Punished for not crafting?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

/rant
I’ve never been into crafting much in any game. Yet I find myself at a loss when I’m forced to 500 for a vertical stat progression that I can’t obtain any other way other than a RNG wall being a rare drop at a rare item type.

This is just depressing and makes me almost not even want to bother playing anymore. I mostly have PvPed anyways so I could mostly get away with not crafting but as the scene dwindled with little to no support where the majoirty is like “Yolo” or “all is vain” I find my self wanting to play PvE.

I had a maxed leveled character with decent gear to chill with my friends, pushed for the skins I like so I can have a look I want… and then Ascended happend and I really can’t get into it.

I play a scholar class and I put armor and weapon smith to 400 much to my dismay so I could go for a legendary in the future or at least make a cool skin that requires certain gifts… That already took a TON of resources that I more or less didn’t have and I would still find myself oweing favors for if those people didn’t already quit.

so now do I not only need to go to 400 on tailoring and artificer for a good portion of my weapons… I need to go an extra 100 (400-500) which is what? another 100+ gold ea? that I don’t even have to begin with and will start from ground 0 just getting one of these crafting professions to 400?

I was willing to let it all go, and now theres cool back items locked behind crafting walls as well?

so I’m left with two choices. Pay A-net so I can get what I need(hur hur hur 35$ = 140g). OR just stop playing.

Frankly I’m leaning towards the later since I’ve felt so let down enough already.

/endrant

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Pro-tip..
1.) Ascended is not required and this ‘vertical progression’ is miniscule enough to be ignored without noticing any improvement
2.) You can get an ascended backpiece without any crafting (and if you use the Forge as an example of crafting, all you do is click buttons a few times and you get your backpiece)

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

You’re not being punished for not crafting. You’re just not being rewarded for not crafting.

Posted by: Cruril Darksbane.2318

Cruril Darksbane.2318

Pro-tip..
1.) Ascended is not required and this ‘vertical progression’ is miniscule enough to be ignored without noticing any improvement
2.) You can get an ascended backpiece without any crafting (and if you use the Forge as an example of crafting, all you do is click buttons a few times and you get your backpiece)

To be competitive you need to be in the best gear possible. Equally skilled players in wvw will lose based on equipment.

Therefore you NEED ascended to be considered a competitive wvw player unless you are a insanely good commander or skilled. Even then being commander means you do not want to die so Ascended again is better than exotics.

Considering the end game is grind, pvp, or wvw…

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Pro-tip..

To be competitive you need to be in the best gear possible. Equally skilled players in wvw will lose based on equipment.

Therefore you NEED ascended to be considered a competitive wvw player unless you are a insanely good commander or skilled. Even then being commander means you do not want to die so Ascended again is better than exotics.

In the controlled competitive environment of PvP, gear is normalized in order to level the field, which is as it should be in competitive PvP because that is a game. WvW is a hybrid concept that seeks to simulate a “war” and thus will never be “balanced” which means that arguments about gear imbalances are moot.

Obviously, having better gear gives you an advantage in WvW… and that is how it should be in a “war simulator” because war is never “fair”.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

In the controlled competitive environment of PvP, gear is normalized in order to level the field, which is as it should be in competitive PvP because that is a game. WvW is a hybrid concept that seeks to simulate a “war” and thus will never be “balanced” which means that arguments about gear imbalances are moot.

Obviously, having better gear gives you an advantage in WvW… and that is how it should be in a “war simulator” because war is never “fair”.

In a war you could have the best equipment and outnumber your enemy 10:1 and still lose (has happened many times in history). Tactics will always win over equipment and numbers. Sure better equipment and numbers would help but if your outplayed your just plain outplayed.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Cruril Darksbane.2318

Pro-tip..

I agree to an extent.

War ‘unfairness’ is very often offset by diffirences in technology, culture, training, stratergy of generals/command. In this case it’s not really true because much of the above are not present in any meaningful way.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

I thought u needed exotic or ascended at first too. But you just need the blue, its amazingly easy to get, and if you cant put that little effort in, i dont know why youd care anyway.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Pro-tip..

You do realise that this argument would also justify use of (now removed) consumables that allowed anyone to maintain stealth and spam kill shot equivalent damage from range of 1600? Your reasoning would also justify ddos attacks of voice coms, hacking, ressing through gates and having alts to spy and sabotage the other server (drain supply, force siege cap).

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

I agree to an extent.

War ‘unfairness’ is very often offset by diffirences in technology, culture, training, stratergy of generals/command. In this case it’s not really true because much of the above are not present in any meaningful way.

Well there is a difference in technology (Ascended vs exotic), culture (international game), training (skill gained from playing the game), and strategy of generals/command.

Out of what you listed only the strategy of generals/command doesn’t exist unless the players allow it. There is a few good general/commanders out there. I so far gotten a good track record of whenever i been in command have captured everything I have set out to capture (not saying much since that’s only been 15 times in over a year). There have been great commanders if only the followers actually listened to the command being given. As well there is not enough tools in the game to allow proper command.

Such as they should allow parties to join the commander and the commander to know the parties within his command. That way he can use the map and place locations where the parties are meant to go. I got a few ideas of what they could add to make commanding easier but thats far off topic.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Pro-tip..

yeah, no.

I think criticals will play more of a factor than a measley 2.5% increase, give or take, that ascended gear provides.

Cruril Darksbane.2318

Pro-tip..

I agree to an extent.

Well there is a difference in technology (Ascended vs exotic), culture (international game), training (skill gained from playing the game), and strategy of generals/command.

Out of what you listed only the strategy of generals/command doesn’t exist unless the players allow it. There is a few good general/commanders out there. I so far gotten a good track record of whenever i been in command have captured everything I have set out to capture (not saying much since that’s only been 15 times in over a year). There have been great commanders if only the followers actually listened to the command being given. As well there is not enough tools in the game to allow proper command.

Such as they should allow parties to join the commander and the commander to know the parties within his command. That way he can use the map and place locations where the parties are meant to go. I got a few ideas of what they could add to make commanding easier but thats far off topic.

No that is not a diffirence in technology. The technology of every server or world is excatly the same. No world has tanks and another has aircraft. They all have excatly the same objects/items.

Commanders honestly most do nothing but serve as a draw for everyone to move to and then zerg around. Stratergy in this game is quite honestly at a bare minimum. You can easily set out to capture everything you want if you went on at a non-peak time on a server with no coverage.

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

You do realise that this argument would also justify use of (now removed) consumables that allowed anyone to maintain stealth and spam kill shot equivalent damage from range of 1600? Your reasoning would also justify ddos attacks of voice coms, hacking, ressing through gates and having alts to spy and sabotage the other server (drain supply, force siege cap).

Except in war all those things do happen lol. This game is not a real war meaning the war is limited to WvW only. If your character could hack the other character via WvW then yes it would be allowed. Your character in WvW can’t create an alt to spy therefore it isn’t allowed. Your twisting the meaning of what is being said to disprove it when all your proving is that your capable of twisting the meaning. Also if said items were in the game then yes it would be fair (but as we all know we would be screaming at our screen in frustration saying “unfair!”). Anet prohibited those items without banning players meaning it wasn’t a exploit, but something they overlooked when designing the object.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Master of Timespace.2548

Pro-tip..

Except in war all those things do happen lol. This game is not a real war meaning the war is limited to WvW only. If your character could hack the other character via WvW then yes it would be allowed. Your character in WvW can’t create an alt to spy therefore it isn’t allowed. Your twisting the meaning of what is being said to disprove it when all your proving is that your capable of twisting the meaning. Also if said items were in the game then yes it would be fair (but as we all know we would be screaming at our screen in frustration saying “unfair!”). Anet prohibited those items without banning players meaning it wasn’t a exploit, but something they overlooked when designing the object.

But all this except hacking is doneable in game. You can change servers to sabotage, ressing through doors have been there since day #1.
It seems to me that you are using the “but war is unfair” argument only when it suits to you. That was the point of my post.

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

I agree to an extent.

No that is not a diffirence in technology. The technology of every server or world is excatly the same. No world has tanks and another has aircraft. They all have excatly the same objects/items.

Commanders honestly most do nothing but serve as a draw for everyone to move to and then zerg around. Stratergy in this game is quite honestly at a bare minimum. You can easily set out to capture everything you want if you went on at a non-peak time on a server with no coverage.

JQ is always on! (thats who i took those towers and keeps from and 1 castle). I seen more done than that with the zerg but with limited tools its hard to do more. Unlike modern world where all the cities are joined think of GW2 similar to medival Japan. Where each player is a different clan bringing their own technology to the unified group without giving it to the group.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

But I can do all this ingame.

LOL i would love to see your character hop on a computer and hack your enemy communications while in WvW

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

But all this except hacking is doneable in game. You can change servers to sabotage, ressing through doors have been there since day #1.

Changeing servers is costly and why do it? Cause you have to change servers twice which costs you large amounts of money. Rezing through doors i have nothing against since the person on the other side can still get hit with AOE (if they standing that close to door with that much AOE around they would go down really faster.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Master of Timespace.2548

Pro-tip..

LOL i would love to see your character hop on a computer and hack your enemy communications while in WvW

Or into teamspeak…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wasn’t this thread about crafting…or something?

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

Or into teamspeak…

That’s not your character doing it. That’s you doing it, and it should not be permitted.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Wasn’t this thread about crafting…or something?

Not about crafting but another flame thread about ascended armour being behind crafting even though it does drop ingame (very rarely tho). So same thread as about another 100 threads (probably more) out there.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Master of Timespace.2548

Pro-tip..

Or into teamspeak…

That’s not your character doing it. That’s you doing it, and it should not be permitted.

You clearly use the “war isn’t fair” only when it suits to you:
According to you I’m not allowed to hack voicecoms because my character isn’t doing it. Yet I am allowed to join the voicecoms for normal reasons even though my character has nothing to do with that either.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

WvW fights featuring an equal number of equally skilled players happens just about never.

you’re much more likely to be at a disadvantage from bloodlust than because the other guy has one more ascended piece than you.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Suddenflame.2601

Pro-tip..

Or into teamspeak…

You clearly use the “war isn’t fair” only when it suits to you:
I’m not allowed to hack voicecoms because my character isn’t doing it while i am allowed to join the voicecoms, even though my character has nothing to do with that either.

Not when it suits me. me being one-shotted from 1600 range by an invisible person doesn’t suit me one bit. As I stated if your character is able to do it than its allowed. Its because your character is in war but you are not. Voice communication is not supported by GW2 but people use it to help them play and for fun. But it exists in the real world meaning you must abide by the rules of the real world. Breaking the rules means you face the consequences whatever they may be.

Hacking into someone else or performing hacking would interest the police, but not some invisible dude sniping you from 1600 range in a video game. Seperate Reality from the virtual.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Master of Timespace.2548

Not when it suits me. me being one-shotted from 1600 range by an invisible person doesn’t suit me one bit. As I stated if your character is able to do it than its allowed.

But you don’t believe such things should be balanced? Because the same “this is war” argument applies to mini golem boxes just as well as it applies to ascended gear.

My example about hacking was perhaps misleading because of it’s real world implications. What I’m trying to say is that sometimes you need to do compromises between gameplay and what the game thematically tries to mimic (e.g. war). Something may be thematically correct*, but if that something also breaks the gameplay, then it has to be altered in some way. In essence: the existence of a game element is best justified when it does not only fit thematically, but is also good for the gameplay.

*eg. yes, you would use ascended gear and spy kit consumables in the mist war. It makes sense. The latter however, completely destroys the gameplay and that is why a thematical argument “wars aren’t balanced” is not enough to justify it’s existence in the WvW game.
Ascended gear however only minorly affects gameplay and fits thematically fairly well. That is why it’s existence in WvW is perhaps justified.

Posted by: Krasex.4950

Krasex.4950

This is why I quit this game, the stupid grinding for everything is unbereable, ascended gear is a JOKE. LOL. Yeah craft,spend gold, grind,farm to get the mats to be able to craft a kittening item. This game lacks depth in so many aspects, ummm…. have you realized nothing is rewarding in this game? Get wrecked.

Wells anyways——> PROTIP: This game is the kitten it is because of how the game is based around you buying from their GEM STORE. So psycologically speaking the GEM store is the only instant reward you get. Yeah that’s right, A-Net plays with your little idle brain. >:) GG.

Posted by: Krasex.4950

Krasex.4950

And yes you are FORCED to get ascended armor if you want to be COMPETITIVE, it’s either GRIND OR GET WRECKED in WvW versus an opponent wearing ascended. People suck on A-net’s stick by putting excuses and talking smack but in reality if you don’t FARM/GRIND/SPEND GOLD/or $$$$ then you will get destroyed by an opponent in ascended armor who has the TIME and the DESIRE to GRIND for it.

Fanboys say "it’s only a 10%? 15%? increase in stats, well IT IS an increase and therefore an advantage. If you dont see it well you are blindfolded.

Obviously these people force you to do GRINDING AND SPENDING.
I mean…. let’s be honest who the kitten likes to CRAFT ? 10% of players?
Spending time/gold and farming mats to get a DIGIT OF SKILL INTO YOUR CRAFTING REPERTOIRE. Hardly believable. Gamers are poor souls, most of us are computer addicts and these companies take advantage by putting more grinding and more kitten into their games. I quit long time and I’m glad I did.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

And yes you are FORCED to get ascended armor if you want to be COMPETITIVE, it’s either GRIND OR GET WRECKED in WvW versus an opponent wearing ascended. People suck on A-net’s stick by putting excuses and talking smack but in reality if you don’t FARM/GRIND/SPEND GOLD/or $$$$ then you will get destroyed by an opponent in ascended armor who has the TIME and the DESIRE to GRIND for it.

Fanboys say "it’s only a 10%? 15%? increase in stats, well IT IS an increase and therefore an advantage. If you dont see it well you are blindfolded.

Obviously these people force you to do GRINDING AND SPENDING.
I mean…. let’s be honest who the kitten likes to CRAFT ? 10% of players?
Spending time/gold and farming mats to get a DIGIT OF SKILL INTO YOUR CRAFTING REPERTOIRE. Hardly believable. Gamers are poor souls, most of us are computer addicts and these companies take advantage by putting more grinding and more kitten into their games. I quit long time and I’m glad I did.

lol thats bs. as someone whose in a regular hardcore wvw guild, thats not true at all. the stat different is negligible. You can buy all the ascended armor you want but you’ll still get wrecked by better players lol.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes, OP, the alternative method to obtain weapons and armor comes via odds that, while better than the odds in a state lottery, are not better by that much. The game will more likely close down before anyone gets a complete set of weapons and armor, in the stats they want, via drops.

At the moment at least, if you want Ascended weapons/armor, you have to craft.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It dont’ cost anything near 100 gold to level from 400-500. At least for tailor, since there are many items you can craft or discover at little loss from reselling on the trading post.

But most likely you’ll be stuck at the actaully crafting ascended gear part, since those actaully cost quite a bunch of money.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

The amount of time you spend at the crafting window is like 1/10000th of the time it takes you to grind the resources to make those items in the first place. Go google a guide and its mind numbingly easy once you have all the mats. I hate crafting in other games too but other than the stupid amount of time gated mats you need, its pretty much as easy as it could be in this game.

Its boring but theres no other way. That or wait 2 years and there probably will be alternative ways of getting it by then.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

You’re not being punished for not crafting. You’re just not being rewarded for not crafting.

This.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

Ascended armor offers almost nothing in the way of stats over exotic — certainly not enough to bother with for any game type outside of FOTM and there only for the AR.

I’d suggest simply getting ascended trinkets and weapons. The difference is still small, but it’s a maybe a little bit noticable. And, trinkets are relatively easy to get if you make sure you do ALL your guild missions every week. If your guild doesn’t get you 6 commendations per week, find a new guild that does.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Tactics will always win over equipment and numbers. Sure better equipment and numbers would help but if your outplayed your just plain outplayed.

Tell that to the Lakota, or the Confederacy.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I think the central problem with any kind of gear progression is that it distracts the userbase from what should REALLY matter: gameplay.
You can argue about ascended being fair/unfair all you like, but the real point is, it draws your attention away from the fact that the actual gameplay isn’t evolving at all.
While gear and achievements are what the community obsess over, ArenaNet will continue to deliver them, as they’re easier than providing interesting, challenging gameplay and redesigning broken systems.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I think the central problem with any kind of gear progression is that it distracts the userbase from what should REALLY matter: gameplay.
You can argue about ascended being fair/unfair all you like, but the real point is, it draws your attention away from the fact that the actual gameplay isn’t evolving at all.
While gear and achievements are what the community obsess over, ArenaNet will continue to deliver them, as they’re easier than providing interesting, challenging gameplay and redesigning broken systems.

Well to be fair, the gameplay is becoming more complex. At least in terms of how to beat enemies.

Look at this patch, conditions reflect 50% of the time versus the knights, need a buff that goes away quickly versus the holograms. The previous patch: the first time that I can think of that actually punished zerging (thank you!). We’ve also been getting (in pervious LS patches) Champ spiders that heal when they feed on someone, a lot of interesting boss mechanics in the Queen’s Gauntlet, some then-dungeons, now fractal bosses that all have their own quarks. So I’d say the enemies are going in the right direction.

The only thing I’d love is choose able #1-5 skills to allow a lot more variety for us. After that, try to fix conditions in PvE somehow, and work on the balance of the current skills/traits (before adding more). And they have already said that they will be making another balance patch soon (I think the March 18th patch, unless that was changed).

And back to the OP and that discussion, though to be fair I skipped over most of the stuff after that as it seemed wildly off topic. You can still easily get the exotic level of the back item without any crafting, just a bit of coin to buy the ingots. But as it stands every bit of ascended gear introduced has been time gated/cost prohibitive. Rings can be obtained from lvl 10+ fractals (1 chance per day, at most 10 days for 1 ring) or laurels, earrings from guild missions or laurels, amulets from badges & laurels or just more laurels. So while not expensive (besides the 100 ectos needed) all of those take a lot of time. Then we have armor and weapons which both have time gated materials which take either a lot of time/mats or even more money, plus account bound mats which need a decent amount of time to get the first time (and then just seem to take up a ton of bank space).

I did some math a couple months back with projected numbers for the armor, I think I estimated a ~5% increase over exotics, but the power difference between a exotic zerker stats and ascended zerker stats is about a ~20% increase in dps. I think it was ~14% increase for PTV stats, and maybe…. ~5% increase (for direct damage only) for condi users, and even if you took conditions into account it was maybe only +5-15 damage per bleed or something like that, but I’m going from memory.

All that being said. It really comes down to

“you can do everything in exotics, you don’t need ascended to play the game. it’s meant to take a lot of time/be a massive gold sink”
vs.
“why can’t everyone have the best stat gear easily obtainable”

personally, I’m with the latter line of thought, but sadly if you want the final form of the back item you’ll have to craft it.

If you want the cheapest method, go for leather. The cord of eloian leather (or whatever it’s name is) is the cheapest to buy.

Posted by: FANY.6524

FANY.6524

I don’t personally feel it’s that big of a problem.

It only cost me 47g and some silver to get from lvl0 to lvl500 in Armorsmithing because I took the time to gather my mats rather than spend an unnecessary amount of gold. I would like to point out that I’m probably the slowest at everything in this game, and I rarely have more than 50g at a time. I also can’t spend a dumb amount of time (imo) on these things because I have a child who takes up a lot of my time. (So, even if I’m logged in, I’m probably not there.)

It only cost me 2g for lvl400 in Chef, and it only cost me 5g for lvl400 in Artificer.

I’m currently working toward two (!) sets of heavy ascended armor and Bifrost.

In the end, how much gold you spend is entirely dependent on how quickly you want to get your results/how much time you can spend grinding/gathering.

You’re not being punished. It would be unfair to make an easier work around for those people who have spent the time/money on their crafting professions.

As someone pointed out, there are back pieces that don’t require crafting. Some pretty sweet ones, actually. And, as someone also pointed out, the difference between Exotic and Ascended armor is very minimal. It doesn’t really matter if you have this armor equipped or not when in WvW either (imo), unless – in some crazy universe – you come across someone with the exact same play style/ability as you and they win only because they have a tiny bit more of whatever stat you have.

Ashe Walker
Prescribed [Rx]

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

All this game is, is a crafting simulator.
Gather tons of stuff, craft.

Story fails, balance fails, bugfixing fails.

The only longterm goal in this game is to farm your back off and craft. That’s it. You better play the game what it is for, and do not complain about the only bit of content it has…

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I agree to an extent.

But they do exist.
- Technology : Its not only Exotic vs Ascended. Its also about nourishment, food, sigil, runes, build, etc. All of them can give you an advantage over your enemy not just ascended. I’m in exotic armor with ascended trinket for WvW. If i change my armor/weapons to ascended that give me 6% more Effective Power and 1.5% more EHP. But if i keep my exotic and buff myself to the max, i get 112.5% more Effective Power. Of course someone that buff itself and use ascended will have even better stats, but just so you keep in perceptive that keep your bloodlust max, using good food/nourishment, coordinating with your group for maximum might/fury, etc will give you a way bigger advantage.
- Training : Well of course this exist. Someone who have experience and know how his groups of player work together will do a big difference.
- Stategy of Commander : This is tricky, because this apply partially with pugs commander while its totally true with guild commander. I saw some Pugs commander using strategic movement to take the enemy with its pants down, or putting some defensive siege at the right place to change the battle, but he’s limited by the facts that pugs just losely follow him. He can help his group with good pre battle positioning and timing, but in the middle of the battle he have limited influence if nobody stay near him to focus damage. For guild commander that have a organized group, then stategy and tactics is a big part of his jobs. Moving his zerg out of high damage zone and creating focusing his zerg’s own dps.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If you want best gear in WvWvW, then you need to craft it. There is nothing unfair about that. Open war will have some sides with better technology/weapons than others. The ones that put the time into crafting will have better gear. If you are lazy and/or just don’t care about crafting, then you will not have the best gear.

In actual competitive PvP, everyone is on equal ground.

There is so much more going on in WvW than small-scale PvP, therefore gear does not need to be equal.

You are “punished” in the same way that countries in real life are “punished” for having inferior technology. Which is to say, you are not punished, some people just have better stuff than you. At least in GW2 you know how to obtain those items and can work towards them. If you don’t, then I guess you need to be OK with being almost as strong as the top players.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

I don’t think you’re punished. Even up to now, I only use Lv78 zerker gear (though I do have Lv80 PVT gear) and yes, I sometimes run WvWvW in this gear if I am just lazy to change gear. So unless you really really really really wanted all BIS, then yeah, you could say you’re missing out, but not punished.

I will just copy/paste my reply from another thread:

Ever since the game started, and I had enough coins, I have been running on my Lv78 Exotic Berserker gear with Traveller Rune (yes, even before they become pricey). And I mean, ALL of my toons!!

Can I do dungeon with my Lv78 Zerker Gear? Yes
Can I do normal PvE with Lv78 Zerker Gear? Yes
Can I do WvWvW with Lv78 Zerker Gear? Yes (and I know I shouldn’t be glass canon in wvw, but just saying)
Can I do FotM and EotM with Lv78 Zerker Gear? Yes

Am I having difficulty doing all those things I listed above? Heck no
Am I being a problem that drags my team and slow them down? Heck no
Have I been kicked in PuG, be it in WvW, dungeon, FotM or EotM? Haven’t yet.

So what I’m saying is, as long as I can complete those I listed with my Lv78 Zerker Gear, I could care less whatever Anet throws out for the vertical progression people.

Don’t believe me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUKexYPL1cU

My video, the date is 2012, and if you expand the “Description” of the video, you’ll see I mentioned there I use Lv78 Gear with Trav Runes.

So yeah, Ascended, won’t affect me. I solo Champions in PvE with my Gear

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

It only cost me 47g and some silver to get from lvl0 to lvl500 in Armorsmithing because I took the time to gather my mats rather than spend an unnecessary amount of gold.

It cost you FAR more than 47g — that was just the cash spent. You’re ignoring the cost of your gathering. Whether you drop cash on the TP or go and do it yourself, the cost is still the same. And, you’re forgetting that the OP is not a PVE’er — perhaps 80/20 PVP/e is how I read the description. That means ANY time spent doing “pve stuff” is horrible drudgery and a large barrier to getting to the goal of PVP’ing in WVW.

What the OP has is a misunderstanding of how nice ascended is compared to exotic in WVW — likely as a result of playing an MMO where top-tier gear literally meant “I win every time” (eg. Aion).

GW2 is not one of those gear-centered MMOs where your loot fights for you. Even in the hypothetical even duel with equal skill and identical builds, the ascended player does not have enough of an edge to win more than maybe 51~52 out of 100 matches.

Absolutely get your exotics — that’s essential and you will get stomped if you don’t have that, but it’s also absurdly fast and easy to acquire. Ascended for WVW? Do what’s fun and/or easy, like trinkets — or just leave it at exotics and spend your WVW time finding a fun WVW guild.

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Pro-tip..

That’s good news. Not sure where or how I can get that piece though.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I’m in complete agreement with that. Tho I admit it does suck if you didn’t reach 500 in those 3 particular area’s like me

#ELEtism

Posted by: Tatsuo.1478

Tatsuo.1478

Pro-tip..

In a war you could have the best equipment and outnumber your enemy 10:1 and still lose (has happened many times in history). Tactics will always win over equipment and numbers. Sure better equipment and numbers would help but if your outplayed your just plain outplayed.

This is bullkitten argument. Yes it is possible to win with tactics over more foes with better gear, but it is only possible if those foes are worse than you. What if they are equally good and have better gear? How can you win then, hm? Thats were gear shines and many times your tactics won’t save you because not every player with better gear is noob that do not know how to play.

So in reality good tactics is not an argument for gear at all. Good gear just adds more advantage and tactics has nothing here to do, because you should always compare as players skills would be in par with each other. Without that comparing is pointless.

It’s like comparing two drivers. One drives normal speed car, the other slower. So if that driver with slower car would win against another driver with normal car, yes you could say he is better, but he would have driven even faster with normal car, so there is no point in comparing without equal footing first.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I after say I agree with the OP…

The devs have taken GW2 down the road of 90% of in game rewards revolve around crafting, either via the crafting professions or by using the mystic forge.

Getting rewards any other way, like by actually playing the content involves MASSIVE RNG LUCK, the usual reward for playing is crafting materials in one form or another.

So if you hate crafting and think its the most boring waste of time EVER, there’s nowhere for you to go reward wise.