Proposal: gemstore item to remove time gating

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ListenToMe.5130

ListenToMe.5130

time gating is getting old. offer an item in the gemstore called the asuran time neutralizer or some kitten like that for around $20.00.

people who don’t have time for this kitten, are happy it’s done, and people who want to take weeks and months, so be it.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are you asking for ANet to sell a Tardis in the gemstore?

That might cost more than $20. What with development costs and all.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

P2W? No thanks.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

P2W? No thanks.

Pay to win what exactly? Race to make legendaries? Do they even have those?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

If you are willing to spend 20 bucks each day you wanna skip time gates.
I say sure go ahead anet.
Maybe you can ask your guild or friends if they are willing to craft you daily stuff if you compensate the full material cost of both items?

If you get a no and are on eu servers I can hit you up for a 150% material price bud

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

In a way there is. Buy gems convert to gold and good to go.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

What does “time gating” mean?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Normally when people are complaining about “time gating” they’re referring to things you can craft only once per day per account like mithrilium or charged quartz.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

some items can only be crafted once a day. (per account)

whoops Pifil was faster ^^

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Thanks both of you.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Time gating is the forced limitation of production and purchase of items:

Things timegated:

• Charged quartz ( <- pretty annoying) for an armor you need 30 and thios will take a full month to fuse. This can be done beforehand yes… but still…
  • All the mats made with ecto refinement for T7 production (ascneded mats) to create artificial scarcity
  • Several things bought at vendors for achievements,
    * the wayfarer’s henge backpack, due to the max amount of stuff able to be bought ina day… (druid stones)
    * the peach at lake doric (once a day, if you want to bring and alt and get the same bonus it needs to be a day later)
  • all mats from LS3 maps with exception of bitterfrost frontier. (nodes dissapearing after a certain amount of strokes, creating artificial scarcity

Al these things create a forced period you will have to wait, This is the “Time-gate”

Creating this mechanic ingame to lengthen player interest is seen as an instigator forrepeditive content and unfair to altoholics (with more characters you can normally farm more.)
If you have more character to equip it’s only fair to allow this to be happening. If content needs to be capped (so why should it be?), cap it based upon the amount of slots a person has/ uses so he can maintain a comparable gain on more characters. I doubt ppl with 60 alts will run all 60 alts through bitterfrost in a row.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Since timegating creates value and is a valid way for people to make gold ingame by selling their timegated materials,

While at the same time removing gold from the overall gold supply (via TP tax),

I doubt those 20$ you propose would make up for the damage this idea would do to the games economy.

If you can’t wait, spend those 20$ on gems, convert to gold and buy the timegated materials you need.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

If you have more character to equip it’s only fair to allow this to be happening. If content needs to be capped (so why should it be?), cap it based upon the amount of slots a person has/ uses so he can maintain a comparable gain on more characters. I doubt ppl with 60 alts will run all 60 alts through bitterfrost in a row.

my opinion on this:
it’s only “fair” to not allow this.
How can it be considered fair that a player basically has the same progress on 60 chars at once that I have on a single char?
Or on the other hand, why is it “unfair” that you have to put more or less the same amount of effort into every individual character?
by your example, someone with 60 alts wouldn’t have a “comparable” gain, but a 60x higher gain than someone with only 1 char.
Alts, Twinks, or whatever you want to call them, already profit from the resources gathered on the first/main char.
Also, people would “abuse” it and create Alts just to craft stuff for their main char.
So in other words: they don’t use it to gear 60 characters as fast as I do with 1, but gear 1 character 60x faster than me.

I’m pretty sure the most important reason for ANet to implement this “timegating” was exactly that; creating a “wall of time” for players who would otherwise create tons of gear within a couple hours.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

P2W? No thanks.

Ascended/legendary gear in WvW faster than usual.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If anyone has played Lotro, this suggestion sounds identical to their mithril coin system. Coin are bought from the in game store and can be used to reset certain daily quests, festival quests, access waypoints and a variety of other time gated things ( although unusually not crafting).

It seems to work very well there and it isnt pay to win, but Im not convinced it fits gw2 quite as well. Id rather they just removed more timegated elements instead, since some seem outdated at this point (charged quartz for eg) and add only an arbitrary time gate.
Is it really that much of an issue if a player crafts their gear in a day instead of a week?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

It’ll affect a lot of the markets for things like Deldrimor Steel and so on. At the moment your daily Mithrilium can be converted to a Deldrimor Steel Ingot and sold for 7g 16s – 7g 95s for a profit of about 2g 38s.

If there wasn’t a daily limit and you could craft as much Mithrilium as you want then that profit margin would rapidly drop to almost nothing. So the time gating is worth 2g 38s.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

if their is any sort of so called time gating it is only with crafting ascended items . which would be nice to see otherwise not seen or noticed at all any other type of so called time gating . other than nodes and that is not really a problem at all.

and it should not be put in gem store at all that in my book is pay to win

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: ListenToMe.5130

ListenToMe.5130

for context, I’ve been in the process of crafting the druid backpiece, and to have to wait each kitten day to kill another boss/complete hearts in order to acquire runestone fragments is very monotonous when forced to complete this task EVERYDAY in hopes of reaching the end goal. besides economy, timegating forces the zone to become active and filled with many players killing champs and collecting loot. so, if I could buy all runestones in a single day, i would have already acquired the ascended backpiece in ONE DAY and left the zone forever weeks ago. so, in this scenario, anet loves timegating.

i would gladly pay a subscription each month to remove time gating. I don’t see this as P2W. 20-30 dollars per month is a reasonable monthly fee to remove time gating and it’s 100% optional.

am i the only crazy person here who would spend this amount of money to remove a timegated mechanic?

likely, most people would use it for specific goals and cancel their membership before renewal, or maybe there will be a 24 hour option.

(edited by ListenToMe.5130)

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

Sounds like something that would cost 2000 dollars, not 20

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

If you fail to see how this thing is a P2W it is ok, but still been.
Like someone said, $2000 per month / (IMO here) $20 per day sounds more closer to reality.
Your idea is not crazy, and sure many people will share, the crazy part of the idea is the cost of the item. The thing is you are not seeing is how this would affect the economy if the price is set as low as you propose.
Have fun.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

P2W? No thanks.

Ascended/legendary gear in WvW faster than usual.

Theres been ample time for anyone who wants to make ascended gear for wvw to make those already.

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Dun nun nun nun, dun nun nun nun. Dun nun nun nun
Wooo eeee ooooo!

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

Posted by: Jojo.6140

Jojo.6140

This would only work as a single-time use item. Like a token for 800 gems that can be consumed and then resets the time-gated crafts for that day. But since you could trade those gems to gold and outright buy most of that time-gated stuff, such an item would probably end up like the upgrade-extractors, wich hardly anyone uses.

As for those timegates on the ls3-gathering nodes and some vendors, its to keep the maps populated.

(edited by Jojo.6140)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One of the reason that there’s a time gate on certain recipes is to artificially increase the value of the products. Deldrimor dowels are worth more than the metal and wood that goes into making it precisely because we can only make mithrilium and spirit wood 1x/day.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

my opinion on this:
it’s only “fair” to not allow this.

Your opinion. And I welcome discussion. I have not stated any means to show this should be implemented so fair or not fair is just a personal hunch at this time

How can it be considered fair that a player basically has the same progress on 60 chars at once that I have on a single char?

In no way this progression you fear could ever happen cause you’d only remove or modify the timegate, not the quantity of gear you need to collect with maximum 1 character at a time…. So the costs would rise 60 fold as well for the person with 60 alts.

Or on the other hand, why is it “unfair” that you have to put more or less the same amount of effort into every individual character?

If I have put in more time and effort to get my 25 or 60 characters, then why is it fair I need to be forced to wait (time gate is forced waiting) =25 times or 60 times longer IF I’d have acces to the materials and currencies to buy the things needed to progress…

by your example, someone with 60 alts wouldn’t have a “comparable” gain, but a 60x higher gain than someone with only 1 char.

No they would not. if ppl would have enough resources to BUY they stuff needed to craft the timegated mats. This would require 60 times longer gathering or 60 times as much cash….. I think the benefits would only hold true for the moments some things get to be released.

A theroretical thing: Celestial gets to be META for everything: If you want 1 character in celestial armor it takees you 30 days for the timegate, if you want 60 it will take you 5 years. Now think what would happen if you want to do all weapons as well…

Alts, Twinks, or whatever you want to call them, already profit from the resources gathered on the first/main char.

Also, people would “abuse” it and create Alts just to craft stuff for their main char.

Yes they could. At a cost.

So in other words: they don’t use it to gear 60 characters as fast as I do with 1, but gear 1 character 60x faster than me.

yes they would at a cost of minimally 60 times the cost of the needed mats, of mats whcih are likely to spike (spikes are already often 200-1000% of prices when new things release, calculating for this effect prizes would be 120-600 times the cost). In which case some ppl would instantly be done and nearly bankrupt and the economy would timegate the things for the rest of sane part of the community

I’m pretty sure the most important reason for ANet to implement this “timegating” was exactly that; creating a “wall of time” for players who would otherwise create tons of gear within a couple hours.

continues>>

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

-continued-

Ehm… I have 24 lvl 80’s and they all have acces to their OWN ascended gear… that’s in all but 3 characters full armor(S) , weapons, (foten with alternate sets) trinkets, backs…
That’s 25 ascneded armors, 33 ascended backitems, 135 ascneded weapons and 33 ascneded trinket SETS, not including all rings and stuff in my bank….
The pre’s I made to create my 7 legendaries and my legendary back have cost some serious mats as well…

I’d suggest: 1 Timegated production per 5 build up (lvl 80) slots, I am aware some gating must remain to keep some artifical scarcity: so I’d say mats could be gated based upon filled slots. This gate would allow ppl to produce a little faster on large accounts and I’ll be honest it would allow for a more market related economy more based on availability and demand then it would be on a fixed rule which is unfair to groups of players no matter how you look at it…
It also removes the threat of ppl getting their accounts to 60 or 70 toons (nice for A-Net if they buy 50 slots? And need to gear them) to make 60 to 70 of each t7 daily (whcih would cost ~300 gold for the steel, 300 gold for the wood, 400 gold for the cloth and 500 gold for the leather daily (1500 gold investment for the mats to make a mat with a removed timegate which no longer ads any networth) Yes, t7 would be 1-2 gold cheaper on avg.

So when the timegate would be (partially) lifted I could compete with others and keep my 25 l80 characters in the same shape in times the time as other players could do for their characters if I wanted to, instead of being artificially forced to take 25 times longer for my characters then a person with his single character. This has just 1 problem: I could produce stuff at launch at 5 times his speed but again: ONLY IF I COULD PROVIDE THE MATERIALS…

And trust me, if I’d get 1 extra craft opportunity per 5 characters I could make 5 t7 or charged quartz mats a day @ 25 characters IF I COULD PROVIDE THE MATERIALS… this still limits production!

It’s not: We lose the timegate now, so ppl can go completely idiotic. They might if they are extremne flippers and have an nearly infinite amount of cash, but even then economy would correct this behaviour with price spikes and a harsher reaction to bulk purchases and such.

I would mean some things could be done faster and the pressure would stress the market forcing an even more volatile Tradingpost SO this would correct all problems instantly : IF I COULD PROVIDE THE MATERIALS would be the balancing factor.

Compared to a guy having 1 main and no alts that’s a serious problem while dealing with the timegate!

Thats why ppl playing 1 main tend to have 10k+ gold and manipulate the TP
-and-
that’s why I never have cash cause I’m always trying to keep up with gearing my 25 characters.

SO:
I’d say:

• Make a timegate based upon the amount of characters
  • I am however aware some gating must remain to keep some artifical scarcity so I’d say mats could be gated based upon filled slots. 1-5 1 timegated mat, 6-10 2 timegated mats, 20-25 5 timegated mats, 55-60 12 timegated mats per day for production purposes only. (In 2 years when everybody would have ascneded gear, ascendeds would drop in cost and in value to exotic levels if there was no real market left.)
    This modified gate would allow ppl to produce a little faster on large accounts and I’ll be honest it would allow for a market economy more based on availability and demand then it would be on a fixed rule whcih is unfair to groups of players no matter how you look at it…
  • The TP will regulate the prices for mats; prizes would rise if some things could be produced a lot, ascneded gear would get cheaper and easier obtainable especially on accounts with more slots
  • The ppl with multiple characters could build faster if they wanted to but will be balanced by prices and scarcity of materials. This is because you might have 25 characters but you can only play 1 at a time. Even if you could make 5 t7 mats daily just think of the costs! Do you produce 500 mithril ingots each day? or a multiple?
  • It would allow ppl on more populatyed accounts a way to earn some added money, yes. But it will not last forever.
  • I would be AGAINST an item to remove the timegate and consider it P2W
  • I am against timegates as a whole and find the concept not following/ abiding the play how you want motto originally used to market this game.

(for me this discussion is mostly valid for the t7 and charged quartz, but not as much for the achievement timesgates which are a cheap way of lengthening content to begin with and are a lame way of developers to lengthen content, forcing players to come back, even if there is nothing new to experience anymore.)

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)