Precursors and the mystic forge

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

When it comes to computer code and algorithms, even one misplaced or incorrect character can be a huge problem. Is this possible? Sure, anything is. But if it were the case, they’d probably never admit it. We’ll simply never know.

There’s no promising way to prove theories one way or another, in certain cases. For example there’s a theory that accounts with low overall play time seem to have better luck at drops as a possible way to encourage them to play more, whereas highly played accounts don’t. I don’t think we could prove that by ourselves. There’s also a theory that when your account is made it’s either given a higher or lower chance at drops. I don’t think we could prove that by ourselves.

I know personally I do WvW, dungeons, champions, world bosses, JPs, mystic toilet and have over 3k of play time and have yet to get a precursor. It is what it is. The game is grindy and they have no problem with you spending real life money to try and get what you desire. Just my thoughts.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

There’s no promising way to prove theories one way or another, in certain cases. For example there’s a theory that accounts with low overall play time seem to have better luck at drops as a possible way to encourage them to play more, whereas highly played accounts don’t. I don’t think we could prove that by ourselves. There’s also a theory that when your account is made it’s either given a higher or lower chance at drops. I don’t think we could prove that by ourselves.

There’s a theory that, late at night, if you look into a mirror and say “Bloody Mary” three times, she will appear and steal your soul. Just sayin.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

When I did that, she appeared and we had a nice discussion about RNG theories.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

I have a bigger chance to get a Precursors from the mirror if I say it 3 times then from the Mystic toilet

if we are at it…. WHO dares to say Scarlet 3 times front of the mirror at night ?
any takers ?

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Keep trying and don’t lose hope. Eventually you’ll get what you want. And satisfaction will be infinitely greater than spending the same amount to buy precursor on the market. Prices on TP are exaggerated because people don’t try enough times or give up too easy.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You have an equal chance of a ‘pre’ using 4 rares as you do 400 or 4,000.

You do not understand math. Yes, you do have equal chance per a single attempt. You do not have an equal total chance – it is affected by a number of tries.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

The issue with the MF is making sure you have the beginning capital to insure you have a good chance of coming out ahead. In the end its still random and you stand the chance to lose out big. I pulled one precursor out of the forge several months ago: http://youtu.be/NftmxoN2IfU

I still make most of my money off the MF, but its on a smaller scale than dumping rares for precursors.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

When I did that, she appeared and we had a nice discussion about RNG theories.

ghahahaa i loled

Posted by: unleashed.8679

unleashed.8679

All I can say the RNG is broken in general. In my guild there are only a few getting all the good stuff. Yesterday I had a discussion about Magicfind and one of them said, “it is useless, I get about one exotic per day without caring about it” Sad thing, It is true. My account has bad luck, I get probably 1 exotic drop per month. Never tried the MF with exotics to get a precursor that much, because I am sure I will lose all my gold then.

One got got more than 7 ascended weapon boxes by now, where others don’t get a single one. And they are always in the same group doing the same things.

So from my point of view there seems to be something broken. I don’t know what Anet did, but I think they probably generate a key when am account is created, that will never change.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

You do not understand math. Yes, you do have equal chance per a single attempt. You do not have an equal total chance – it is affected by a number of tries.

If it’s number of tries then how is it the OP says 2 ppl got 1 after 10-20 rares , yet some have put 100’s in and failed to get one.

Unless the MF ‘remembers’ how many times you’ve used it ?!

unleashed.8679

The more you try, the higher your chances will be. It is all about probability calculations.

Take a dice and role it twice. How high are your chances to get two sixes in a row = it is not 1/6 it is 1/36. The chances for each role by it self remain 1/6 but to get exactly this result you need two times this luck → 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36

Or in other words the chances to get bad loot over and over again is getting smaller and smaller.

For the precursor we need this question, “how often do i need to role a 6 sided dice to get at least one 6?” You will never get a 100% chance, because there is always this one unlucky guy in the universe that will always get a 1 (theoretically). But you can come close to 100%.

For a dice it is a chance of 5/6 to not get a 6. for a 99% chance you need log(0.01)/log(5/6) = 25.25 tries.

It is all about probability and math.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gENVB6tjq_M

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

When a person in the time of a week manage to get 5 precursors out of the forge and at that not even using 100 gold to do it, while others use close to 400-500 gold in there and not get anything… there has to be something WRONG with it… at least that is my opinion!

My good sir, that is how randomness works. Some people have luck, others don’t. Some people might never get their precursor even if they try 3000 times, while others will have two in 500 tries.

Have you ever wondered how people could win at Euro Millions when you have 1 chance out of 116 million to win, something that will probably never happen to you ? Yet hundreds have done it already.

There is no justice or logic in randomness.

unleashed.8679

There is no justice or logic in randomness.

And there is no real randomness within a computer. Therefore, there could be an error within GW2 and someone should probably debug this.

It is a difference between “Some people have luck, others don’t” and “The same people have luck, others (always the same) don’t”

Astralporing.1957

If it’s number of tries then how is it the OP says 2 ppl got 1 after 10-20 rares , yet some have put 100’s in and failed to get one.

Again, you don’t understand math.

If you buy two lottrey tickets, your chance of winning is bigger than if you won one. If you buy a hundred, it is even higher. It doesn’t mean it will be high however, unless you buy a really large number of tickets (in MF case that means using rares by hundreds of thousands for any consistent results).

Some people play lottery for their whole life without winning anything ever. Others win the first time they try. It doesn’t mean that the lottery was somehow favoring the latter over the former.

Edit:
Just to clarify. Let’s assume that the chance to get a precursor is 1%. You are making 100 tries. Now, if the chance is 1 in 100, and you tried 100 times, you are surely certain to get it, right?

Wrong. The chance to get no precursor is still quite high, at about 37% (0.366something). Ironically, the chance to get exactly one precursor is very similar (0.369something). The chance to get 2 precursors would be about 18%. The rest would get more than two.
Now, if thousand people were to do that, well over 3 hundred of them without precursors would see the three people (about 0.3% chance) that got 5 of them each, and think “there’s something fishy in all this”.
And they would be wrong. Because they didn’t understand math.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Again, you don’t understand math.

If you buy two lottrey tickets, your chance of winning is bigger than if you won one. If you buy a hundred, it is even higher. It doesn’t mean it will be high however, unless you buy a really large number of tickets (in MF case that means using rares by hundreds of thousands for any consistent results).

Some people play lottery for their whole life without winning anything ever. Others win the first time they try. It doesn’t mean that the lottery was somehow favoring the latter over the former.

This is telling the truth. Therefore i don’t play lottery, and so i won’t even start a MF precursor gambling. If i really want to own a legendary i will buy a precursor instead or if i am lucky enough to get a loot.

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Personal opinion is that DR is affecting the forge,and to be even more specific it affects all rolls you make on aqquiring stuff.
Meaning you can toss 3 full inventories of greens on the forge,and not see even 1 upgrade to rare.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

Astralporing.1957

Personal opinion is that DR is affecting the forge,and to be even more specific it affects all rolls you make on aqquiring stuff.
Meaning you can toss 3 full inventories of greens on the forge,and not see even 1 upgrade to rare.

In a game where there’s likely hundreds of thousands (if not millions) MF attempts daily? That is practically certain to happen to someone.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

In a game where there’s likely hundreds of thousands (if not millions) MF attempts daily? That is practically certain to happen to someone.

It doesnt happen only on the forge,it happens across the board.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

this game has an RNG “luck” system so basically when you make your first character it is locked hence why some players will always be luckier than others regardless of mf

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Ever game has RNG, and i can live with that. I got over 1k hour in this game, 7 lv80 and only below 10 times i got exotic gear as drops. Therefore i have give up legendary and working slowly towards ascended weapon.

But RNG is RNG, i got a DAWN from a lv60 shark 2 days ago.

Hehehe nice gratz.

I lucked out with Dawn in the forge back in early November. Spent less than 50g total probably a lot less I never keep track of this kinda thing would get depressing.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

this game has an RNG “luck” system so basically when you make your first character it is locked hence why some players will always be luckier than others regardless of mf

I highly doubt that, though people who think they deserve a lot always say it exists. Links to proof?

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I highly doubt that, though people who think they deserve a lot always say it exists. Links to proof?

Links to proof it doesn’t exist?

rizzo.1079

Links to proof that your account ‘luck’, which decides how much loot you get, is set when you make your first character.

Yenn.9185

Links to proof that your account ‘luck’, which decides how much loot you get, is set when you make your first character.

I have none. Do you have the proof that it is indeed equally random to everyone?

rizzo.1079

I have none. Do you have the proof that it is indeed equally random to everyone?

Well first off I wasn’t asking you, you just kind of stuck your nose into it like I was quoting you or something. I was asking Rezzet, who posted it initially. He made an extraordinary claim so he needs to provide proof.

Yenn.9185

Well first off I wasn’t asking you, you just kind of stuck your nose into it like I was quoting you or something. I was asking Rezzet, who posted it initially. He made an extraordinary claim so he needs to provide proof.

I was just curious that you were asking for proof when you know very well that none of us really knows. Unless you truly believe that he dug up the code and decode it? All of us are going by assumption (both to and against RNG) and some faith that Anet didn’t mess it up. It’s not about feeling entitled, but just frustration that some are more rewarded than you who put in the same effort. Your so called luck.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i dont think there would be any way of exposing thigns like this without a ban lol

rizzo.1079

I was just curious that you were asking for proof when you know very well that none of us really knows. Unless you truly believe that he dug up the code and decode it? All of us are going by assumption (both to and against RNG) and some faith that Anet didn’t mess it up. It’s not about feeling entitled, but just frustration that some are more rewarded than you who put in the same effort. Your so called luck.

So unfounded accusations based on misunderstanding of RNG and the feeling that since someone else got 2 precursors from 20 rares you should too basically? You aren’t owed a precursor no matter how much stuff you throw in the MF. Over the weekend I threw in 4 masterworks and got an exo…has never happened to me before and I don’t feel it should happen every 10th time I throw in 4 masterworks.

i dont think there would be any way of exposing thigns like this without a ban lol

If they’re cheating you then you shouldn’t be worried about a ban because you’re playing a game where you’re being cheated. The truth wants to be free!

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I got The Legend twice; one in February and one in September. I wasn’t really trying hard at all. Got them both on my main, my elementalist. However, I wasted hundreds of gold in the forge trying to get The Lover this past May. I crafted them on my warrior and got Nothing.
I would like to believe that it has something to do with which character I used. But I realize that it is all anecdotal and not a large enough sample size.
However, I will never forge anything hoping for a precursor on anyone other than my main, just to be safe.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Yenn.9185

So unfounded accusations based on misunderstanding of RNG and the feeling that since someone else got 2 precursors from 20 rares you should too basically? You aren’t owed a precursor no matter how much stuff you throw in the MF. Over the weekend I threw in 4 masterworks and got an exo…has never happened to me before and I don’t feel it should happen every 10th time I throw in 4 masterworks.

If they’re cheating you then you shouldn’t be worried about a ban because you’re playing a game where you’re being cheated. The truth wants to be free!

On the same context, if I run a dungeon I should feel lucky that I got a chest worth 3g at the end? No one owed me that, yet I got it every time I spent 45min running it. Maybe you’ll say I should have never tried the forge. Yah it’s the only way to acquire precursor other than the ridiculous prices on TP.

rizzo.1079

On the same context, if I run a dungeon I should feel lucky that I got a chest worth 3g at the end? No one owed me that, yet I got it every time I spent 45min running it. Maybe you’ll say I should have never tried the forge. Yah it’s the only way to acquire precursor other than the ridiculous prices on TP.

That doesn’t make any sense. The 3g is the reward you get for running the dungeon. A precursor is something that you have a vanishingly small chance of acquiring via MF, it’s not a reward you get for throwing 4 rares into the MF. I’m not saying you should never have tried the forge, I’m saying that you should never expect to get anything good out of it.

Yenn.9185

That doesn’t make any sense. The 3g is the reward you get for running the dungeon. A precursor is something that you have a vanishingly small chance of acquiring via MF, it’s not a reward you get for throwing 4 rares into the MF. I’m not saying you should never have tried the forge, I’m saying that you should never expect to get anything good out of it.

Precursor is the reward you get for earning those 4 rares you threw in MF. Those 4 rares didn’t fall from the sky; you have to put in some effort to acquire those thru farming and other activities. Just like dungeons there’s effort > reward while in MF there’s effort > chance for a reward.

rizzo.1079

Precursor is the reward you get for earning those 4 rares you threw in MF. Those 4 rares didn’t fall from the sky; you have to put in some effort to acquire those thru farming and other activities. Just like dungeons there’s effort > reward while in MF there’s effort > chance for a reward.

So you definitely feel entitled to a precursor if you throw 4 rares into the MF then, interesting. This game must be very frustrating for you…

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Heh, after reading through this, I’m not certain that I haven’t destroyed a pre curser as I don’t know all of the names of these things. I just look for things that look cool and stick the ones that don’t back into the forge, no clue if the name is a precursor or not.

Hmm, guess I should start checking.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

Yenn.9185

So you definitely feel entitled to a precursor if you throw 4 rares into the MF then, interesting. This game must be very frustrating for you…

Let’s see you trying to acquire a precursor thru MF once they introduced other means of acquiring it. You must be a real gambler.

rizzo.1079

Let’s see you trying to acquire a precursor thru MF once they introduced other means of acquiring it. You must be a real gambler.

I’m not following you? I have no interest in a precursor.

Astralporing.1957

I was just curious that you were asking for proof when you know very well that none of us really knows.

Exactly. A “feeling” is just not enough to support such far-reaching statements about drop system. You need either a definite proof, or at least enough of a statistical data to show that there might be something to such claim.
So far i haven’t seen anything in the game (or on the forums) that would even hint that the Forge rng system is somehow skewed towards some people. The only thing i see is a lot of people that have absolutely no idea how propability works.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

I’ve never understood why people try to gamble for their precursor. So many horror stories on the forum, where people throw in the cost of the precursor and get nothing to show for it, with someone only coming out on top once in a blue moon.

Yet people still do it and complain, I laugh.

“OMG U NEED PRECURSOR DROP OR GR8 RNG TO GET LEGGIES”

My best drop ever was my beloved Mini, Mr Fahrenheit, on my first run of Molten Foundry. Of course, he wasn’t sold, so it’s hardly contributed to anything.

Apart from that, I’ve had maybe 2 drops worth over 10g, the highest being 15g.

Look at the picture below, and tell me again you need good RNG to get nice things.

RNG is RNG, if you don’t like it, don’t participate in it.

So what you are saying is that is you are better off spending real money and/or exploit TP when there was a chance?