PvE: Is Toughness and Vitality pointless?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I see them as training wheels. I take them off as I get more confident in avoiding damage.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

boost toughness and vitality then use a sharpening stone (+10% of your toughness and vitality to to attack power) bullet time mhahahaha

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

people fails to say that berserker and surviveability go alll along.
talkin about pve open world is pointless, anything with someexception (mostly orr and southsun) can be done with zerker builds.
in dungeons that’s not so true, obviously i’ talking about normal peoples and not self proclamed gods.
You can be an excellent player but probably you’ll end up dead anyway if other are not.
Even cof p1 as faceroll as itits may pose serious treaths to very unexp players if in zerker mode.
An all zerker Group (4 warr 1 mesm no noobs stuff) doesn’t always work, my mai is a warrior an i have two different geaar sets, 1 full zerker cause is fun and a knight one for when can’t affor to get downed for various reasonat’s first step in versatility , you cna mix match just going out of combat.
build actually sucks sice you have to talk to kitten npc.
Dungeon-wise the composition i apriciate most is 2 guard 2war and 1 either zerker staff ele, condition necro orzerker mesmer (dunno cond mesemer and how it works)
Every class is suitted to it role, personally in pve i don’t likebunker eles or those kinds of wired stuff.
we’re playing an rpg at the end.
If you have a warrior you can’t do anything better than go dps,with, if you have guard is plain stupid (IMHO!!!!)
As someone said we have no meters so i can’t be sure but inhard content you need still to do dps, so warrs (also thief) are needed and as Others said is better to spec for dps. but thm alone will last not too long.
here comes guardian role, they are no healers, true but can effectively negate Attacks, grant protections and other very jucy boons, just think at those awsome 12 stacks of might… mmm. true that these are stuff they can do full zerker but for dps to deal dps (lol) they need to get agro, if they get agro tey can get hit and probably is beter for them tu be def specced. don’t know guardian that deeply but in such formation an ah guardian and a more bunkerone would be perfect.
The idea is simple though guard get aggro, block some attacks when other fail at dodging, squishy warr do bad things.
still one more problem, warrs tend to be hard to play and theyr damange while awsome is situational, is burst, and not sustainable in a very hard fight.
what’s needed is then is someone capable to keep up the dps while warrs are away lickin theyr wounds or simply have to wait i.e. for that nasty aoe to vanish.
here is about preference, my favourite is ele, or better zerker staf ele.
I say ele cause he is so kitten versatile, all those cc (1 for all cc i mean freze, cripple and so, all those not affected by defiant!) healing, cond removal, massive aoe dps, blinds, and… say one ele has it. whith on top 1200 range and a sorrounding of combo fields.
this is a matter of preference, u can swap ele with mesmer for easyer content, or with necro for condition damange, wich is sustained damange for definition specially since mobs can’t remove them atm.

so no and no thoughness and vitality are usefull, very usefull, but make me laug to hear talkin aboutsome strange build, as much as those saying onluy warr only dps.
a good team composition is key to do harder content specially for common mortals.

god mode zerker guys soloing lupicus and saying tha is too easy, and that zerker is only way can either swap to a different game or try to solo him naked lol

p.s.
sadly atm i see no real good use for a ranger, often for engis too.. but since i blame anet for this, for not taking up to par with other classes, for not giving them their own personality, i never refuse tu pug with them. neither should you, at least you can consider it part of the challenge.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Unless you’re in an extremely well coordinated group, you’ll eat some hits no matter what—regardless of how perfectly you dodge—so a few hundred toughness won’t hurt. A lot of professions can get that right from their traitline.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”