proven certain accounts have better chances then others sooooooo

What makes an account have a better chance? Buying the ultimate edition lol ?

Mourningcry.9428

It’s not equal if someone spent more time and gold but got nothing than someone else. There’s nothing equal about it, and that’s why its bad game design.

Sure it is. Why are you a more deserving player than I am because you’re capable of spending more time in game, or have somehow acquired more gold then me?

By your very definition, you’re saying you’re more equal than I am.

I paid the same for the game. I value my time in game. I want a Legendary.

RNG treats us equally.

And by “I”, I mean any other player.

Shelledfade.6435

Sure it is. Why are you a more deserving player than I am because you’re capable of spending more time in game, or have somehow acquired more gold then me?

RNG treats us equally.

I’m not going to argue with senselessness. Stop trolling. There’s nothing equal about gambling, otherwise everyone in vegas would be rich.

The hard grind road should come after you get the precursor, it shouldn’t be a doorway that does not open for some, and only lucky others. That is absolute CRAP game design.

Mourningcry.9428

I believe I know what you’re speaking of, and “proof” is a bit of a stretch.

rjnemer.7816

Knowing Anet? Probably. Or every time you buy gems with cash irl you secretly gain 100% magic find. LMAO

Mourningcry.9428

I’m not going to argue with senselessness. Stop trolling.

I’m seriously not trolling.

I would really like a rational reason why you think you’re more deserving of a precusor based on such manipulative factors such as time and wealth.

What makes you so special?

Shelledfade.6435

I’m not going to argue with senselessness. Stop trolling.

I’m seriously not trolling.

I would really like a rational reason why you think you’re more deserving of a precusor based on such manipulative factors such as time and wealth.

What makes you so special?

the fact that I dropped 300 hour of purely grinding crafting mats, and 200g into the mystic toilet and got nothing, but other people have spent far less time and money and have got more than 1 precursor?

There’s nothing special or equal about it. People quit games for less. It’s a crap game mechanic, one that should be removed, especially when someone can spend real money to get one (lol fail?)… yeah nice try anet. If they wanted to make it fair and not abuse this system to make money they would make precursors account bound. I guess that thought didn’t cross your mind though.

The hard grind road should come after you get the precursor, it shouldn’t be a doorway that does not open for some, but only lucky others. That is absolute CRAP game design.

If someone puts in more time than someone else, why should they NOT be rewarded ? ?

Shelledfade.6435

Knowing Anet? Probably. Or every time you buy gems with cash irl you secretly gain 100% magic find. LMAO

I wouldn’t put it past them. Spend more cash on gems, get a hidden account benefit, or maybe ultimate editions come with something like that as well.

It would not surprise me in the least.

Mourningcry.9428

the fact that I dropped 300 hour of purely grinding crafting mats, and 200g into the mystic toilet and got nothing, but other people have spent far less time and money and have got more than 1 precursor?

There’s nothing special or equal about it. People quit games for less. It’s a crap game mechanic, one that should be removed, especially when someone can spend real money to get one (lol fail?)

The hard grind road should come after you get the precursor, it shouldn’t be a doorway that does not open for some, but only lucky others. That is absolute CRAP game design.

If someone puts in more time than someone else, why should they NOT be rewarded ? ?

Simply put because believing that getting a reward for effort is a convention that while you may hold dear, doesn’t necessarily resonate as a unviersal truth. The expectation for reward is what you’ve come to expect, it wasn’t ever promised to you.

More importantly, what you consider to be effort, doesn’t make it so for another who finds the same effortless. So, to them, your effort may seem utterly pathetic and undeserving of a reward entirely.

However, I see that’s really how you feel, so, nothing you read here is gonna change it.

Good luck, and I hope you’re appropriately rewarded for your efforts.

Ivonbeton.6814

List of Req

- At least lvl 48 fotm
- Solo Lupi
- Dungeon Master

There is nothing “hard” or “difficult” either about RNG and farming. Something like he proposed would just give more visible progress and add some variety to the process instead of just hoarding gold like an idiot.

RNG treats us equally.

Your logic can be turned around. Why do I not deserve one then if we are so equal? I have paid the same amount of money for it as you?

There is nothing equal about it when I’ve spent countless hours and money without ever seeing one drop while others have seen up to five.

There is nothing wrong with a little RNG, but when it becomes extreme up to the point where you should just forget about hoping for a drop, it’s a broken mechanic.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

They’ll probably make precursor crafting like MForge crafting, where you need an entire stack of each material to do so.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

Randomly decided to spend 60g to the mystic toilet, ended up with Spark. Immediately sold it to fund my making of the Bifrost, whose precursor randomly dropped for me out of a chest waaaay back in October.

Seriously, it’s all chance. There are ways to get slightly better drop rates, like farming bonus world boss chests, or MFing exotic weapons of the same type. But it all boils down to either you’re lucky or you’re not. Hell, I’ve been playing for the whole year and even now if I didn’t get lucky with the toilet I’d be strapped for T6 materials because I can’t spend as much time as a lot of people mindlessly farming bosses and dungeons. It could also have been that my 60g would have given me nothing to show for, and I’d be stuck even farther away from crafting The Bifrost. People talk about spending hundreds of g to try and get a precursor… I didn’t even break the 100g area until Scarlet’s invasions.

Point is, people get lucky or they don’t. What does it look like to someone like me, poor, not a lot of time to play, and dreaming since day 1 of a legendary when everyone else prances around with thousands of g? The drop rates don’t care who you are, or how much you’ve spent. It’s like a casino. You put the money in, and who knows, maybe you come back rich or in your underwear. If you don’t want to play the toilet, don’t. Save your cash. But don’t blame it when you don’t get anything, because you yourself decided to.

(On another note, since karma is nerfed now, good god is getting karma for the legendary difficult though. Shouldn’t have listened to my friend to spend it all on Orri boxes before the change… WvW farming can get tedious after a while. And why the hell doesn’t the birthday booster boost karma?! It says it does, but the bonus doesn’t!)

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

Isn’t that why people are complaining? Because of luck, the RNG. Someone who spent 10x the effort as you cannot get the item he wants, while you who put in a fraction of the effort got it?

Farran.3607

Isn’t that why people are complaining? Because of luck, the RNG. Someone who spent 10x the effort as you cannot get the item he wants, while you who put in a fraction of the effort got it?

But the thing is, like I said before, I could have just as well not gotten anything at all. It’s like me doing Teq events for a while and getting greens all the time even though I spent hours organizing with my server, teaching people mechanics, and yet there are those people who just randomly decided to drop by and get carried by us and get mini teq or the ascended weapons.

In that case, yeah, I feel bad about it. But it could have just as well been the opposite. The RNG does not discriminate.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I dont mind small content RNG. Fractal rng, rare/exotic drops rng, opening bags rng, those kinds. But something as essential as precursor which is needed to make legendary ( a really expensive at that ), I think those should be left outof RNG. Obviously, they would have a really low chance which often results in frustration for many rather than a sense of reward.

Yes, it could have gone the other way, but the point is you got yours. Im still wondering when ill get mine, if at all.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

But the thing is, like I said before, I could have just as well not gotten anything at all. It’s like me doing Teq events for a while and getting greens all the time even though I spent hours organizing with my server, teaching people mechanics, and yet there are those people who just randomly decided to drop by and get carried by us and get mini teq or the ascended weapons.

In that case, yeah, I feel bad about it. But it could have just as well been the opposite. The RNG does not discriminate.

I would have to disagree with that last part of yours. A lot of people have experimented with an RNG and it’s sort of a general consensus that the RNG is streak-coded. It sort of functions on a “One good turn deserves another” system. Problem is, good luck getting that one good turn to begin with.

I ? Karkas.

Farran.3607

I would have to disagree with that last part of yours. A lot of people have experimented with an RNG and it’s sort of a general consensus that the RNG is streak-coded. It sort of functions on a “One good turn deserves another” system. Problem is, good luck getting that one good turn to begin with.

Well that’s interesting. Where exactly was this found?

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

3,633 hours 39 minutes over 391 days.

I have not found or forged a precursor as of yet.

Odds are; if I do it will be one of the least sought after ones.

When you have this much time invested in the game and still not benefited from a drop of that magnitude, I will then sympathize with you. Until then keep your chin up and worry about more important things like world peace, or saving the environment.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Whilst there’s no actual access to the coding, there have been actual experiments done by players where they’ve tested various things, such as salvaging for Ectos, toileting things (People bragging about forging 5+ precursors in LA /Map aren’t always bullkittenting), even your little bags where you get your mats from.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Ecto-Salv-Rate-decrease-after-TEQ-patch/first#post2902345

Whilst this thread is largely revolving around ectos rates, notice how a lot of the posters talk about how their drops come largely in streaks.

I ? Karkas.

Aberrant.6749

In a random set you’ll naturally get streaks. If you ask most people to create a random set of numbers they’ll generally leave out the streaks. That’s not random. It’s not as uniform like most expect. I suspect this sort of stuff is just due to lack of knowledge of what a random set of results should look like.

The forge, salvaging, etc. are akin to virtual slot machines. People have all sorts of methods and theories as far as how to beat them etc. but it’s all bullkitten. Your previous result has absolutely nothing to do with the next result in a random set (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy).

There have been some very interesting studies as to why people and animals try to make some sort of cause and effect correlation between a random set and something that they have done in the past. There have been experiments in the past on animals by Skinner and they react in the same way. There was a group of birds were given feed totally at random by a machine. They left these birds alone for a while and came back to find them doing very strange behaviors since that’s what they were doing before when they were fed. Yet this had nothing to do with when they were being fed. (http://vidallena.org/skinpal.htm if you want more info)

In these players case the “feed” is the ectoplasm/precursor/whatever.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast

Farran.3607

Whilst there’s no actual access to the coding, there have been actual experiments done by players where they’ve tested various things, such as salvaging for Ectos, toileting things (People bragging about forging 5+ precursors in LA /Map aren’t always bullkittenting), even your little bags where you get your mats from.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Ecto-Salv-Rate-decrease-after-TEQ-patch/first#post2902345

Whilst this thread is largely revolving around ectos rates, notice how a lot of the posters talk about how their drops come largely in streaks.

I see the thread, and it really doesn’t change my reasoning. Sure, maybe there are streaks in RNG. But those streaks themselves are random. People can get almost nothing by salvaging rares or MFing exots, or they can get the best drops possible. It still doesn’t matter, because they could just as well not gotten those at all. The way statistics works is that while there may be streaks of good or bad, it all settles out eventually after numerous trials at a certain percentage. Someone may get nothing, but another may get everything. Its just one got lucky, and another got unlucky. If you put all the lucky people and the unlucky people together and record their results, the statistics will still show a certain percentage, and that percentage is whether or not you get anything. People complain in that thread that they get no ectos from 7 rares. Gee, that’s pretty sucky. And perhaps they keep getting no ectos. But play the luck game long enough and things will average out. It may not help your money or time woes, but you’re no different from anyone else.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

I have pretty much read this entire post and have to agree RNG does not work for final tier/ end game item’s in MMO’s.

The RNG system does work in some games such as Diablo . A game like Diablo is based around crawling dungeons exploring for hidden treasure to enhance your character. There is no complex crafting system in the game so when you where rewarded with RNG then it was a true reward.

When it comes to end game gear in MMO’s people want a path to obtain it. This does not have to be a easy path just a path. All MMO’s use a semi-rng loot system when it comes to end game loot. There are raids people join to kill bosses with set loot tables. The reason this system works is because normally they have a 5-20% chances of getting the item there working for.

The system that Anet uses gives people a .01% chance to get the item that is used to craft that end game item. This does not feel like progression this just feel’s like blind luck. Then to add to it they need to craft other materials that are completely RNG. The entire system is extremely unrewarding because its luck based. There is very little skill involved in getting a legendary… in fact there is zero skill.

I personally think Anet is trying to be to different with there game.

I just wanted to add I ended up using the mystic forge to get my bolt. I got my precursor zap on my first try. I am not someone who has thrown globs of money at the mystic forge and is bitter.

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

This random drop rate is really annoying. I know some people who have gotten 3 precursors just from playing occasionaly while the vast majority hasn’t even seen one from less than a mile away.

We were told that there was going to be crafting of precursors available. The thing is that this will probably be pretty kitten expensive again, if you look at how expensive ascended weapons are. Plus I never liked the crafting in GW2, it’s very cluncky and annoying to navigate.

The biggest annoyance in this game seems to be the drop rate of T6 materials and of precursors. Those two categories have such a huge discrepance in drop rate compared to pretty much everything else in the game. There are so many things which need a lot of T6 materials to acquire, yet the drop rate is fairly low and it is not really profitable to farm it.

The introduction of luck was a great start to bridge the gap, but it’s far from enough.

Yes the RNG aspect is annoying, I’ve dumped 1650 exotics into the forge over the past 2 weeks and have not gotten 1 precursor, I could have bought 3 for what I lost, however my friend threw in no more than 50 gold worth of YELLOWS and got Dawn, Dusk, and Spark within 3 weeks…. yes it’s a terribly annoying system. I do agree but it keeps balance in the game and it keeps the legendary market which controls a lot of other markets like yellow/exotic weapons/ores/wood/t1-6 mats up in price which is good for the game.

Also t6 farming isn’t all that bad, when I had 300% luck on southsun during the living story I was reaping in about 20 T6 materials per hour and 150+ T5 materials which I could have converted into more T6 materials. So if you are getting at least 40 T6 materials in hour in a good farming location that’s really good. That means you are only spending 6 hours to get a stack of T6 materials towards whatever you are seeking. Generally what most people don’t understand is, if you increase drop rates, the price DROPS and there isn’t profit to be had anymore. I get T6 mats often(10+ a day) just casually playing through loot bags in WvW/PvE, champions bags, or killing monsters with 100% magic find.

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

I have pretty much read this entire post and have to agree RNG does not work for final tier/ end game item’s in MMO’s.

The RNG system does work in some games such as Diablo . A game like Diablo is based around crawling dungeons exploring for hidden treasure to enhance your character. There is no complex crafting system in the game so when you where rewarded with RNG then it was a true reward.

When it comes to end game gear in MMO’s people want a path to obtain it. This does not have to be a easy path just a path. All MMO’s use a semi-rng loot system when it comes to end game loot. There are raids people join to kill bosses with set loot tables. The reason this system works is because normally they have a 5-20% chances of getting the item there working for.

The system that Anet uses gives people a .01% chance to get the item that is used to craft that end game item. This does not feel like progression this just feel’s like blind luck. Then to add to it they need to craft other materials that are completely RNG. The entire system is extremely unrewarding because its luck based. There is very little skill involved in getting a legendary… in fact there is zero skill.

I personally think Anet is trying to be to different with there game.

I just wanted to add I ended up using the mystic forge to get my bolt. I got my precursor zap on my first try. I am not someone who has thrown globs of money at the mystic forge and is bitter.

One thing to realize here is legendary weapons last forever so they shouldn’t be treated like raid gear in WoW/Rift and most people don’t farm for them correctly. Also the crafted precursors will add this system you speak of to the game but I assume it will take a long time gathering materials to craft one.

On a side note, how many people have 300%+ MF and farm hours in cursed shore getting nearly 1+ exotic drops a day? A guy on my server in 5 months using around 200% MF got 67 exotics or something and 2 of those were precursors (dusk/legend) from Orr. Most people say /age 2500 hours and I haven’t gotten a precursor yet! However 90% of that time was spent leveling toons or sitting in Lion’s Arch, not out getting as many kills per hour as possible yet they are the ones complaining about the extremely rare drop rate.

Ivonbeton.6814

One thing to realize here is legendary weapons last forever so they shouldn’t be treated like raid gear in WoW/Rift and most people don’t farm for them correctly. Also the crafted precursors will add this system you speak of to the game but I assume it will take a long time gathering materials to craft one.

On a side note, how many people have 300%+ MF and farm hours in cursed shore getting nearly 1+ exotic drops a day? A guy on my server in 5 months using around 200% MF got 67 exotics or something and 2 of those were precursors (dusk/legend) from Orr. Most people say /age 2500 hours and I haven’t gotten a precursor yet! However 90% of that time was spent leveling toons or sitting in Lion’s Arch, not out getting as many kills per hour as possible yet they are the ones complaining about the extremely rare drop rate.

For the first part, I don’t get how a legendary is different because it “lasts forever”? In most MMO’s endgame prestige items aren’t related to gold farming (e.g mounts or skins in WoW, but even raidgear).

On the second part I’d like to add that this is nice of you to assume most people don’t know how to farm, but this less true than you want to believe. I’ve farmed Orr for a few months with magic boosts, granted most of this was before DR got removed. I still spent countless hours there and only have a few exotics to show for it. Definatly no precursor. Your friend his story sounds more like the exception to the rule. But even if 5 months of continious farming would grant you a precursor, you really think that’s how a game should be?

Vol.5241

You decided to gamble 200g and lost. I bet you wouldn’t have bothered making this thread if you spent 200g and were lucky enough to end up with 2 precursors. At one point I have wasted 1000g before getting a single precursor but I didn’t complain about it because I knew the risks I was taking.

It was your choice to spend 200g rather than save it and accumulate enough gold to buy it outright rather than gambling. Gambling is a player choice, and as such I can’t feel sorry for you. You gambled and lost, just suck it up and move on.

That being said, Anet should come up with a token system so that if you DO lose, you end up getting a precursor after a certain # of chances.

For example after doing 1500 combines in the forge you end up with a precursor. Of course this would destroy the value of precursors (and probably increase the price of rares/ectos) so this would be a bit more complicated and would need to be very carefully analyzed.

[Permabanned on Forums]