Problem with bows...

Problem with bows...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

Most of the bows listed as Recurve or Long Bow are backwards, see the image below for identification of the types of bows then check any number of bows in game that are labeled as either Recurve or Long Bow.

http://ghh.com/archery/ComparasonOfBows.jpg

Problem with bows...

Darkorical.9213

wow 156 views and no comments … am I the only one here who practices archery in real life and is bothered by this?

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t really see how that affects my enjoyment of the game, because I don’t really know a difference. It’s a bow, it fires an arrow.

One guy was complaining that pine is a soft wood not hard wood and we shouldn’t get hard wood from pine. He’s undoubtedly right.

Do most people care? I don’t think so.

Edit: Keep in mind you can kill a deer and get armor and weapons from it.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think you’re right that the majority of people either don’t know or don’t care (or both).

Mistakes like this are fairly common in fantasy, I’m sure many people can think of examples from within their own area(s) of expertise. (For me it’s the fact that bats in GW2 look more like lizards with wings, someone else mentioned that the Barred Owls have the wrong pattern.) But in the majority of cases it’s not worth worrying about because it doesn’t affect gameplay and has very little impact on your enjoyment of the game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

Or we could just say that in Tyria they have other names/properties.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

wow 156 views and no comments … am I the only one here who practices archery in real life and is bothered by this?

Because maybe nobody knows what you are talking about. I don’t see that the bows
you posted are maybe asymetric, so i don’t know what you mean with “backwards”
and especially i never saw bows that fired arrows into my back.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I don’t really see how that affects my enjoyment of the game, because I don’t really know a difference. It’s a bow, it fires an arrow.

One guy was complaining that pine is a soft wood not hard wood and we shouldn’t get hard wood from pine. He’s undoubtedly right.

Once upon a time in STO, people (myself included) pointed out that a particular Starfleet starship didn’t have the proper red (port) and green (starboard) navigation lights. It was fixed, because the devs working on the ships at the time actually cared enough to want to get it right.

The table is a fable.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Once upon a time in STO, people (myself included) pointed out that a particular Starfleet starship didn’t have the proper red (port) and green (starboard) navigation lights. It was fixed, because the devs working on the ships at the time actually cared enough to want to get it right.

The fact that it was 2 lights on one ship and probably took very little time to fix was probably also an important factor.

If I’ve understood correctly the OP is asking for the entire model for numerous longbows to be re-done. Which not only would take a lot of the artists time, it could potentially upset everyone who has chosen to use one of those skins because they like the way it looks.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Problem with bows...

Beldin.5498

That was maybe because STO got the best dev ever from Champions Online, and we
at CO were left standing in the rain.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If I’ve understood correctly the OP is asking for the entire model for numerous longbows to be re-done.

It appears that he is merely asking that the names be switched. No model changes, just moving some text.

Problem with bows...

Darkorical.9213

Because maybe nobody knows what you are talking about. I don’t see that the bows

the names are backwards … the ones labeled recurve are actually long bows and the ones labeled long bows are actually recurve bows

and yes I am hoping for a simple rename

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I wonder if this has ever been brought up before in the last 2 years. Now that you say it, though, it does bother me a bit. It seems most of the longbows in this game should be renamed to be a recurve bow. Although from my understanding, longbows also do have a curve when strung…

If you look at where most of the bows are actually strung, they seem to align somewhat well with the characterizations of recurve bows or longbows. There are some, such as Ghastly Longbow that could be debated I suppose…but it has so much fantasy influence I’m not sure there is a correct name.

Problem with bows...

Beldin.5498

the names are backwards … the ones labeled recurve are actually long bows and the ones labeled long bows are actually recurve bows

and yes I am hoping for a simple rename

Sorry … english is not my first language .. so i didn’t even know that “backwards” meant something like name switched. For me it was that the back and front of the visual appearence was switched or something like that.

However .. i never even noticed those names anywhere .. i just saw long and short bows .. and thats it ^^

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’d much rather the devs fix the Trait System than rename a few bows.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Simple things like these are a telling sign.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’d appreciate but uh, what about skins?

The Aetherized bow for example is a compound bow.

I ? Karkas.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: cyanweapon.7290

cyanweapon.7290

When you’re right, you’re right.

This is something I (and apparently a majority of others) never noticed, but now that it’s been pointed out, is fairly interesting. I doubt this was anything more than a simple oversight in the design team, and nothing a renaming couldn’t handle.

It’s important to note that a few of the “longbows” in the game do actually qualify as longbows. So not all of them are masquerading as recurves or compounds. But still, this could be an easy fix – it’s not like there’s a bajillion different types of bows to go over.

No reason this can’t or shouldn’t be done. We’re not facing a “re-do the traits system or rename some bows” decision. We can have both, if the devs deem it important. Especially considering how simple this one would be to implement.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

In GW1 the differences were more than cosmetic. Just sayin’.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Problem with bows...

Ashen.2907

In GW1 the differences were more than cosmetic. Just sayin’.

I did enjoy that aspect, as well as the high ground advantage.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

In GW1 they had the bows right to the point of explaining the difference in how each bow worked, i.e. Shortbow, Longbow, Flatbow, Hornbow and recurve bow.

From GW1 Wiki; http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bow
There are a number of different types of bows available for use, each varying slightly in range, attack speed, and accuracy. The longbow offers a fair attack speeds, a long range, and fair accuracy. The shortbow has a good attack speed, poor range, and good accuracy. The flatbow provides a good attack speed, a good range, and poor accuracy. The recurve bow has a fair attack speed, a fair range, and good accuracy. The hornbow provides a poor attack speed, a fair range, and fair accuracy, but has armor penetration.

If only the GW2 makers cared as much.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Bow Knows

Scandalous! This problem must be rectified at once!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist teasing just a little with the attachment, but I do agree it’s much nicer when the details in a game aren’t wrong, and hope this eventually gets fixed.

Attachments:

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

…there are recurve bows in this game? Honestly, i haven’t noticed. What class can use them, and why my ranger can’t?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Problem with bows...

Beldin.5498

Also the only compound bows i know are the Aetherized Bows :
http://dulfy.net/2013/07/23/gw2-aetherized-weapon-skins-gallery/

but rarely ever seen them ingame.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

OP maybe you should update your post to clarify the issue and what you are asking. If I understood you correctly, some (perhaps all) bows called “recurve” in this game are really long bows and similarly, a lot of (or all) long bows are called recurves.

I’m in favor of this, although I’d prefer that ANet fix the many inconsistencies in naming conventions first (infusions go in ascended gear infusion slots, while agony infusions go into agony infusion slots in infused ascended gear — I shouldn’t need a degree in Dr Seuss to understand the game).

However, while it sounds like a simple fix, it’s not: you have to identify each item, find the right name, validate it, verify the translations, find any references to the names that appear elsewhere in the game (but aren’t linked with the item ID), and then do QA for the script you write to do all that, to make sure it’s only changing what you want.

It’s not rocket science, but it’s also easier to get it wrong than to get it perfect.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Problem with bows...

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Star Trek nerds are greater than archery nerds.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s a bit like how, back in GW1, it constantly annoyed me that Parchment and Vellum were made from Wood.

Parchment and Vellum are made from animal skins!

But it wasn’t worth quitting the game over. It’s wrong, but ANet has better things to do with their development time.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Whenever something like that doesn’t make sense, a wizard did it.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Star Trek is it’s own thing. Odds are a big percentage of the player base are trekkies, as opposed to this game where a big percentage aren’t archers.

Had to compare the situations.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

You made my day with the last sentence.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

The problem with boys is the pfffffft pfffffffft wet noodle sound and graphics. It feels like you are shooting with a soft string.

They need to make them babies sing, maintaining longer straight line trajectory, instead of the weepy droopy parabola they use .

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Problem with bows...

Ashen.2907

The problem with boys is the pfffffft pfffffffft wet noodle sound and graphics.

Yeah, darn them boys and their wet noodles. : )

Problem with bows...

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Just like how Hyenas howl like wolves in GW2, in reality they cannot vocalise at all with their heads raised. They dip their heads and bark.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I see where you are coming from OP. It is always annoying to see mistakes like these in a game. I always cringe in any game with ridable horses because they never ever get any of it right, not to mention that no, horses don’t randomly whinny ALL. THE. TIME.

Problem with bows...

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

The difference between this “problem” and STO “problem” is that in STO there is Lore about the Starship and how they look while in GW2 there is no lore saying that the bows names isn’t reversed. Though it’s kinda eh… If it was since a recurved bow looks “recurved” … But also in my opinion a recurved bow should be another category of bows becouse it is, it should be stronger than an ordinary Longbow if it would be a longbow, but also Recurved bows was smaller (Shortbows that is). Weapons has a history and a special use for them all. Like most of the Greatswords in GW2 would be imposssible to wield becouse of heavy wieght and if I remember correct greatswords where mostly used by people on horseback as it was to heavy to swing so they used the power of the horse to deal great damage. (Could be untrue though, no fact)
Blablabla…

After writing all this I understand OP’s concern and I agree that Recurved bows should be renamed to recurved Bows and/or atleast regular bows should not be named Recurved Bows.
Becouse I can immagine that this is as horrible for the OP and some others to see as if there would be a grammar error in the text somewhere and I know that they fix that.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Problem with bows...

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

A certain suspension of disbelieve is required in most forms of entertainment.

I don’t think simplifying a situation to “if they don’t listen to me clearly they don’t care” is overall a healthy attitude nor does it fully reflect the multi-dimensional-nature or reality. There’s a whole host of things that could come into play that would prevent something from happening.

I’d much rather the devs fix the Trait System than rename a few bows.

There are 2 dimensions that come into play 1 ) difficulty to implement 2 ) impact / importance. Maybe there’s more, but since this might not necessarily be difficult to implement but isn’t particularly important (since it doesn’t impact too many players) the assumption can be made that other things such as the Trait System would be higher priority (although I’m still unsure about what the problem with the trait system is…).

It’s a bit like how, back in GW1, it constantly annoyed me that Parchment and Vellum were made from Wood.

Parchment and Vellum are made from animal skins!

But it wasn’t worth quitting the game over. It’s wrong, but ANet has better things to do with their development time.

Basically this.

Star Trek is it’s own thing. Odds are a big percentage of the player base are trekkies, as opposed to this game where a big percentage aren’t archers.

Had to compare the situations.

I think you’re misunderstanding the comparison or overlooking the thin veiled accusation. Focus on the italic part namely ‘cared enough’ and think why he or she intended it to stand out.