Prestige mode and prestige points!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

Imagine a store full of awesome goodies like New weapon/armor skins, Permanent gold/magic/karma find, Exclusive Mini pets, Exclusive tonics, Exclusive recipes, Titles, etc at the cost of prestige points!

Method 1: Prestige points would be unlocked by leveling 80 times past level 80. Progress would be tracked under the achievement tab.

Method 2: Effective level reset to 1. Re-play old content with low level guildies and revisit everything and have some fun! Prestige point unlocked as soon as level 80 is reached again.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

What is prestige on reaching lvl 80?

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Imagine a store full of awesome goodies like New weapon/armor skins, Permanent gold/magic/karma find, Exclusive Mini pets, Exclusive tonics, Exclusive recipes, Titles, etc at the cost of prestige points!

Laurels offer tonics, pets and permanent gold/magic/karma increase in the form of an infusion.

Method 1: Prestige points would be unlocked by leveling 80 times past level 80. Progress would be tracked under the achievement tab.

Method 2: Effective level reset to 1. Re-play old content with low level guildies and revisit everything and have some fun! Prestige point unlocked as soon as level 80 is reached again.

1. How would this be any different from Laurels, except being locked to level 80? And why should it be locked to level 80 in the first place? What’s it about the level cap that makes it “prestigious”?
  2. We already have a pretty decent level scaler and you can totally do old content without being an OP powerhouse.

Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

Laurels offer tonics, pets and permanent gold/magic/karma increase in the form of an infusion.

1. How would this be any different from Laurels, except being locked to level 80? And why should it be locked to level 80 in the first place? What’s it about the level cap that makes it “prestigious”?
  2. We already have a pretty decent level scaler and you can totally do old content without being an OP powerhouse.

I don’t quite understand your first point about it being similar to laurels. Think prestige like in cod. It’s purely cosmetic and a grind for titles, skins, and other prestigious items; hence “prestige mode/levels”. That’s why it would be limited to max level players and, of course, the prestigious items would be totally different than what you find at the laurel vendor. As for the karma,gold, and magic find; they would be large sums of permanent account bonuses- again something you cannot find at a laurel vendor.

I didn’t say you couldn’t do old content with the current system. But right now, there’s little reason to. With that being said, I don’t see the harm in Introducing a system that entices players even more to revisit old content. Also, I am confused as to how one would be a “OP powerhouse” if their effective level and stats were to be reset to that of a level 1?

(edited by Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713)

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I don’t quite understand your first point about it being similar to laurels. Think prestige like in cod. It’s purely cosmetic and a grind for titles, skins, and other prestigious items; hence “prestige mode/levels”.

Now that just sounds like Achievement points.

That’s why it would be limited to max level players and, of course, the prestigious items would be totally different than what you find at the laurel vendor. As for the karma,gold, and magic find; they would be large sums of permanent account bonuses- again something you cannot find at a laurel vendor.

Again: What makes level 80 so prestigious? And wait… you’re seriously suggesting >20% passive bonuses to GF/MF/Karma?

I didn’t say you couldn’t do old content with the current system. But right now, there’s little reason to. With that being said, I don’t see the harm in Introducing a system that entices players even more to revisit old content. Also, I am confused as to how one would be a “OP powerhouse” if their effective level and stats were to be reset to that of a level 1?

So first you say that you want to play with your friends… and then you say that playing with your friends is not reason enough? You know, that would have worked in a game that did not scale levels (thus requiring rolling an alt with them), but that doesn’t make much sense in this game.

As for the “OP powerhouse”, I was simply referring to the fact that due to level scaling, you do not need to make an alt to enjoy low level content with your friends. Level scaling along with voluntary things like buying lower gear and not using traits makes you just as weak as your lowbie friends.

Tell me, if a friend calls you over for a visit, do you ask them to provide you with drinks and food (or cash) or you won’t participate?

(edited by Olba.5376)

Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

I don’t quite understand your first point about it being similar to laurels. Think prestige like in cod. It’s purely cosmetic and a grind for titles, skins, and other prestigious items; hence “prestige mode/levels”.

Now that just sounds like Achievement points.

That’s why it would be limited to max level players and, of course, the prestigious items would be totally different than what you find at the laurel vendor. As for the karma,gold, and magic find; they would be large sums of permanent account bonuses- again something you cannot find at a laurel vendor.

Again: What makes level 80 so prestigious? And wait… you’re seriously suggesting >20% passive bonuses to GF/MF/Karma?

So first you say that you want to play with your friends… and then you say that playing with your friends is not reason enough? You know, that would have worked in a game that did not scale levels (thus requiring rolling an alt with them), but that doesn’t make much sense in this game.

I can understand how one would make that connection seeing as how they are both reward systems. But in no way is it going to be like achievment points- you won’t be restricted to specific tasks. You would just have to level to 80 again- anyway you want.

I’m sure we can all agree that reaching max level in any game holds some kind of prestigious weight. With that being said, one would only become more prestigious the more times they’ve hit max level- just like any other game with a prestigious ranking system.

The main idea of that point was to have fun.
Right now, old maps (mostly maps of mid to lower level) content isn’t very appealing and has very little reward. But if you construct a sytem around it with appealing stuff to be rewarded to those who want it, then it becomes another outlet for people to enjoy themselves in the game- all parts of it.

I’ll answer your question with one of my own. If a friend asks you to come over for a visit would you, if you could, bring something like some gum to chew or a couple smokes or a coke to sip on while you’re there? The idea here is to simply add to the experience. That is all. Please, I don’t want this to become an argument about morals, friendship, personal motives, etc.

(edited by Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713)

Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

They might already have something like this cooking..

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

This would have to be an acct wide aggregate, like WvW rank is. I play WAY too many alt’s for it to be lock to +80 levels per character. If it was some how retroactive, Muahahaha… that would be great.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Same thing ol’ FFXI did, and then some… It was torturous back then, but it would make itself a smoother ride in GW2 with what the cakewalk leveling, I suppose.

Or they could just update laurel vendors to actually give interesting things at all instead of ascended and infusion related stuff, consumables aside. Laurels are just a money influx for me at the moment, nothing offered interests me.