Projectiles are now homing missiles?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ravenhunt.2735

Ravenhunt.2735

Hi everyone,

yesterday i’ve seen something strange (for me personally) as i played against some enemies with rifles, bows and elementalists with staff skill projectiles (fireball, earth1 etc).

They flew in curves and hit me even if i was straving.
I’m playing this game for mor than 4 years now but that’s new for this sort of projectiles.
I’m not able to dodge them with movement anymore. o_O
A thief who shoots his barrage hits me with every single bullet. Rangers with every single arrow.
Fireballs form curves to hit me, after i move from the expected impact area.

Was there a patchnote about that?

I loved GW2 for this physically correct movement. But now it’s like in WoW! >_<

I have to do some testing, because it could be lag (but i had in every case around 30-40ms and the game uses a 60ms standard for their servers).

I know there are projectiles who ARE targeting, like the mesmer staff1 as an example. That was since i started playing.
But the same with bullets, arrows and fireball like skills is new to me.

Can someone test this also? Or have this experience since the last… 2 days or 3?

I want to know if there is something wrong on my side or if there was a undocumented change gamewise.
Maybe someone who want to test this also.

Ventari says: “Act with wisdom, but act”
Meme says: “Meme?”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve been noticing things like this for some time. It’s not consistent. For instance, in Ember Bay, Volatile Destroyer spit will change direction in midair to follow your strafe. Lava Elemental spit, on the other hand, does not. Some Destroyer attacks apply burn, etc. even if the projectile misses. I suppose the design intent behind this, if there is one, is that in order to avoid attacks, one must use the dodge mechanic (or block, reflect, etc.).

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Some ranged attacks are homing.. staff mesmer for example had homing missiles since launch.

Now staff mesmer is pretty non meta, but the thing has been ingame for the past well , nearly 5 years,

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Was there a patchnote about that?

Never an exact patch note. The tracking on non-tracking projectiles are a side-effect of when skills were updated with increased projectile velocity.

Too many people complained about not being to hit a moving target with projectiles, so Anet cranked up many ranged skills and this is the unexpected result.

Projectile physics on non-tracking projectiles with AOE have some tracking. Fireball is one of those. It’s more comparable when testing Winter’s Bite on Ranger’s axe.

Untraited, it’s a single-target projectile that won’t curve as much. When traited to become an AOE, it’ll start to track target movements when within a certain range threshold of the target.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Ravenhunt.2735

Well i’ve noticed the changes in projectile velocity. (Ranger was a huge one)
I was confused, yesterday i tested it with this pistol mobs in draconis mons (last waypoint) who shoot a barrag like skill at you like the mesmer illusion does.
They missed 2/3 of them only by straving. Well, it seems it works but thanks to the velocity changes (maybe) most of them hit you now and it’s “harder” to dodge such projectiles.

Well… i hate this at a small rate. Because you were/are able to dodge the firearrows from the jade champion in ember bay the whole time, when you are attentive. (I liked it this way, dodges only for real problem zones etc)

But this homing missle like fireballs bothered me.
Also some barrels from rifles… you have to be miles away now to dodge them with straving… gnah! (Well, it’s realistic… yes. I mean… we are not Neo from Matrix. XD)

Thanks for your replies.

PS:
I mentioned the mesmer staff1 as an example in my first post PaxTheGreatOne. XD
But thanks too.

(edited by Ravenhunt.2735)

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

It really depends on the weapon and the skill.

Engineer pistol generally fires in straight lines, except for pistol 3 (which has mild homing to it). Engineer rifle fires in straight lines, but the net shot also has a slight homing effect.

Ranger generally fires in straight lines, but the projectiles are so fast that they’re kind of hard to dodge anyway.

Warrior ranged weapons seem to fire in completely straight lines, except their pin down skill.

Most caster ranged weapons have some sort of homing effect, particularly mesmer.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I noticed the new Epidemic projectiles to change its trajectory.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

They heard we liked the homing rocks in BF.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The craziest thing is the skritt bottles. They track through dodging …

Just another case of GW2 being consistently inconsistent.

Ravenhunt.2735

Not only the skritt bottles behave like that now. -_-

I play since release, every class frequently.
I claim i have “some” experience with such skills. (Which one has the ability and which not)
And i won’t complain about that when i never noticed such a wired behavior now. ._.