Profession for shooter.

Profession for shooter.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rrhand.7509

Rrhand.7509

Hi! I want to play shooter with dual pistols/LBow/SBow/Rifle. But i cant find really effective build for warrior, thief, ranger or engi with some range weapon. Can anyone tell me some nice shooter build for one of this professions? (Oh, and I mean PvE.)

(edited by Rrhand.7509)

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I’d say if you want to play a pure shooter, your best options are Thief or Ranger. Warrior can work too, but it has lower ranged damage. Guardian range will most likely involve some things that don’t seem very shoot like, but you can try it too.

With thief a p/p + staff build worked well for me. You switch to the staff to escape and be agile, and use the pistols to gun down anything. Crit/X/X for traits. Fill in the gaps.

With Ranger, you’ll want a longbow and another weapon (GS or Sw/D). Trait marksmanship and two other traits.

I won’t go into guardian and warrior, as for a strict shooter, I think they fall behind. sorry it doesn’t have more details, but maybe when I get home from work later, I will should you some example builds.

The general difference between the two (Ranger/Thief) is the Ranger is more safe and longer range, while the thief has less tankyness, but more agility to get out of bad situations (think of a matrix shooter vs a sniper with an auto). Try them both out in pvp and see what you like.

Profession for shooter.

Rrhand.7509

Thanks! And some examples would be great!

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Engineer_-_Power_Grenadier

that’s a pretty simple meta PvE damage build for an engineer, which is honestly probably the highest damage option you are going to find.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Engineer_-_Condition_Grenadier

is the pistol condition equivalent.

Both are likely to me more effective than a ranger or a thief in my opinion.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

The problem about shooters in PvE is that you’ll want to have some cleave or aoe in open world for tagging mobs, which a pure shooter build doesn’t provide. I’ve played a thief shooter build for a while (just because double pistol looks kitten) and missed out on a lot of loot. Since the ricochet trait was removed from thief, the number of targets you can hit at once even went down from 4 to 1.

I’m currently playing a condi engi with double pistols, but that’s no shooter build, it’s a tools build and I’m barely using the pistols at all.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

as bunji pointed out, the lack of cleave/aoe will drive you insane in PVE (especially in event zergs)
the only 2 constant multi-target options i can see are:
thief shortbow (hits 3 targets has an instant cooldown aoe)
engi mortar (big aoes)

the rest usually have 1-2 aoe skills but they’re on cooldowns,
not handy for tagging mobs.

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

With thief a p/p + staff build worked well for me. You switch to the staff to escape and be agile, and use the pistols to gun down anything. Crit/X/X for traits. Fill in the gaps.

If you want to use the staff, you’ll need to spec Daredevil.

One – Piken Square

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Profession for shooter.

Rrhand.7509

2imsoenthused.1634 Its not shooter build, I want to play pure shooter.

2Rezzet.3614 This build uses kits too.

So, there isn’t pure shooter build with OK AoE?

(edited by Rrhand.7509)

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

2imsoenthused.1634 Its not shooter build, I want to play pure shooter.

2Rezzet.3614 This build uses kits too.

So, there isn’t pure shooter build with OK AoE?

what exactly to you mean by pure shooter? using nothing but your mainand offhand weapon? because i dont think one such as that will exist while having top dps

my static discharge build only needs one kit the toolkit because the thrown shot with static discharge hits 3 times (with my current marauder gear toolkit hits for (3.2kx2 and 1500 from SD bolt) and i can use the kit for the shield
the mortar is pretty much optional as well as the battering ram
this is PvE stats of course

Thief’s shortbow hits 3 targets with auto and has clusterbomb i guess

Profession for shooter.

Rrhand.7509

So, does all it mean that thief is prefer profession if I want play pure shooter?

Profession for shooter.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

pistol/pistol Thief is the gunniest profession. It just has AOE problems as said.

There’s lots of successful Rifle warriors out there.