Precursors and the new reward system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

So, since it’s likely to take long times to earn laurels, why not put precursors available to purchase for like 1,500 laurels or something?
It should be a long-term commitment, by doing them available it will, you could also set the precursors available at laurel vendors to be acc-bound or soulbound, this way you’d not ruin the “economy” with those already on the market.

What do you guys think?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

1500? That’s about 4 years ._.

However, its not a bad idea.

(edited by Venirto.4208)

Posted by: Nilm.2984

Nilm.2984

Still a better love story then RNG

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

I got a staff precursor from the ele gear box.

lol jk.

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

I think 1500 is a bit extreme unless the other achievements give way more laurels than I think they will once introduced.

Otherwise I’d be thrilled with this because of my problem with precursors as they are now. The short-hand is simply that without the TP you may NEVER get one, with the TP you have to make money faster than the price goes up or you are actually getting further away from your goal every day not closer. It would be nice to actually be able to make guaranteed progress towards the goal of getting precursors.

The long (more detailed) version of my problem with precursors is here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-problem-with-Precursors-imho/first#post1344795

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

Shouldn’t the price for a precursor go down over time as more people acquire them? I don’t see the logic in their cost getting any higher. Especially if we have another event that awards them.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Shouldn’t the price for a precursor go down over time as more people acquire them? I don’t see the logic in their cost getting any higher. Especially if we have another event that awards them.

In order for legendarys to remain rare, precursors price has to inflate constantly. Thats egzactly whats happening.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

lolz I wish they would go down in price, they won’t though as they are in constant demand and some people actually manipulate the price of legendaries to make in game gold, and then sell the gold illegally for real world money
thats part of the reasone they keep going up, that and they are so rare…
not to mention legendaries are the only things to go for at the end of the game so EVERYONE goes for them!

on the subject of laurels for precoursers not a bad idea but they can’t be too expensive otherwise it would be just as fast to make money and buy of TP

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

That is the point. I want a Twilight, but its already common now. And that is why most of them paid 20-60g to get it. I dont want to pay 700g+ more for one dusk.

Oh, and legendarys for laurels would make no sense to me.

Valento.9852

That is the point. I want a Twilight, but its already common now. And that is why most of them paid 20-60g to get it. I dont want to pay 700g+ more for one dusk.

Oh, and legendarys for laurels would make no sense to me.

Who said legendaries? I suggested precursors, 25% of a legendary.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

What do you guys think?

I think some of you guys would enjoy video games far more if you’d stop worrying about chasing carrots.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

What do you guys think?

I think some of you guys would enjoy video games far more if you’d stop worrying about chasing carrots.

Games are about “chasing carrots” – games have goals.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

darkace.8925

What do you guys think?

Funny, I don’t remember any carrots in Battlefield 1942. And yet I was able to enjoy that game a great many hours.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Great idea, really pre should not just be naturally attainable through temple chests and what not.

You get a +1 for a good idea.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

What do you guys think?

Funny, I don’t remember any carrots in Battlefield 1942. And yet I was able to enjoy that game a great many hours.

It was competitive you were driven to beet the other guy’s
GW2 PvE isnt competitive so it needs something ells to drive you forward

darkace.8925

It was competitive you were driven to beet the other guy’s
GW2 PvE isnt competitive so it needs something ells to drive you forward

Not quite. I was driven by the desire to have fun. The game offered that. The community offered that.

I didn’t feel compelled to play because I wanted or needed to level up, earn achievements, unlock new weapons or weapon attachments, earn weapon or armor skins, obtain titles, climb leaderboards, or any of the other superfluous bull crap developers these days feel they need to use to keep gamers interested.

And I don’t want to get into the semantics of “goals” vs “carrots”, but a goal can be anything from beating a game to wasting an hour a day before starting homework/studying/making dinner/going to bed. A carrot is something introduced into a game that players want, and therefor are willing to invest large amounts of time pursuing, thus extending the life of the game.

(edited by darkace.8925)

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Maybe like 250-300 laurels for 1 prec of your choice and its “soulbond on acquire” since laurels are all throughout your char anyway. Imo, seems like a waste as you can get multiple trinkets on alts already.

on second thought, no scrap that. Even if the game provided this alternate method, you can bet people will still QQ.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

There should really just be a single account bound quest for a precursor per account.

At least allow each account to obtain one legendary, and anything beyond will be through more heavy gold spending.

Not even saying some extreme skill challenge, something simple like storyline quest, get it over with since the mats will still cost a ton after that update anyway.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Cause they’re working on an alternate solution.

The scavenger hunt thing, remember?
And, no. You can’t get them to do both, game design doesn’t work that way.

You’re better off saving up gold to buy your precursor off the trading post or just halting your progress on your legendary.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Scavenger hunt AKA lips service.

1+1 = potato

darkace.8925

There should really just be a single account bound quest for a precursor per account.

At least allow each account to obtain one legendary, and anything beyond will be through more heavy gold spending.

Not even saying some extreme skill challenge, something simple like storyline quest, get it over with since the mats will still cost a ton after that update anyway.

Yeah, because everyone’s going to feel real accomplished when they’re one of 10,000 other players running around with Twilight or The Dreamer.

Posted by: Kain Nosgoth.4218

Kain Nosgoth.4218

Yea because having a few more ppl willing to farm 650g , 1,2 M karma etc because they got their precursor in 2 weeks of doing SH is going to to FEEL SOOOOO BAD I’m going squirm in my grave (where I’m going to end up from all the hate that something like this can happen, the majority of the ppl with Bifrost, Twilight, Sunrise, Bolt got their precursors from karka event, for 25% of current price due to karka event, from bugs, add some extra free karma and money from non-DR orr for some of those as well, some from meta-TP-game-usually-at-the-expense-of-others…yea good for them it’s not them I’m hating, it’s the “1% every time you spend 8g in MF or work 5 time as hard or wait 4 more months” thing that the same 4-6 support on forums in all threads).

Screw the SH, add something like the clock tower (but longer and more of it and also with parts involving fights) that 5-7% of ppl can complete (but with any class). For unlimited account bound precursors.

Just beacuase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA
AFL – Away From Life. // I admit to being a bad person.
Character specific key binds…yesterday if possible. Thank you.

Valento.9852

People don’t need to be so mad, it was just a suggestion, and yes would take a long time because legendaries should take a long time as stated by the devs long ago; the flaw isn’t the players’ IMHO, many people got their legendaries too quickly (1month or less) so the design is broken since the very beginning, and honestly it’s a shame to put a single item to live up to “long-term commitment”.

@Edit
The laurel system for example, you can see your progress little by little and while you KNOW it’ll take long you at least have the certainty you will get there one day.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)