Protecting myself and my assets

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This may seem like an odd post, but please stick with me a second.

Without going into any details. For a while now, I have felt increasingly nervous about putting time and effort into this game. The reason is that due to company policy, I don’t feel confident that I am protected from account termination.

In light of recent events, I am looking for ways to protect myself and my in-game assets. Meaning, I would like to hear your advice regarding how to make sure that if my account is terminated, my girlfriend and/or friends who choose to continue playing, will have access to anything of value.

Is the guild bank the best option?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Maybe the best way would simply be to not abuse people or post personal attacks?
That would protect you from “account-termination” (which, btw, is only for the forum as far as I am aware, not ingame).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Maybe the best way would simply be to not abuse people or post personal attacks?
That would protect you from “account-termination” (which, btw, is only for the forum as far as I am aware, not ingame).

This is correct:

So from this point forward, everybody who personally attacks a member of the studio will get an immediate 2 week forum suspension on the first violation. Any further attack on studio members will result in a permanent termination of your posting rights.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Arenanet is not banning people for nothing. Why would you get banned ?

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Make a guild bank and store all your valuables in it. Make sure that relevant parties have access to it, so that they can withdraw/deposit.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I do my best. However, based on experience it isn’t always in my hands to determine what is and isn’t considered abuse/personal attacks.

That said, I’m not here to discuss forum policy and I want that made clear. I just feel that based on said policy, I need to know the best way to protect my assets in-game.

It is clear that discussing policy will not work, so my only option is to find ways to make sure that in the event of account termination, all my time spent in-game isn’t completely wasted.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Make a guild bank and store all your valuables in it. Make sure that relevant parties have access to it, so that they can withdraw/deposit.

If I create a guild, and am then terminated, does the guild remain? If it does, do they retain the rights to take things out?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

How can you NOT know what is abuse and/or personal attacks?

“I find this release bad because of this, this and this” = Alright

“I find this release bad because ArenaNet’s devs are useless and don’t have a clue about what they are doing” = Personal attacks.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This is correct:

So from this point forward, everybody who personally attacks a member of the studio will get an immediate 2 week forum suspension on the first violation. Any further attack on studio members will result in a permanent termination of your posting rights.

I have no interest in discussing forum policy that can not be discussed. Sorry.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

“I find this release bad because ArenaNet’s devs are useless and don’t have a clue about what they are doing” = Personal attacks.

I have no interest in discussing forum policy that cannot be discussed. Sorry.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

He didn’t say he didn’t know the difference.

He’s saying ultimately it’s not up to him to decide. Yes, you have the black and the white, but the grey areas in between could go either way.

I think the best advice is to criticise the content, not the developer.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Arenanet is not banning people for nothing. Why would you get banned ?

Good question, but that is not in my hands to determine. I can’t say much beyond that.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Thats 1 way but some items are account bound.

Really the best way to avoid being ban is not to break the rules like insulting other players or use exploits etc.

LHound.8964

This is correct:

What?
I was just quoting the actual rule, to back up lordkrall’s statement.

You won’t be banned from the game unless you cheat in the game! If you have doubts if you are doing is legit, stop doing it! According to the forum rule, you wont get a game ban, even you make a personal insult to the team!

No discussion of the rules made!
/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Thats 1 way but some items are account bound.

Really the best way to avoid being ban is not to break the rules like insulting other players or use exploits etc.

I agree with you completely. However, as I’ve said, that is not in my hands to determine.

Yes, account bound items will be lost unfortunately. I’m mostly concerned with gold, mats, items, etc. Anything of value really.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This topic is precisely what they meant by “cleverly disguised” personal attacks.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This is correct:

What?
I was just quoting the actual rule, to back up lordkrall’s statement.

You won’t be banned from the game unless you cheat in the game! If you have doubts if you are doing is legit, stop doing it! According to the forum rule, you wont get a game ban, even you make a personal insult to the team!

No discussion of the rules made!
/cheers

I know, but I don’t want this thread mod-locked if one decides it is veering into moderation/policy discussion. As I’ve said, I don’t have control over what any specific mod feels is, or isn’t something, so it is best to simply avoid it.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

If I create a guild, and am then terminated, does the guild remain? If it does, do they retain the rights to take things out?

I cant imagine the guild wouldnt remain. Terminating one account shouldnt punish potentially innocent guild members. That’s a good question for support.

LHound.8964

This topic is precisely what they meant by “cleverly disguised” personal attacks.

errr… or this is too cleverly disguised or i’m too dumb to figure it out…

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The policy is unclear exactly on what the moderators would find as insulting and a personal attack. It is vague, and can lead to a lot of misinterpretation.

But on to your concern, best bet is to get a personal guild for you and your friends. If you are okay with sharing those items and gold with them at all times, put it all in there. As long as you trust your friends, go for it. It’s the only way to safe guard “your” assets.

The thing is as well, the “warning” talks about forum rights being removed, nothing about your actual game account. So if you get permanently banned from the forums, there is nothing stating that your game account will be permanently banned. Just your forum account.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I am by no means “cleverly attacking” anyone. Policy is policy and it has been made clear that it can not be discussed, which I have no interest in doing any longer.

I’ve accepted the policy and with that, I have accepted the consequences. I am looking for the best advice for keeping valuable items from being lost.

I’m still looking for an answer about creating a guild, will it be lost if my account is terminated? Would it be better for someone else to create the guild that I can place all my items into?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

The policy is unclear exactly on what the moderators would find as insulting and a personal attack. It is vague, and can lead to a lot of misinterpretation.

But on to your concern, best bet is to get a personal guild for you and your friends. If you are okay with sharing those items and gold with them at all times, put it all in there. As long as you trust your friends, go for it. It’s the only way to safe guard “your” assets.

Yes, I trust my girlfriend.

I’ve never actually started a guild, so much of this is me learning. I have a guild with my girlfriend that we use for actual gameplay, but perhaps it might be best to have her create a second one (if that is allowed), and give her access. That way in the event of termination, she can access the guild and give access to anyone else (friends) that she sees fit.

I’m just trying to be clear on the logistics of doing this method.

LHound.8964

I am by no means “cleverly attacking” anyone. Policy is policy and it has been made clear that it can not be discussed, which I have no interest in doing any longer.

I’ve accepted the policy and with that, I have accepted the consequences. I am looking for the best advice for keeping valuable items from being lost.

I’m still looking for an answer about creating a guild, will it be lost if my account is terminated? Would it be better for someone else to create the guild that I can place all my items into?

Dude,

- Guilds aren’t account bound! They are server bound. So if you create a guild, it stays there even if you are banned! All items in the guild bank stays there for the guild members who have permission to access the bank!

- You will not be banned unless you are cheating or somehow involved with RMT.

- The released update with the forum rules will not get you a BAN ingame.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

AntiGw.9367

You are making a cleverly disguised attack by trying to provoke a controversy around worrying about being “unreasonably” banned in-game by moderators.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

If you refer to the latest Statement, it says :

So from my understanding you are banned from the forum not from the game (…in case of…).

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Dude,

- Guilds aren’t account bound! They are server bound. So if you create a guild, it stays there even if you are banned! All items in the guild bank stays there for the guild members who have permission to access the bank!

Ok cool. That seems to solve that. I’ll set one up and transfer what I can.

- You will not be banned unless you are cheating or somehow involved with RMT.

I don’t share your confidence. :/

- The released update with the forum rules will not get you a BAN ingame.

/cheers

I am aware of this. My actions if this happens however can’t be discussed as they will most likely be considered a “threat.”

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Without going into any details. For a while now, I have felt increasingly nervous about putting time and effort into this game. The reason is that due to company policy, I don’t feel confident that I am protected from account termination.

In light of recent events, I am looking for ways to protect myself and my in-game assets. Meaning, I would like to hear your advice regarding how to make sure that if my account is terminated, my girlfriend and/or friends who choose to continue playing, will have access to anything of value.

The best option is to take out insurance based on the expected real life value of having to purchase all the lost in game assets.

I’m sure you will be able to find a willing insurance company and just as sure it will be a long painful process trying to collect from them.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

You are making a cleverly disguised attack by trying to provoke a controversy around worrying about being “unreasonably” banned in-game by moderators.

I’m not sure you’re in a position to assume my intentions. The question I am asking is an honest one. I don’t feel confident my account is safe from termination, and want to know what I can do to not lose items that could be of value to others I care about in the game.

If you feel I have ulterior motives, that is your right, but please refrain from accusing me of malicious intent publicly. You’re free to PM me if you have something personal to say to me.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

The best option is to take out insurance based on the expected real life value of having to purchase all the lost in game assets.

I’m sure you will be able to find a willing insurance company and just as sure it will be a long painful process trying to collect from them.

:)

I wish this existed in game. I would pay for account insurance. :P

EverythingXen.1835

Nah. Slight paranoia is not a bannable offense.

Sarcastically trotting out the rules in threads that dont violate them because you think theyre unfair might be though.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

HA! I could see that. Like life insurance. Sign yourself a contract, and if for any reason you are banned permanently, your assets are given to your “loved ones”.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I think I’ve gotten the answers I need here.

I will get my girlfriend to create an “insurance guild” that can hold any valuables.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

EverythingXen.1835

As more cash shop games are released… there might actually be a market for something like that in a few years…

/imagines Geico geko quaggan crossover commercial

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

oK weird thread but your best bet is to make a personal guild and invite the relevant members only.
Make them co-guild leaders with all access. (you will need to unlock a guild bank though)
If you get banned they still have the items and a functional guild.
Hope this helps- there is really no reason to get banned though

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I’m not sure you’re in a position to assume my intentions.

Seems pretty obvious actually; what with your follow up posts about not sharing anyone’s certainty you won’t be game banned for doing nothing. It’s fun watching you try to tiptoe around it, though, saying it without saying it. I’m wondering how long you’ll manage before they just lock the thread.

I’d say, if yer incapable of knowing when you’re committing a bannable offense in game and you come to a spot where you can’t tell – err on the side of caution and then ask a mod. Alotta people manage to play the game every day without getting kicked out, so the rules can’t be that obscure.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Send me your assets. I give them protection and shelter.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Seems pretty obvious actually; what with your follow up posts about not sharing anyone’s certainty you won’t be game banned for doing nothing. It’s fun watching you try to tiptoe around it, though, saying it without saying it. I’m wondering how long you’ll manage before they just lock the thread.

I was clear when I said I wasn’t interested in discussing it. What I feel I would and wouldn’t get banned for are not up for discussion here. I simply stated, without going into detail, that I don’t share that level of confidence.

I’d say, if yer incapable of knowing when you’re committing a bannable offense in game and you come to a spot where you can’t tell – err on the side of caution and then ask a mod. Alotta people manage to play the game every day without getting kicked out, so the rules can’t be that obscure.

I’ve had this conversation before, and I’m not really interested in rehashing it here. All I will say on the matter is that while that sounds nice in theory, I don’t feel reality reflects that. I realize a lot of people play this game every day without being terminated, I’ve personally been playing over a year, but as time goes on, and attitudes change, I need to know that my time in game and on here are going to be a waste.

I can’t say much more than that.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Send me your assets. I give them protection and shelter.

You’re the proud owner of a 250 stack of chocolate chip cookies! Congrats!

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

You account will not be terminated based on what you do in the forums. If end up being permanently banned from the forums, you are only banned from the forums, not the game. You literally do not have to worry about losing the game because of something you did in the forums.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Ok, you accepted the consequences, but the problem is you are talking about a consequence that does in fact not exist. It is a fact that you cannot lose your game account for something you did on the forums, you can only lose forum posting privileges if you do something on the forums. You would have to do something in game to lose your game account.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

This. Really fun (or sad?) to see how far people go just to keep the atmosphere toxic. Hint: don’t attack people, cheat or exploit. You won’t get banned. You are welcome.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

You account will not be terminated based on what you do in the forums. If end up being permanently banned from the forums, you are only banned from the forums, not the game. You literally do not have to worry about losing the game because of something you did in the forums.

I know.

I said above that I can’t expand on what getting banned would result in (although I’m sure it’s pretty clear). I’m not intending to make any threats, these are just my personal choices.

But, it’s good to know.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Ok, you accepted the consequences, but the problem is you are talking about a consequence that does in fact not exist. It is a fact that you cannot lose your game account for something you did on the forums, you can only lose forum posting privileges if you do something on the forums. You would have to do something in game to lose your game account.

I never claimed that getting banned from the forums resulted in an automatic ban from the game. At least I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I alluded to my choices were this the case.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This. Really fun (or sad?) to see how far people go just to keep the atmosphere toxic. Hint: don’t attack people, cheat or exploit. You won’t get banned. You are welcome.

By people, are you referring to me? Are you insinuating that I am purposefully trying to make this thread/forum toxic, opposed to simply asking a question I’m unclear about?

Would you consider that a personal attack?

Posted by: Moderator.9604

Moderator.9604

Hello there
Please make sure to keep this thread productive and healthy. Thank you for your understanding.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do my best. However, based on experience it isn’t always in my hands to determine what is and isn’t considered abuse/personal attacks.

That said, I’m not here to discuss forum policy and I want that made clear. I just feel that based on said policy, I need to know the best way to protect my assets in-game.

It is clear that discussing policy will not work, so my only option is to find ways to make sure that in the event of account termination, all my time spent in-game isn’t completely wasted.

Some common sense should help you avoid any issues. I mean really, is it so hard to be polite? Even when you’re kittened off, you can still express such in a post without being inflammatory or abusing the person you are talking to. Once upon a time, this was a requirement of polite society, it was called having manners….and then the internet was born. sigh

Beyond that, the policy you’re referencing refers to posting on the forums, not your actual in game account. However, if you’re that worried about it, yes a guild vault would likely be the best way to go.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Some common sense should help you avoid any issues.

I suppose we define the term “common” differently.

I am responsible for my own actions, and do my best to do the “right thing,” but I am not in control of how others interpret my actions/words. As such, I need to protect myself from misinterpretation.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A guild bank won’t really be that much help. You can’t place account abound or soul bound items in it. That pretty much leaves mats. Unless you have stacks of mats filling up your regular bank, you aren’t going to have much else to put in there as long term storage.

AntiGw.9367

I’m not sure you’re in a position to assume my intentions. The question I am asking is an honest one. I don’t feel confident my account is safe from termination, and want to know what I can do to not lose items that could be of value to others I care about in the game.

If you feel I have ulterior motives, that is your right, but please refrain from accusing me of malicious intent publicly. You’re free to PM me if you have something personal to say to me.

I’m in a position to judge your intentions, and they do look like a veiled accusation that moderators are capable of banning your account on a whim or something to that end.

That’s why the wording is “cleverly disguised”, it’s subtle and indirect, and along the lines of “not sure if trolling”.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

A guild bank won’t really be that much help. You can’t place account abound or soul bound items in it. That pretty much leaves mats. Unless you have stacks of mats filling up your regular bank, you aren’t going to have much else to put in there as long term storage.

I do actually have a lot of mats I’ve been slowly accumulating for a legendary. I also have some armour that isn’t soul/account bound, some rare drops, a bunch of gold, and a lot of food/potions.

I feel a lot of it has value to my girlfriend and friends. I would be very upset if it were simply lost. Getting my account terminated after the amount of money and time spent would be bad enough without also losing “tangible” objects that could be of use to those who feel they would want to continue playing.