Profession most broken and least played?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

My vote goes to Necromancer.

It needs improvements like no other class. In PvE no one wants a necro in their dungeon runs. This saddens me because besides Mesmer, Necro is my second favorite class. I only main Necro now, and I should be able to enjoy the game without being rejected from playing with others during dungeon runs due to being a Necromancer.

All players, no matter their profession, should be able to enjoy all forms of gameplay, ( PvE, WvW, PvP ) not just certain ones.

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

In terms of broken I would vote for ranger but in the same time it’s probably above average in popularity

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I run dungeons with my Necro.

Sure, you aren’t going to get invites to speed runs, but that’s probably for the best. Who wants to hang out with people who belittle you for your character choice anyway?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I main a necro. I enjoy PvE just fine and never get kicked from dungeons (or even fractals, on the rare occasion I do fractals). Plus, I wouldn’t call our class broken at all. I WOULD say we need some quality of life updates, though (better mobility options, a non-crappy stability that doesn’t have to be traited or have an extremely long cooldown, and such).

I find that in dungeon runs, as long as you know what you’re doing, stay alive, and aren’t a jerk, you won’t run into trouble, even in Elitist Scumbag Parties (but I personally avoid those, unless they’re my only option).

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I don’t know if “most broken” and “least played” go hand in hand here.
But if I had to guess which class was least played I’d say Engineer.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

In terms of broken I would vote for ranger but in the same time it’s probably above average in popularity

Just out of curiosity, what about rangers do you consider broken?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I don’t think any profession is broken. There are mechanics in the game I don’t agree with(like condis not affecting yellow objects-I hated leveling my Necro and having it condi specced and it was SO slow doing heart quests and it took way too long to destroy crates etc. because my condis had zero effect on those items).

Some classes have really broken things about them that have never and probably will never get them fixed like myriad things about Mesmers and Ranger pets.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Many.8419

Sure, you aren’t going to get invites to speed runs, but that’s probably for the best. Who wants to hang out with people who belittle you for your character choice anyway?

You cant call pug group speedrun in any terms. And serious runners take necros to parties if not duing record runs. It’s not a top notch class but it’s viable. Plz dont make assumptions about ppl you dont know. It makes you look childish.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You cant call pug group speedrun in any terms. And serious runners take necros to parties if not duing record runs. It’s not a top notch class but it’s viable. Plz dont make assumptions about ppl you dont know. It makes you look childish.

No assumptions were made. Speed runners have strict rules about who comes along. If you want to play something else, don’t play with them. Trust me, they won’t play with you.

My point being, they don’t like playing with people who don’t fit their tight criteria. If you don’t fit their criteria, they will not be kind to your attempts to join them. Better for both groups to avoid each other.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Warrior….nobody seems to play that class.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Many.8419

Speedrunners have guilds and own parties. Pug world isnt a speedrun world.

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

Warrior….nobody seems to play that class.

man I wish I picked this class instead of thief, thief is way too hard. when I made the thread everyone said warrior was the most popular but while playing my thief I NEVERRRRR see a warrior, only guardians.

I’ll probably level a warrior once I get my thief to 80 but until then I don’t feel like starting from level 1 again

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

Thanks everyone for your replies. When I say broken, I referring to the things that could use improvement for said profession. Speaking of the Necromancer, Minion AI is horrible for example. It should be a viable build in all aspects of gameplay. Right now, berserker builds are good in all forms of gameplay. I think this should be the case for every type of build for every class.

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I think you’re probably right. Even if the engi is really handy and fun to play, it’s probably the least played out there. Rangers would be the most because everybody and their grandma play rangers while every grampa play thiefs . WvW is filled with guardian, warriors, ele and necro. This leave Mesmer that could be toe to toe with the engi.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I would have to argue Ranger is the most broken class, since their entire profession mechanic depends on nearly-worthless AI.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

More from Many:

Frankly, I don’t think you know what you are talking about. I do speed runs with pugs everyday. Just look at the lfg listing…there is almost always groups listed for speed runs: people that want to run with other people that are using optimized builds and gears for the fastest possible kills, with plans to run the dungeon in the most optimal, fastest way possible……that is a speed run. Due to the potential for miscommunication and mishap as people in pug groups do not generally know each other and are not typically on communication software to coordinate the run, speed records are not going to be set. They are, nonetheless, speed runs in every other sense of the term. If you disagree with how I have defined a speed run, please provide us with your own definition of a “speed run”.

As a side note, I have no idea why you would call mtpelion’s post childish as you completely misunderstood what he wrote :/

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Many.8419

Just because pugs call themselves speedrunners it doesnt make them one.
It’s like me advertising for PvP queue with top10 while I played 1 match.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

To be flat honest, my Engi and Ele don’t see much use either. The reasoning is very simple for me, F1-4. If my gaming mouse had four top buttons instead of 2, I’d run them more often. I just never found a key binding I liked to run across all the professions. Those two always become a pita.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Ranger. This needs to be removed: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Point_Blank_Shot

Many.8419

This skill works as intended, can’t see a single thing broken with it.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

I’ve never had a problem with Ranger, Engineer, Necromancer or Warrior. Even solo’d a champ with a minionmaster Necro, and several champs with Ranger.

I have had big problems with Elementalist and Thief because they are squooshballs.

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Ranger. This needs to be removed: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Point_Blank_Shot

I am the bear and I approve this.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Every profession have a fun utility skill to use

Guard wall of reflect
Mes Feedback , Blink
Ele , Mist , teleport
Necro : spectral stuff
Warrior : Physical skill .. stomp , bull’s charge
Engie : All kits .. notably the tool kit with the magnet skill
Thief : Stealth / Shadow step / Scorpion wire

Ranger ? ………. they are so boring.

Many.8419

Guard wall of reflect
Mes Feedback , Blink
Ele , Mist , teleport

this is a matter of personal taste I believe

I like ranger traps and lightning reflexes

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You still didn’t answer his question.

What is your definition of a speed run?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

To answer the speedrun vs fast pugs run question: I think it’s the difference of tactics used. If you look at a record run for AC for example, the strats they use are completely different from your normal “5k ap zerker ping gear” pug run. The level of coordination simply can’t be attained with pugs, which is why they’re not considered “speedruns”.

Things like full zerkers and stacking might are only a small part of what sets apart speedruns and pugging.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The problem is that selfish Rangers are clueless on when to use it. How detrimental it can be while playing in a group setting. It’s just creates bad blood amongst players often. Case in point, players will admit to using it to troll.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

This is a Barnum Statement that leaves no meaningful proposition for me to address :/
As you can’t make an insightful distinction for analysis and critical rebuttal, I will assume you are just still trolling.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Guard wall of reflect
Mes Feedback , Blink
Ele , Mist , teleport

this is a matter of personal taste I believe

I like ranger traps and lightning reflexes

THIS! I love my traps, I even got traits for them.
Short cooldowns + good AoEs besides my GS.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

IMO:

Least Played: I see about every single class multiple times a day, so not sure.
Most broken: Trait-wise+class mechanic, Ranger (no need for buffs just rework, the trait lines just don’t make sense and the synergy is limited)
Actually broken (eg bugged) would go to mesmer I think, slight changes in elevation can break so many of their skills… It is still very playable mind you, but good lord if sword 3 actually worked all the time…

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

IMO:
Most broken: Trait-wise+class mechanic, Ranger (no need for buffs just rework, the trait lines just don’t make sense and the synergy is limited)

I disagree. Ranger is the only profession where I actually get the traits I want AND the extra stats from traits fit my Knight gear perfectly. I would be disappointed if they changed something.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Well you want to remove the only thing that makes longbow viable ?
Look at thifs no one care
Look at d/d ele, no one cares
Stunlock wars, no one cares
Cele engie, no one cares
NO ONE CARES about any class, and you find rangers? That are like the most punished class? Sure we are annoying, but not OP, far from it… Rangers need rework in general. It’s very pointless class (i’m ranger main for 7 years, and i find this class junk in GW2).

You can’t take anything from rangers, basically we need general rework, because if you take anything from ranger it’ll be useless. And u can easily dodge this skill..

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Chaos.2108

Chaos.2108

Least played: I’d say mesmer/engineer.
Most broken:
-meaning buggy, mesmer.
-meaning “OP”, elementalist.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Rangers never met a ranger skill they didn’t want to buff.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is that selfish Rangers are clueless on when to use it. How detrimental it can be while playing in a group setting. It’s just creates bad blood amongst players often. Case in point, players will admit to using it to troll.

In my experience part of the problem is also that any time an enemy gets knocked back in a group situation people are so quick to blame rangers that some people never figure out where it’s actually coming from.

On one memorable occasion I, and about 3 other people, had to tell the commander 4 or 5 times there wasn’t even a ranger with us before he admitted that might not be the cause and we were able to work out it was a guardian’s Hammer of Wisdom that was doing it. Apparently the guardian in question had never paid attention to what effect their hammer had, other than the enemies health went down.

Having said that I do think this is…not so much a problem as a symptom of a problem with rangers. They don’t have a learning curve so much as a cliff. At first it’s very, very simple to start playing them and do ok (especially now you start with a longbow and 4/5 races can start with a bear) but to actually learn to play them well is difficult because even more so than the other professions I’ve played it requires having a really good knowledge of all the skills and traits available to you and the stats that affect them, and until you get to the higher levels and harder content there’s almost no incentive to learn that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

This is a Barnum Statement that leaves no meaningful proposition for me to address :/
As you can’t make an insightful distinction for analysis and critical rebuttal, I will assume you are just still trolling.

He’s saying that pugs aren’t speedrunners. You can’t speedrun in a pug since the whole point of speedrunning is to have everything figured out before hand in terms of tactics.

Many was responding to someone who was basically calling speedrunners elitists and not allowing necros into groups. Thats not true at all since there are many people who enjoy necros and run with them, that guy from rt comes to mind. Just because a “speedrun” pug kicked you doesnt make everyone who enjoys min maxing an elitist who hates other classes.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Keep your grubby paws of my Point Blank!
!http://i.imgur.com/TfIBpBi.jpg!

Has Engineer been fixed that good since I left?
It was usually the main topic in these threads back then.

Polish > hype

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Thanks everyone for your replies. When I say broken, I referring to the things that could use improvement for said profession. Speaking of the Necromancer, Minion AI is horrible for example. It should be a viable build in all aspects of gameplay. Right now, berserker builds are good in all forms of gameplay. I think this should be the case for every type of build for every class.

What you’re asking for is impossible.

There is a difference between “viable” and “meta.” Indeed, every build is “viable.” You can complete any content in this game with whatever build you want. But only one is considered “best.” And no matter what you do, there will always be one build, one setup, one type of gear that (even if marginally) will be better than others, and players will flock to those builds and gear in droves, and demand everyone else do so as well in order to play with them.

That’s a player-side problem, and there’s little a developer can do about it.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Necro

Usless in PvE – offers not group utility, mediocre cleave still, not top tier damage but atleast decent, no mobility, literally no reason to bring one

Needs help in PvP – Has no sustain, cannot handle CC, does not receive support in DS, no mobility

WvW – Well bomb bot, boon destroyer, actually useful and liked

Misc – Siphoning builds are useless and need a lot of work, Cast times (Spinal Shivers and Signet of Undeath for example) are too long, DS needs better balancing to allow some form of healing/regenerating lifeforce outside of power builds, the usual useless traits/badly placed one a lot of classes suffer from, etc.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

More from Many:

Frankly, I don’t think you know what you are talking about. I do speed runs with pugs everyday. Just look at the lfg listing…there is almost always groups listed for speed runs: people that want to run with other people that are using optimized builds and gears for the fastest possible kills, with plans to run the dungeon in the most optimal, fastest way possible……that is a speed run. Due to the potential for miscommunication and mishap as people in pug groups do not generally know each other and are not typically on communication software to coordinate the run, speed records are not going to be set. They are, nonetheless, speed runs in every other sense of the term. If you disagree with how I have defined a speed run, please provide us with your own definition of a “speed run”.

As a side note, I have no idea why you would call mtpelion’s post childish as you completely misunderstood what he wrote :/

So, when you speed run AC in a PUG how do you run it? Do you split up a bit to more quickly run each phase? Do you manipulate the NPCs to prevent bugging/slow running? Does the SPider queen even get an attack off? Are you running a full p1 in under 5 mins?

There’s meta runs with standard PUG quick run tactics, and then there’s Speed Runs, they’re different.

A Speed run of say CM will involve quite a few mesmer portals, in fact the mesmer isn’t even fighting much of the time just setting up portals so the team can just jump around and burn the bosses.

Your standard PUG meta groups use the strats that speed run guilds term “casual run” tactics, still quick, just not quite the same thing.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Least played: Dervish

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Necro

Usless in PvE – offers not group utility, mediocre cleave still, not top tier damage but atleast decent, no group mobility, literally no reason to bring one

I’ll extend on this — kitten ish minion AI, practically useless as condimancers in PvE groups because condi stacks are flawed. I put in group mobility because you still have warhorn to chug you along (locust swarm) for 15 sec. Personally I use scepter/dagger on my necro but he’s hardly ever in PvE groups/zergs because he’s nowhere near as useful as my other toons in the same situation. Hence the reason why he’s better taken out either solo or in a small but diverse party.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

Least played: Dervish

Oh god i miss dervish :*(

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

I main a Necromancer as a diremancer, I switch between corruptions and wells depending on the situation; wells are better served in WvW and EotM and I use corruption in Dungeons/fotM.

People whom are saying that Necromancers bring nothing to the table have probably never played one, or played one very poorly. I’d advise every person to try the class effectively before passing judgment on them.

:)

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

L Step.8659

I main a Necromancer as a diremancer, I switch between corruptions and wells depending on the situation; wells are better served in WvW and EotM and I use corruption in Dungeons/fotM.

People whom are saying that Necromancers bring nothing to the table have probably never played one, or played one very poorly. I’d advise every person to try the class effectively before passing judgment on them.

Anyone who has spent over 1 hour on necro, or looked at the necro forum for 30 mins could realize how many problems we have. Unless they’re seriously delusional. You have very rare instances where condi builds can be useful for things like husks, or dark fields to lifesteal through the Jade Maw, etc..but that’s like less than 1% of PvE content. And in PvP even people who hate terrormancers and lich cheese builds can see what sustain issues we have. I also hope by using wells in WvW/EotM you don’t mean you’re using dire gear! Because that’s silly!

But I probably don’t know, I might’ve played necro badly for over 5k hours.

Best NA rallybot on EU

DakotaCoty.5721

Anyone who has spent over 1 hour on necro, or looked at the necro forum for 30 mins could realize how many problems we have. Unless they’re seriously delusional. You have very rare instances where condi builds can be useful for things like husks, or dark fields to lifesteal through the Jade Maw, etc..but that’s like less than 1% of PvE content. And in PvP even people who hate terrormancers and lich cheese builds can see what sustain issues we have. I also hope by using wells in WvW/EotM you don’t mean you’re using dire gear! Because that’s silly!

I use Dire gear all round, and I don’t pvP with my necro.

If you have active speed clear teams in your guild and you know how to run with them, Necromancers are probably the most useful class you can have. If you’re pugging kitten as a Necro that just shouts all kinds of badness towards my ears (or rather eyes).

Necromancers have to constantly adapt their builds to be useful in all situations in some way; most won’t make the effort to do that, hence our bad reputation.

L Step.8659

If you have active speed clear teams in your guild and you know how to run with them, Necromancers are probably the most useful class you can have. If you’re pugging kitten as a Necro that just shouts all kinds of badness towards my ears (or rather eyes).

Necromancers have to constantly adapt their builds to be useful in all situations in some way; most won’t make the effort to do that, hence our bad reputation.

You’re missing the point. In PvE, dungeons especially the only things useful is how much damage you can do (necro has the worst amount of cleave), and what support you can bring that the team actually needs. This includes, reflects, blocks, aegis, fire fields for might stacking, blast finishers, smoke fields, mobility for skipping (warhorn puts you in combat so even that’s not good). Necros excel in condition manipulation and boonstripping, both of which are basically useless in dungeons, and people who try to run condi builds hinder any groups dps because it takes time to ramp up the damage and things usually melt before you have enough time if the other people are built properly.

Anything is viable, but there’s a reason necro is the least wanted/needed in most people’s opinions in the dungeon community.

Also you can’t really adapt your build to be useful if you’re running dire, because conditions are severly underpowered in PvE due to how fast things dies, how many classes also indirectly apply conditions, and things like wells should be used in a power build, unless you think your well of power or darkness is being useful. This is the kind of stuff that give necros a bad PvE reputation.

Best NA rallybot on EU

DakotaCoty.5721

Also you can’t really adapt your build to be useful if you’re running dire.

I saw this and didn’t bother reading the rest. It’s a typical response I see all the time – ironically, those are the people that spend half the time dead in FOTM 30+ or TA/Arah/CoE.

L Step.8659

I saw this and didn’t bother reading the rest. It’s a typical response I see all the time – ironically, those are the people that spend half the time dead in FOTM 30+ or TA/Arah/CoE.

Because not everyone is good enough to run zerker? Or some people aren’t using zerker builds therefore inflating the difficulty for them as the fights take longer than they should?

You cannot like it all you want, but you cannot argue with years of experience the dungeon forum community has and has shown in videos.

If what you do works for you then that’s great, but you can’t really claim necros are amazing when you don’t use the most optimal standards that dungeons are run by. You’ll never see a necro in a fastest path record at this point in time. Claiming other people lack knowledge when you’re the one dismissing what basically everyone who has mained the class and run dungeons every day is just not going to help the class get what it needs, or help our Necros are bad reputation.

Best NA rallybot on EU

DakotaCoty.5721

Because not everyone is good enough to run zerker? Or some people aren’t using zerker builds therefore inflating the difficulty for them as the fights take longer than they should?

You cannot like it all you want, but you cannot argue with years of experience the dungeon forum community has and has shown in videos.

If what you do works for you then that’s great, but you can’t really claim necros are amazing when you don’t use the most optimal standards that dungeons are run by. You’ll never see a necro in a fastest path record at this point in time. Claiming other people lack knowledge when you’re the one dismissing what basically everyone who has mained the class and run dungeons every day is just not going to help the class get what it needs, or help our Necros are bad reputation.

My points were emphasising that necromancers aren’t AS BAD as everyone makes out to be. I didn’t say they were amazing at anything. I’m well aware of how speed runs work as I do them myself on my necro and have done ever since I started playing one.

Most people think ‘speed runs’ mean joining a group that has ‘speed clear’ in the title, it’s really a lot more than that.