[Proposal] Reorganizing the achievement panel

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tilion.4062

Tilion.4062

Hello there,

The 9/9 patch aimed, among other things, to restructure the achievement panel so that the various categories are better presented. Without knowing if the post-patch structure was in purpose, having future content releases in mind, I’d like to take a moment to propose an easier to be perceived model. Feel free to discuss below or give any ideas on how we could achieve some clarity in the achievement panel. Please, keep it civilized and constructive.

Let’s start with the Story Journal category. Taking in mind the certain future expansion of this category due to its nature I’d say that we definitely are in need of some sub-categories here.

• Story Journal
    • Season 1
    • Season 2
      • Gates of Maguuma
      • Entanglement
      • The Dragon’s Reach, Part 1
      • The Dragon’s Reach, Part 2
    • Season 3

The General category is basically a dump at the moment. Things definitely need to be cleared out here. Basically it includes Dungeon stuff, Explorer stuff, Bosses and some other more generic achievements. My proposal is to split this into the 4 aforementioned categories. While we are at it, “Fashion” achievements should now be part of a collection so that this bug can also be fixed at the same time, as well as the achievements for minis. Mini collections should showcase which minis are part of each set and collections in general should provide you with a right click to “Buy on the TP” option for those items that are available through the TP.

• General
    • Hero
    • Tradesman
    • Slayer
    • Weapon Master
    • Community
    • Hall of Monuments
  • Explorer
    • General (The previous “Explorer” category is now a sub-category and needs a more generic name)
    • Dry Top
    • Jumping Puzzles
  • Bosses
    • General (The previous “Bosses” category is now a sub-category and needs a more generic name)
    • Triple Trouble
    • Tequatl

The Dungeon category really needs a way to let new players know which paths they’ve already completed on their account. I had proposed a system a couple of months ago that would take this burden away from the achievement panel and intergrate it on the map. In any other case an achievement panel implementation would come in handy.

• Dungeons
    • General (The previous “Tyria” category is now a sub-category. I don’t like the current name as it gives false hopes that one day we’ll see Cantha in game)
    • Fractals of the Mists
    • Twilight Arbor Aetherpath
  • Collections
    • Basic Collections
    • Rare Collections
      • Fashion
      • Miniatures
    • Black Lion Collections

The Competitive category consists of achievements related to the activities, some that are related to sPvP and those that tie to WvW. We need 3 sub-categories here and while we are at it a fix for those Spring WvW Tournament achievements that show multiple times in the WvW achievement category.

• Competitive
    • Activities
      • Keg Brawl
      • Sanctum Sprint
      • Southsun Survival
      • Crab Toss
      • Belcher’s Bluff
    • World vs World
      • General (The previous “World vs World” category is now a sub-category and needs a more generic name)
      • Edge of the Mists
      • WvW Fall Tournament 2014 (Or any other currently ongoing Tourmament)
    • Structured PvP
      • PvP Conqueror

The Historical category remains as it is. It’s purpose is clear and inevitable

• Historical

So, what do you guys think?

~~ DragonSeason.com ~~

(edited by Tilion.4062)

Posted by: Ztepam.9327

Ztepam.9327

Totally agree! Especially about the Miniature collection under the Collection Tab, and as the other collections, show every mini on each tab, to know what minis we need to get and the ones we already have, this must be fixed!

This restructure looks really good!

Posted by: Achilles.5108

Achilles.5108

I agree in all. I really hope that some day they will wake up and fix the bug with the cultural armor that we bought from pvp with glory and now it doesn’t show it in the achievments. There isn’t a chance in a million to buy them again, if you are thinking of that ArenaNet.

Posted by: Annette.6278

Annette.6278

Great idea! Agree with it. Thanks for sharing.

GW2 is almost a perfect MMORPG. Please, DON"T make it in such way like we are stupid.

Posted by: cobalt.1846

cobalt.1846

Awesome proposal. Achievements would be a lot cleaner and the dungeon path idea would be great as well… i haven’t finished dungeon master and probably won’t because i have no idea which paths i have done in a lot of the higher dungeons.

Tilion.4062

Any corrections or amendments that could make the panel more sleek?

~~ DragonSeason.com ~~

cobalt.1846

The word General is used too often.. One idea is for to change the first area to

Hero
-Personal Glory <-this might get confused with pvp
-Tradesman
-Slayer
-Weapons Master
-Community
-Hall of Monuments

Explorer
-Adventures
-Dry Top
-Jumping Puzzles

Bosses
-Big Bads
-Tequatl
-Triple Trouble

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Your list makes a lot more sense then Anet’s one atm. If they don’t implement this… would be shame.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Tilion.4062

The word General is used too often.. One idea is for to change the first area to

Hero
-Personal Glory <-this might get confused with pvp
-Tradesman
-Slayer
-Weapons Master
-Community
-Hall of Monuments

Explorer
-Adventures
-Dry Top
-Jumping Puzzles

Bosses
-Big Bads
-Tequatl
-Triple Trouble

Indeed, hence I mentioned so in the brackets next to it.

Does everybody like Cobalt’s suggestions? Shall we go with these? Does anybody else have any names to suggest for these sub-categories?

I don’t like “Big Bads” that much to be honest, but I’m quite fond of the rest.

~~ DragonSeason.com ~~

Posted by: MARKONINI.4153

MARKONINI.4153

This would be awesome

Tinypaws / Tiny The Charrdian / Marko The Guardian

Guardian has no alternative :)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I agree with everything you’ve said but especially the show which dungeons paths you’ve done/haven’t done thing. I have wished for something like that since I first got the game.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’d like to see it reorganized in this way: (including suggestions for new achievement categories and merges/changes to existing categories to remove finally its so heavy discontinued look, giving it a frame, upon which Anet can build up forward on)

First the Main Categories:

• Story
  • Assignments
  • Combat
  • Exploration
  • Competition
  • Social

Story
Has as Sub Categories then:

• Hero
  • Living Journal
  • Historical
  • Fractals of the Mist

The Living Journal has then again Sub Categories for each single Season, 1,2 ,3 and ongoing

Assignments

• Dailies
  • Weeklies
  • Monthlies
  • Order Missions
  • Guild Missions

Combat

• Weapon Master
  • Slayer
  • Bosses
  • Finishing Moves

The old Boss Achievement Categoriy will get redesigned and each Boss will receive its own Sub Category under Bosses for Achievements.

Exploration

• Explorer
  • Regions
  • Continents
  • Dungeons
  • Collections
  • Tradesman
  • Fashion
  • Jumping Puzzles

Dungeons itself will become for each Dungeon each of its paths a Sub Category amogn which the Twilight Arbor Aether-Path Achievements will get integrated among the achievements for the other Path Achievements of their fitting Dungeons

Competition

• Structured PvP
  • World versus World PvP
    Under WvW PvP you find then again Sub Categories for WvW Tournaments as like the Edge of the Mist also

Social
Has the Sub Categories then:

• Help and Advices
  • Activities
  • Minigames (Stuff like Super Adventure Box)
  • Community
  • Hall of Monuments
  • Housing
  • Guilds

In my opinion there should be no “general” category". With a properly categorized and sorted system, there’s no need for a general category at all in my opinion and a category system for achievements without a general category also looks more well thought out and far more clearly to look at.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Tilion.4062

I like your structure Orpheal although it looks more towards the future. That is in case they introduce some of they newly added stuff that you present here.

Also, I can’t see them hiding Dailies, Monthlies and Collections deeper in the tree.

Overall though your list is pretty neat.

~~ DragonSeason.com ~~

cobalt.1846

Had a few more ideas on this…

Story Journal
-Season 1
-Season 2
—Gates of Maguuma
—Entanglement
—The Dragon’s Reach, Part 1
—The Dragon’s Reach, Part 2
-Season 3

Hero
-Bragging Rights (could also add a title : Braggart) this would be the stuff in the hero area right now)
-Tradesman
-Slayer
-Weapon Master
-Community
-Hall of Monuments

Explorer
-Adventures (this would be the stuff in the explorer area right now)
-Dry Top
-Jumping Puzzles

Bosses
-As Orpheal put in his idea this should probably be expanded so that each boss has its own area)
-Triple Trouble
-Tequatl

Dungeons
-As with the bosses above, if they don’t implement tillion’s idea for path completion then they could break it up for each dungeon and give each path its own achievement.. hint hint anet this really needs to be put in, either in the achieve panel or tillion’s idea but it needs doing)
-Fractals of the Mists
-Twilight Arbor Aetherpath

Collections
-Basic Collections
-Rare Collections
—Fashion
—Miniatures
-Black Lion Collections

Competitive
-Activities
—Keg Brawl
—Sanctum Sprint
—Southsun Survival
—Crab Toss
—Belcher’s Bluff

-World vs World
—WvW Combat Log (current wvw achieves)
—Edge of the Mists
—WvW Fall Tournament 2014 (Or any other currently ongoing Tourmament)

-Structured PvP
—PvP Conqueror

What do you think?

Tilion.4062

I like the names but as I said above they need to add more achievements in those categories first if they look into expanding them further and I kinda doubt they’ll do so anytime soon. For example, each boss only has one related achievement at the moment .

~~ DragonSeason.com ~~

(edited by Tilion.4062)