PvE Stability Useless, yes USELESS!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

I’m going to be blunt here, so please excuse my rudeness…

Wake up devs and stop balancing this game around PvP!

Firstly, you should never, NEVER balance a game based solely on one part of the game, be that PvP, WvW or PvE! It’s just asking for trouble and further imbalance issues. That means SEPERATE skill mechanics for PvP and PvE.

Secondly, since you do not provide the ‘holy trinity’ in this game (Tank, Healer, DPS) we need to all be able to withstand some attacks. The Stability skill is a key factor here. Without it, we just get downed or killed because of certain attacks that are unavoidable.

Example: Ascalonian Catacombs Gravelings

I just did AC P1 on my Elementalist. I was the one fetching the scepter pieces in the graveling room. So, I took ‘Armor of Earth’ as one of my slot skills. This skill is supposed to be a stun-breaker as well as providing 6seconds of stability and reduced incoming damage. That is, until you guys completely ruined the skill and rendered it useless with the ‘new’ stability changes (nerfs).

So, I dodged the first graveling attack, and the second, and got pounced. No problem! Stun breaker and stability! I cast Armor of Earth, I’m standing up I have 10, yes 10!!!!!!!!! stacks of stability that last 6seconds. I should be standing there for the time I need to pickup the scepter piece, but noooooo thanks to the huge stability nerf, my Armor of Earth lasted all of 0.5seconds!!!!!! Half a bigfatkittening second!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?! What is the point of this skill if it doesn’t do what it says? And this was only ONE graveling that pounced me. How can this mob remove all 10 stacks instantly?

The point is, if you guys hadn’t completely ruined Stability in PvE, this wouldn’t be happening! Sort your stuff out and stop ruining the game we so love.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

A bug report is more useful to devs than a rant… just saying…

Posted by: Best Killua NA.4820

Best Killua NA.4820

Personally on an elementalist i take pure damage utilities and leave it to the guard to take hallowed ground. I personally have no problem with stability in pve, you just need some competent ppl to run dungeons with :p

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Personally on an elementalist i take pure damage utilities and leave it to the guard to take hallowed ground. I personally have no problem with stability in pve, you just need some competent ppl to run dungeons with :p

He was doing the solo run. Now why he didn’t slot three stun breakers I don’t know.

Posted by: Best Killua NA.4820

Best Killua NA.4820

He was doing the solo run. Now why he didn’t slot three stun breakers I don’t know.

oh woops my bad. i thought that when he did it on his ele he did it with a group :p.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Oh look OP is screaming. ANET’s really going to fix things now.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

This is a problem with the gravelings. They pulse knockdown after they start “eating” and it’s a really stupidly designed mechanic.

Try and analyze the situation before you complain. There’s a reason why 10 stacks of stab would be gone that quickly and it’s because of poorly designed enemy mechanics.

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

it isn’t a bug

theres A TON of PvE monsters who spam the knockdown so many times a secound that stability is USELESS

like Necro’s lich form, or plague form…..COME ON. i didn’t even know these COULD be knocked down.

they don’t have the animation for it.

but i know they knocked down, cause the stability stacks are gone, my skills all went on cooldown, and i cant MOVE.

WTF. it was ONE mordremoth!!!!!! ONE.

its getting overkill

other monsters it happens with, various bosses in fractals, as well as Arah, where the plaguebringers start pulling you left and right non stop.

RIP elite skills.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

(edited by arenta.2953)

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

it isn’t a bug

theres A TON of PvE monsters who spam the knockdown so many times a secound that stability is USELESS

like Necro’s lich form, or plague form…..COME ON. i didn’t even know these COULD be knocked down.

but i know they knocked down, cause the stability stacks are gone, my skills all went on cooldown, and i cant MOVE.

its getting overkill

other monsters it happens with, various bosses in fractals, as well as Arah, where the plaguebringers start pulling you left and right non stop.

RIP elite skills.

Been chained pulled by krait yet? Doesn’t even matter if you have stunbreakers slotted.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

And this was only ONE graveling that pounced me. How can this mob remove all 10 stacks instantly?

Perhaps the balance team has forgotten that there are such creatures in the world. Teragriffs, raptors, pesky spammers…

arenta.2953

it isn’t a bug

its getting overkill

RIP elite skills.

Been chained pulled by krait yet? Doesn’t even matter if you have stunbreakers slotted.

i’ve been avoiding them so far =/

but Anet really needs to fix stability…its just not right to have a plague(aka a swarm of bugs) knocked to the ground by a single enemy and then held there…….its a swarm of bugs!

the fact alone there is no animation for “knockdown” for plague and lich form shows that they shouldnt be knocked down. i’m surprised it doesnt crash the game honestly. cause thats a missing file error. usually a game client fatal error

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

next time try running d/f and triple cantrip.

you wont die or have stab issues during that part ever.

Posted by: FOX.3582

FOX.3582

I’m going to be blunt here, so please excuse my rudeness…

Firstly, you should never, NEVER balance a game based solely on one part of the game, be that PvP, WvW or PvE! It’s just asking for trouble and further imbalance issues. That means SEPERATE skill mechanics for PvP and PvE.

Secondly, since you do not provide the ‘holy trinity’ in this game (Tank, Healer, DPS) we need to all be able to withstand some attacks. The Stability skill is a key factor here. Without it, we just get downed or killed because of certain attacks that are unavoidable.

Example: Ascalonian Catacombs Gravelings

I just did AC P1 on my Elementalist. I was the one fetching the scepter pieces in the graveling room. So, I took ‘Armor of Earth’ as one of my slot skills. This skill is supposed to be a stun-breaker as well as providing 6seconds of stability and reduced incoming damage. That is, until you guys completely ruined the skill and rendered it useless with the ‘new’ stability changes (nerfs).

So, I dodged the first graveling attack, and the second, and got pounced. No problem! Stun breaker and stability! I cast Armor of Earth, I’m standing up I have 10, yes 10!!!!!!!!! stacks of stability that last 6seconds. I should be standing there for the time I need to pickup the scepter piece, but noooooo thanks to the huge stability nerf, my Armor of Earth lasted all of 0.5seconds!!!!!! Half a bigfatkittening second!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?! What is the point of this skill if it doesn’t do what it says? And this was only ONE graveling that pounced me. How can this mob remove all 10 stacks instantly?

The point is, if you guys hadn’t completely ruined Stability in PvE, this wouldn’t be happening! Sort your stuff out and stop ruining the game we so love.

Man learn to dodge… Most of the time I do that room solo on ele and I take no stunbreakers etc. Just dodge all attacks… -.-

What does the FOX say¿!

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

The OP ranting will be of no help whatsoever, but he got a point. The PVE content was designed around a duration stability, not a stacking one. Thing like gravelings (personnally, I rarely use stability there anyways), but more importantly the technicien in Arah rip through that new kind of stability because there weren’t design with the new stability in mind. Hopefully any new content will be designed differently and won’t have similar problem. But I really doubt that anet will go back and change the dungeon where this can cause an issue.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

We were running Arah p2 last night and I had the same issues with Inquest Technicians. Their perma stun is impossible to work through even when I pop balanced stance, and god help anyway who has two of them focusing them.

That being said, while I actually can get frustrated with how things are now, it’s very rarely am I in a situation that I even notice. Only in very specific dungeon paths.

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Use mist form and arcane shield next.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I have a guard in my guild and when I play ele, I bother him EVERY single time I get CCed.

He still doesn’t bring Hallowed Ground. What he DOES do, is turn all my Area Mights into Area Retaliations.

Don’t trust guards. They just love to watch the world burn :P

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Well, it’s true that balancing around PvP is garbage. they have like 1/20th the skills they had in gw1 & no real split skills. (having diff dmg amounts is not a significant split.)

it’s the main reason CC blows in PvE. how fun & useful is a 1 sec KD & a 3 sec root. it’s hilariously not worth it.

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I really think the stability changes were made with having defiance in mind and we only have half the changes in game atm.

I can see them maybe getting around to giving those certain ‘stability spam’ elites defiance or something in the future.

I’m also curious to see if defiance makes CC better in PVE at all too or if its just another joke PVP balance.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

We were running Arah p2 last night and I had the same issues with Inquest Technicians. Their perma stun is impossible to work through even when I pop balanced stance, and god help anyway who has two of them focusing them.

That being said, while I actually can get frustrated with how things are now, it’s very rarely am I in a situation that I even notice. Only in very specific dungeon paths.

I HATE those buggers! Hate! Dang you for bringing them up! Ohhhh I got some dang asura to kill. -_- Arah just makes me depressed to be a necromancer. ;-;

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s broken in WvW too and now all you see is blobs with range classes pewpewing each others. I made a thread about this almost a year ago titled “the stability changes were a mistake” or something similar.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This issue was brought up well before the announced stability nerf went into effect and they did nothing. Don’t expect any action.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Next time use Lightning Flash and Mistform. The Stab change was mainly for WvW anyway – in PvP it doesn’t make a lot of difference.

DarksunG.9537

I’m also curious to see if defiance makes CC better in PVE at all too or if its just another joke PVP balance.

The new defiance does nothing to make CC better in PvE. It’s exactly the same, but instead of removing 1 stack different skills remove different amounts. Then when defiance is gone, your CC doesn’t actually effect the mobs, it just triggers a boss phase it really is a joke.

CC is already ridiculously short duration, but against bosses it actually has no function. I don’t know why they make it so puny in PvE. DCUO & NWO have awesome, super fun CC.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s not useless, it just doesn’t work in that particular instance … you think there is a reason it wipes stab so fast? Probably because you shouldn’t be using stab there in the first place.

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

It’s not useless, it just doesn’t work in that particular instance … you think there is a reason it wipes stab so fast? Probably because you shouldn’t be using stab there in the first place.

Yes I agree, using stab to prevent knock down is a terrible idea.

Tbh, Fractals has been skewed since the Stability update.

The hammer on cliffside doesn’t provide stability to prevent being knocked down by the wind on the ladders.

Snowblind is just scrwed. The amount of KD is just stupid, I mean few classes can keep stability up for a decent amount of time as it stands. Given the amount of strips of stability that can occur in this instance. it’s just stupid.

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

arenta.2953

ok guys

new content with stability

DOES NOT WORK

you know the end of season 2 of living world? when you fight the shadow of the dragon?

yeah….FAIL

that shield gives you stability to give you time to light the divine fire walls.
and stop the dragon from knocking you up, or aside.

but NOT ANYMORE.

with “stacking stability” crap, the dragon RIPS through your PATHETIC excuse for stability. and knocks you straight out of that shield and into the air.

making the missions a PAIN IN THE kitten to do.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLL

it doesn’t help that, as a necro, your choices for heals are limited -.-

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

The main problem it lasts only 6 seconds and has 10 stacks so it wears off even before you get hit 10 times as well with anything KD or KB or stun related!

I usually just let them KD me instead or use something that blocks, its so broken and I’m an ele as well!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

There is no bug, Graveling Scavengers strip boons. Pre stab changes or not it would have done the same thing

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

My ranger has never had an issue with stability in PvE, but perhaps that’s because Rampage as One (take that anet) pulses stability for its duration.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

The new defiance does nothing to make CC better in PvE. It’s exactly the same, but instead of removing 1 stack different skills remove different amounts. Then when defiance is gone, your CC doesn’t actually effect the mobs, it just triggers a boss phase it really is a joke.

CC is already ridiculously short duration, but against bosses it actually has no function. I don’t know why they make it so puny in PvE. DCUO & NWO have awesome, super fun CC.

How would you know this? Was the old defiance system removed from dungeons in the beta weekends or something?

Posted by: Browrain.7346

Browrain.7346

Didn’t read the rest past this point. The devs have favored PvE compared to PvP since the game’s release. Saying they balance this game around PvP is a complete joke.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Solos content not intended for solo play.

Gets upset balance changes prefent him from exploiting broken content.

Rants on forums about PvP.

Old stability wasn’t just problematic for PvP.

Those mobs strip boons.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

ok guys

DOES NOT WORK

you know the end of season 2 of living world? when you fight the shadow of the dragon?

yeah….FAIL

that shield gives you stability to give you time to light the divine fire walls.

but NOT ANYMORE.

with “stacking stability” crap, the dragon RIPS through your PATHETIC excuse for stability. and knocks you straight out of that shield and into the air.

Wow this is bad.

I’m glad I did this at a time when stability worked the way the designers of this content imagined it would work.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well I did it after. With a class with no stability of it’s own or blocks or invulns. And I did the achievements.

It’s not that bad really.

Posted by: SwiftXShadow.4236

SwiftXShadow.4236

i dont think this guy realizes just how many people would quit this in an instant if they didnt balance it around pvp and started balancing around pve.

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

Anet does everything around PvP now. Look at the so called Elite specs. All PvP specs… purpose built for PvP… and labeled, “Elite”. Play PvE? You’re not l337 according to Anet.

THAT, is the issue here. An agenda that’s been driven so hard, large portions of the game is simply being left smoldering in its wake.

stof.9341

It’s not bad really, and said from the point of view of someone that doesn’t really PvP recently.

I mean, the game balance is more PvP oriented? Sure, just make the PvE look a little more like PvP. It’ll only be more fun to beat I think :p

MAGpie.7962

It’s not bad really, and said from the point of view of someone that doesn’t really PvP recently.

I mean, the game balance is more PvP oriented? Sure, just make the PvE look a little more like PvP. It’ll only be more fun to beat I think :p

I think you are confusing Fun with Frustrating.

stof.9341

As long as there’s no D/D Celestial Elementalist it should be fine :o

MAGpie.7962

As long as there’s no D/D Celestial Elementalist it should be fine :o

What about an immovable, uncritable object that spams AOE knock-back as its auto-attack? That sound fun to you? On, and you also have a debuff that kills you if you don’t cleanse it by a fire, that the object targets soon as you light it. Oh, and it has adds and literally blinds you every 25% of its health…. Yeah… tons of fun with no stab.

stof.9341

What about an immovable, uncritable object that spams AOE knock-back as its auto-attack? That sound fun to you? On, and you also have a debuff that kills you if you don’t cleanse it by a fire, that the object targets soon as you light it. Oh, and it has adds and literally blinds you every 25% of its health…. Yeah… tons of fun with no stab.

I was saying that having PvE work closer to sPvP wouldn’t be bad. So can you tell me which class and spec you use in your scenario to make that monstrosity? oO

MAGpie.7962

I was saying that having PvE work closer to sPvP wouldn’t be bad. So can you tell me which class and spec you use in your scenario to make that monstrosity? oO

ONLY, if everything else in PvE does as well.
And here is my monstrosity: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Snowblind_Fractal I face him almost daily.

But since you seem to have only PvP point of view, you really should perhaps be diligent in this thread. Allow me to elaborate and perhaps clarify: It is not that PvP stability is bad, its that its bad everywhere BUT in PvP… Something PvPers don’t seem to care about. And to be fair, why should they, its a totally different game mode. Trouble is, that same courtesy does not go the other way. PvE, is NOT considered when balancing, and this kind of nonsense continues to occur.

(edited by MAGpie.7962)

stof.9341

Which part of “just make the PvE look a little more like PvP” did you not understand?

MAGpie.7962

Which part of “just make the PvE look a little more like PvP” did you not understand?

The part where that is a far less practical enterprise than simply viewing it as two very different game modes.

You are suggesting changing every mob in the PvE environment to “reflect” in some way or another a PvP build or mechanic. Players are limited to a small number of things they can do, per class. This is not the case in the PvE environment. And for good reason. AI. It is simply not as intuitive as human player. Therefore, the developer must compensate by making the mobs a little different. THis is where they failed. See, when they changed the stability FOR (AND ONLY FOR) PvP, they failed to roll out that change in PvE… as, its is likely a very impractical thing to do…

That is why it HAS to be viewed as 2 entities that may have a lot of similarities, but is 2 parts of a venn diagram.

DarksunG.9537

Didn’t read the rest past this point. The devs have favored PvE compared to PvP since the game’s release. Saying they balance this game around PvP is a complete joke.

I can’t think of a more untrue thing to say about the balance in this game. Even Wooden Potatoes (who loves PvP) admits that one of the biggest problems with the game is that they balance everything around PvP.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

you can do that entire scepter run without getting hit once

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I can’t think of a more untrue thing to say about the balance in this game. Even Wooden Potatoes (who loves PvP) admits that one of the biggest problems with the game is that they balance everything around PvP.

Huge misnomer there, the game actually used to be balanced around multiple game types. Many skills actually functioned differently across PvP and PvE. Some of those got addressed with the Specializations patch, but not all balance is PvP based. I.E Condi changes being the biggest example of PvE.

So please don’t parrot a PvE figurehead about the state of balance.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

So? just run the same dungeon over and over and over again until you get the ascendedgear and or skins you need for wvw or pvp, that is all pve is there for.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

ok guys

DOES NOT WORK

yeah….FAIL

but NOT ANYMORE.

That knockup always ignored stability. You just have to be careful about timing your channel to avoid or counter the boss’s mechanics.

It still counters the 2 quick succession claw grabs that the shadow does, so if you wait for that knockup to hit (or miss), then start channeling within the bubble, you’re fine.

That said, and addressing the major topic: Separating effects that are countered by stability from the actual mechanic that removes a stability stack would let these things be balanced more effectively.