[PvE] Bosses: Conditions and Boons.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Hello everybody,

Since a long time a certain thing about enemies, mainly bosses has been bothering me. What I am talking about that monsters that use heavy conditions and use alot of boons are very rare. Mainly when we are talking of bosses. Arenanet has been reworking dungeons to make them more challenging (Think about how CoF has changed). However I think a good step would be to give more enemies and bosses damage through more conditions and make them use way more boons.
By doing this you make a dungeon or fight more challenging. When you know “Oh this boss has heavy condition damage” or “Oh this one leeches your boons” or whatever, you can go into more diversive gameplay. Think about making condition cleanse more usefullin dungeon, boon removal or even corruption by necromancers.

Well that was about it. Lemme hear what you think guys!

Have a good time! Fvux.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

(edited by The V.8759)

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

chuckles seeing another post that starts " I have been playing since launch

Like it makes an opinion worth more than anyone else’s ( maybe a carry over from WoW where every “veteran” has to boast about it )

Although I do like your suggestion !

The V.8759

The reason by saying that is because I have been observing this for a long time and have been thinking about this much more. It also implies that I do not think this subject up in seconds, but have been planning to post this for a while.

Next to that I do not have the intention to feel like a veteran or whatever. It is just to make my observation more believe-able-ish

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I understand where you are coming from, then again, using an example, if someone has been playing from release, and they have not created a new “toon” since 4/15 update, then their opinion on Traits would be skewed, compared to say someone whom has as the new trait system SUCKS !!!

do you see what I mean ?

Opinions can be subjective and even a new person can notice something that a “vet” can see ..

I do agree however that Conditions etc should mean more as far as bosses go …. would maybe prevent the zerg so much too !

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Hello everybody,

I have been playing Guild Wars 2 since launch and this one thing about fighting enemies, mainly bosses, has been bothering me. What I am talking about that monsters that use heavy conditions and use alot of boons are very rare. Mainly when we are talking of bosses. Arenanet has been reworking dungeons to make them more challenging (Think about how CoF has changed). However I think a good step would be to give more enemies and bosses damage through more conditions and make them use way more boons.
By doing this you make a dungeon or fight more challenging. When you know “Oh this boss has heavy condition damage” or “Oh this one leeches your boons” or whatever, you can go into more diversive gameplay. Think about making condition cleanse more usefullin dungeon, boon removal or even corruption by necromancers.

Well that was about it. Lemme hear what you think guys!

Have a good time! Fvux.

you know when i was reading the title i thought it was another post about how conditions still being useless against bosses. which…they are.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

The V.8759

I understand where you are coming from, then again, using an example, if someone has been playing from release, and they have not created a new “toon” since 4/15 update, then their opinion on Traits would be skewed, compared to say someone whom has as the new trait system SUCKS !!!

do you see what I mean ?

Opinions can be subjective and even a new person can notice something that a “vet” can see ..

I do agree however that Conditions etc should mean more as far as bosses go …. would maybe prevent the zerg so much too !

I have changed the first sentence of my “article” to avoid any more of these unintended and offtopic taughts.

Greetings Fvux.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Give us more mobs like the practice NPC’s in the mists hub and I’ll be very happy. It’s not all about one hit kills and health pools to make an elder dragon weep.

Have them use conditions, leaps, knockbacks, stuns, boons, etc, etc. But that is not the only problem. The other problem is how MANY skills mobs have. Part of the reason mobs get boring to fight is because their skill set is so limited. If they had the same amount of skills as us (maybe not for the lower tier mobs, but certainly vets and up), and maybe even give them traits and runes for higher tier mobs (champs, legendaries), fighting them would be a lot more fun.

Fights need to be dynamic and take focus, but most fights, partly due to limited mob skillsets, end up simply being a routine. After a couple of runs you know a bosses big hitters and it very quickly becomes easy. But if bosses had a lot more skills to choose from that they could mix it up with, to keep players guessing, it would make each fight a challenge.

Give them stun breakers, combo fields, boon stealing, you name it. Let them do the things we as players can do. And make it so each fight is not the same. With more skills at their disposal they will be a little more reactive to OUR actions and therefore a little more dynamic. If we stun them they’ll break out of it, if were hitting them hard they can use a water field and blast to heal themselves (requiring us to knock or pull them out of the field).

It’s not just about giving them conditions and boons, it also about giving them more options.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

The V.8759

Give us more mobs like the practice NPC’s in the mists hub and I’ll be very happy. It’s not all about one hit kills and health pools to make an elder dragon weep.

Have them use conditions, leaps, knockbacks, stuns, boons, etc, etc. But that is not the only problem. The other problem is how MANY skills mobs have. Part of the reason mobs get boring to fight is because their skill set is so limited. If they had the same amount of skills as us (maybe not for the lower tier mobs, but certainly vets and up), and maybe even give them traits and runes for higher tier mobs (champs, legendaries), fighting them would be a lot more fun.

Fights need to be dynamic and take focus, but most fights, partly due to limited mob skillsets, end up simply being a routine. After a couple of runs you know a bosses big hitters and it very quickly becomes easy. But if bosses had a lot more skills to choose from that they could mix it up with, to keep players guessing, it would make each fight a challenge.

Give them stun breakers, combo fields, boon stealing, you name it. Let them do the things we as players can do. And make it so each fight is not the same. With more skills at their disposal they will be a little more reactive to OUR actions and therefore a little more dynamic. If we stun them they’ll break out of it, if were hitting them hard they can use a water field and blast to heal themselves (requiring us to knock or pull them out of the field).

It’s not just about giving them conditions and boons, it also about giving them more options.

I hope this will be read You are pointing out some great stuff here!

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

One of the more interesting concepts ESO had in its raid content was an enemy who corrupts your beneficial AoEs and used them against you.

So in GW2’s case, it’d make your water fields damage you, your fire fields weaken you, etc.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

One of the more interesting concepts ESO had in its raid content was an enemy who corrupts your beneficial AoEs and used them against you.

So in GW2’s case, it’d make your water fields damage you, your fire fields weaken you, etc.

Nice idea. Could be expanded upon to make our water fields, etc, benefit the boss instead of us.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

The V.8759

Like for this idea. It would give way more challening PvE gameplay

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

I once played an MMO called Aika Online and ther were 2 interesting Boss’es, one would remove your buffs and deal massive damaged per every buff removed, if you buffed yourself or party during the fight it was pretty much insta game over for you, the other one was practicaly mirror copy of class of that game, it had all the skills that player had and its AI knew well how to use them all to deadly efficiency.

The second one was fun and very challenging to fight, these every “kitten!!” moments you had when you saw the boss starting a very familiar looking skill animation that didnt forebode too well for you.

It would be nice if mobs/boss’es used more advanced skill set and had more varied stats, right now all mobs from same group have same skills and stats, so no variety in armor or hp etc. they all are the same.

BTW, all mobs use same professions as players as a basic to determind their avaliable conditions/boons/CC/Attacks it makes you wonder why they didnt expand on this more, gw1 mobs knew much better how to use their skills, tho it was still just spam.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

chuckles seeing another post that starts " I have been playing since launch

Like it makes an opinion worth more than anyone else’s ( maybe a carry over from WoW where every “veteran” has to boast about it )

Although I do like your suggestion !

I think that was more a defense response to prevent trolls from making statements like “you’ve obviously never played the game before” when he’s trying to start a discussion about what the subject is on.

Anyways, OP some of the temple bosses do plenty of boons and conditions for example Lyssa does them all the time, you’ll see who rows of people pointed outward because she’s doing her blinding phase where not only can you not target but you can’t use a skill.

As far as dragons are concerned the only one that needs fixing is the one they tried to turn into a raid. Seriously if these people want raids they should make it possible to create their own guild channel to fight a harder version of the dragon/wurm and restore the ones in the open world to what they were.

Let me remind you, that the open world zones were supposed to be for casuals.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!