Protecting myself and my assets

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Send me your assets. I give them protection and shelter.

You’re the proud owner of a 250 stack of chocolate chip cookies! Congrats!

Awesome!

I will hide them in my mouth, no one can catch them!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Some common sense should help you avoid any issues.

I suppose we define the term “common” differently.

I am responsible for my own actions, and do my best to do the “right thing,” but I am not in control of how others interpret my actions/words. As such, I need to protect myself from misinterpretation.

Common sense….not so common… (Edit, this is not a direct jab at you btw)

Then think of posting on the forums as requiring similar communication techniques as communicating at work, especially work emails. Clear, concise, polite langauge, to reduce as much potential miscommunication as possible.

The issue with language is that so much can be inferred from not only just your word choice, but how you string those words together. While text (such as with a post or email) lacks the physical cues of body language, tone can still be picked up based on the aforementioned. As such, to reduce the likeliness of being misunderstood, or to have your textual tone misunderstood, you need to think carefully about how you word/phrase your communication. The same way you (should) do at work.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I’m in a position to judge your intentions, and they do look like a veiled accusation that moderators are capable of banning your account on a whim or something to that end.

That’s why the wording is “cleverly disguised”, it’s subtle and indirect, and along the lines of “not sure if trolling”.

What may appear to you to be the case, is not supported by evidence in this thread. If you want to make that judgement you are free to do so. I can’t force you to accept my explanation.

I never claimed any reason why mods would ban me. I explicitly stated I did not want, and still don’t want to discuss moderation policy in this (or any other) thread, as that IS a bannable action.

What you interpret as “cleverly disguised” is up to you. I can’t control your interpretations. The best I can do is tell you that what you’re claiming is inaccurate, and that I’m glad you’re not a moderator.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Common sense….not so common…

Then think of posting on the forums as requiring similar communication techniques as communicating at work, especially work emails. Clear, concise, polite langauge, to reduce as much potential miscommunication as possible.

The issue with language is that so much can be inferred from not only just your word choice, but how you string those words together. While text (such as with a post or email) lacks the physical cues of body language, tone can still be picked up based on the aforementioned. As such, to reduce the likeliness of being misunderstood, or to have your textual tone misunderstood, you need to think carefully about how you word/phrase your communication. The same way you (should) do at work.

I agree. But, because the world is a complex place, we must also be aware that even despite our best efforts, we can’t always control what others will do, or what will happen. This is why we take out insurance, to protect ourselves in the event something happens beyond our control.

Without going into policy, I have been infracted (and many have been reversed) on quite a few occasions. There have been documented evidence of players losing their accounts due to factors beyond their control (hacks, unknown exploits, bugs, etc).

Based on those facts, I feel it is in my (and my friends/girlfriends) best interest to protect my in-game assets so if, by chance my actions/words are interpreted by someone who takes them the wrong way, and takes action, they won’t be permanently lost.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Crazylegsmurphy, stop responding to the “cleverly disguised” troll posts. They’re trying to get you banned for lulz.
You’ve gotten your answer (ie. the guild bank).
Just be aware the guild bank is only accessible on the server the guild was created from, so make sure you don’t transfer to another server otherwise you’ll lose access to it. I believe it applies to guesting, as well.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It would take some amount of gold, or some amount of time to establish a new personal Guild bank and upgrade it. It’s taken me over a year to almost be at the point where I can start researching Deep Cave. Maybe you have enough money to just buy the influence. Since you played since release, I’m sure you are aware of these facts, and that a Guild bank is the only way for you and others to have access to the same items.

I can’t imagine worrying about being banned from the game, unless I was planning on doing something unacceptable. Cheating, being inappropriate, buying/selling gold….

Unless you are implying someone could be removed from the game for their actions on the forum by a Moderator. No, I’m sure you wouldn’t disguise your intentions for this thread, so it must be something else. In that case, just following the rules of the ToS should keep you from worrying about any bans.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy, stop responding to the “cleverly disguised” troll posts. They’re trying to get you banned for lulz.
You’ve gotten your answer (ie. the guild bank).
Just be aware the guild bank is only accessible on the server the guild was created from, so make sure you don’t transfer to another server otherwise you’ll lose access to it. I believe it applies to guesting, as well.

I’m well aware that I’m being baited. :p

That is a good point. Thanks for bringing that up. I am pretty sure all but a few friends on my list are on my server. I’ll bring it up with those few and see if there is anything specific they want, just in case.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

It would take some amount of gold, or some amount of time to establish a new personal Guild bank and upgrade it. It’s taken me over a year to almost be at the point where I can start researching Deep Cave. Maybe you have enough money to just buy the influence. Since you played since release, I’m sure you are aware of these facts, and that a Guild bank is the only way for you and others to have access to the same items.

I can’t imagine worrying about being banned from the game, unless I was planning on doing something unacceptable. Cheating, being inappropriate, buying/selling gold….

Unless you are implying someone could be removed from the game for their actions on the forum by a Moderator. No, I’m sure you wouldn’t disguise your intentions for this thread, so it must be something else. In that case, just following the rules of the ToS should keep you from worrying about any bans.

That is a good point. I may end up having to use the current guild my girlfriend and I are using. We JUST spent 50,000 influence to research the thing we need for the next 10,000 for the super bank.

I could just use that one. I just wanted to make sure it was safe from termination as well. Come to think of it, I actually think she was the one who made it in the first place.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine as long as you act like a decent human being.

Posted by: BaronVillin.5936

BaronVillin.5936

The best I can do is tell you that what you’re claiming is inaccurate, and that I’m glad you’re not a moderator.

I’ll second that.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

- The released update with the forum rules will not get you a BAN ingame.

/cheers

I am aware of this. My actions if this happens however can’t be discussed as they will most likely be considered a “threat.”

Simple. If you get banned ingame, it will be for reasons that are completely not connected with the last change of forum policy – because it is a change in forum policy, which has nothing to do with the game itself.

Not sure what you want to say here, unless you expect yourself to get banned and plan to come here protesting it with guns blazing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Not sure what you want to say here, unless you expect yourself to get banned and plan to come here protesting it with guns blazing.

I thought my first post was clear.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Your account is 100% safe from termination if you stick to mature and polite behaviors.

Also, note that you don’t own anything; there is no such things as “your in-game assets”, everything on the Arena Net servers belong to them.
With the 60 bucks you just buy the client.
Your in-game and forum accounts are lent to you by Anet on the basis that you respect the Code of Conduct, but those accounts can be terminated at any time and for any reason – this includes your items, because all items in GW2 belong to Anet, including currencies.

That’s how it works in every MMO out there.

The whole change to moderation was because the level of posts lately has gone downhill; people started to take habit to toss snide remarks to Anet and post their opinions in an overly-emotional way through “politically correct” type of trolling.
For instance if you say “after playing GW2 I went to play Super Mario and I was astonished at how Nintendo doesn’t suck at making video games and their devs actually know what they’re doing” you are not directly insulting Anet, but you are indeed implying a lot of insults.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

It’s pretty obvious what this is, but hats off to you still :P

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

It’s kind of disheartening when you read through and realize how many people don’t get what’s going on.

Then you look back and realize why nothing’s progressed on the forums or on the game and it all ties in very nicely.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Would you last two posters please explain?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I thought my first post was clear.

Ah, sorry, i though you were responding to the last changes in policy, when in fact you never stated that.

In that case, the guild bank seems a good idea, but (depending on why you might get banned) may not be enough. In case of suspected goldseller farm accounts, for example, Anet from what we hear attempts to freeze everything that came out of that account as well (assuming a complicity) – doing a massive wealth transfer might just get another account banned.
On the other hand, getting yourself banned for flaming and/or hate speech will likely have no effect whatsoever on the stuff left in the guild vault.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

In that case, the guild bank seems a good idea, but (depending on why you might get banned) may not be enough. In case of suspected goldseller farm accounts, Anet from what we hear attempts to freeze everything that came out of that account as well (assuming a complicity) – doing a massive wealth transfer might just get another account banned.

Ya, I was kind of afraid of this. I remember reading how transferring large amounts of anything in game would result in a “flagging” of both accounts. I wouldn’t be happy if in my attempt to save my assets, I got everyone else banned.

I wonder if there is a way to do this without causing issues?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Your account is 100% safe from termination if you stick to mature and polite behaviors.

Also, note that you don’t own anything; there is no such things as “your in-game assets”, everything on the Arena Net servers belong to them.
With the 60 bucks you just buy the client.
Your in-game and forum accounts are lent to you by Anet on the basis that you respect the Code of Conduct, but those accounts can be terminated at any time and for any reason – this includes your items, because all items in GW2 belong to Anet, including currencies.

You’re talking semantics here, which aren’t really relevant to what I’m saying, sorry.

The whole change to moderation was because the level of posts lately has gone downhill; people started to take habit to toss snide remarks to Anet and post their opinions in an overly-emotional way through “politically correct” type of trolling.
For instance if you say “after playing GW2 I went to play Super Mario and I was astonished at how Nintendo doesn’t suck at making video games and their devs actually know what they’re doing” you are not directly insulting Anet, but you are indeed implying a lot of insults.

Sorry, I stated a few times that I am not interested in discussing moderation policy as per the rules.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

This topic is precisely what they meant by “cleverly disguised” personal attacks.

This is precisely the type of slippery slope people are worrying about.

Oceanic [LOD]

Skan.5301

This topic is precisely what they meant by “cleverly disguised” personal attacks.

I fail to see how this is cleverly disguised in any way.

Crazy’s worried about all the stuff he’s got on his accounts in case he ever gets banned, which could or could not happen. To save himself from doing all the work required to get materials on a new account, he’s asking for ways to store them in a place where he could retrieve them on a new account, saving him a bit of work on said new account.

It’s a good thing you aren’t a moderator.

– Euripides

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

No clue why you’d ever think you’d be banned. We all know what this is :P

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

No clue why you’d ever think you’d be banned. We all know what this is :P

I’m not in on the joke I guess. It is what I am claiming it is. See the post above yours for further explanation.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

I would think you’d have to do something really egregious on the forums to get banned in game. Possible? Maybe. Likely? Probably not.

However, be careful what you do in game. If you stumble into a way to make money that seems too easy, be cautious about using it.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I think people in this thread are confusing the forum policy with in game TOS.

OP is talking about protecting his in-game assets, not forum moderation.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I see what your doing ;P. but……inb4 thread gets lock

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I think people in this thread are confusing the forum policy with in game TOS.

It just so happens that his first post has huge hints of talking about the recent event of changed company policy on the forums, but he isn’t talking about that change at all. The recent events he is talking about is something that happened in game apparently, and all this just happened by coincidence to be around the same time as the forum moderation change.

The OP needs to change his whole first post to actually reflect that he is talking about recent events in the game and nothing to do with the forums, and make his post sound like he is not talking about the recent forum events that happened in the last day, then people will not get confused. Because his first post just coincidentally matches the type of stuff people are talking about now with the recent changes to forum moderation.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Seems pretty straightforward….

If the assests are transferable, transfer them to a “safe” party.

However, if you feel that the safe party is also at risk, then how would you propose to protect that party from similar circumstances which concern you? If they partake in the same behavior which you consider at risk, the assests are then equally at risk.

However, if you truly feel that the safe party is beyond reproach, perhaps consider using them as a basis for how you should conduct yourself, and then you too won’t be at risk.

Your second post on this forum was along the similar lines. Exploits, bans, and the like are also seem to be of particular concern to you. Seeing that you’re still here, you should be able to take some relief in that. I think it would be safe to presume you’re in no greater risk of being terminated then a typical player.

However, If you are engaging in what could be deemed questionable behavior, and are seeking ways to launder or otherwise divest yourself from ill gotten gains, then repeatedly posting about such topics, and drawing attention to yourself is rather counterproductive, no?

So, probably best to just carry on, and not worry too much about it, because, as you said, the ultimate judegement is beyond your control anyway.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Update-on-Forum-Moderation-Enforcement/first#post3036871

So from this point forward, everybody who personally attacks a member of the studio will get an immediate 2 week forum suspension on the first violation. Any further attack on studio members will result in a permanent termination of your posting rights.

Do not use Hundred Blades on anyone who has the Arenanet-Logo-Tag in WvW!
You will get 2 week suspension.

Why doesnt Arenanet just make themselves invincible, instead of us having to watch where our Hundred Blades lands? What’s worse is I cant control my pet attacking devs in wvw…If my pet attacks you, and you designed the AI, that means that you attacked yourself, I should not be forum banned for my pet attacking you in-game.

I encourage everyone to start playing Warrior or Thief in WvW. They have no pets. Or use any builds for other classes that do not include pets.

What happens if i am in the middle of using Hundred Blades and a dev just walks into it?

I will stop to WvW until devs dont play it anymore, I dont want to be banned. I suggest you all do so too.

If you did not understand my post, then please dont reply to my post.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Update-on-Forum-Moderation-Enforcement/first#post3036871

So from this point forward, everybody who personally attacks a member of the studio will get an immediate 2 week forum suspension on the first violation. Any further attack on studio members will result in a permanent termination of your posting rights.

Do not use Hundred Blades on anyone who has the Arenanet-Logo-Tag in WvW!
You will get 2 week suspension.

Why doesnt Arenanet just make themselves invincible, instead of us having to watch where our Hundred Blades lands? What’s worse is I cant control my pet attacking devs in wvw…If my pet attacks you, and you designed the AI, that means that you attacked yourself, I should not be forum banned for my pet attacking you in-game.

I encourage everyone to start playing Warrior or Thief in WvW. They have no pets. Or use any builds for other classes that do not include pets.

What happens if i am in the middle of using Hundred Blades and a dev just walks into it?

I will stop to WvW until devs dont play it anymore, I dont want to be banned. I suggest you all do so too.

If you did not understand my post, then please dont reply to my post.

+1, it is even funnier considering how often people take a quote from an Anet staff and use it in the meaning that Anet never intended.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)

Protecting his assets from what?

I deleted a longer text here – in short it’s akin to asking for loop holes.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Unexpected deletion.

Most humans spend a great deal of time working to accumulate various assets (money, things, etc). Because these assets have value to us, and often value to the people we care about, we want to make sure that they aren’t taken away, or lost in the event of an unforeseen, or unexpected circumstance.

This is not a loophole, this is a desire to retain and distribute what we feel are valuable assets. This is why we right wills, set up retirement funds, have marriage laws, etc.

I simply don’t want all my hard work lost, if, for whatever reason I am unable to continue playing this game. Based on the evidence available, the second most likely reason this would be the case (first being that I’m running out of patience), is that my account is terminated based on the decision of ANet.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to plan for this.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

This is not a loophole, this is a desire to retain and distribute what we feel are valuable assets. This is why we right wills, set up retirement funds, have marriage laws, etc.

I simply don’t want all my hard work lost, if, for whatever reason I am unable to continue playing this game. Based on the evidence available, the second most likely reason this would be the case (first being that I’m running out of patience), is that my account is terminated based on the decision of ANet.

Unforuntuately, there is no mechanism for this in game.

Items are held in three placecs
– On a private space (personal bank or inventory or mail)
– On a shared private space (guild bank)
– On a public space (trading post)

There is no way for an item to passively transfer from one area to another upon some trigger (account termination).

So, it seems pretty clear what your choices are. If your items are in a private space upon termination, they’re gone. If they’re in either of the other two spaces, which you need to actively put them into, then all is good.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Arenanet is not banning people for nothing. Why would you get banned ?

I have had half of the forum infractions I’ve ever been given overturned, of course not until after I had already suffered a three day ban, because that’s how effective ANet’s player support is.

The moderators are inconsistent, they are human and they make mistakes, a lot of them to be honest. This just made it as easy for the moderators to ban as it is to infract, meaning you are now just as likely to see someone being banned for nothing as you were previously likely to see them infracted for nothing.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

I’m sorry to tell you this. But this isn’t real you know. It’s no more substantial than a dream.
The ‘assets’ you are so worried about are imaginary, pointless nothings.

The actual value of the game is the fun you get out of starting with nothing and building a fairytale castle out of moonbeams. One day when you’ve had all the fun you can get out of it, you switch off for the last time and walk away, never to return.

If you hand these assets to someone else, you’re not giving them something of value, you are just spoiling the game for them. Same as if you told someone the ending of a really good film.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

If you’re really worried about being banned for nothing, a better solution would be to not use any kind of chat to talk to players other than real life friends. Then all you’d have to worry about is not being a bot and not abusing exploits.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Unexpected deletion.

Most humans spend a great deal of time working to accumulate various assets (money, things, etc). Because these assets have value to us, and often value to the people we care about, we want to make sure that they aren’t taken away, or lost in the event of an unforeseen, or unexpected circumstance.

As long as everything is hosted on Anets servers, it’s their assets, not yours. The only thing you own is the time played on characters.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

As long as everything is hosted on Anets servers, it’s their assets, not yours. The only thing you own is the time played on characters.

Semantics. They are “mine” in the sense that as long as I am an active member of the game, I own those items. In the context of the game.

Those who try and argue semantics are really not adding anything. I’m well aware that my Quaggan is not real.

Scrambles.2604

Semantics. They are “mine” in the sense that as long as I am an active member of the game, I own those items. In the context of the game.

Those who try and argue semantics are really not adding anything. I’m well aware that my Quaggan is not real.

it’s not semantics. This is why everyone that tried to sell their WoW account had to put a disclaimer saying that “i am only selling the time played on this account.”

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I’m sorry to tell you this. But this isn’t real you know. It’s no more substantial than a dream.
The ‘assets’ you are so worried about are imaginary, pointless nothings.

The actual value of the game is the fun you get out of starting with nothing and building a fairytale castle out of moonbeams. One day when you’ve had all the fun you can get out of it, you switch off for the last time and walk away, never to return.

If you hand these assets to someone else, you’re not giving them something of value, you are just spoiling the game for them. Same as if you told someone the ending of a really good film.

That is your value. I personally would find a lot of value if one of my friends left me items in game.

What is true for you, is not true for everyone, and while I respect your view, stating it as fact does not make it so.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

it’s not semantics. This is why everyone that tried to sell their WoW account had to put a disclaimer saying that “i am only selling the time played on this account.”

I’m not selling anything. I have the right to give away any items I procure in game. If I choose to give those items to my friends in the event of account termination, that is my right to do so.

Any argument beyond that has no relevance here. Who actually “owns” the pixels is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, they are considered “mine” within the context of the game.

Scrambles.2604

I’m not selling anything. I have the right to give away any items I procure in game. If I choose to give those items to my friends in the event of account termination, that is my right to do so.

Any argument beyond that has no relevance here. Who actually “owns” the pixels is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, they are considered “mine” within the context of the game.

but within the context of reality and legal ownership, they belong to Anet.

Skan.5301

but within the context of reality and legal ownership, they belong to Anet.

No one’s talking legalities and stuff here. Crazy wants to save his hard work in case something goes wrong and he cannot access his account and thus has to buy a second one. No one here really cares who owns the pixels that make up the game. Crazy worked for his items, he wants to put them somewhere where he can withdraw them again on another account, as a worst case scenario.

– Euripides

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

It’s not semantics. You don’t have any assets. Everything is owned by ArenaNet. If they want to ban you and take “your” stuff away, it’s their right to do so. We all agreed to the ToS.
Of course ArenaNet isn’t in the practice of wildly banning people for no good reason. If you get banned, it’s in all likelihood your own fault. If you’re so insecure that you can’t control yourself from being banned from either direct action or subtly hidden ways, then mail all your stuff to someone elses account or use guild bank.
/topic

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Don’t be an a jerk on the forums and I’m sure you’ll be fine?

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

You sir, are a true sophist. This thread is a a very skilled provocation, entirely devoid of any meaning or logics. To everyone reading: I suggest just to ignore and move along.

For those who actually take this thread seriously (why??), a very quick explanation: be respectful to your fellow human beings and you will not be banned. It doesn’t get any simpler as that.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

You account will not be terminated based on what you do in the forums. If end up being permanently banned from the forums, you are only banned from the forums, not the game. You literally do not have to worry about losing the game because of something you did in the forums.

This is absolutely correct. Forum privileges are just that. A privilege which we can revoke if you cannot follow the Forum Code of Conduct. If you need further clarification, please email forums@arena.net.