in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Mobs prioritize high thoughness builds.

Proof that AP means nothing....

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Who is going in CoF with full PVT? just tell me who?

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

No they don’t. People need to stop spreading this garbage. Almost every mob has different aggro priorities, and even then different skills on each of those mobs will prioritize different conditionals.

There’s a reason why no good teams run an Anchor anymore, let alone AH (in any dungeon).

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We are more than the armor we wear. The weapon we wield. The AP we’ve accumulated. Etc Etc Etc

You just drove home the point I have tried making in sooooooo many threads, but everyone refuses to see.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

This is proof? Heh. Here’s some “proof” that says otherwise:

Just did a CM exp run with 3 people below 1k AP. All 3 were completely clueless. Instead of making it a quick 20-minute run, it took well over an hour because the 3 of them were downed/defeated nearly the whole time and refused to use waypoints to revive.

There’s a reason why no good teams run an Anchor anymore, let alone AH (in any dungeon).

Because zerkers are best.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No they don’t. People need to stop spreading this garbage. Almost every mob has different aggro priorities, and even then different skills on each of those mobs will prioritize different conditionals.

they in a lot of cases do. However cof p1 is easily soloable especially on a guardian. Even if they focus you you shouldn’t die.

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

AP means nothing if the guy is playing on an alt and is still learning the ropes of the profession/skills and not the dungeon.

AP means something if the guy is playing on one of his mains but doesn’t know the dungeon

AP means everything if the guy is playing on his main AND knows the dungeon extremely well.

Translation:
1. A noob is a noob and a pro is a noob when it comes to using new professions.
2. A noob is still a noob in the dungeon, but as long as follows instructions, he’s useful.
3. A pro is a pro and must be followed. He’s the leader from who you learn runs.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

(edited by mage.3570)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

lol I had 6k AP before I started learning all the dungeons. Just cause the guy has high AP doesn’t mean he is a dungeon crawler.

Heck, I have +8.5k AP and I don’t know how to do Arah.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

lol I had 6k AP before I started learning all the dungeons. Just cause the guy has high AP doesn’t mean he is a dungeon crawler.

Yeah, about the same here. At about 9.5k AP here and still haven’t even tried Arah. AP doesn’t necessarily mean they know how to do certain things. Heck, I can still manage to die in AC, Even though its the dungeon I have done the most. Everyone has off days, where they just aren’t playing up to their best.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

mage.3570

I guess you accumulated most of your AP from PvP?

It would be better if Anet split the AP from PvP and PvE to make AP better reflect the proper level of experience.

(edited by mage.3570)

mage.3570

Rest assured, if you see someone with a ‘Dungeon Master’ title, the higher the probability of a smooth and possibly fast run.

Vol.5241

It would be better if Anet split the AP from PvP and PvE to make AP more reflect the proper level of experience.

Nope, I don’t even do sPvP dailies. I’ve only done a sPvP daily ONCE!

Most of my AP is doing all the attainable achievements and PvE dailies since release.

A large portion of AP comes from dailies so if you’ve been doing them since release you have a huge headstart.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

It would be better if Anet split the AP from PvP and PvE to make AP better reflect the proper level of experience.

There’s relatively little AP to be gained from pvp and the effort to get that ap is monumental.

Most people get their ap from doing every daily every day.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

every guardian in FOTM 40+ run whit hight vitality and good survavility build you know, to support the party! except this one yesterday he was running full zerker 30/30/10/0/0. whit GS. I just wanted to kill myself.

Seen people refuse to acknowledge they rolls and they limits in groups.

edit: i forget, He was 9k+ AP.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

(edited by kishter.9578)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

the problem with AP is that i’ve earned more points from clicking on laurel vendors then I have from getting a legendary or getting dungeon master.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lol this is similar to the guy griping at me in the cliff side fractal. I have issues with lots of jumping (why i hate JPs so darn much), and he’s like, you have a lot of AP for jump puzzles! My was response was, doesn’t make me good at them, just makes me stubborn!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: zaybug.9284

zaybug.9284

AP is like age, people with a lot of AP or older folks have the OPPORTUNIY to have learned more than you.

Some people will have, others will not.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

congratulations, you realized that achievement points do not proof anything but having done various activities that reward achievement points. Did anyone claim anything different?

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Pugging is a dangerous road. You can get a bad group of PUGs and an easy run can turn into a nightmare. 30 minute run is not over an hour.

You really don’t have much to gauge the group you are with. If I see someone with high AP, I just figure he/she has been playing a little longer than someone with less than 1000.

Does that mean he/she is better? No, definately not always. But with the limited information I have to go by, I can use that to guess they have played a little longer and are hopefully a little more skilled at the required tactics than someone who doesn’t have that much AP.

That said, I don’t discriminate against people when PUGging for any reason. Unless they are just plain bad.

And I never give a guardian a hard time about dying. Guardians are the focus of the aggro the vast majority of the time, alleviating pressure off the rest of the team. If they die more there it is usually because they are getting the brunt of it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

However I will say that players with higher AP’s will on average be better players. They are more likely to know mechanics, know their class and have spent time learning the game. There will always be exceptions, but on average I find that players with >5k AP’s are much easier to play with then those with <1k AP’s.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

This game is the only i know that having something important really mean 2 things:

AP
1.You are a good player that have ended so many activities and contents. Or
2.You exploit the salvage cheat or Spam HOW before nerf.

Legendaries
1.You are a good player that have ended so many activities and contents due to complete you weapon gathering a huge amount of mats. Or
2.You spam COF 1 for like 3 months, have a moment of luck and the RNG god bless you.

Arah armor
1.You are a good player that have learned how to use you class, learn the fights and have a good coordination whit you party. Or
2.You spam arah p3 and have luck whit you pug party that haven’t wiped on lupis.

Even fractals weapon dont mean your a good player, just prove that you get luck doing you dialy 28-38-48 and get the skin and in some case no even in 48.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Mirta.5029

Rest assured, if you see someone with a ‘Dungeon Master’ title, the higher the probability of a smooth and possibly fast run.

well think of it this way. I got my extra AP by getting dungeon master for extra money. On P1 and P3 of arah I’ve spent 4 hours (each) and barely rolled past to the end of it. I bought Arah P4 and P2 because it infuriated me. Now I am good at some dungeons (CoE, Cof (even P3), SE, CM), however I’m crap at others (Arah, I hate Twilight Arbour). The fact that I have the title does not mean that I’m good at a particular dungeon that I might be trying to run.

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

I don’t think there is anything in this game that really proves you’re a good/bad player in general and I quite like it that way.

If you’re looking for stuff to judge people with, you’re probably not having enough fun.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

AP just means you’ve done a lot of things to get achievement points… that doesn’t mean you’re any good at doing those things.

I don’t see why people would consider it as an indicator of skill.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yes they do.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

This isn’t in any way official but it gives a good overview of aggro and possibilities around aggro management. Different mobs do respond uniquely in terms of aggro but, overall, toughness/armor can be said to generally draw aggro. Jeez, you only really need game experience to know that.

And, yes, it is more common than not for good teams to run an anchor guardian. This is simply the way the dungeon meta has developed and nothing has occurred to change it.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Oh, AP means “Achievement Points”. I thought it might have meant “armor points” or something.

Anyway, yeah it should be obvious to the casual observer that Achievement points isn’t, and never was, meant to be an evaluation of skill. Achievements are about time investment, and game dedication, and not efficacy. Most of the hardest content in the game isn’t about skill at all, but rather the game is like an elaborate puzzle in which figuring out the trick makes things easier.

It is kind of sad that so many people think this way, though. I have to constantly remind people that no, getting the achievements, or getting all S ranks on missions in a game, or getting 100% completion isn’t a sign of skill.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

Lol this is similar to the guy griping at me in the cliff side fractal. I have issues with lots of jumping (why i hate JPs so darn much), and he’s like, you have a lot of AP for jump puzzles! My was response was, doesn’t make me good at them, just makes me stubborn!

hahahah this is so funny

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Achievement points, not armor…

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Yes they do.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

This isn’t in any way official but it gives a good overview of aggro and possibilities around aggro management. Different mobs do respond uniquely in terms of aggro but, overall, toughness/armor can be said to generally draw aggro. Jeez, you only really need game experience to know that.

And, yes, it is more common than not for good teams to run an anchor guardian. This is simply the way the dungeon meta has developed and nothing has occurred to change it.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said that good teams DONT use an anchor, because it’s useless. I was correcting the blanket statement of “Mobs prioritize high toughness builds”, which is not unconditionally true. If what he said was true, 100% of the time, the person with highest toughness would be targeted by 100% of skills, which is not the case.

I’m pretty convinced that you aren’t apart of good teams, if you believe that good teams run an Anchor.

mage.3570

well think of it this way. I got my extra AP by getting dungeon master for extra money. On P1 and P3 of arah I’ve spent 4 hours (each) and barely rolled past to the end of it. I bought Arah P4 and P2 because it infuriated me. Now I am good at some dungeons (CoE, Cof (even P3), SE, CM), however I’m crap at others (Arah, I hate Twilight Arbour). The fact that I have the title does not mean that I’m good at a particular dungeon that I might be trying to run.

Well, you bought your title, I didn’t. Can’t assume that everyone who got that title did it through cheating. Now, I will digress and offer a solution to this problem I have seen in a game called Tera:

In Tera, you get a rating per dungeon. In other words, the more you complete a dungeon, the higher your rating (and hence experience) is for that dungeon. And the best part is, you can easily see who is experienced and who is not by simply inspecting their profile. Obviously, Tera is more hardcore MMO than GW2, so the possibility of these features being integrated into GW2 is close to zero.

Back to GW2:

Even though I mostly just mess with the TP these days, I can still run a vast majority of the dungeons without major issues. Arah can still give me some trouble, but DPS checks etc doesn’t matter to me anymore because I have a bunch of alts with extremely high DPS gear/trait sets. I am currently working on fully gearing my ranger. All other classes have been maxed already.

Not to mention, running five different dungeon paths gives +5 AP from Hobby Dungeon Explorer completion each time.

Mirta.5029

Well, you bought your title, I didn’t. Can’t assume that everyone who got that title did it through cheating. Now, I will digress and offer a solution to this problem I have seen in a game called Tera:

In Tera, you get a rating per dungeon. In other words, the more you complete a dungeon, the higher your rating (and hence experience) is for that dungeon. And the best part is, you can easily see who is experienced and who is not by simply inspecting their profile. Obviously, Tera is more hardcore MMO than GW2, so the possibility of these features being integrated into GW2 is close to zero.

Back to GW2:

Even though I mostly just mess with the TP these days, I can still run a vast majority of the dungeons without major issues. Arah can still give me some trouble, but DPS checks etc doesn’t matter to me anymore because I have a bunch of alts with extremely high DPS gear/trait sets. I am currently working on fully gearing my ranger. All other classes have been maxed already.

Not to mention, running five different dungeon paths gives +5 AP from Hobby Dungeon Explorer completion each time.

I was merely stating that not everyone with dungeon master will be good at all dungeons and not everyone with low AP will be bad at those
I would say that your suggestion is good, except that this is a more casual type of MMO and it will probably never be implemented due to it separating players.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Well, yes that’s how it is. If AP is collected by doing easy content and daily content that proves nothing of how good you are as a player.

I played LoL yesterday and a guy before we started playing said “i’ve played LoL for 3 years..i hope you’re not noobs”..the next thing that happens is he does stupid decisions, either run in solo and die or leave the team and don’t support us with his support abilities and really just blame everyone else. He must really be very ignorant if he haven’t learned anything in those 3 years of playing LoL.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i never checked the AP of my party member before.
AP usually reflects the age more than the skills, i for example have done all the jumping puzzle, and i still am not good at them. i also run all the dungeon available in the game and i can still die there (even if i know what to do doesn’t mean i can explain to others that easily or that people understand what you say, most of the time people say, yeah clear sure and than they didn’t understand what to do).
also i have almost 9k AP but if i play my ele, or for that matter whatever class is not a mesmer or a ranger i look like i just started the game with a lv 80. that is because i started as a ranger and spent most of the time as a mesmer. using the other class for world bosses or random exploration doesn’t make you better at them.
that said AP also reflects in some way the knowledge you have of the game, how some events works, where some things are done etc etc. and can also reflects some skills, but not all of them… you know that you can do the weapon mastery with ambient creatures?

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Why would achievements mean anything regarding skill or knowledge?

I can see them knowing where to farm slayers.

Maybe fractals since the one fractal achievement requires a lot of fractal runs to complete but that doesn’t mean they did anything past fractal level 2.

I don’t see how people could equate AP with skill or knowledge.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

It’s a pretty good measurement of skill imho because someone who sits at 7-10k AP pretty much played the game into the ground and know pretty much everything there is to know about the game. Also they are playing since launch

play hard , go pro.

The Mexican Cookie.3690

It’s not a flawless ‘measurement’ of a players ability, but it’s better than nothing, if you’re trying to avoid having too many potentially inexperienced players in your group.

Vol.5241

Maybe fractals since the one fractal achievement requires a lot of fractal runs to complete but that doesn’t mean they did anything past fractal level 2.

You do know that slayer achievements are only a fraction of the total achievement points that you can get? The maximum you can get is 624.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Mirta.5029

You do know that slayer achievements are only a fraction of the total achievement points that you can get? The maximum you can get is 624.

that is true. What is also true is that most of your achievement points will come from dailies and monthlies. A person with an old account can still do bad in dungeons.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

The AP system is to get rewards for the time you have played. There’s no difficult content except some dungeons, like a few Arah paths, fractas and if there was really tough content to tackle they would most likely done a seperate tab for Hardcore AP or something like that, to really show off your skill.

(edited by Zoid.2568)

Vol.5241

Yep. Let’s do some simple math.

At the minimum, 1 daily equals 1 achievement point (at some point it gave you more)

And at a minimum, you can do 5 a day.

So we are almost a year in game, so let’s round it to 350 days. If you did 5 dailies you would have at least 1750 points.

Then you throw in the sPvP dailies, which give 4 a day, and that gives you another 1400.

So a person who completes their dailies for both Pve and sPvP every day since launch should have a minimum of 3150 points from dailies.

Throw in the addition of extra dailies as well as the temporary point boost, you could get about 3500.

Then throw in the monthlies and you get a ton of points.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Neverender.7581

Neverender.7581

AP means nothing if the guy is playing on an alt and is still learning the ropes of the profession/skills and not the dungeon.

AP means something if the guy is playing on one of his mains but doesn’t know the dungeon

AP means everything if the guy is playing on his main AND knows the dungeon extremely well.

Just proof that AP means nothing and that is actually what the person KNOWS

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

High AP greatly increases the chances that the player is good, period.

Vol.5241

Just proof that AP means nothing and that is actually what the person KNOWS

AP means something but not everything.

i.e. The guy with 9000 achievement points is highly likely to know more about the dungeon mechanics than a guy who has 500 points. Key word is likely.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

AP always rewarded consistence and dedication to game rather than skill.

Do daily
Do monthly
Do Living Story crap

Bam, tons of achi points. The only limiting factor is the time, not the skill.

Then ofc somebody who has 7k APoints is supposed anyway to be playing since months, if not since launch…. but that’s another thing.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

(edited by AndrewSX.3794)

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I know very little about sPvP.

I know where to farm for some of the slayers. Haven’t done all and any slayers I’m doing to complete are as low level are as I can get because those die the fastest.

I’ve done all jumping puzzles but only know where a handfull are for monthly.

I know some weapon skills from thief and warrior but nothing from other classes that use the same weapon. Have yet to play any of the other professions. Any weapons that I’m trying to get my achievement done will be in as low level zone as possible because those critters die fastest. Just because I’ve killed 5k with my shield, does not mean I know how to actually use it, just know how to get the final blow for the achievement to count. I have no knowledge about any other profession. I’m familiar with thief but don’t have indepth knowledge like others, warrior I know a lot about but I don’t really vary my build beyond a few things and not very familiar with stuff like full DPS because I don’t usually run glass.

I’ve done fractals to level 10. Other dungeons I’ve done is CM, CoF, CE, and story mode for Arah. I don’t have any skill at dodging agony because I’m lazy in PvE and I don’t care to run past level 10 fractal. I’ll probably only do level 2 just for the achievement because those are the fastest. Other dungeons I’ll complete for the achievement but unless I have a race that a particular armor looks good with, I’ll end up skipping most.

Total AP available without daily is over 8k(I added it from the wiki, can’t remember the total.) Unless more is added to the other sections, I think the bulk we will be able to get will be living story and dailies.

My Ap is over 7k. I’ve been working on them but have only completed the Jumping Puzzle category and almost the crafting category(need gold and decon stuff.) I can’t tell you much about stuff to craft though I’ve level cap in all crafting. I have several slayer to go. Most of my AP has been dailies/monthlies and living story/events.

I know a little bit but not enough. My AP is not a very good indicator of my skill. I’m lazy in PvE but I’m quite active in WvW. My skill in WvW is not lazy variety like PvE.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

You don’t need to prove anything, nobody thinks AP has anything to do with skill.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I agree but… This isn’t Path2 Arah… this is COF.

This guy probably aggroes Deer & Moas and then finds a way to somehow die to them too in his spare time…

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Why not run with people with low AP? They gotta earn the AP at some point and learn.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So the moral of the OP’s story was “If you aren’t running full zerker, you’re a noob”.

Outstanding. Glad I wasted my time clicking on this thread.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Make elitism reportable.
Watch the suspensions.

/problemsolved