Prepurchasers may have precursor or legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zilverenmist.8374

zilverenmist.8374

To give some energy to make our community even bigger and maybe have more prepurchase sales just 2 weeks before HOT’s release, it may be a good idea to offer all prepurchasers a precursor or legendary weapon of choice.
This is just an idea I like to ventilate My wife and I play for almost 3 years and so far never had the luck to loot a precursor, would be wonderfull to have that as extra gift for prepurchasers.

I hope this post will work, I may have tried to post this in parts where I am not allowed to post and got the messages attached to this topic.

Attachments:

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

1) ummmm no….
2) ventilate your wife? You want to put holes in your wife? Soooooo confused…

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Pretty sure ventilating your wife isn’t legal.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So basically: Everyone that pre-purchase the expansion will be able to completely by-pass a somewhat large thing coming with the expansion (precursor crafting)?

If you want to buy a precursor/legendary you can buy gems and convert them to gold and buy it form the TP.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Despite having pre-purchased myself and that I played since the headstart without ever seeing a precursor… I am against this idea. Just doesn’t seem right… yes I would love to get a precursor, but this way would just seem wrong.

No I am happy with getting to craft mine, get that feeling of accomplishment with it.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

lol no, just no

talk about pay to win

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

All my precursors came from the trading post dungeon….

Don’t really see the need for it to given out as it supposed to be something you work towards. (Exception being given out for ToL, rationale that took a different kind of work).

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

No?

We’re already seeing precursor crafting in HoT.

Also, if a good chunk of the playerbase get a legendary/precursor for free, legendaries will no longer the that special. A legendary is nothing if it isn’t special- what’s the point if it took no effort and everybody has one?

The Chinese version of the client has a “VIP” system where after 2 years (I think) of a subscription-like in-game service, you will receive a Legendary or Precursor (I’ve forgotten which). The service also comes with a lot of other features.

After hearing about this, the NA and EU playerbase did lash out, in worry that we’d see a similar system on the NA/EU client- it’s not something that really suits a Western market.

Can’t you just be happy with the added content and the extra bonus goodies you get when buying the more expensive versions of the expac?

Also, you were trying to post in the wrong forums. Those ones can only be posted in by A-net employees. A good way to check if something is OK for you to write in is to check other threads and the people who have posted in the sub-forums. If there are only “red posts” then you can’t post there.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Who would choose a precursor over a Legendary? Unless they are account-bound, and you already have enough of every Legendary for every character you might create.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you want to buy a precursor/legendary you can buy gems and convert them to gold and buy it form the TP.

So in other words “should have bought a legendary instead of the expansion”? :p

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Nope.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Please no. Getting your Legendary together is supposed to be hard.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So let me get this straight. I purchase HoT for 50 bucks, then get a free legendary, which i can sell for 3000g, then i use that gold to buy 12000 gems, which usually would cost 150 bucks?

Where do i sign up?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Even tho pre’s are extremely rare, seeing a friend finally get one is insanely rewarding. I would hate to see them handed out hand over fist like THIS.

Screw that

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Talk about devaluing the whole concept of a legendary weapon. Why not hand them out to every new character made? Or if that’s too much, have Teq drop full legendary weapons as often as spoons.

Really now.

Posted by: Carrion.8249

Carrion.8249

Legendaries ate supposed to be prestigious. They’re supposed to take time and dedication. A friend of mine quit the game after he got his because of the grind. Just handing them out for a prepurchase item is cheap. I couldn’t imagine the nerd rage if this happened

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

lol no, just no

talk about pay to win

I do not agree with OP since he is clearly asking to add an item worth around 150-180 US dollars to an expansion pack of $50…which is seriously ridiculous.

Funny enough your comment is par with his.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Legendaries ate supposed to be prestigious. They’re supposed to take time and dedication.

Well that part was already a dismal failure already so I don’t think there is much need to be concerned about that aspect of it.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Could I trade it for something I’d actually want?

Posted by: Alphaone.6345

Alphaone.6345

Can’t tell if serious.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I want what ever the OP is smoking s/he be tripping hard

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

I dont mean this to trash on the OP, but this thread (and peoples responses, since no one is taking it seriously) are a good example of how ridiculous statements of certain “vets” can be in threads where people ask for slightly less grind in the game. For example:

Player 1: I really dislike how you need to grind for 200 hours in the duration of a 1 month long event to get X item. Can you maybe reduce it to 100 hours worth so its a little easier for casual players who work full time?
Player 2: OMG WHY DONT PEOPLE WANT TO WORK FOR ANYTHING WHY NOT JUST MAIL EVERYONE FREE LEGENDARIES
Player 1: But thats not what im asking for i just want a little less grind…
Player 2: BUT BRAH U NEED DAT EFFORT TO MAKE IT GOOD WHY U WANT TO JUST GIVE STUFF OUT FOR FREE
Player 1: ……………………………..

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I dont mean this to trash on the OP, but this thread (and peoples responses, since no one is taking it seriously) are a good example of how ridiculous statements of certain “vets” can be in threads where people ask for slightly less grind in the game. For example:

Player 1: I really dislike how you need to grind for 200 hours in the duration of a 1 month long event to get X item. Can you maybe reduce it to 100 hours worth so its a little easier for casual players who work full time?
Player 2: OMG WHY DONT PEOPLE WANT TO WORK FOR ANYTHING WHY NOT JUST MAIL EVERYONE FREE LEGENDARIES
Player 2: BUT BRAH U NEED DAT EFFORT TO MAKE IT GOOD WHY U WANT TO JUST GIVE STUFF OUT FOR FREE

The whole point of Legendary weapons is that they are shiny and hard to get. They’re a time sink, an extreme end-game goal, at the end of which you get to show significant prestige due to the effort and expense involved.

If this thread were about how difficult certain gear prefixes are to get, I would agree with you that the grind is a bad thing. But in the case of Legendaries, I can’t disagree with you more. Even when you argued with such persuasive capital letter.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think you’re confused.

You don’t need to grind so intensely in a short time frame to obtain a legendary. In fact, you don’t need to grind at all to get one, just grinding/farming speeds the acquisition process somewhat. I have enough materials to make 2 or 3 legendaries if I wanted to, but have never had to grind towards it.

Also, people are striving for a “balance” which suits their needs. Most people want a legendary to be a long-term, meaningful goal, but still want it to be actually achievable. If somebody asks for it to be easier, they aren’t asking for it to be absolutely devalued. Maybe that’s the point you’re trying to get across, but it was probably hiding behind all of that caps lock.

A legendary, or precursor, is worth far more than $50. Wanze summarised it pretty humorously. Consider how much time in-game you’d need to spend to obtain a precursor through current methods. And then consider that $50 is a few hours work, or a couple of hours overtime for most people. Such a short-cut devalues game-play.

Anywho, this new “achievable”, progression-oriented method of obtaining a precursor will be seen in HoT. It will still be difficult, but can be done slowly with a way to track your progress, meaning that the goal-posts are always in sight.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Well, he did mention precursor too, you’re just focusing on legendary. Precursor hard to get and prestigious? Debatable, you could get it with very little effort purely depending on RNG. And you can spent real money on gems, whats so prestigious about that?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That……. just might crash several markets. Lol.

Why would most people even do the precursor crafting that’s coming in the expansion if the game hands them the free precursor/Legendary of their dreams?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Crimson Clouds.4853

Well, he did mention precursor too, you’re just focusing on legendary. Precursor hard to get and prestigious? Debatable, you could get it with very little effort purely depending on RNG. And you can spent real money on gems, whats so prestigious about that?

The allure is that they’re rare. Remove the rarity and you remove the allure.

Like Wanze said, $50 is very cheap- consider you also get an expac for that money. So you’re essentially getting a precursor for NO work at all.

Yes, currently you could “buy” a precursor with your credit card, by exchanging for gems. I’m sure it would be hugely more expensive than $50 though.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I didn’t give my opinion on the topic, but I do agree that it wouldn’t be a good thing for the market.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

lol…

No. The current legendary weapons are already common as heck. If you want to Pay to Win….buy gold from Anet. That shortcut to effort is already available. No need for another one.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Also, if a good chunk of the playerbase get a legendary/precursor for free, legendaries will no longer the that special. A legendary is nothing if it isn’t special- what’s the point if it took no effort and everybody has one?

Not really. Precursors will be free. Not Legendaries. With Legendaries. All the materials will increase in price dramatically to make the grind long enough to make Legendaries stay special.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Crimson Clouds.4853

Not really. Precursors will be free. Not Legendaries. With Legendaries. All the materials will increase in price dramatically to make the grind long enough to make Legendaries stay special.

OP did say precursors OR legendaries. I have been offering points of view on both ideas.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Stop worrying. It may be a Spear legendary or a Trident Legendary or a Harpoon Gun Legendary that most people would never see anyway.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Stop worrying. It may be a Spear legendary or a Trident Legendary or a Harpoon Gun Legendary that most people would never see anyway.

You missed the ‘of choice’ part, perhaps.

Regardless, it will never come to fruition.

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

lol…

No. The current legendary weapons are already common as heck. If you want to Pay to Win….buy gold from Anet. That shortcut to effort is already available. No need for another one.

So Pay to Win means the ability to buy gold in an MMO? Interesting, kinda sad to think the whole MMO genre is pay to win because of gold farmers now

(edited by SelenaDread.2814)

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Great idea, but I would also like to have 2k gems with that and 500 gold in addition to being able to pick any 3 non legendary skins in the game to add to my wardrobe. :P

EDIT: for the standard version obvs, buying the $100 one should get you in addition to the extra gems 1000 gold instead of 500 and 10 non legendary skins in the game.

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

Posted by: keth.1836

keth.1836

I have no problem with hard or lengthy objectives. You think a legendary here takes a while? My absolute fav MMORPG takes about three years to get to cap. If the game is good enough, it’s okay for things to take a long time.

My only beef about precursors is the sheer randomness. Firstly I have to assume the dropping of a precursor is actually down to RNG. Everyone assumes it is because historically that’s the way it was in older games, but these companies today never actually confirm that (talking generally). So who knows?
Precursors are so valuable it’s just not fair for someone to not get one in three years of playing, and another guy to get it in his first SW chest farm (as someone reliable mentioned today in guild).

I think that is probably quite demotivating for a lot of players and should ideally be addressed somehow.

====
Lumme! Careful, you’ll have the fanboy brigade down on you like a rash for that one.

…..want to Pay to Win….buy….

(edited by keth.1836)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m not that interested in Legendary weapons. Instead I think the game should hand out one piece of Legendary armor for basic buyers, two pieces for the second level and a full set of Legendary armor for people (like me) who bought the Ultimate version. That sounds fair (too me). ^^

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: drasko.4081

drasko.4081

What an bad idea omg…you serious?
I’m playing since head start and the last thing i want is a prec or legen as a gift wtf…
It’s supposed to be hard to get… i would make it even harder so that less then 1% can have it……because its LEGENDARY!

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

Strangely asking for a legendary wasn’t the silliest thing in this post….

I think you should remove the picture where you’ve used full name as a signiture…

(edited by Nephziel.6053)

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

This may be the best topic I have seen all week. The first two posts after the OP literally made me lol.