Proposed change to repair NPC

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What about this for making players lives easier: when you talk to a repair NPC, he doesn’t ask whether you want a repair, he just does it. It costs nothing anyway. So when you talk to him, he says: “I’ve just repaired your armor,” and then the vendor window opens and you can sell your stuff.

(Personally, I think the entire repair mechanic is worthless. The behavior Anet believes it encourages is: “I must play better in order to not break armor,” when in reality it only creates the automatic behavior: “I see a repair NPC, I must go and talk to him.”)

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

That, in my opinion, would not really be necessary. Repair is simple enough as it is and if they were going to do that I think it would be better for them to just remove the armor damage mechanic rather than make even more changes to armor repairs.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: Doombringer BG.3740

Doombringer BG.3740

I agree with OP. I mean, it costs so much time and effort to make that extra click.

/sarcasm

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Personally, I’ve always felt the repair NPCS were totally unnecessary, even when u used to have to pay for repairs. They should get rid of them and simply add a repair tab to all merchants. That way, whenever u sell stuff, you can also repair your armor at the same NPC.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I’ve always felt the repair NPCS were totally unnecessary, even when u used to have to pay for repairs. They should get rid of them and simply add a repair tab to all merchants. That way, whenever u sell stuff, you can also repair your armor at the same NPC.

Then you’d be able to spawn a BL Merchant with the item for it, and repair armor too. They’d have to stop selling the armor repair item, or make it a LOT cheaper.

Also, I’m actually hoping for a boss that uses an attack that directly damages armor. It would be an interesting “Must Avoid” attack that isn’t a one-shot kill. That would lose a lot of the threat if someone can pop a merchant at the edge of the fight for people to use to repair damaged armor.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A lot of newer mechanics have reduced the number of ‘accept’ clicks we have to do. When offering ‘rubble’ to repair forts in Silverwastes, you don’t have to click ‘accept’ as we do in collection events in the original maps.

I agree that the repair process isn’t onerous and doesn’t need to be changed for its own sake. However, I would like to see all NPCs change their behavior to match that in the s/w: if there’s only one meaningful response, then make it happen automatically.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

No, the NPC needs additional dialog! They should talk about the local taverns while they’re fixing up your stuff. They should be telling you each step and make jokes about dropping your pants or bashful stutterings when you make small talk with them while you’re armorless.

These NPCs work tirelessly to make sure the heroes of Tyria can continue to function smoothly, why sweep their contributions further under the rug?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

They need to either add back in a repair cost or just remove repair in general. If they added back in the cost, it would at least function as a gold sink, with how it is currently it is pointless.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They need to either add back in a repair cost or just remove repair in general. If they added back in the cost, it would at least function as a gold sink, with how it is currently it is pointless.

They took away the charge for repair as ANet felt the cost of way pointing to and then back after having your gear repaired was enough of a gold sink, and found that new players didn’t like being triple tapped in the pocket every time they had to repair. It was done in the name of player retention. Telling people they have to pay again would annoy people, and go against the player retention data ANet have.

In short it will never go back to a gold sink.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

They took away the charge for repair as ANet felt the cost of way pointing to and then back after having your gear repaired was enough of a gold sink, and found that new players didn’t like being triple tapped in the pocket every time they had to repair. It was done in the name of player retention. Telling people they have to pay again would annoy people, and go against the player retention data ANet have.

If new player retention was the issue(which I doubt it was), there is a very common and simple solution to that. Repair costs only apply when you reach X level. However as stated they should either add it back in or remove it, because right now it’s a pointless “feature” that seems to exist only to annoy.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If new player retention was the issue(which I doubt it was), there is a very common and simple solution to that. Repair costs only apply when you reach X level. However as stated they should either add it back in or remove it, because right now it’s a pointless “feature” that seems to exist only to annoy.

It exists as an indirect gold sink. People waypoint to a repair merchant, repair, then waypoint back. If they removed it, they would lose a gold sink. It’s also there to keep people spread out. Think about it. No repairs, the game would just be a non stop zurg. I have no issues with it the way it is.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

No, the NPC needs additional dialog! They should talk about the local taverns while they’re fixing up your stuff. They should be telling you each step and make jokes about dropping your pants or bashful stutterings when you make small talk with them while you’re armorless.

These NPCs work tirelessly to make sure the heroes of Tyria can continue to function smoothly, why sweep their contributions further under the rug?

As a PNP GM, I well understand the value of flavor text. However, I doubt the MMO audience cares. The casual, complete disregard for quest text in other games suggests I’m right.